Great Balls of Fire

CN TowerThe big local news is the propane gas plant explosion at Keele and Wilson. Sunrise Propane, located just south of Downsview, sent massive fireballs into the sky just before dawn.

At least one firefighter was killed fighting the blaze and thousands have been evacuated from their homes. As Torontonians already know, a good chunk of the 401 has been shut down until things are brought under control.

Here's a great shot of the explosion by photojunkie who has more here.

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

Yeah.. was texted at 6 am about this.. I'm entirely too available.. not like there was anything I could do.. lol.. and not something I wanted to use for fodder.. awesome photo

August 10, 2008 @ 6:29 PM

Jill

Just came home (east of Toronto) from Brantford and the 401 was still closed. Took the DVP and when we hooked up with the 401 that was open again I wished I had my camera. Looking out my rear window was a sight I have never seen. No cars or movement on the 401......eerie!!

August 10, 2008 @ 9:41 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

*don't panic*

:O

wow, imagine if shit really hit the fan..

rofl

August 11, 2008 @ 6:32 AM

Toronto Mike

Jason, you're a bit of an insensitive jerk, but I'm guessing you already know that.

That's a residential neighbourhood. Before dawn there were explosions, a raging fire and thousands were told to leave their homes.

You ROFL. I don't live in that neighbourhood, yet I still don't think it's as funny as you do.

August 11, 2008 @ 9:40 AM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

I think the panic aspect is slightly amusing in contrast to the some of the things we will face in the future.

I didn't expect you to get that, but I'm guessing you already knew that.

I also wouldn't choose to live in such an area.

Get it through your thick head I was merely pointing out how fast people go into panic mode, like you would do without your iPod touch and GPS.

August 11, 2008 @ 11:37 AM

Toronto Mike

This isn't an isolated incident. If everyone who shops at Walmart is a dickhead, you're calling a lot of us decent folk dickheads.

August 11, 2008 @ 12:31 PM

Annemarie

I'm not too far away - closer than a lot of people who heard, felt and/or saw it, but I was fast asleep in my bed at the time and I'm not that heavy of a sleeper.

August 11, 2008 @ 12:41 PM

Ajax Mike

I was watching some late-night (ok, early morning) TV and stopped on an episode of Discovery Channel's "Destroyed in Seconds" for a bit. I thought I recognized some of the video in the super-fast cuts of the opening, and sure enough the first story of the episode was this incident. The video was pretty much what we saw on the news, except for one spectacular shot of an explosion that actually showed the shockwave moving through the air, glowing weirdly as it caught the light from the fires in the otherwise black scene.

Best part of the story? Repeated references to "Interstate 401" being shut down. :D

September 20, 2009 @ 11:40 AM

Toronto Mike

I'm just glad you remembered this entry and came back a year later. :-)

September 20, 2009 @ 1:10 PM