The Bible as a Weapon

bibleFor the Bible Tells Me So is a 2007 documentary directed by Daniel G. Karslake. A MetaFilter FPP linked to the entire doc on Google Video. Over the past couple of days, I watched all 1 hour and 39 minutes and it's extremely good.

For The Bible Tells Me So is about homosexuality and its perceived conflict with religion. I touched upon these themes over four years ago in God Hates Shrimp. If you want to upset me, share with me clips of religious leaders using the Bible to promote hatred. Everyone has their hot buttons, and the use of the Bible as a weapon is one of mine.

I realize it's a lot to ask, but if you have an hour and 39 minutes click here and check out a great doc that puts it all together. If you're a parent, you likely know the power of unconditional love, and this will strike a chord.

I have no idea what my six year old son or three year old daughter's sexual preference will be, and I'm proud to say it doesn't matter. The love I have for them, far too strong for words to adequately describe, is most definitely unconditional. It is without conditions or limitations.

Here's the trailer for For The Bible Tells Me So.

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

Makes me question religion as a whole all over again. How do these people get to that point where they see hate in the Bible.
Shows that religion can and does warp the untrained mind.

March 9, 2008 @ 2:23 PM

twins from bolton

AMEN. We as parents don't know about our kids sexual preferences when grow up.
Whatever their choice I will still love them.
Are you questioning the Roman Catholic view on this subject?

March 9, 2008 @ 2:28 PM

Toronto Mike

Haven't I already questioned the Roman Catholic views on just about everything? http://www.torontomike.com/losing_my_religion/

As far as I'm concerned, judging someone based on their sexual preference is the same as judging someone based on the colour of their skin or their gender.

March 9, 2008 @ 2:32 PM

Argie

Oh yes Mike, let’s discuss how awful the Bible has been interrupted – while ignoring the followers of the Koran. Its one thing to tell people they are sinners but to go out and kill them is another. You take the easy and SAFE route of criticizing Christians because you CAN. And before you or other city dwellers bring up the inquisitions or the Crusades (which were justified), try to look back on the past century and you’ll see the religion that has been guilty of the most violent acts against humanity.

For your information, a true Christian does not wish harm on homosexuals. The ACT is a sin – love the sinner hate the sin. It’s really quite easy to understand.

Peace!

March 10, 2008 @ 9:32 AM

Toronto Mike

I'm picking on the Bible because I live in North America and write from that perspective.

And I'm not criticizing Christians, I'm criticizing Christians who quote the Bible in order to justify their homophobia. This documentary is full of good Christians who don't believe homosexual "acts" are sinful.

It's selective literal interpretation without accounting for context and I think it's dangerous.

March 10, 2008 @ 9:46 AM

Argie

I really don’t see the problem here. If one is homosexual why would they care if some Christians believe their act is a sin? Just as I don’t care that Baptists believe that the drinking of alcohol, gambling and dancing are sins – I still drink, gamble and dance on occasion.

In my opinion the ills of today’s society (teenage pregnancy, STDs, abortion, drug dependency, etc) can be traced the increasing trend of people leaving the Church. The Church teaches discipline, faith, loyalty, and compassion for others – how can that be so bad? So many kids today sorely lack those qualities.

March 10, 2008 @ 10:08 AM

Toronto Mike

"If one is homosexual why would they care if some Christians believe their act is a sin?"

It's simple, Argie. "Love the sinner hate the sin" is a cop out. When the "sin" is hated, how can the "sinner" be accepted in the community, in a Christian family, in the church?

It's one and the same. With the Jimmy Swaggart's and Jerry Falwell's of the world telling their many devout followers that God says homosexuality is an abomination, it's naive to simply suggest homosexuals in that environment simply not care.

I'm not anti-discipline, I'm not even church-bashing here, it's the many religious groups who hate in the name of their God that really boils my potatoes.

March 10, 2008 @ 10:23 AM

Argie

Mike – The Catholic Church looks at homosexuality the same way it looks at pre-marital sex (they’re both sins). In both cases, the person committing the sin can be absolved by confessing their sins to a priest. You should know this – being a former Catholic.

Personally when I was committing the latter sin, I wasn’t concerned about what the Church thought and I especially didn’t care what Falwell or Swaggert thought.

March 10, 2008 @ 10:31 AM

Andrew

I think Argie's point is actually quite valid. If people did follow what the Bible said about love, respect, loyalty and ect.. the world would be a better place. Unfortuately as Mike points out, many "Christians" use the Bible as a weapon of hate.In reality they are not true Christians. The Bible does not condone homesexuality at all. There is not argument it is plain and simple. This is one of the major reasons I have such a disconnect with the Bible. I don't think it is wrong. The Bible and therefore God, says it is wrong. I disagree.

March 10, 2008 @ 10:32 AM

Toronto Mike

Guys, I'm all for love, respect and loyalty, even in the name of religion, I'm just tired of church-approved discrimination.

If you're going to condemn homosexuality, don't hide behind the Bible. No book makes bigotry okay.

March 10, 2008 @ 10:39 AM

Argie

Mike – Your argument that the Catholic Church discriminates against homosexuals is blown out of the water when you consider the Church attends to more AIDS patents than any other organization in the world (you can look it up). Your friends can thank God that there is such an organization to take care of them if/when needed.

March 10, 2008 @ 11:10 AM

Toronto Mike

Here's the disconnect. I'm not talking about the Catholic Church here. My entry wasn't about Catholicism, honestly.

March 10, 2008 @ 11:13 AM

Andrew

Argie....get a grip AIDS is not a gay disease. It's great that the Catholic Church helps people with AIDS but it is not relevant to the issue that some people use the Bible as a weapon. They can be any religion.

March 10, 2008 @ 11:25 AM

Argie

Andrew: My point is that the Church DOES NOT discriminate against homosexuals. If it did it, the volunteers who take care of AIDS patents would not attend to those that were homosexual? Is that difficult to understand?

March 10, 2008 @ 11:47 AM

Toronto Mike

Argie, can an openly gay man become a Catholic priest?

March 10, 2008 @ 11:50 AM

Argie

Mike: A priest must be celibate - therefore a person who is currently in a homosexual or heterosexual relationship is not eligible to be a priest. I do think it’s important the Church do a thorough screening of all seminarians to ensure pedophiles are kept out (both straight and gay).

March 10, 2008 @ 1:03 PM

dale

This documentary was probably done in the midwest or
southern U.S. where the "church" rules. It's TOO bad that MOST churches today preach from "their" bible & are living in the 19th century. If everyone was to follow their bible there would be MUCH more strife in our world today as most conflicts occur because of the black book.
People should beleive what they want as long as they live by the RULES of the country they live in(including homosexuals).
Should we segregate the homosexuals like the blacks during the 50's & 60's. I don't think so.
We are ALL put on this earth for a reason & if everyone was same in origin, religion, sexual orientation, etc. this world would be stagnent.

March 10, 2008 @ 1:05 PM

chris

Priest's celibate? I'm sure in 1 way or another including homosexuality, much like premarital sex is a sin & no catholics practice it.

March 10, 2008 @ 1:16 PM

Toronto Mike

Argie, you can be homosexual and not sexually active just like you can be heterosexual and not sexually active.

My point is, the Catholic church does discriminate against homosexuals. Don't kid youself.

March 10, 2008 @ 1:23 PM

Argie

Dale: You’re so misinformed. Look around the world. Look at Africa, south Asian, the far east, the middle east. The one religion that is at the heart of every conflict is Islam. There’s no denying it. I don’t believe they read the Bible.

March 10, 2008 @ 1:25 PM

dale

Islam is on of the most adhered to religions by their people. I think they read the wrong bible (not yours).
They are so strong in their beliefs, conflicts occur.
These people were brought up with their religion & anything against it, problems will happen.
Are their any Islamic homosexuals?

March 10, 2008 @ 1:41 PM

LEW

Religion itself proves that faith does exist without religion; however can religion continue to exist without the belief in divine priority?

March 10, 2008 @ 3:28 PM