What Really Matters?

usaI am not American nor have I ever lived in the United States of America, so I realize how it may be perceived were I to throw stones at our neighbours to the south. Fully understanding that we aren't perfect up here and those living in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, a couple of grains of web dust I've absorbed lately have me frightened for my friends in the States.

First I read about Barbara Walters and her concerns about the Christmas card she received from the White House.

“Usually in the past when I have received a Christmas card, it's been 'Happy Holidays' and so on,” said Walters.

But the veteran anchor expressed dismay that President Bush and the First Lady would send out a “religious Christmas card” with a direct Bible verse from the Old Testament printed inside:

“You alone are the LORD. You made the heavens, even the highest heavens, and all their starry host, the earth and all that is on it, the seas and all that is in them. You give life to everything, and the multitudes of heaven worship you.”

After reading the scriptural message of the card, Walters asked in a critical tone, "Does this also go to agnostics, and atheists, and Muslims?"

"Don't you think it's a little interesting,” continued Walters in her questioning, “that the president of all the people is sending out a religious Christmas card?"

The card, which was paid for by the Republican National Committee, closes: “May the joy of all creation fill your heart this blessed season 2007.”

When did the nation of America and Christianity become so intertwined? America doesn't have an official religion, does it? Does Dubya know this? Aren't there many Americans who are non-Christian?

Then, I saw the ad below from Mike Huckabee. Huckabee is in hot pursuit of the GOP presidential nomination and has clearly decided to focus on the evangelical Dubya voters. Could a political ad be more religious? This scares the shit out of me. Is there any separation of church and state in the USA anymore?

If Huckabee is Bush 2.0, God help us all.

Tee

It's a CHRISTmas card, shouldn't it be CHRISTian?
Plus, it's not paid for out of public funds.

December 19, 2007 @ 10:20 PM

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

If they are not paid for out of public funds then who pays for it? George W. Doesn't send those out out of his own pocket trust me, hes too cheap.
It should be a Holiday card if its going to every American Household.

December 20, 2007 @ 7:41 AM

Ajax Mike

It doesn't really matter who pays for it, or the fact that it's a CHRISTmas card. Politics is Perception and TorontoMike has hit the nail on the head. A greeting card coming from the Commander in Chief is a reflection on the government as a whole. Scary...

December 20, 2007 @ 8:43 AM

Toronto Mike

It's regression. Dubya should go back and read some John Locke. Heck, he should just go back two hundred years and read Thomas Jefferson and James Madison. They understood the importance of separating the church and state.

Ajax Mike is right, it doesn't matter who pays for it, it only matters that it's from the President and, naturally, could be viewed as a reflection of the government as a whole.

I just wrote a Seasons Greetings card for clients of a software company. I didn't use the "christ" string once. It was "seasons greetings" and "happy holidays" and "happy new year". Do you know why? Because many of the recipients will be Jewish or Muslim or Hindu or agnostic or atheist or whatever.

It's all about optics... unless you're celebrating Festivus.

December 20, 2007 @ 9:07 AM

Anonymous

I am so sick of this political correctness! This time of year, the tree represents the wilderness that Mary and Joseph were in, the gifts represent the gifts from the Wisemen etc… this is all about Christmas. The direct translation is Christ’s Mass. Christ the Christian/Catholic leader and the Mass is a celebration of his life. Why do we Christians have to shut-up and give up the true meaning/name. Why do we have to transform and be made to change or be beaten down for the name of our celebration. We do not ask that of any other religious group and we sit back and take it in the name of correctness, and that is just plain wrong. No one seems to have a problem with taking the time off that companies offer in the name of Christmas, or if they work making double or triple time. So if someone wishes you a Merry Christmas that is a blessing not a slap in the face. I see no problem with the card or the message it was from their heart and their belief's and that is what matters, it's not a message that is being forced down anyone throat it's a wonderful shared gift.

December 20, 2007 @ 10:03 AM

Argie

He says “the celebration of the birth of Christ, spending time with family & friends” is what Christmas is all about. How the hell is he scary? People are so fearful of faith (especially the Christian faith). Remember folks, we aren’t the ones blowing up markets and cafes.

Let’s hope and pray that Huckabee is the next President.

December 20, 2007 @ 2:06 PM

Ajax Mike

"Remember folks, we aren’t the ones blowing up markets and cafes."

Depending on where in the world you live, some folks would disagree. And they wouldn't be entirely incorrect.

December 20, 2007 @ 2:08 PM

Argie

Ajax Mike: I’m not aware of any Christian suicide bombers, terrorists or jihadist. Please enlighten me.

December 20, 2007 @ 2:23 PM

Toronto Mike

"Therefore, I am convinced that I am acting as the agent of our Creator. By fighting off the Jews, I am doing the Lord's work."
- Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf

December 20, 2007 @ 2:35 PM

Andrew

Argie, you anti-muslim beliefs are clouding your already confused judgement.

History has proof of when "Christians" have done many different acts of violence in the name of their God. People are not fearful of faith, they are fearful of fundamentaltists on all sides of religion.

December 20, 2007 @ 2:36 PM

Argie

Hitler is not a threat to anyone anymore. In case you haven’t heard, he’s dead!

Why do anti-Christians always bring this guy up? Your buddies Stalin and Mao killed far more people than Hitler.

December 20, 2007 @ 2:39 PM

Argie

Andrew: You seem like a bright enough guy to distinguish between a Christian fundamentalist and an Islamic fundamentalist? Aren’t you?

One will say you’re a sinner while the other just blow you up. I’m going to take my chances with the Christian fundamentalist.

And before you mention abortion doctor killers, there have been 2 recorded cases in history. There were 2 recorded cases of Islamic suicide bombings in the past minute.

December 20, 2007 @ 2:44 PM

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

Okay whose votes does Huckabee want? Does he only want Christians votes or does he want the votes of Jews, Atheists, Muslims, and others? The message clearly is one sided and its inappropriate. IT should be a happy holidays not a message specific to christianity.

December 20, 2007 @ 4:09 PM

Ajax Mike

Argie, those who are currently 'blowing up markets' aren't targeting Christians, they're targeting civilians. They're not making any distinctions whatsoever. Much like bombs dropped from aircraft. I'm not saying they're right, I'm just saying that's what they believe. They think they're justified because that what they've perceived the West does to them.

As for Christian 'jihadists', the simple example from history is the Crusades. More recently, one only needs to look in Northern Ireland to see terrorist violence based on Western/Christian religion and politics.

The situation in the middle east continues to go on and on because of all the outside players with a stake in the outcome. If Northern Ireland was the world's gas pump, you can bet the violence there would be ongoing too.

December 20, 2007 @ 5:42 PM

felix

As a Canadian living in the US of A, it's a little disturbing to me, as well. Mike (I Heart) Huckabee(s) is obviously targeting his largest support base, i.e. the Christian conservatives. I hope sanity prevails or I may have to seriously consider moving back to the Great White North, eh.

December 20, 2007 @ 8:07 PM

Tee

We celebrated Festivus last weekend. We had an iron pole instead of an aluminum one, not as high of a weight:strength ratio, but it worked.

It's not Jews, Muslims, Hindus, or other religious people that are offended by Christmas greetings, it's the post-Christian agnostics and atheists.

I definitely agree with you Mike that more politicians should read the work of Thomas Jefferson. Government's role is to protect private property rights and resolve contract disputes, and little else.

December 20, 2007 @ 8:41 PM