Tom Rivers on CFTR

radioA couple of years ago, I wrote about my Toronto morning radio show history. I've listened to a few different morning shows throughout the years, but it all started with Tom Rivers and the Rivers Air Force on 680 CFTR.

Tom Rivers passed away a few years ago, but I'll never forget my first favourite DJ. Checking my RSS feeds this morning, I found a great entry from Shane Alexander sharing a clip of Tom Rivers doing his show back in 1988. I might have left Rivers for Jesse and Gene on Q107 by this time, but it's that same show I loved complete with Rusty and the Unfriendly Giant. If you remember Toronto radio in the 1980s, you'll love this clip.

Pete Kic

Mike,

What's the link to that Tom Rivers thing?

I would love to send it to my teacher.

Pete

May 12, 2007 @ 1:53 AM

Toronto Mike

Well, if you don't want to send your teach this link, you can send him/her http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3089137416163061650.

May 12, 2007 @ 8:20 AM

i got it from the
yellow board. ;)
rocknroll.
shaner.

May 12, 2007 @ 5:22 PM

Al

Ah that brought back some memories. I was a CFTR faithful listener through the Tom Rivers and Jessie and Gene eras right up to when they went all-news, then I switched exclusively to the Fan590. I remember the RAF well and yes, the unfriendly giant too.

Here's an interesting fact that you may or may not know. The guy in that clip doing most of the voices for Tom Rivers is Erik Tomas, the host of Raceline Radio on the Fan590, he also did Leaf games on CH and Global in the 80's. A few months back he was chatting with one of the other fan personailities about his days with Tom. They even played clips from the unfriendly giant show.

May 14, 2007 @ 10:24 AM

Phil

does anyone know where to get copies of "The Unfriendly Giant" episodes?

May 18, 2007 @ 12:58 PM

Toronto Mike

I don't know, but I know Shane Alexander above worked with Tom Rivers. Shane, any idea?

May 18, 2007 @ 1:14 PM

shane alexander

phil,
i'm not sure if the show is up for grabs, but i do know erik thomas (info@raceline.ca) has a bunch of copies.

you might also want to ask this guy - http://www.shroomazoom.com/ufg/

hope you can find a couple.
they were all classics.

June 6, 2007 @ 9:41 PM

Andy Martens

Mike,

Tom Rivers was best. I remember listening to his shows on CHUM and CFTR.

September 22, 2007 @ 10:33 PM

Craig Cunningham

Hi guys!

I was fortunate enough to obtain 3 of The Unfriendly Giant episodes from another source. If you'd like a copy, please email me.

Cheers!

November 11, 2007 @ 3:43 PM

shane alexander

hi craig. what's your e-mail?

November 15, 2007 @ 6:02 PM

Toronto Mike

c_cunningham3@hotmail.com

November 15, 2007 @ 7:00 PM

Doug (Champ) Avery

Hey all, just wanted to say how nice it was to see us all doing the unfriendly giant again, man did that bring back some memories. Eric truely is an amazing talent , he did a ton of voices for us on the show ...like the Queen, Danny Gallivan and any other accent you could think of just to point out a few.
Take care all
Doug

December 5, 2007 @ 7:59 PM

Brightmoon

Wow. Absolutely incredible. You just don't hear radio like that anymore. I've always heard about the "Unfriendly Giant" but never heard a show until now. What a hoot!

January 6, 2008 @ 10:13 AM

Charlie

Those are some great videos. I was a huge fan of Cftr.I remember the unfriendly giant,Mike Cooper's stupid joke of the day,and I remember listening to Steve Gregory.I really miss those days of radio.There's no character anymore...or very little of it.

February 2, 2008 @ 11:53 AM

Charlie

February 2, 2008 @ 12:31 PM

Tim

I remember taping some episodes of 'Unfriendly Giant' on my family's dual cassette recorder (man, those were huge)- but they got lost when I moved out...
(sound of window smashing and giraffe's fading screams)
Rusty: What's Jerom doin?
Unfriendly: About 65 last time I checked.
Tom helped my wit to no end.

March 9, 2008 @ 7:04 PM

shroomAzoom

Hi Guys,
Great to see Tom and Erik doing their thing on video. This is the first time I've seen them "live." Thanks for digging this up!

I've still got my Unfriendly Giant webpage up at my website and I've got links to my two Unfriendly Giant cartoons.

April 9, 2008 @ 11:48 AM

Louise

Hello out there. I have been trying to get clips from The Unfriendly Giant for ages. I totally loved that radio show, anyone got any links or info? Thanks

July 4, 2009 @ 4:43 PM

Graham

you gotta get this on facebook if it's not already.

August 9, 2009 @ 10:58 PM

Anonymous

I was happy to post my friends, any questions, e mail Steve Gregory. steve.gregory@chumradio.com

December 2, 2009 @ 8:51 PM

Steve Gregory

I was happy to post my friends, any questions, e mail Steve Gregory. sgregory@939bobfm.com

December 2, 2009 @ 8:58 PM

Craig Cunningham

Hey everybody!

I've finally found it! 17 episodes of the Unfriendly Giant available to download!!!
It's a torrent site, but amazing quality!

If anyone has trouble with it, please let me know; I can send you a copy of the CD.

Please enjoy!

April 18, 2010 @ 4:14 AM

Mich Verrier

Hi all. I to really enjoyed the the Unfriendly Giant. I used to lissen to it on cjkl hear in Northern Ontario Canada. I to taped a few eps off the radio but i don't know where the tapes are. and to Craig Cunningham
I would really like a coppy of that audio cd please and thank you. feel free to e mail me at mich@ntl.sympatico.ca for my mailing address etc. also does any one remember the dead dog cafe? that used to be on cbc? that was also a good radio show. from Mich from New Liskeard Ontario Canada.

July 29, 2010 @ 8:47 AM

Dave McCormick

CFTR was an amazing station back in the 1980's from Jim Brady, John Landecker, Tom Rivers to Jessie & Gene. Bill Hayes, Mike Marshall, Dan Williamson, Mike Cooper, Kris James, Steve Gregory, John Hinnon, Larry Silver. i'm sure i'm missing a few more (Larry Fedorik/Erik Thomas). If this station had survived I may not have moved to Sirius XM Satellite.

December 11, 2010 @ 12:00 AM

al

Hi craig how can I get a copy of the 17 episodes of the unfriendly giant can you email me at ezrider@sasktel.net with a link. Thanks Al

March 26, 2011 @ 10:51 PM

Jeff

Would LOOOVE a copy of this. I used to have them all somewhere. lost the CD. Dying to get them again. I had been talking to Tom a while back about offering them as a CD and then he passed.

jmmccann@gmail.com

March 28, 2011 @ 3:07 PM

Jackie Remers

Looking to get a copy of the 17 episodes of the unfriendly giant. My husband and I love them.

Pleas e-mail me copies if possible. Thanks.

December 14, 2011 @ 10:12 AM

Jackie Remers

Hi there Jackie here again. Here is my e-mail jackieremers@hotmail.com
if anyone has a copy.

thanks

December 14, 2011 @ 10:13 AM

John

Loved Tom and the crew, Darrell in the air, Eric, Sonny, Partly Cloudy, and the Swami(even Dick Smythe) miss 'em like crazy, need to post this stuff on youtube. Corey Fedoruk and a hardy Thank ya Silvers(Larry is on KFUN Kitchener and Silverisms live)

April 5, 2013 @ 2:27 PM

Sharon

Does anyone have audio files of some of Tom Rivers' radio songs? They were hilarious! I remember "Her name was Bop Shoo Wop" and "A Little Ditty 'Bout Andrew and Stark", among others.

November 11, 2013 @ 11:22 PM

megan

Argh. all the unfriendly links I find are broken

October 8, 2014 @ 11:48 AM

Yeti monster

Anyone.out there have the unfriendly giant on cd at all???? I barely know how to pick my nose,let.alone run a computer. PLEASE HELP! THESE SHOWS WERE THE FUNNIEST THING EVER!!!

March 20, 2016 @ 12:22 AM

chris

I had forgotten about unfriendly giant bits until I read these comments. Does anyone still have any? Any links that still work? I would love to hear them again and does anyone have any Tom River's call of the day? I still remember Rivers leading some guy down the garden path about his car's back window being taken out by an errant Radar bounce. Funny funny stuff.

November 18, 2016 @ 12:01 PM