Toronto Rocks Intro and Hosts Clarification

cntowerThe passing of John Majhor got me thinking about "Toronto Rocks". Majhor was the original host of "Toronto Rocks", a video show I used to watch after school.

For the longest time I thought J.D. Roberts was also a host of that show. It turns out my mind was playing tricks on me. Despite what I wrote here, J.D. Roberts never hosted "Toronto Rocks". Brad Giffen took over for John Majhor and J.D. Roberts hosted "The New Music".

I couldn't find a clip of John Majhor hosting "Toronto Rocks", but I did find this intro with Brad Giffen at the helm. This brings back a boat load of memories. Hopefully they're a little more accurate this time.

Stephanie

Wow!

Yes. As soon as I saw that little booth I remembered 4pm right after school. I used to watch Video Hits with Samantha Taylor at 5 on channel 5.

I went to pulse24.com and there was a segment with John Mahjor from April 1985. Funnier still that I remember that episode. Just becuase of the pictures of the hotel and that Paul McCartney had stayed there.

Anyhow, sad that he died so young.

January 23, 2007 @ 6:03 PM

Mike Boon

Yep, Video Hits was the other video show I watched after school. Video Hits was on CBC while Toronto Rocks was on CityTV.

I wonder what Samantha Taylor is up to these days...

January 23, 2007 @ 6:30 PM

Rebecca

I too thought Toronto Rocks was hosted by JD Roberts. A few weeks ago I was telling my dad that they guy on CNN use to host the show. I guess your mind plays tricks on you in old age :) I use to love wathcing the show. What a time in history, the being on music videos. I use to tune if the 1/2 at 4 then watch the Y&R at 430. Do you remeber Video Hits on the CBC?

January 25, 2007 @ 6:53 AM

Rick

In 1987 (January) I met a couple from Toronto in the Dominicun Republic. They were two of the best and most fun loving people iève ever met. It was in fact Brad Giffens brother and sister in-law Randy & Brenda.
After visiting them at thier home in West Toronto I lost track of them. I know they made the decision to move to the U.S (Florida) but I never received forwarding info.
I refuse to forget the good people since they hardly exist in our society.
I hope to find them soon.
Rick

May 25, 2007 @ 12:56 AM

Ravi

J. D. Roberts was the intermediate host of Toronto Rocks (very briefly) and sometimes filled in for John Mahjor. There weren't that many episodes where J.D. appeared. I know because I have VHS recordings of videos of him in it. He was obviously on The New Music. Brad Giffen came after...and if I remember correctly, I could have sworn I seen Brad Giffen model wearing coats for a clothing store in the Toronto Sun. John Mahjor was a great host...RIP
It's nice seeing JD Roberts (John Roberts) on CNN. Did you know Ali Velshi is from TO as well?

February 7, 2008 @ 10:45 AM

Toronto Mike

So I wasn't losing my mind. I remember J.D. Roberts hosting Toronto Rocks.

February 7, 2008 @ 10:49 AM

HUGH

Update.
He moved back to Toronto to do modeling when he got into TV. He was the face of formal rentals in Toronto in the 80's - 90's .
Brad Giffen was doing TV news in Sarasota Florida.
I just saw him today reporting on CTV news at noon !

June 20, 2008 @ 2:29 PM

Tony

Brad is in fact with CTV News Toronto now...he will be filling in for the summer, which may lead to a more permanent position.

June 28, 2008 @ 11:37 AM

CHUCKY

Hey i saw Brad as well on CTV and i fondly remember him at Toronto Rocks? God im getting old!

July 20, 2008 @ 2:21 PM

Duckieleigh

JD had a girlfriend in Toronto named Julie a model

August 6, 2008 @ 12:27 AM

Sandra Cormier

I met J.D. back in the eighties when I worked at Henry's around the corner from the old City building on Queen. He was really nice. It was then I discovered his real name when he signed his credit card "John Robertson".

I saw Brad Giffen on CTV this morning and he looked so familiar! I had to Google him. Welcome back, Brad!

April 28, 2009 @ 8:42 AM