Guest Blog Entry

Ink StainAnyone is welcome to submit a Guest Blog Entry to torontomike.com. I received the following entry earlier today.

Andrew Smith a 20 year old charged with manslaughter in the Jane Creba case was let out on bail today. WHY?????? He was the person caught on tape escorting another person to a hospital after they were shot during the melee. He even acknowledged it what himself on the tape.

Within 1 year (since July/05) he has been let on bail 2 other times on charges for assault & major drug offenses.

He had no comment when released. BUT I DO. LOOK OUT TORONTO he's out AGAIN much like many others due to technicalty's or no room at the T.DOT. INN.

David Miller OPEN YOUR EYES.

I don't want to hear about innocent until proven guilty - that's a cop out. Maybe the count on him is 2 strikes & 3 balls & he's wating for a walk. Next pitch!!!!!!!!!

chris

No other event since I started this blog in 2002 has struck a nerve the way the shooting of Jane Creba on Boxing Day did. Here's a quick glance at the guest blogs written on the subject and my initial response the day after. The location, the time of day, the holiday, it truly got people talking about our city, the increase in gun-related crime and hopeful solutions to the problem at hand.

Nine are facing murder and manslaughter charges and 25 people in total have been charged following Creba's murder. I'm not about to share your outrage that this one of the 25 got bail. All are innocent until proven guilty and all 25 deserve a fair trial. May justice prevail.

chris

He's out on bail - others to proabably to follow. How many more innocent people will suffer in 1 way or an other before their trial????
The door is locked & the key is LOST!

July 6, 2006 @ 10:15 PM

Jill

I do not buy into the whole "innocent until proven guilty." Our legal system is not that cut and dry and has many flaws. The Young Offenders Act needs revisions to exempt violent and gun-related offenses.
I still believe there may be wisdom in trying to refocus kids caught stealing from
department stores, but murder is not congruent with light sentencing. These are hardcore criminals and need to be treated as such.
Laws need to be passed that force judges to automatically deny bail to offenders charged with gun or gang-related crimes.
The suspect’s lawyer said his client has made plans for the weekend.
You cannot know how glad I am that his client has ‘plans for the weekend.’
Jane Creba, 15, could not be reached for comment.

July 6, 2006 @ 10:47 PM

chris

Jill I totally agree with you. What are his plans for weekend - another crime. Out with his freinds for the 1st time in a long time & time to do something. His name will surface in the next 1-2 months - bank on it.
chris

July 7, 2006 @ 12:00 AM

Mike H

Wow. "I do not buy into the whole 'innocent until proven guilty'" So you'd prefer court systems pre-dating the concept, which goes back to oh, around the mid 1700's. Sounds like a great idea to me. Now where'd I put my iron maiden and rack?

July 7, 2006 @ 1:20 AM

Mike Boon

As a headline goes, "released on bail three times in one year" is shocking. Thankfully, we don't make decisions based on headlines. Nothing is black and white.

Having said that, I don't think anyone is particularly pleased this guy's out on the streets enjoying an awesome weekend in the city. My point is, we don't know much more than that headline right now and there's probably a little more here than meets the eye.

Evil Duke: Put them in the iron maiden.
Ted: Iron Maiden?
Bill, Ted: Excellent!
[air guitar]
Evil Duke: Execute them.
Bill, Ted: Bogus!

July 7, 2006 @ 7:58 AM

Jill

Mike H....You view my comments as archaic(spelling?) but I think reviews and revisions to the Young Offenders Act as needed is progressive and proactive. The whole innocent until proven guilty is bullshit. It is a nice idea but don't fool yourself to think that is how our legal system works. I speak of this with first hand experience watching a loved one being charged for a crime which they did not commit and were later exonerated but left with a $15,000 debt to pay for legal defense and the horrid experience of having to be handcuffed, fingerprinted and hve their mug shot. I too was disillusioned by our legal system. This is a very different case with more serious charges and I would hope that prior to releasing someone on bail the judge would read the facts and the criminal history of the accused.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.......Admiral Kirk, Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan.

July 7, 2006 @ 11:11 AM

Mike H

I too have had friends accused of crimes that they did not commit. A good friend had her children taken away from her. Thankfully after full investigation they were returned about 6 months later, but not without permanent & lasting effects from the experience.

I would readily agree that the justice system as we have it in Canada is too lenient on habitual criminals and those who commit "minor" crimes like sexual abuse. However, we cannot afford the luxury of taking the easy way out and start presuming guilt before innocence. While it may in fact put more guilty people behind bars and keep them there, it will also cause far more innocents going to jail without cause. It is far better to let 1000 guilty men to go free than it is to imprison even 1 innocent.

"Because the needs of the one...outweigh the needs of the many." Admiral Kirk, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

July 7, 2006 @ 1:17 PM

chris

Amen. First & even 2nd time offenders should be given the opportuntity of 2nd chances but this SLIMEBALL - 3 charges within 1 year.
Give your heads a shake for those who beleive requires another chance. Sounds like Monopoly - no chance cards here - do not pass go & go directly to jail until your court date.

chris