Popeye Cigarettes

Question MarkI just raided the remnants of James' Halloween treats and there's not much left. We're down to the nitty gritty here. I did find a package of Popeye cigarettes which I've already devoured.

Of course, they aren't called Popeye cigarettes anymore. They're called Popeye candy sticks and they're exactly like they were when I was a kid except they no longer have that red tip that let you know which end is lit. I remember pretend smoking these cigarettes before chomping them down. I'm sure every person born before 1982 or so remembers this ritual of youth.

The intent of this entry is not to chastise society for a politically correct overreaction but to question how it is these things were sold until so recently. Was there ever a time when candy cigarettes seemed like an appropriate staple of a candy store diet? I'm almost certain I was enjoying these things in the 80s and I'm shocked they held on that long.

Sometimes a politically correct overreaction is just what the doctor ordered.

Anonymous

I remember popeye cigarettes and I was born in '89!

July 19, 2008 @ 2:36 AM

Anonymous

I was born in '90 and never actually saw the cigarettes, but we still call them cigarettes and pretend to smoke them.

July 22, 2008 @ 9:41 PM

Anonymous

the popeye sticks today are not the sticks i remember in the 60s.they were made perferctly round and had a red tip that had a taste of their own,even the taste today is different and thease were made in England.

November 21, 2008 @ 12:01 AM

Anonymous

Once it called Candy Cigarettes, it really candy cigarettes. There is nothing illegal there.

April 8, 2009 @ 10:34 AM

Anonymous

Your wrong the popeye cigarettes they sell now do not taste like the ones of our childhood they lack the flavour that they had years ago.

June 12, 2011 @ 11:24 AM

Anonymous

Yea,

The popeye cigarettes taste is totally not the same, they had a Root-Beer flavour & the texture of the candy is not right (the candy would crumble in your mouth). They use to be made in England & I am sure come from China, it's like the rest of the crap that is hammered into our lives!! Flavourless & crap, Thanks Walmart!!!

June 12, 2011 @ 11:48 AM

Anonymous

Yea,

June 12, 2011 @ 11:49 AM

cylene

I have always loved Popeye cigarettes. I was born 1985 and was still finding them with the red tip in my child's Halloween bag! Which wasn't long ago at all! Hmmm there soon good I'm actually eating them now...and was wondering when they stopped making the red tips! So I googled it lol

July 28, 2013 @ 12:33 AM

cylene

The taste is different also!

July 28, 2013 @ 12:35 AM

Johny comelately

Yes, the originals were thicker and had red tips!

November 29, 2015 @ 10:47 PM