Mr. Mugs

Mr. MugsI just found a very old Mr. Mugs book. Mr. Mugs was a sheep dog who starred in a series of books designed to help young children learn to read. I had several as a young child and even read them in kindergarten. It's fair to say Mr. Mugs had a huge role in teaching me how to read.

Surprisingly, there's very little about Mr. Mugs on the Internet. Is Mr. Mugs that obscure a reference? I assumed most children learning to read in the late 70s would have the same attachment to this mutt that I have. Apparently not.

Here's a scan of the cover and another page from the copy I just found. You know it's dated by the fact the second picture shows the dad smoking a pipe. Try and find someone smoking in children's reading books used in schools today. Let me know if you remember Mr. Mugs fondly or if I'm the lone member of this shaggy dog's fan club.

Charity Maggio

Hey Mike,
Just so you know your not the only Mr mugs fan I am too. Where did you find the book and do you remeber Mr. Wiskers. I am looking for copies of the old school readers that we used to read when we were in school. If yuo could help me out that would wonderful.
Sincerly a fellow
Mr. Mugs reader

January 16, 2007 @ 4:55 PM

Mike Boon

Of course I remember Mr. Wiskers.

I only have that one copy of Mr. Mugs. I think I'll take a picture of each page and share the whole thing with everyone else who remembers these books from kindergarten.

January 16, 2007 @ 5:51 PM

Robin Lepine

I grew up reading Mr Mugs in school. I have tried on numerous occasions to find copies of the books. It is very far and few between that I meet people who remember Mr Mugs.

March 16, 2007 @ 2:05 PM

Jack Faria

I too loved Mr. Mugs. He taught me to read and write when I moved to Canada in the mid 70`s. I moved back to Portugal a few years ago and have two young daughters. I would love to get some of Mr. Mugs books to teach them english but can`t find them enywhere. Is there enyone knows how I can get some of these lovable books?

March 22, 2007 @ 4:44 PM

Mike Boon

I scanned the only book I have. My son has been learning to red with it, but I can't find another.

March 22, 2007 @ 7:01 PM

Steve Consiglio

I grew up in Canada, but now live in England. I like everyone else in this forum also learned how to read with Curt, Jan, Pat and of course Mr. Mugs in the 70's. I would love my twins to learn how to read with those books, except they would be saying mum rather than mom!

May 18, 2007 @ 5:37 PM

Mike J

I fondly remember the books with the big sweet sheepdog....I suppose the reason they arent well known is, they were a completely Canadian thing.....You know what Americans are like, if it wasnt invented there....
Anyway, I wish i could find a few MMs books, Id snap them right up, if the price was right.

August 28, 2007 @ 2:09 AM

Anonymous

Mr Mugs was the best book and i also grew up reading those books!! i'm a huge fan of Mr Mugs...it's to bad i cant seem to find much on the where abouts of Mr Mugs books....Like MikeJ said I'd snap them up in a heart beat too....I know ebay is selling a few...

September 12, 2007 @ 3:02 PM

Mr. Mugs Fan too!

I have a whole collection of Mr. Mugs for my children as well - and I also have some extra's I am posting on ebay -- so look in the next few days
I may even have some Mr. Whiskers too!

Kari

November 9, 2007 @ 6:12 AM

Maria Fionda

Mr. Muggs!

I've been searching for him everywhere on the Internet and for those books that I learned to read from. Such good memories... Any suggestions on where I can find the books?

December 1, 2007 @ 2:01 PM

Molly

Does anybody know the "poem" from Mr. Mugs that starts out "we had a picnic we had fun"

December 28, 2007 @ 9:49 PM

Glenda

I DID snap up the series of Mr. Mugs for my now 18 year old and they are now at the lake. Aren't readers the greatest. The home reading program that my youngest is on is so crappy. There is no continuity in the characters or gentle gradiation between the books or the levels. I say, "Bring Back Readers!"

January 6, 2008 @ 12:41 AM

Anonymous

I saw Mr. Mugs on my street today and all the story memories came back, came into work and googled him! I love that dog - he saved me from failing Grade 2!

January 28, 2008 @ 4:47 PM

Kathy from Toronto originally

Gosh what a memory!

I had been thinking about Mr. Mugs for years. I remember the one reader was about Mr. Mugs and a rocket ship. There was pink popcorn in that one. I reall Mr. Whiskers too! Maybe we need to get Ginn and Company to revive the books for our grandkids.

March 11, 2008 @ 1:16 AM

Anonymous

I just saw a commercial with a sheep dog and came looking for Mr. Mugs info! What were the kids names? Was it Kurt and Jan?

March 25, 2008 @ 10:13 PM

Toronto Mike

Close... it was Curt and Pat.

March 26, 2008 @ 8:48 AM

Victoria from London

I remember reading Mr. Mugs in grade 1 in the county system. This is going back 30 some odd years. Man how time has flown by! When I think of the sheep dog Mr. Mugs I think happy times with warm feelings. Thanks for sharing my memory Mike by putting Mr. Mugs picture here in cyberspace.

April 3, 2008 @ 1:59 PM

Holly

I loved those Mr. Mugs books from grades 1 and 2. Brings back so many memories, I would love to find some for my own children. And yes, thanks to Mr. Mugs, I learned how to read as well.

April 10, 2008 @ 12:16 PM

Anonymous

I also remember these books from at least grade 1. I saw a post on Kijiji for someone looking for these books and thought I would do some on line searching and came up with you guys here. Makes me feel a bit old thinking back but I too would love to have a set or at least a few for my daughter.

May 29, 2008 @ 10:21 PM

Azure

Omg lol. I was just reminding my friend of Mr Mugs. She didn't remember. I have First Prize for Mr Mugs. Man those were the days.

June 17, 2008 @ 9:27 PM

Evan

Are you sure that Curt and Jan didn't appear anywhere, because I have fond memories of Curt and Jan with Mr. Mugs as well growing up

June 20, 2008 @ 11:42 PM

Toronto Mike

My mom remembers a Jan too. She apparently shows up in later books as a female friend.

June 21, 2008 @ 9:45 AM

Ciaosmiles

I remember Mr. Mugs! I learned how to read as well. I remember sitting on the stuffed Mr. Mugs animal (did anyone have one of those in their classroom?) on the reading mat. I had just had an arguement with my teacher about my ablity to read the Mr. Mugs book. I was convinced that I could do it and I decided to hold a protest until she let me read the Mr. Mugs books. I won! The rest....as they say is history!

November 5, 2008 @ 3:14 AM

sandy

This is to all who remember Mr. Mugs but can not find any info. If you google mr mugs and click on wikipedia you will find a list of all books published.

November 6, 2008 @ 1:16 PM

belinda

I would love to be able to get some of these books. I too read them in kindergarten. is there anywhere to buy them?

November 17, 2008 @ 4:17 PM

Leona

I love Mr. mugs....do you know where I can get ahold of some of these books? My son is struggling in school and I am trying to find things that will make it easier for him...I think these books would really help.

January 13, 2009 @ 11:05 AM

jenny

I miss Mr. Muggs too...I have one book I forgot to give back when I kid...Mr. Muggs' Secret life...I read it too my kids all the time, and have them practice from it...I wish I had the whole seriers, I still remember the stories...long live Mr. Muggs
from Windsor Ont.
God bless,
jenny fitzpatrick

April 6, 2009 @ 4:05 PM

melanie ross

Frustrated with today's public school system and the trouble my children are having learning to read I asked my daughters teacher "Remember Mr. Muggs? Whatever happened to him?" She replied "Thank God we don't teach like that anymore."
I thought back to myself in grade three, I wrote short stories and great essays. When I was ten I read my first Orwell. Due to family issues I stopped going to school at around 12, finally officially dropped out at 15. I partied and basically wasted my time but never stopped reading. I read Shakespere, Dostoevsky, Kafka, Beckkett, the lot. I didn't end up in University until I was in my thirties. Imagine being at U of T with 19 and 20 year olds fresh out of grade 12 who needed tutoring to piece together a paragraph.
I believe the reason why is that they didn't get to read Mr. Muggs. And Mr. Muggs is why I learned to love reading, and writing and never forgot a thing being out of school for 15 years. My oldest daughter is now in grade six and I spoke to her fantastic play therapist who was once a teacher and a principle and she said the Mr. Muggs program is the best was to teach kids to read and write.
So can we start a revoloution? No more hundreds of dollars on Kumon and Oxford and Sylvan! Let's just bring back Mr. Muggs!!!!!!

July 14, 2009 @ 6:14 PM

Susana

I too LOVE Mr.Mugs!!! The cute adorable sheepdog that I remember from grade school always had an adventure going on! He taught me how to read when I first came to Canada in the early 80's and helped me learn the language. Still today I have a great love of reading that I have passed on to my kids. I would love to share with them this wonderful,fluffy dog. Where can I find copies of Mr. Mugs readers??? Does anyone know what happened to him?

July 28, 2009 @ 10:45 AM

ana

WOW....I always think what happened to those great Mr.Muggs books? I have asked so many people and no one ever knows what i am talking about, those were great !!! With Pat and Jan....wow I would love to get my hands on a set of those...

August 13, 2009 @ 10:25 PM

Jaime

Everytime I see a sheep dog I ask if his/her name is Mr Mugs! Grew up in Sk reading these books, I wish I could find some for my nephew!

October 15, 2009 @ 3:21 PM

Nelia

Sure do.. I think the first book in the series was Mr. Mugs a Jet Pet. I somehow recall the dark green/blue cover, and Mr. Mugs is lost. Pat & Curt were the kids.

I too have tried searching online for info, without much luck. Would love to get a hold of these books myself.

Nice memories.

February 28, 2010 @ 12:16 AM

Mark

I'm From Stephenville Newfoundland and I have fond memories of Mr Mugs. They were great books for a beginner.

September 24, 2010 @ 9:30 AM

Susan

I too grew up reading Mr. Muggs in grades one and two. It effected me so much that the first thing I did when I owned my own home was by an Old English Sheepdog, my very own Mr. Muggs, I called him Barkley and that was 20 yrs ago. I still have OES's and every once in a while someone will come up to me and say "is that Mr. Muggs"? It says so much about how impressionable we are at young ages and if exposed to quality reading, or maybe just heartfelt reading we will remember it all our life. If I could I would thank my grade one teacher for introducing me to Mr. Muggs and they have help shape me into who I am. A Great Teacher, a Great book and a Dog. What every kid needs! 8-)

November 10, 2010 @ 11:27 PM

STEPHEN SYLVESTER

I KNOW

I HAVE FOUND MR. MUGS BOOKS IN LIBRARIES AROUND CANADA

November 29, 2010 @ 10:36 AM

Lori Martin

Hi I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get a copy of Mr. Whiskers for a friend who has been searching everywhere. Thanks.

December 9, 2010 @ 11:05 AM

Margaret Green

I loved the mr. Mugs books in school I even won a Mr. Mugs dog Tag for being best reader in class stiil have it.

June 25, 2012 @ 7:08 PM

Victoria P

I grow up with Mr Mugs and was really surprised by how many people had never heard of him - I went looking for his books for my daughter and was never able to find them (the internet was a thing of the future at that time) My nieces and nephews now have a few in their collection

September 12, 2012 @ 5:11 PM

Tracy

I loved Mr.Mugs and Whiskers...wish I could find copies of these for my kids. The readers out today have no character and no continuity...It's 33 years later and I still remember reading these books! Anyone know where we can find these?

February 7, 2013 @ 2:35 PM

Sky reader

To Molly:

A PIcnic

We had a picnic, we had buns, we had wieners -- big fat one, We had wieners on a stick... Mother told us "Don't be quick, Turn your wieners front and back, cook them slowly till they crack."

We had cookies and lemonade. Beth saw a bee and got afraid. I dropped a pickle in the dirt, but washed it off so it didn't hurt. We had a picnic. Was it fun! Now all we want is another one!

April 12, 2013 @ 11:34 AM

Maureen

@sky reader
Which book was the picnic poem in?

July 6, 2013 @ 7:28 PM

Kevin

I was just talking to my wife about Mr. Mugs and was saying how I would like to get some for my son. I also used these books to learn to read in the early 80's and still have a fond attachment to the dog. If nothing else, I would love to have them for a stroll down memory lane.

January 11, 2014 @ 9:56 AM

thejunctionshop

Hey everyone! I also grew up with Mr. Mugs. Throughout my life, every sheepdog I see is Mr. Mugs to me! I run a small vintage Canadian book business and mostly specialize in Canadian cookbooks, but I recently acquired a copy of Mr. Mugs to the Rescue (1977). I'm not sure if I had this one as a kid, but I was overwhelmed with nostalgia when I got my hands on it. That font! Those pictures! It felt like I was in Grade 1 again.

Working in the book biz, I can't afford to keep everything I like, so now that I've tripped out on the shaggy sheepdog, I'd like to find him a forever home. ;) I thought I'd post this here on the chance that a die-hard Mr. Mugs fan was searching for this volume.

If you're interested, gmail me at this name.

June 9, 2014 @ 1:09 PM

Sarah

My grandfather married one of the authors of the Mr Mugs books (Martha)! She has been in my life since day one and even taught me how to write properly when my first grade marks weren't so great.

April 13, 2015 @ 12:02 PM

Judy

I personally have never read a Mr.Mugs book, however they must have been extremely popular. I am a dog groomer and own a "Bearded Collie", every client that comes in gets excited to see a Mr.Mugs.

April 6, 2016 @ 12:42 PM

Mitch

For some reason I remember some of the "we had a picnic " poem

We had a picnic
We had fun
We had wieners
Big fat ones
We had wieners on a stick
Mother told us don't be quick
Cook your wieners front and back
Cook them slowly till they crack
Beth had a pickle and dropped it in the dirt
Mom washed it off so it didn't hurt
We had a picnic. We had fun
Now all we want is another one.

I know I am missing some of it. Please help me fill in the blanks. It has been haunting me for a long time

June 15, 2016 @ 12:18 AM

Mitch

For some reason I remember some of the "we had a picnic " poem

We had a picnic
We had fun
We had wieners
Big fat ones
We had wieners on a stick
Mother told us don't be quick
Cook your wieners front and back
Cook them slowly till they crack
Beth had a pickle and dropped it in the dirt
Mom washed it off so it didn't hurt
We had a picnic. We had fun
Now all we want is another one.

June 15, 2016 @ 12:18 AM

Mitch

For some reason I remember some of the "we had a picnic " poem

We had a picnic
We had fun
We had wieners
Big fat ones
We had wieners on a stick
Mother told us don't be quick
Cook your wieners front and back
Cook them slowly till they crack
Beth had a pickle and dropped it in the dirt
Mom washed it off so it didn't hurt
We had a picnic. We had fun
Now all we want is another one.

June 15, 2016 @ 12:20 AM

Anonymous

I loved that book 45 years ago lol

September 15, 2016 @ 5:49 PM

Jackie

I learned the "picnic" poem for a poetry recital contest when I was in Grade 1 and I won first place. My twins are learning poems in school now and I was looking for the picnic poem to show them - so glad I found this site! 😊

June 12, 2017 @ 10:09 AM

Hannah MS

My first reader was "What a Dog" and the second one was "Take a Peek," --both Mr. Mugs--but I can't even find an image on the internet.

June 23, 2017 @ 8:39 PM

Roy

For Mitch, The Picnic poem:

We had a picnic. We had fun.
We had wieners, big fat ones.
We had wieners on a stick.
Mother told us don't be quick.
Turn your wieners front and back.
Cook them slowly till they crack.

We had cookies and lemonade.
Beth saw a bee and got afraid.
I dropped a pickle in the dirt.
But I washed it off so it didn't hurt.
We had a picnic. It was fun.
Now all we want is another one!

March 3, 2019 @ 8:26 AM