Ann Rohmer Returns to CP24 (Again!)

Over six years ago, Ann Rohmer left her job at CP24 for a position in the aviation industry. (Note: It took me 6 years, but I finally have the untold true story about this retirement and will share it here another day.) Then, mere months later, Ann returned as if she had never left in the first place.

I spoke to Steve Anthony about this in episode 123 of my podcast as he tried to make sense of it all. Give it a spin if you have an hour to spare.

Then, with a farewell cake and everything, Ann Rohmer retired once more from CP24. Speculation at the time was that she was stepping down in order to save another's job during the Bell Media cuts of November 2015.

A few days ago, there were several Ann Rohmer sightings on CP24. Comments like this one started arriving in my inbox. Is Ann Rohmer back for a third tour of duty at CP24?

According to the CP24 website right now, she's not only back, she's lead anchor.

ann

rohmer

My question is, when she announces her retirement for the third time, will anybody bother to show up for cake?

Doug

What....how.....huh? Seriously??

June 10, 2016 @ 1:44 PM

GUNTer

hahaha

June 10, 2016 @ 2:24 PM

rainbow village

Finally. I can put the razor blades back in the cabinet.

June 10, 2016 @ 2:35 PM

Douglas

Assuming that's a new photo of Ann, and not an incredibly Photoshopped one, she's a great example of what taking care of yourself can do for you. She does age, right?

She would be an interesting guest to have on the podcast, Mike.

June 10, 2016 @ 3:13 PM

Steve

She left last time to save a job and now she has returned to take someone's job who could be the lead anchor instead? What a cold, lonely woman.

June 10, 2016 @ 3:52 PM

Dawn Keibals

Ok boys and girls,from today onward who would believe anything Ann Rohmer says or does?
I thought so.

June 10, 2016 @ 4:29 PM

Hans

Could the whole "lead anchor" title be a part of Ann's deal in order to come back?

For all we know, it was Bell/cp24 that went to her especially given the fairly thin anchor roaster cp24 has at the moment especially with Lindsey Deluce leaving for the new CTV morning show in the fall.

Still, fool me once - shame on you, fool me twice - shame on me, fool me the third time?

June 10, 2016 @ 4:41 PM

JJ

I was talking to one of my contacts at CP24 and apparently a lot of people are feeling duped when it came to buying her a goodbye gift. They bought her a gift the first time she retired and then she came back. And then she retired again and people bought her more gifts and apparently she was moving up north to Collingwood or something never to be seen on-air again. And yet here she is. People aren't really surprised but rather than making an announcement on-air that you're retiring, why not semi-retire and tell viewers you won't be seen on-air as often? Remember Tom Gibney? He retired in the early 2000s and filled in whenever they needed him for a few years after that.

Journalism is all about credibility and if we can't trust you to say you're retiring when you say you will than how can we trust whatever else you'll say?

June 10, 2016 @ 5:17 PM

McNulty

I don't have any respect for her now. I hope she returned the retirement gifts. And maybe bakes everyone else a cake.

June 10, 2016 @ 6:35 PM

andrew

1, 2, 3 strikes you're out. It's CP24 that has to be the problem with this situation.
BTW she is a beeatch from a personal freind of mine who worked at CP24 10 years ago.
Backroom & Bedroom politics.

June 10, 2016 @ 6:47 PM

Cal

I literally screamed out loud when I saw her back on air! CP24 needs a makeover!

June 10, 2016 @ 7:11 PM

julie e saunders

Welcome back Ann...purrrfect anchor!

June 11, 2016 @ 10:23 AM

ThEMaYor

Noooooooooo! I can't stand that glue haired woman..CP24 could go to the bus stop
and hire someone better

June 12, 2016 @ 1:49 AM

Dawn Keibals

Must be real nice to be a P24 anchor/ reporter.You work hard trying to move up on the ladder then you see the suits bring back a twice retired 58 year old (whom assuming is going to make more money than you).
The moral around there must be toxic, a bunch of on-air people basically being told that you are not as good as a twice retired 58 year old.
Love to be a fly on the wall when someone walks around to collect donations for a gift for Ann the next time she "Boomerang Retires"

June 12, 2016 @ 7:57 AM

Mel_from the 6

What in the hell? I'm glad to see from the other comments that I am not alone in wondering why Ann is back for another Tour of Duty. Are you telling me there is a shortage of reporters in Toronto? It seems ridiculous that CP24 would even have her back. It's now turned into a joke and I hate seeing her face. Couldn't they have given her a job behind the cameras ??? Ugghhhh!!

June 12, 2016 @ 5:49 PM

Carole

Was very happy to see Ann back. She's an excellent reporter and always does a great job. Some a just jealous as she's female as would never make these sexist comments if a male.

June 12, 2016 @ 8:50 PM

Laura from the 6

I thought Anne Rohmet retired.thantried to be the better person and left so the younger anchors won't lose there job. But again there she is on the air. I will only watch cp24 when the younger anchors r on they know how to relate to the younger generation especially my daughters age. (She even watches ). Sorry do not like watching Anne Rohmer

June 12, 2016 @ 10:25 PM

Badboyz

Get too see her nice boobs again

June 12, 2016 @ 11:20 PM

M@

I lived in the same condo as her (post-1st-retirement), she looks NOTHING like she does in person compared to what you see on tv.

I too yelled at my screen when I saw on CP24 last weekend, go away already and be retired.
Nothing personal Ann.

June 13, 2016 @ 1:07 PM

M@

As well, can Steve Anthony just go away too and take his earrings with him! lol
Nothing like watching old people try and be "hip". All of the news reporters look at their phones mid-report!!? HELLO! Look at the camera and try doing what every other reporter in the world does and memorize what you're going to say.

They definitely need to clean house!

June 13, 2016 @ 1:13 PM

sharon frost

I am so very happy to see Ann Rohmer back on television! I have missed her so very much and was just delighted to see her friendly face back on CP24 !! She is so wonderfully professional - she simply the BEST !!!!! I now am waiting anxiously to see the return of ANIMAL HOUSE CALLS - PLEASE bring this show back as well - there is such a need for this type of show here in Toronto. It gave all our sweet wonderful pets a voice. It gave our homeless pets an audience IT WAS WONDERFULLY ENTERTAINING to watch - Ann was super as the show's host - she is so uplifting and professional - I used to look forward to the show each week and was creast fallen when it was no longer on !!!! Please bring Animal House Calls back on air !!!! A Loyal Fan

June 13, 2016 @ 5:17 PM

Frannie

OMG - I just can't take it! Enough already! If I hear her say 'knee-yooz' (news) again I swear the top of my head is going to pop off. Someone actually missed this hag? Puh-leeeez. Go away and stay away.

June 30, 2016 @ 7:08 PM

Anonymous

Someone please give Ann Rohmer a dictionary and highlight the word ' retire ' and it's meaning , as she obviously doesn't understand retirement . Retiring doesn't mean going back to the same job , not once , twice , but now for an unbelievable third time .

July 1, 2016 @ 2:09 PM

Maureen

Glad she's back she's classy and intelligent

July 19, 2016 @ 9:21 AM

Anonymous

You are all Jealous!!!!! Leave Ann alone!!!!
Get a life and stay out of hers!!!!

July 24, 2016 @ 6:05 PM

garth

I'm glad to see her back some can't retite

July 25, 2016 @ 12:23 AM

c shadow

i refuse to watch cp24 while a media whore yeah you Ann Rohmer chooses to take jobs from up and coming t.v. hosts.

July 27, 2016 @ 8:03 PM

roberta poecu

Thought I was having a nightmare....but no, She's Back!
She must truly believe that CP 24 was put on air just for her!
I feel so bad for the younger reporters, who now have a hefty loan to pay back for their tv education.
Get rid of Ann, or Miss Sober face...does she ever crack a smile?
At least she now wears some decent clothing (WHAT HAPPENED TO HER PEASANT BLOUSES?) and it's obvious that the studio creates her hairstyle, and makeup.
GET RID OF HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 1, 2016 @ 4:38 PM

roberta poecu

Thought I was having a nightmare....but no, She's Back!
She must truly believe that CP 24 was put on air just for her!
Get rid of Ann, or Miss Sober face...does she ever crack a smile?
GET RID OF HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 1, 2016 @ 4:38 PM

roberta popescu

Thought I was having a nightmare....but no, She's Back!
She must truly believe that CP 24 was put on air just for her!
Get rid of Ann, or Miss Sober face...does she ever crack a smile?
GET RID OF HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 1, 2016 @ 4:39 PM

Zabbie

Although we may think we know why Ann keeps leaving and coming back, it's all speculation on our part. Only Ann and her bosses know for sure. Why should "older people" give up their jobs for the "younger crowd". We all need jobs, young and old. We all need to pay our bills, young and old. If it was your parent working at CP24 ask them how they would feel to be thrown out just because they were only 58!!

August 1, 2016 @ 5:54 PM

Peter Laurence

I have always been a fan; I find the sound of her voice comforting/reassuring. That being said, I wish a formal announcement had been made by the network, acknowledging her return, rather than Ann's sudden and unexpected reappearance on air. This, I believe, would have avoided a lot of controversy and confusion. Perhaps it was Ms. Rohmer's choice to do it this way. We may never know.

August 1, 2016 @ 5:55 PM

maggie

As soon as she comes on now I change the channel, as do some of my friends and family, just can't stand the sight of her or the sound of her voice.

August 1, 2016 @ 10:27 PM

Dawn Keibals

Is Ann (Boomerang) Rohmer still at cp24?
CP24 was blocked on my household tv's after the last time "boomerang" un-retired.
Maybe she will only hang around till she needs another crock-pot and a $ 150.00 gift card from Home Depot as "retirement" gifts !!

August 2, 2016 @ 1:07 AM

Mally

Its apparent that shes apart of the cult that demands she return...All these media hacks are apart of it and there fine with it...The organization is a mafia complete with hierarchy...Deceptive goonery at its finest...

August 2, 2016 @ 2:11 PM

Mally

August 2, 2016 @ 2:11 PM

Barry

I'm starting to think there are people who have some really, really cushy lives if Ann Rohmer's un-retirement gets them so upset.

Folks, it's just a local news channel. Get over it. Surely there are real things to get worked up over.

August 3, 2016 @ 10:59 AM

Anonymous

booooo

August 9, 2016 @ 7:18 PM

Mona Savy

Hi, I'm a very good friend of Anne. She has never left really left CP24 but mearly on a sabbatical looking after her elderly mother and father at the cottage. Isn't it wonderful she's back holding the elite position as lead anchor. She is such a beautiful women and has a distinctive touching personality. M. Savy

August 10, 2016 @ 4:27 PM

Lynn Turney

If she was leaving to look after her elderly parents, then what did she use the word retire? Why did she let people buy her gifts and a cake? Why didn't she just say she was going away for a while to care for her parents. I don't believe it. I personally don't care whether she is there or not. I just think she should have given the real reason as to why she left. Also an explanation as to why she keeps coming back.

August 11, 2016 @ 6:52 PM

EllieS

I don't care so much about Ann but the morning show needs to get someone decent in the anchor position. Why not make George L the lead? This Gurdeep guy is a moron, barely can pronounce
words like "bayou". It's pronounced "BYOOO" not "BAYOO". Puja is irrelevant, weather guy is..so so.
However, faced with that or listening to Kevin Frankish' opinions and Dina Pugliese's attempts at humour and Winston trying to be cool....I'll stick with CP24, with or without Ann Rohmer, at least she knows her job.

August 23, 2016 @ 9:46 AM

Dawn Keibals

Soo Peter Mansbridge is retiring from the CBC.
OR is he??? I smell a Rohmer lurking...
Gone today back tomorrow.

September 6, 2016 @ 3:50 PM

Your new host of The National will be Wendy Mesley.

Or Ian Hanomansing.

There is no third option.

September 6, 2016 @ 3:58 PM

Sirena

Once again I can't watch CP24 for Toronto news. I just cannot stand the sound of her voice and the smugness of this woman. I can't turn the channel fast enough when she appears. Please go away and stay away. Please.

September 7, 2016 @ 2:37 AM

Anne

@TorontoMike,

I vote for Mark Kelley to be the new host of 'The National"

September 8, 2016 @ 9:53 AM

Connie Z

Ann Rohmer is the best thing that's happened to CP24! She is intelligent and credible. Other reporters should wish to be more like her. Glad to see her on the show again.

September 25, 2016 @ 11:27 AM

Lynda B

What happened to Christine Tanaglia when Ann returned? No announcement, no hint of an explanation and, oddly, nothing even leaked on the internet? I'd say Toronto needs a really good gossip columnist so the powers that be can't create their own stories.

November 27, 2016 @ 9:00 PM

@Lynda B

But Cristina Tenaglia is still with CP24, right?

November 27, 2016 @ 9:15 PM

Tdubs

Can't figure out how she is still allowed on the air. Can look at her surgically altered facecchin and what is up with her voice?? I think her neck tightening surgery is squashing her larynx. Sounds like she has a permanent nasal issue. Please cp24, I know you can find someone better than this 58 year old dinasour. Please put her and us out of our misery.

January 26, 2017 @ 9:26 PM

Tdubs

January 26, 2017 @ 9:26 PM

Tdubs

January 26, 2017 @ 9:26 PM

Ivana Noh

While I did like Ann before her retirement, her voice now is just not good for TV. It sounds like she's suppressing a cough all the time. I can't watch CP24 for long when it's Ann's segment. Sorry.

March 17, 2017 @ 8:13 PM

Mirza

She is a pleasure to watch, she is experienced, she is intelligent and she knows what is going on
Some long haired babe has so many teeth like a shark, and a voice it cuts paper I can't stand the 2 of them You wish you look as good at 58 as she does jealous are you?????
Ann is great you don't like her to bad she is the best for CP 24
get the goon off the air he is a comedian and they make the owns show with what's her name.... grrrr

March 26, 2017 @ 7:38 PM

Crazymufu

I wish she would really retire , her losing her voice sporadically in the middle of her newscasts is very hard to listen to .

April 8, 2017 @ 7:18 PM