Strombo Show Smoke Thickens, Still No Fire

radioEdge 102.1 / CFNY won't be airing The Strombo Show for the second Sunday in a row. They're giving up that timeslot today to air a tribute to Martin Streek. Personally, I'm uncomfortable with that station airing a three hour tribute to Martin Streek because I can't get passed the fact they fired the man with the old station logo literally tattooed on his ass in May.

The tribute to Streek I can get behind, and have been promoting like crazy the past couple of days, is the five hour one David Marsden did on The Rock. I implore all CFNY fans from the 80s and 90s, and all those mourning the loss of Martin, to download all five hours now at http://www.torontomike.com/2009/07/martin_streek_tribute_with_dav.html. It's fantastic radio.

Last Sunday, I noted that CFNY did not air the first Strombo Show following Martin Streek's death. I was speculating that perhaps Strombo, a good friend and fan of Martin, made this happen. His show did air on other Corus stations. I'm a big Strombo fan, and I was interested in his tribute to Streek. For my money, nobody could impart their passion for good music the way Streek and Strombo could.

I just clicked over to thestromboshow.ca and found the site is offline. strombo.com is online, but strombo.com just links to thestromboshow.ca for more info on that radio show.

thestromboshow

edge.ca still has a page for The Strombo Show, but when you click through their page for more on The Strombo Show, you get nothing.

edge

edge2

A temporary hosting issue or more Strombo Show smoke while we look for fire?

Hector

I'm having a bit of trouble with the all the tributes from 102.1. They fired the guy and removed everything associated with him on the website and made no announcements...nothing. Now, they love the guy.

As for Strombo....maybe this smoke is going to evolve to a fire soon. I hope not...there's not much left to listen to on 102.1.

July 19, 2009 @ 1:52 PM

james edgar

I'm guessing Strombo's finished on the edge. Really disappointing as it was great radio sometimes. I hope some of the moron suits responsible for all this are held reponsible.

No reason to listen to the edge these days.

July 19, 2009 @ 3:27 PM

edgeover

Streek tribute is on now with no acknowledgement of "filling in" for Stromb

July 19, 2009 @ 5:02 PM

Irvine

I'm not defending 102.1..but what can they do?

If they do a tribute, people are pissed saying "you fired him". If they didn't acknowledge it at all, they'd be held in even a lower standard "you didn't have the class to even say goodbye".

It's a no win situation and clearly this "tribute" to Martin came about after a management powwow on what they should do.

I don't believe for a minute that if there wasn't this outcry from the public that any of this tribute would have ever happened. I suspect it was strictly a business decision. The true goodbye happened on The Rock with Marsden.

July 19, 2009 @ 6:09 PM

Toronto Mike

Irvine, you're right. Corus was between a rock and a hard place.

And yes, the true tribute was Marsden's and it was great.

I can't help but feel like Corus got away with one. Because we both know 99% of the listeners tonight don't know Streek was fired. is it a super creepy love-in full of hypocrisy or am I officially a grumpy old cynic.

July 19, 2009 @ 6:18 PM

James

The Strombo show is the best show on the edge by far I think..

If he leaves, I hope he takes the show somewhere else. Maybe CBC radio?

July 19, 2009 @ 6:27 PM

Sarah

I was disgusted to hear that CFNY was doing this tribute today. Firstly because, yes, indeed - they did fire the man 2 months ago and secondly because it took them 2 effing weeks to put it together. If the tribute was truly genuine it would have happened last Tuesday.
As for Marsden's tribute - that was awesome - listened to and loved every minute.
The other issue I am having with CFNY is that they are still running Martin's promo spots. Not cool CFNY - not cool. It seems to me like they are now trying to capitalize off of his death, given that they did not even acknowledge back in May that he was 'leaving' the station and did no tribute to his work at that time. This late in the game, a tribute seems like a ploy to cover up that they had fired him or a gimmick to get back in the public's good graces for having canned Streek in the first place given the recent negative backlash online for their poor handling of the situation.

July 19, 2009 @ 6:31 PM

Hector

I'm listening now.....the music is good and they are saying some nice things, but they are making sound like he never left. They talk about how important he was to the Edge and music. What a bunch of hypocritical crap!

July 19, 2009 @ 6:46 PM

Devon

Can you imagine if the music was like this all the time?? This just makes me sadder....Martin I miss you buddy.

July 19, 2009 @ 7:09 PM

Andrew

There's a great article in the Star this weekend about Billy from 99.9 only taking 6 weeks for mat leave because she didn't want to be away from her 'audience' for too long. It's a good article about what radio people mean to their listener's. I'm not so sure radio today is like it was a while ago - with that connection, but, as someone who knew Martin for a long time (I'm an old employee) he had a rabid and loyal following and the tribute Marsden played two weeks ago was outstanding. I can't bear to listen to what's on right now.

July 19, 2009 @ 7:17 PM

Pete McPhedran

re: Edge firing Martin and removing all record of him, etc... It's no different than any other staffer that gets fired (layed off, let go). Once they are no longer employed by the station they don't want to continue promoting that personality. I don't recall exactly, but I'm sure H&F were similarily removed.

I never met Martin, but felt like many others that I "knew" him because I listened to him so often. I was bummed when he was let go and chaulked it up to corp repositioning. It happens. It also sounded like he was in for better things. When one door closes 2 more open kind of thing.

I think it would help a whole lot of people if they just let go of the whole "Edge got away with one", "Edge is responsible" and just realize that everyone that works there is human and I am sure none of them, responsible for his firing or not, knew or even thought the results would be what happened.

Everyone needs to get over that part, celebrate Martin's all too short time on this planet and enjoy the tunes that are being pumped out in his memory.

George, what's up?

--Pete
(of Pete and Wendy)

July 19, 2009 @ 10:33 PM

Toronto Mike

@Pete McPhedran

You're too late. I reached that very conclusion 90 minutes ago.

July 19, 2009 @ 10:37 PM

Pete McPhedran

@Mike

Just read that, excellent piece. Well said.

--Pete

July 19, 2009 @ 10:49 PM

Jason Paris

Just curious, but did Corus allow Martin to say "good bye" to his listeners when they let him go back in May? I'm suspecting they didn't, but would like clarification.

Few stations do this of course when they let someone go, but I really think it makes a huge difference and aknowledges that radio is somewhat different than other workplaces as the public is so heavily invested.

July 20, 2009 @ 10:38 AM

Toronto Mike

@Jason Paris
No sir. No opportunity to say goodbye.

July 20, 2009 @ 10:48 AM

Digger

According to his blogs, apparently Strombo has been in California since at least July 5 (reporting he was on his way from L.A. to Laguna Seca for the MotoGP races). The silence is deafening, so to speak. Is George truly "on vacation" or is something else afoot?

I listened to the Martin tribute on 102.1 yesterday on my way back from Buffalo. The music was great. Some of the commentary was too - most of that from station personnel. Most of the listener phone in clips were awful.

One can only wonder about the lack of commercials (don't tell me that airtime could not have been sold)> Let the conspiracy theories begin, right?

As I've said before, on the radio, there is no regularly accessible, decent alternative to 102.1 in the Toronto area - apart from Thursday and Friday from 7 p.m. to midnight.

July 20, 2009 @ 6:52 PM

Digger

I listened to the Martin tribute on 102.1 yesterday on my way back from Buffalo. The music was great. Some of the commentary was too - most of that from station personnel. Most of the listener phone-in clips were awful.

One can only wonder about the lack of commercials (don't tell me that airtime could not have been sold). Let the conspiracy theories begin, right?

July 20, 2009 @ 6:53 PM

Neville A. Ross

There's always CBC Radio 2 & 3 with whatever lineup/type of music that they have, and there's also Sirius satellite radio, as well as stations on the net like WFMU in New Jersey, if you can't stand The Edge anymore.

July 26, 2009 @ 8:32 PM