Where's Strombo? Did He Quit Corus?

questionmarkI'm plugging myself back in after a long weekend of kayaking, BBQing, chilling with the family and playing beach volleyball under sunny skies. My radio is tuned into Edge 102.1 for The Strombo Show, one of Corus' best radio shows. I've always liked George Stroumboulopoulos.

This is the first airing of The Strombo Show since Martin Streek died. It's no secret Stroumboulopoulos and Streek were tight. I saw them together as recently as last year's CASBY Awards and Strombo was swooning in the presence of Streek, a man he clearly admired. Then, there's this quote from Strombo, which has resurfaced since Streek's death.

Martin Streek (and David Bookman) are so important to this city, what they do for music ... Streek when he’s on the radio... quality wins. They believe in music. They are the snipers waiting by the window keeping everyone on their game. Because their music knowledge is impeccable, their passion is unrivalled and they’re not afraid to tell you. They understand how important a record can be to your life.

I've got CFNY on the radio, trying to listen to Strombo to hear what he'd say about Martin, but I'm not hearing The Strombo Show. I'm hearing a guy named Jeff Leake playing the typical music 102.1 plays these days, and there's no mention of George Stroumboulopoulos or The Strombo Show. The "S" word hasn't been uttered once.

Did Strombo quit Corus? Does anyone know where his radio show has gone?

Update: I'm told The Strombo Show was on Corus tonight, just not Edge 102.1. edge.ca is promoting the show as airing from 2pm - 5pm, a change I've obviously missed! It was always 5pm - 8pm.

Apparently there's nothing to see here, move along....

Update 2: When I wondered aloud if The Strombo Show aired here at 2pm, a Strombo fan who would like to remain anonymous replied and said "not today they didn't ... this afternoon Todd had some sort of bikini thing goin' on ... they didn't broadcast in T.O today "

The plot thickens...

Seth

Maybe he took today off. I am still shaken by Martin's passing. I can't seem to shake this one. CFNY sounds so hollow and 2 dimensional now. I can't even listen to them anymore.

I don't know why but the tribute they have on their website for Martin really pisses me off. You bastards fired him and now you honour him????

July 12, 2009 @ 7:35 PM

Pete McPhedran

George was on vacation and took off on his bike to the west coast, last tweet from him was July 7th from LA.

I was wondering too what George would have to say, figured he was taking care of business in his own way.

--Pete

July 12, 2009 @ 9:35 PM

meli

There is NO plot Mike ... and please don't use me to manufacture one ... I was simply stating that I did not hear his show on CFNY today. I did listen to the show on the other stations that broadcasted it. Why the show was not on The Edge today is their business not ours

July 12, 2009 @ 9:51 PM

Mike from Lowville

The Edge....just fell over....

F the F ers.....

July 12, 2009 @ 10:33 PM

Raph

Hey. First time poster. I have been trolling this site for so long. Props to Mike. I really like his site.

I too tuned in to hear George's show today to see how he was doing with all this trouble that went down. I tuned in at 4:50 and Adam was on the radio. That Jeff guy came on at 5 and I automatically thought George took the week off to heal himself from the sorrow he faced. To be reading this now, I am not surprised. George is a strong individual and if he did take a stand against the edge I will support him. I'm already sick how they could let Marty go like that.

George, if you read this, I am with you, Marty, his family and all the real people right now who are hurting one way or another. As for Edge 102, I am done with them. After 15 years, this is it. Please someone email me and let me know how else I can catch the Strombo Show via the web.

The story has begun.

July 13, 2009 @ 2:08 AM

James Edgar

Figures. The one show on edge 102 I find compeling is gone. Not much left on there is there? At least it looks that way. Maybe it was just the vacation, he did speak of time off a few weeks ago.I hope he's back and would love hear what he has to say about Martin.

July 13, 2009 @ 8:09 AM

Argie

Did someone at the Edge finally discover Strombo has an annoying lisp? Did they ask "why is this tool on the air, I mean he has a G-damn lisp?" Maybe that's it.

July 13, 2009 @ 9:01 AM

Toronto Mike

@meli: I was only using you to illustrate that 102.1 didn't air The Strombo Show yesterday, while other Corus stations did. You're not implicated in any plot.

"Why the show was not on The Edge today is their business not ours". We sure can ask questions, though, can't we? And we can survey the hive mind for additional data. If it's as simple as Strombo being on vacation and 102.1 not wanting to air a rerun, I'd like to hear that.

July 13, 2009 @ 9:03 AM

CQ

Reminds me of when I gave iExplore a few 20 minute listens on Edge. Throughout any week until Thursday always a running mention of a Friday tally, then no Friday show - at least not at the same 7p.m. time schedule.

July 13, 2009 @ 9:10 AM

Wayner

He and his show are still listed on the edge site.

July 13, 2009 @ 9:47 AM

CC

July 8th he posted on his blog, strombo.com.

July 13, 2009 @ 10:12 AM

Stephanie Gardner

For this you had to post a private page and embarass the people who posted on it? Shame on you!

July 13, 2009 @ 8:52 PM

Frank the Tanks

Once again Argie you prove how much of a douche you are....

July 13, 2009 @ 10:51 PM

Toronto Mike

@Stephanie
I must be missing something. Is it possible you've misread what I wrote? Where's the embarrassment?

It's a radio station. They didn't play a regularly scheduled program. Someone vouched to that effect. There's no grassy knoll there, there's no fat man walking alone...

Or is there????

July 13, 2009 @ 11:37 PM

Argie

Ok Frank, I'll bite - why am I a douche? Sorry I just don't like Strombo - you apparently do.

You sure write big - I doubt you could ever back it up.

July 14, 2009 @ 4:44 PM

Raph

Argie

I have no idea who you are but your comments were uncalled for. This article and website should not be a haven for you to throw around your insults of a person you do not even know. You clearly wrote that for laughs and instead you made yourself look lame in the process.

I could care less about defending George. It really does look like I am. Instead, I am here telling you to be responsible with what you say because comments like that just make you look silly in the end. You probably do not care, but that is how I feel when I read websites and people say silly stuff. If no one stops you to make you think twice, you will never learn. Thus, you could never grow.

I am not perfect by any stretch of the imagination and sorry for sounding self-righteous. Just want to make you think twice.

July 14, 2009 @ 10:43 PM

Jason Paris

Strombo should apply for a show at CBC Radio 2 or 3 and be done with Corus. He's sort of the next generation's Brent Bambury anyway (not that I want Brent to go anywhere).

July 16, 2009 @ 12:15 PM

SteveO

am i the ONLY one that just hears a lisp when this guy talks?
Ssstrombopolisss