Martin Streek Dead

Martin Streek DiesI'm not sure how to write this one, so I'm just going to tell you what I know.

As a long time fan of CFNY / Edge 102, I was sad to learn recently that Martin Streek had been fired after over 20 years of service. As of this writing, that entry had 88 comments from others who wanted to wish Martin well. Soon enough, Martin Streek himself chimed in to say thanks.

Thank to those of you who made comments, both good and bad...either way, it's proof that you listened and/or cared about the scene I/we were part of...

Earlier today, Martin Streek updated his Facebook status message with words that sound so ominous now. This, it turns out, is Martin's farewell to the world.

So...I guess that's it...thanks everyone...I'm sorry to those I should be sorry to, I love you to those that I love, and I will see you all again soon (not too soon though)... Let the stories begin.

My entry about Martin Streek leaving CFNY / Edge102 is #1 when you Google his name, and Steve did just that an hour ago.

I just heard that Martin has passed away... very sad to hear.... (I was a cfny staffer back in the 80s and just heard this from Earl J.)

At first, I thought it was a cruel joke. Martin Streek seemed so vibrant, so full of life. But after chatting with Steve, and seeing the Facebook status message, I'm afraid it's true.

Martin Streek has taken his own life.

streek

Christian

Its hard to believe someone with a personality like his went and took his own life. I've been privileged enough to work along side him for the ride to conquer cancer. I built his bike, I talked with him for a few hours, and the last I saw him was at the Janes Addiction concert at the Molson Amphitheater. Such an awesome person all around, such a tragedy to lose him. You will be missed.

July 6, 2009 @ 11:59 PM

Toronto Mike

Hello everyone,

I've seen in several places "it's been confirmed" and a reference to me as confirmation of Martin Streek's death. This concerns me, not because I could be wrong but because I shouldn't be a definitive source.

My source was told by Live Earl Jive that Martin was found dead in his apartment today. I was able to confirm a few things before I believed this story.

1. Martin did update his Facebook status today with the ominous message above.

2. Live Earl Jive is in fact living in California.

3. My source was able to prove that he's currently working for a radio station.

4. After 7 years of blogging and 10,000 entries, I've developed a sixth sense for these scoops, and this one felt sadly real.

I'm about to go to bed, and my hope is that I'll wake up and find out I was totally fooled by my source and Martin is fine. Nothing would make me happier.

July 7, 2009 @ 12:14 AM

Dan S

This is the only Website I can find reporting such a thing.... God I hope it's not true....

July 7, 2009 @ 12:21 AM

shane alexander

this is very very sad news. i'm just going to wait till i hear that it's 100% if in fact he did take his own life. wow. too sad. he'll be missed.

July 7, 2009 @ 12:24 AM

Toronto Mike

Sadly, I just confirmed it with two additional sources, including one I know personally.

Rest in peace, Martin.

July 7, 2009 @ 12:26 AM

brad

call me crazy but this is way more sad than mj

streek was night life in this city - a career cfny guy who got brushed aside and had nowhere else to go

streek is dead - and it's symbolic like the spirit is dead

rip streek

July 7, 2009 @ 12:36 AM

Steve

We all worked with Martin at CFNY back in the late 80s... I now work with the man who hired him at NY (at The Rock in Oshawa) - David Marsden. This was his email to me a few moments ago...

Hi Steve - you may recall I hired Martin Streek as the front man for the CFNY Video Roadshow. For that reason he spent most of his time on the road moving from booking to booking. Over the years he turned that into a very successful Sunday night radio show.

A few weeks back he came by The Andy Poolhall gig I was doing on Wednesday nights. That very day he had been let go from his long time CFNY gig. He was the last of the originals.

If you check my site you will see that I have posted a note there about him - including his ominious note on Facebook.

dm

www.marsdenglobal.com

July 7, 2009 @ 12:41 AM

A friend in TO

The news has since been confirmed by his GF. It is true and a very sad sad day for his friends and family especially.
RIP Martin. I cant believe I just saw you at NINJA and you seemed so healthy and happy.

July 7, 2009 @ 12:45 AM

Joe

Brad you're crazy.

July 7, 2009 @ 1:00 AM

?

apparently a note on his door... "call 911"

July 7, 2009 @ 1:09 AM

Mary-Elizabeth Gilbert

I just found out about this. I worked with Martin for the past few years at the Phoenix Concert Theatre on Saturday nights.

You could never meet a kinder man than Martin. I often gave him music by indie bands and he was always willing to listen and help out, he cared about all musicians and helping anyone who crossed his path.

The last time I saw Martin was in June and he came right up to me, gave me a hug and said he was fine.

I hope somehow I wake up and this isn't true but if it is is Martin, you were the best and I will miss you so much.

July 7, 2009 @ 1:11 AM

Emily

Radio listening at work will never be the same. It'll always make me sad now...
That familiar voice that kept me sane on the harshest of days, on the most stressful moments at work... or in life... is gone.

July 7, 2009 @ 1:13 AM

Luca d'Addario

man I can't believe this, an old friend just told me(thank you Emily). Man you will be forever missed, Rest In Peace brother, I know you got your wings...

July 7, 2009 @ 1:16 AM

Michael

Requiem II: Gone, Still.

May the weight of our sorrow be lessened by the comfort of collective grieving.

July 7, 2009 @ 1:35 AM

Jeff Parker

speechless
im actually speechless.

July 7, 2009 @ 2:14 AM

Shrubbco Visions

Really sad about this poor man. I remember the good days of Edge its sad to say those days have been long washed out with constant Green Day airplay and idiot DJ's.

Brutal hailz go out to this man and his family and a big fuck you to the Edge executives who took away the one thing this man probably charrished the most.

July 7, 2009 @ 2:16 AM

Len Lamanna

Hi all,
Martin was a fan of my band Frailfragment. I was interviewed and played on air numerous times by Martin. He was a true music hero that took music not for the politics behind it, but for what it was worth. He was honestly bias!
He was honest that way.
I would come into the Edge for 2 years straight almost every Thursday chatting as well as hanging at The Phionex for years.
He had a dark side that he tried to tame.
He quit drinking.
He quit smoking.
He tried...
I hope this shit isn't true.
MARTIN STREEK IS A REAL MUSIC HERO.
I am saddened and shocked.
I thank him for being a fan.
I hope this is not true.
Len Lamanna

July 7, 2009 @ 2:43 AM

Michael X

It's been 23 years since we started working together. It's not supposed to finish this way.

July 7, 2009 @ 3:12 AM

CJ

This is truly a tragic loss far beyond the person. A pioneer and a prince. May you be at peace Martin.

July 7, 2009 @ 3:31 AM

Jeff McNamara

I find myself in shock hearing the news about Martin. And I truly cannot understand why the edge would let go of the soul of the station. He was the best thing to happen the cfny. Period.

In what "direction" was the edge trying to go in when they laid off the two best personalities left on the station?

God this world has gone to shit.

July 7, 2009 @ 3:56 AM

Christopher Woodacre

Im going to miss martin alot. R I P

July 7, 2009 @ 4:15 AM

Wes

The edge is going more Mainstream.

Martin was a great person. Im in shock... he will be missed immensely...

He was the reason why I LOVE a lot of the music that I just LOVE.

I feel terrible for him and how he must have felt these past couple weeks.

July 7, 2009 @ 4:21 AM

Dawn

I can't believe this. I grew up on Martin Streek. Although I didn't love all the same music he did, I always admired his unrelenting love for the artform. Toronto won't be the same without his spirit. See ya in the next life brotha.

July 7, 2009 @ 4:25 AM

Nat

I had the privilege of meeting Martin on a few occasions and was sad to learn of his departure on CFNY a couple months back!!! Still remained an avid listener but it wasn't the same! Now to hear this... I'm devastated!!! He was a great man with so much personality and really quite generous & kind!!! This truly is horrible news! I can only hope he now has found the peace he may have been searching for...

July 7, 2009 @ 4:48 AM

Nat

July 7, 2009 @ 4:53 AM

bathory

Woah.

July 7, 2009 @ 5:30 AM

shan

dude used to live in my building. this is really messed up.

July 7, 2009 @ 5:36 AM

Angela aka Pingugirl

I heard about this from a friend on facebook. She was hoping it wasn't true. I didn't know what she was talking about at first but going through the updates it became sadly apparent that Martin Streek was gone.

I've been living in Portland, Oregon for the past 6 months so I didn't even know that he had been laid off from the Edge. I learned so much from Martin Streek's History of New Music.

I never had the pleasure of meeting him but I admired his love of music and the knowledge he so willingly shared.

Mental health is not taken as seriously as it should be. Fuck all of the emphasis on health meaning physical health. I've lived through 3 attempts myself and I know how in the end it seems like the only answer.

Suicide is tragic but we can feel solace that he is now at peace. It's too bad that statistically men tend to go with fatal methods. It doesn't give them or us a chance to make things better.

Fuck this is bad. (I'm not even a swearing person.)

Thank you Martin for your passion for music. You will be missed. My deepest sympathies go out to all of his friends and family.

Rest in Peace.

July 7, 2009 @ 5:56 AM

James Edgar

Wow just seeing this now. RIP Martin. He was a real joy to listen too. Words fail me.

July 7, 2009 @ 5:59 AM

Mark from Brantford

this is crazy, i onyl met martin a couple tiome back at the kingdom in burlington but he was responsible for one of my best memories...meeting my all time favorite band silverchair...he was giving away VIP passes at the kingdom and i asked when he was gonna give them away...he told me the time so about 10 minutes to the time he said i went to the dj both to wait to be the 1st to awnser what ever question it was...he noticed me right away and after about 10 minutes he walked over and just handed them to me because it clearly ment alot to me to get those tickets, and for that moment i will always remember martin!

July 7, 2009 @ 6:20 AM

J9

OMG - this is too sad. My heart goes out to his family and friends. He will be missed.

July 7, 2009 @ 6:41 AM

david leyes

wow... i am in such sad shock...he was truly the only bit of fun left in that station... i guess his firing pushed him in a very unfortunate direction....
you will be missed martin!

July 7, 2009 @ 6:47 AM

pingugirl

correction... I was confusing Martin Streek with Alan Cross in regards to the history of new music.

sorry

July 7, 2009 @ 6:50 AM

Faran1078

When I arrived at the office today and turned on the radio - to The Edge as always - I was shocked when Dean Blundell announced Martin's passing. How very sad; what a loss.

I've been listening to CFNY since it's very inception, so Martin a mainstay to me. I was disappointed, to say the least, when they recently let him go.

My deepest sympathies go out to his many friends, family and fans.

July 7, 2009 @ 7:09 AM

howard

Sad, but true. I found out last night from another old NY staffer. Martin was a fine man and I was sad to hear of his passing. He was one of the first people I met on literally my first day at CFNY in Brampton. What a great guy. What a sad shame.

July 7, 2009 @ 7:10 AM

Pauly Walnuts

Damn it all to hell...

July 7, 2009 @ 7:16 AM

Kimmy

I was in an 80's indy band, CFNY propelled us to the top of the charts. Martin was one of the visionary dj's who helped to get our music out there. Years went by, generations changed, but Martin never did. I can still see his smile that lit up the darkest night. He was and is a true Supernova. Travel well Martin. Godspeed to your destination.

July 7, 2009 @ 7:18 AM

Aubrey

I was a barback at Whiskey Saigon in 1999/2000. I got to know Martin through his time working there with DJ Dwight. I would regularly bring them both cases of water to try and keep them hydrated when they were up in the sweltering DJ Booth on the 3rd floor.

Martin always seemed to enjoy life - he always wanted to be young. Very sadly now I guess he always will be.

Martin had a kindness to him. Sometimes if he saw a friend who was having tough times, Martin would reach into his pocket and hand him all his change. That's the side of Martin I will always remember.

Rest In Peace Martin.

July 7, 2009 @ 7:23 AM

Robin Black

I had the privilege of spending time with Martin, out in the world, at his condo, in clubs, at night, and in the daylight. In our crazier periods, and more grown up ones. He was always a good man.
He was a funny, passionate man. He loved music, and he loved people. And people loved him.
Rock on Martin.

July 7, 2009 @ 7:24 AM

F1racer

My deepest sympathies go out to his many friends, family and fans. Martin will be missed by many. A music icon who will always be remembered.

David

July 7, 2009 @ 7:38 AM

PM

I met Martin through his brother when we hung out during the 80's. He used to get us tickets for backstage at NY summer gigs.
Always a great guy with a sense of humour and life about him.
That's how I'll remember him. A classic guy and you can't think of CFNY without thinking about him or the roadshow he so amazingly took to the next level.
My condolences to his family.

July 7, 2009 @ 7:39 AM

Buffaloboymike

Im still in a state of shock after waking up to see this, Im trying to put it into words myself....

July 7, 2009 @ 7:57 AM

Kris Logan

My heart is heavy this morning after hearing this news. As with all suicides there is a sense of sadness and empathy mixed with anger. I can't imagine the sorrow a person must feel in order to take this way out. I will miss Martin on Thursday's and Saturday's. He is a true legend and will be missed forever.

July 7, 2009 @ 8:08 AM

Ren318

The announcement of Martin Streek's passing was on CP24 this morning. It's unfortunate, but it is true. RIP my dear old friend. I will miss the times we've shared together.

July 7, 2009 @ 8:10 AM

kdkardiac

Shocked doesn't begin to decsribe what Martins passing means to me and untold thousands of others. The man had a presence on the airwaves that gave comfort and the feeling he was speaking to you alone in your basement.
Pity the Edge gave up on one of the foundations upon which their successes of today are built. Sadly Corrus Radio only worship at ST BUCK$ church and have left integrity and decency to fester unattended.
I'm sorry you didn't get help Martin because your soul likely helped many others.
RIP.

July 7, 2009 @ 8:15 AM

Jessica Capobianco

The spirit of radio is now officially broken.

Martin Streek, you were there through all my musical phases, New Wave, Post-New Wave, Depeche Mode (they deserve a whole category) Grunge, Brit Pop, New Rock. I will never forget when you came to Mayfield Secondary School for the CFNY Video Road Show and played the "Head Like A Hole" video. I was an awkward nine'r who lived in the country. You blew my f'n mind. And you were pretty much the most famous person I had ever met! CFNY was in a mall in my hometown back then and my friends and I could always come for a visit when Blur or Bowie were doing their press. You even put me on the Thursday 30 once and we just talked about James. I was hooked on broadcasting and music. Years later we would become friends and I always found you the most positive and passionate person in this often souless place we call the music biz. When I was laid off from MuchMoreMusic you reached out to me. I had no idea they let you go. I've felt alienated by that radio station for many years now. I just saw you at, of course, the NIN show and I just didn't know. You gave me mega-watt that smile that I took to mean all was well. You were one of the good ones Martin and I am so sorry for the sadness that overcame you.

Rest in peace.

July 7, 2009 @ 8:15 AM

Steve Popp

Rest in Peace Martin, you will be missed

July 7, 2009 @ 8:21 AM

Andrew

Man, that's a big loss.

Damn it.

July 7, 2009 @ 8:24 AM

Anonymous

this is the saddest news that I've heard in a long time!! I remember my friends and I hanging out with Martin in the booth at Phoenix and having a blast! The door was always open with him!!! He WAS the reason we went there...he never failed us with fantastic music that made you move!! I know that it's sad he took his life but only he knew what he was suffering and we are not to judge, only to pray for him!! Martin will be greatly missed!!! A Toronto music legend!!!
RIP!!!

July 7, 2009 @ 8:25 AM

CQ

I always enjoyed tuning in and listening to Martin Streek. I wish he could have found the joy within his personal life that he had shared so successfully in public.
R.I.P., Martin.

July 7, 2009 @ 8:26 AM

Dan Duran

Martin's face lit up and always gave me a sincere 'hello old friend' smile whenever I saw him. Oh Martin...there were so many other paths that were open to you. Especially you.

Earlier in the year when he was live at Sound Academy I dropped by for a couple of hours to catch up. He was so proud of the work he was doing, the interviews he was compiling. He was always full of energy.

A sad day.

July 7, 2009 @ 8:27 AM

AKB

I can't explain the shock that went through me when I heard this news. Martin was a great man and had one of the few radio shows I could listen to for hours without changing the station. You will be missed Martin, I hope you have found what you're looking for.

July 7, 2009 @ 8:32 AM

Rob

My girlfriend and I used to listen to saturday night live-to-air religiously. Especially early on in the night when Streek would usually play lesser-known bands. I'm going to miss his intermittent attempts to get people into Kyuss.

I was shocked when they let him go, and this just pushes it beyond shocking, into surreal.

July 7, 2009 @ 8:42 AM

rob

R I p martin!!

So sad to see you go! I usd to talk to him every friday at the kingdom in burlington... This is all not right!!
I work in the city and see a lot of things but today is one of the saddest days!

July 7, 2009 @ 8:44 AM

Mike from Lowville

:^(

July 7, 2009 @ 8:57 AM

Naomi

I still cannot believe it, and Mike is right - this is worse (for us) than mj, whose memorial will yet again overshadow the passing of a great man.

I remember meeting Martin at CFNY's Canada Day at Molson Park back in 1989. I have a picture of him running around as a young upstart, where I simply wrote on the back "Martin the new guy from CFNY". In the photo, he kinda looked like Otto with his long hair and the purple shirt he was wearing in the sun.

I thanked God for Martin Streek because he was still playing the music that I enjoyed on CFNY, even while they were transforming to "The Edge", and I felt as long as he was still there, they would still have a wee bit of credibility, even if it was just someone standing in a back office shouting that there was more to "alternative" than Sum41.

I had no idea that Corus had let him go - though I was always secretly hoping that Martin would give Corus the big Fuck You and move over to either internet or satellite radio, radio mediums that would have allowed the creative freedom that he had started at 'NY with.

I guess instead he gave a big Fuck You to us all, but mostly to himself, if this is how he really went out...

My heart goes out to his girlfriend, his family, and his friends. Hope he's up there shooting the shit with Raven, and having a hell of a time doing it.

RIP Martin. You will be missed.

July 7, 2009 @ 8:59 AM

brad

the edge killed Martin.

you have blood on your hands, 102.1!!!

even their acknowledgment lacks any sensitivity = http://www.edge.ca/Blogs/JasonBarrBlog/BlogEntry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10038951

July 7, 2009 @ 9:04 AM

Anonymous

How he do it?

July 7, 2009 @ 9:07 AM

JTR

Martin, your voice lives on in our minds forever. RIP. My heart goes out to your family and loved ones.

July 7, 2009 @ 9:08 AM

Scott

Wow! I didn't even realize that Martin had been let go. I remember catching the Thursday 30 a few weeks back and thinking to myself "Martin must be on vacation" because some other dude was doing the countdown. I, like many of the people who commented previously, grew up with Martin on the Edge. I can't remember how many times we were at the Phoenix or Whiskey Saigon for Martin's libe to air Club 102. I had the privilege to play a round of pool with Martin one Sunday night at Whiskey just as the club was opening. A very down to earth guy. As I got older though the club life dies down and you stop listening to the radio as much at night so I wassn't aware that he was canned in May. Obviously, it hit him hard. Very sad. RIP Mr. Streek.

July 7, 2009 @ 9:15 AM

Dr Mike

Im still in shock reading about this. His voice was one that I will always remember. He made radio interesting and unique.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family right now.

July 7, 2009 @ 9:18 AM

Gerry

I can't believe it.....so sad.

July 7, 2009 @ 9:18 AM

nikki

I am in shock that he took his own life. And writing that status message before hand, that's so sad... :( I wonder if anyone had seen it prior to him ending his life...

July 7, 2009 @ 9:20 AM

Ryan

I'm totally shocked to hear that he's passed away. I can't even count the number of Saturday nights that I spent at Phoenix, and he was there every single one (for the most part). Truly, a sad day for Toronto radio.

July 7, 2009 @ 9:28 AM

Dave

As much anger as I feel right now towards CNFY for taking what they did from him - what he enjoyed and really 'lived' for so many years - no one could have seen this coming.
Getting in the car on a Saturday night, turning on the radio on and being enveloped by his more then just his voice - but his love of it all - is now gone.
Condolences to his family and friends. It's not supposed to have ended this way.

July 7, 2009 @ 9:28 AM

Fred Ball

Can't believe this news... it's a sad day.

July 7, 2009 @ 9:28 AM

Joe Szabo

You were my musical youth. I will miss you Martin.

July 7, 2009 @ 9:31 AM

sinnacle

Can never listen to the edge in the same vain again. While I didn't agree that the clash where the best band in the world every time I'd think about them I'd always end with "the best band in the world" cause of him. Still call burlington, gurlington and will forever pronounce Personal Jesus the way he said it. Thank you for Sunday nights and keeping the music of my youth alive. Also find it sad that this site is giving him this tribute compared to the radio station he gave his heart and soul to for 20 years.

July 7, 2009 @ 10:07 AM

Dave

The Edge has gone to shit. Radio in general is becoming a penny pinching business and it's the DJs that are being let go in order to save the companies money. At CHUM it's no different. There's no loyalty anymore.

July 7, 2009 @ 10:08 AM

Ryan

This breaks my heart!!!

RIP MARTIN!! Your voice will always be comforting to me.

July 7, 2009 @ 10:11 AM

Stephen

Martin, I just saw you at Goodlife, working out hard as usual, and you seemed like yourself.You mentioned going/escaping on a trip for awhile. Always joked about when the next tattoo was going to appear somewhere on himself.Always said his mother did the tattoo's herself.Will miss ya man.

July 7, 2009 @ 10:13 AM

Shawn Hall

I can't believe this. The last time I saw Martin was at the hummingbird centre at The QOTSA concert. He was cracking jokes about some dude playing video games on his cell phone during the entire concert. I remember the first week Martin started, he took over for Chris Sheppard and did a great job. I remember playing pool with him and hanging out at the phoenix on mondays during the Grunge era. What the hell is going on at Chorus first they can Barry Taylor now Martin and now martin is gone. I will never listen to the edge again...Never!

July 7, 2009 @ 10:17 AM

Cheryl Hoar

I am still in shock. I moved to Canada from the UK in the late nineties and the original Edge format and style, which included Martin Streek, helped form the principal basis of my love for Indie music. In this age of corporate this and corporate that, it is a shame and a great loss to everyone, that the industry he helped to create left him with no place to go. I, like many others will always remember the man, and of course, that unmistakable and unforgettable voice. RIP Martin - you are and will be missed.

July 7, 2009 @ 10:39 AM

Cherie

I'm in total shock. He was an amazing DJ and I grew up listening to him on CFNY and dancing to his music at clubs...so sad for this loss.

July 7, 2009 @ 10:44 AM

met him once

CFNY is a joke. Blundell and Shapiro are beyond pathetic. Jason is the only decent on-air personality.
I hope Martin finds what it is he was looking for in the after-life.

July 7, 2009 @ 10:58 AM

TedNes

How many weekend nights I heard Martin and his deep velvet pipes on the radio, coming home from my own night out, or just partying with friends. Sadly, I gave up on the EDGE and their infantile ways a few years back---it's simply not what it used to be. I will always remember his deep voice, his speaking over the boom-boom in the background at various clubs. A little part of my youth just died with him...

July 7, 2009 @ 11:00 AM

Howard Rowlison

It was 1980 (or there abouts) that I was first introduced to Martin... (Marty)Streek. We were in high school.... hanging out in the cafeteria ...listening to music... playing uchre - Marty used to love playing uchre. He was soooo funny. He'd always put on these funny little voices and make us all scream. He was like our own personal little Robin Williams....really - he was hilarious. I remember he always used to impersonate Johnny Fever from WKRP in Cincinnati - figures.

He was elected president of the student council (SAC) and it was one of the most successful years I can remember. He won that nomination by a Landslide. He had so many friends. It was like people just wanted to be near him because he was so..... up. I'll never forget his highschool fame started at a football game there at Erindale S.S. in Mississauga. We were playing against Clarkson - one of our all time rivals. THe game as I remember wasn't going so well for ESS and Marty decided to get up and do something about it. I'll never forget him out there on that cold day, with his REALLY spiky, coloured, mohawk leading these hilarious cheers that he was just making up out of his head. That was it.... that was the day that Marty realized that he actually had a talent to LEAD people... to make them feel better... to make a difference. We all graduated not too long after that, and I lost touch with Marty. When I heard that he was on the Radio at CFNY, all I could think to myself was.... yep... that figures. Way to go Marty - you've found your calling. You see Marty was never "big" on studying or doing well at calculus or phys-ed or English. I will admit he was a terrible student, but I always felt he had a calling somewhere else,,,, and he found it. He found it, he embraced it, and he made it grow into something that was all him.

I don't know where he went wrong, or why he has done this as he was his own guy,,,, always. My heart goes out to his family, friends and loved ones. Obviously he was a tortured sole somewhere deep down and truly hope that everyone will remember the life...... and not the end. I am so sorry Marty. I wish I could have been there for you.... rest in peace. HR.

July 7, 2009 @ 11:03 AM

Elly

I like many others did not know the Edge had fired Martin. I woke up to this terrible news and I'm shocked. What the Edge has done is think money before talent and listeners.
I will miss Martin terribly.

July 7, 2009 @ 11:13 AM

Taiwo

I am stunned by this news. I've been a long time listener of the Edge and couldn't believe when my friend told me he had been let go, but to find out today that he is dead and likely at his own hands?? I am stunned! I remember going to the station for various band interviews and running into Martin at concerts and chatting him up here and there...It's surreal all the icons that our passing away and he WAS an icon...

July 7, 2009 @ 11:15 AM

Tricia D.

I'm sitting here in tears and complete shock. He was my favorite on-air personality and I was angry when the Edge let him go--and I let them know it. Now for it to end like this...He was the kindest...friendliest...best voice...always smiling. I was already missing him from the airwaves but I always held out the hope that he would return...now he will be missed from my life forever.

July 7, 2009 @ 11:17 AM

Ian

I worked at CFNY in the promotions dept. briefly in the early 90s for Noni Raskin and Phil Evans. Martin was the first person I met there and was the one who showed me around and sort of looked out for me, made sure I was making my way alright.

He always had an incredible kindness about him, always energized and full of life; such a strong spirit.

What a loss.

July 7, 2009 @ 11:25 AM

fuck1021

don't listen to 102.1!

July 7, 2009 @ 11:26 AM

chris

RIP you will be missed!

July 7, 2009 @ 11:28 AM

Ajax Mike

Ah fuck.

July 7, 2009 @ 11:29 AM

Chris Mihailoff

I too thought Martin was just off somewhere when I heard some other lame ass on the Thursday 30 a couple of weeks ago. What a complete shock and a shame. I've been a CFNY listener from way back in the late '80s in high school, but I guess that's all done now. No more Thursday 30, no more Club 102, no more Gurlington, no more "Get it, got it, good". RIP Martin Streek.

July 7, 2009 @ 11:29 AM

Loula

So many great nights with that voice...so many shots at the bar that seemed so casual at the time have me so sentimental now. Take care Martin and thank you.

July 7, 2009 @ 11:35 AM

Mike Tymczyszyn

RIP Martin, I can't begin to tell you how many important things in my life happened with your voice in the background. You will be missed.

July 7, 2009 @ 11:38 AM

Nick

RIP Martin. I'm sorry it had to come to this.

Thanks for introducing me to all the music you did! Us fans can rest easier knowing how uneasy the Edge execs feel over this.

July 7, 2009 @ 11:42 AM

Canada Joe (now in UK)

Terrible news - but please, what's with all the doleful music.

My Requiem: Yakety Sax

Cos you know he'd have appreciated it.

July 7, 2009 @ 11:46 AM

Dr Mike

Josie at the Edge is doing an all Martin nooner today. She had some very nice and mocing things to say at the beginning of her show today. Someone there still has a heart i suppose.

July 7, 2009 @ 11:49 AM

Dr Mike

Josie at the Edge is doing an all Martin nooner today. She had some very nice and moving things to say at the beginning of her show today. Someone there still has a heart i suppose.

July 7, 2009 @ 11:50 AM

Pete Fowler

I just received a text message 15 minutes ago from a friend regarding the passing of Martin Streek. Yet another reason why I HATE text messaging. This is not the type of news that you want to get in a " text". So many questions....I am a loss for words. The last time I saw Marty was last year when he asked me to drop by the Thursday 30 for it's 20 year anniversary. I remember that Marty was quite proud that he had "cleaned" himself up and was living healthy and I was proud of him in return. Not a lot had changed since that last time I saw Marty in 1998. 10 years had gone by quickly and Marty seemed healthier and happier. I had a lot of good times with Marty while co-hosting the Thurs 30 during the 1990's. Marty considered "listeners" as partners and/or friends and not as "customers" or a number in some ratings book. He always took the time to talk to everyone and answer the CFNY request lines. Marty was considerate and thoughtful as I have mentioned before in one of torontomike's blogs. My deepest condolences go out to Marty's family and friends.

July 7, 2009 @ 11:55 AM

Ultimate Toronto

I grew up listening to Martin on weekends, this is just terrible news.

July 7, 2009 @ 11:59 AM

Chris

Marty was school president at Erindale while I was there. Never has a school seen a pep rally like he was capable of. Many crazy memories, like the time he and his council dropped chickens out of the rafters at a dance. Good times. Lost touch over the years, but this is indeed a huge shame.

July 7, 2009 @ 12:07 PM

Adam Phillips

I used to go to The Phoenix every Saturday to enjoy the live to air. I spent many of Saturdays Challenging Martin to a game of Pool in the retro room. In life he was such a great guy and very easy to talk to. He will be missed R.I.P. Marty!!!

July 7, 2009 @ 12:15 PM

Sammi

I am speechless. For so many Saturday nights, Martin was a part of it for me. I used to go to the Phoenix and he defined what CFNY used to be.

So sad...RIP Martin.

July 7, 2009 @ 12:30 PM

Katie

Wow!! Unbelievable. I've known Martin (Marty as we called him back then) since I was in grade 3. We went all through school together and lived around the corner from each other. We shared a Tuba in Grade 7. He was the one who told me the story of the birds and the bees in grade 5 and it was not exactly eloquently put!!!lol. He was always the class clown and the president of the rowdy club in high school. Imagine that!!! We lost touch after high school but I was fortunate enough to have some time with him last year to catch up. He was so happy and upbeat and I was genuinely happy for his success in radio. I feel sad that he felt this was the only way out of his turmoil. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

July 7, 2009 @ 12:36 PM

lara aiken

i met him 20 years ago. i was 15 and snuck into the stars night club in Burlington. he was the first person to talk to me that night and did not rat me out for being under age.
the club later became the Kingdom and i went evey night till it closed.
Martin was my friend, he played a mean game of pool.he was my co- worker when i started at the kingdom and showed me the ropes.he was my sunshine when i was blue. we had great time together always.
music was the world to him.
it was his life and to be fired must have hurt to much.
i will remeber him as happy! always giving me hugs and smiling.
i have a dress he loved in my closet still.he would always hug me extra hard when i wore it and would say how hot i looked. LOL (cry) i sware i went and huged it this morning when my friend called with the news of his passing!

i love you martin and will miss you always my friend

Lara

July 7, 2009 @ 12:44 PM

Bob T

I can never listen to Edge 102.1 the same way again. I thought that the Edge stood for something better than this. This is absolute BS that they could let go of someone like Marty. That man was a huge part in making the Edge what it is. I know most people don't care enough to bitch about this like I am but it just goes to show you that all the Edge does is lie and show their asses instead of their faces.

July 7, 2009 @ 12:49 PM

Cindy

Martin was one of the last great beings that represented CFNY 'the edge'. The new owners have slowly chipped away at what used to be an original, enjoyable station. Now it might as well be any of the other mainstream stations that's out there. Martin was the last chip and he should have been respected better than that. He MADE Sunday nights. You'll be missed, Martin.

July 7, 2009 @ 12:59 PM

Lisa

This is such sad news. Martin Streek was a huge part of my early 20's and discovery of lots of new music. I'll miss his voice. RIP Martin and my heart goes out to all that knew and loved him.

July 7, 2009 @ 1:00 PM

Meg

He was the voice of music throughout the firt twenty years of my life. I moved a few years ago; when I was in town I tuned into 102.1 a few weeks ago and realized much had been lost. I didn't realize that Martin had been fired, now it all makes sense. I have lived through the suicide of several friends over the years, and I'll never forgive them for taking away the gift of their lives. Martin, I suppose, is now on that list. Though I never met him, he was a huge part of my teenage years and now he is gone. The world has lost a musical legend in Toronto, he touched a lot of lives, he will be greatly missed.

Meg

July 7, 2009 @ 1:06 PM

DANE

I have been away on business for the last 2 weeks and come back to this news about Martin. It's tragic. We all have our demons and troubles. I hope Martin has found peace in the afterlife. He was always a constant voice in Toronto. Like an old friend that you can count on to be there. I used to escape my demons with music. Listening to the Thursday 30 with Martin was a big part of those escapes. Condolences to the Martin family and friends

July 7, 2009 @ 1:07 PM

Hollywood

Very sad to hear about Martin's passing, listening on air in Alberta, always listened to the Thurs 30 countdown and especally the live to air Sat and Sun nights RIP Martin, you will be sadly missed.

July 7, 2009 @ 1:09 PM

The Big Toe

Ten years ago Martin and I played on the same team in a Toronto bar 8-Ball league. We played together for 3-4 years, and soon Martin began calling me The Big Toe. We saw each other only occasionally after that, usually playing snooker or 8 ball, drinking (until he quit) and always laughing. On Thanksgiving Sunday of 2008 my girlfriend and I decided to return to Club Rhythm on Queen Street to toast each other in the bar where we first met 20 years earlier on the same evening. Back then I played drums in a local band. What we didn't know in advance was that the bar was now Velvet Underground and Martin was broadcasting live that night. Martin immediately bought us both drinks and we laughed and talked for a while. Later in my car on the way home I tuned in The Edge just as Martin was wishing us a Happy 20th Anniversary.

I never met anybody that didn't like Martin, and I don't have any reason to listen to The Edge 102 anymore.

July 7, 2009 @ 1:12 PM

Graham

I too was unaware of his firing from cfny until I heard the terrible news this morning. I don't think I will be listening to the edge anymore as I disgusted at the way they handled his departure. At the very least they should have given him a chance to have a big farewell show. Maybe that would have let him know how much he mattered to the people of this city.

RIP Martin

July 7, 2009 @ 1:13 PM

Brad

I only met him once.
Back when the storefront studio was at Bathurst and Bloor a friend and I wandered in to look at a neon art exhibition they had on the walls.
Martin was on the air, but when he started the music up he did something no other dj had ever done, got up and walked over to say hi, introduced himself and we had a great chat.
Over the years I always remembered that, and loved hearing him on the radio.
Sad he is gone, Toronto lost an important voice.

July 7, 2009 @ 1:26 PM

Bennie

Shame on the EDGE!!! I too was unaware of the firing of Martin Streek. I cannot believe that they would let such an amazing talent go, but keep the likes of the morons on the Dean Blundell show carry on with their immature antics! RIP Martin.

July 7, 2009 @ 1:36 PM

Colleen

Martin introduced me to so many fantastic bands (new and old) that I otherwise would not have heard of through his intense enthusiasm with music. I'll never forget how he made a shout out to me for my sixteenth birthday back in February because I thanked him in an email for all that he did and then he played my request at the Velvet Underground which I listened to religiously. I always wanted to meet him (I even volunteered with the Ride to Conquer Cancer in hopes of seeing him), but sadly I guess I will never get that chance.

The Edge obviously has not been the same and the only person left that I genuinely care for now is Alan Cross. My condolences go out to Martin's loved ones and those that love him. May he be enjoying himself in the big party in the sky.

July 7, 2009 @ 1:38 PM

Travis

I just found out the news when I ran across the Martin Streek 90's nooner. I too had been unaware that Martin had been fired - I heard Lori-Ann or someone mediocre doing the LTA a week or two back and assumed Martin was on vacation.

I've been listening to the Edge for about 20 years. It's steadily been going downhill - I change the station more and more often as I hear the latest Linkin Park song played every 2.5 hours. Now, with the knowledge that they fired Martin and then he took his own life, I think I'm pretty much done. At 35 maybe I'm not in the demographic they want.

Fuck you Edge. RIP Martin.

July 7, 2009 @ 1:43 PM

Colin

Loriann is a cool chick, I met her at pheonix. She showed a lot of hospitality. I know this is about Martin, but there is no use to put down other good people.

July 7, 2009 @ 2:07 PM

Andrew

There seems to be a common theme here, many people were not even aware that Martin had been fired from the edge (Barry Taylor as well). Like others I had just assumed they were on vacation and didn't really think much of it until I heard the tragic news. Whoever is running the Edge these days really should be ashamed with themselves for how they handled Martin Streek's departure.

I know the Edge has really been going down hill the past couple years, this past year especially but it turns out its actually even worse than I originally thought which prompted me to write an email to some of the management at 102.1. Below is an email I wrote to them, I suggest other people write to them as well and voice your opinion as they seem to be forgetting who their demographic is and the talent they have(had).

---------------------------

To whom it may concern,

I'd just like to say you guys made a pretty bad move getting rid of Martin Streek and Barry Taylor a couple months ago and I am not just saying that because of the tragic death of Martin Streek. However his recent death prompted me to write this letter to let you know I think 102.1 has been slowly going downhill the past year especially.

These two guys were probably the best radio personalities you had the station and the main reason I looked forward to listening to the Edge.

Martin Streek really was the spirit of the Edge, many of your core listeners grew up listening to him and despite him getting older he was always the cool guy and never out of touch.

Barry Taylor was easily my favorite DJ, he has something that most of your current DJS do not have, personality and creativity. Instead of firing Barry you really should have considered having him for the morning show replacing the stale and boring Dean Blundel show.

Speaking of which it is really beyond me why the Dean Blundel show still exists, the show is horribly stale, dull and boring. Dean especially comes off as old guy trying way too hard to seem like he is young and still cool. If anything on your station needs a shakeup it is the morning show which has been horribly bad for several years now. It really is in desperate need for something fresh and new.

All I can say as long time listener is that I am starting to tune out of the Edge as I don't like the direction the station is headed. I may just be one listener and you'll probably discard this email before you even reach this sentence but what the hell I thought I'd write it anyways. Take it for what its worth.

- Andrew

July 7, 2009 @ 2:12 PM

Jude

I met Martin in 1991 when he was doing the road show and he invited me to see the old station and hang out with him on numerous occassions. He took the time to be nice to everyone and was an incredible person in so many ways. I think his friends and fans would honour him best by living like he did, "love everyone, trust a few, do harm to none" (Shakespeare). I love you Martin and will catch you in next life and hope it is a better one for you in every way.

July 7, 2009 @ 2:23 PM

Tracy

It's that voice that I will never forget. Marting, thank you for being.

July 7, 2009 @ 2:26 PM

Crystal

I met Martin quite a few times, at the Kingdom and occasionally while getting a drink at the Phoenix.

He was always friendly, and always ready to get us on his guestlist, even his 'special' one if he wasn't going to be there that night.

I was listening to The Edge the other day, and heard LoriAnn doing a promo for the Phoenix. I shook my head, figuring Martin was on vacation, I know he had had appendix surgery, so figured it was along this lines. Only recently did I find out about his firing, and then today, his passing.

Martin, I deeply regret the circumstances that may have led you to this decision. You will be greatly missed, and are an undeniable icon of our music industry.

May you find solace and peace. Suicide should never be the last resort.

July 7, 2009 @ 2:39 PM

Chris

I hope the "EDGE" is happy for what they done!

July 7, 2009 @ 2:41 PM

Toronto Mike

Poor Fearless Fred...

July 7, 2009 @ 3:08 PM

James Gardner

This is very sad! the ongoin history of new music was always so informative and sadly it seems he has fallen victim to the same machine that allowed him grow and share his wisdom of music also cut the ties and left him out in the cold. everyone should boycott the edge but go above and beyond our government should see this tradgedy as a sign of what recession is doin to this country and get a better game plan we cant afford to lose anymore good people

July 7, 2009 @ 3:17 PM

Crimson Cass

His warm voice is in my head. Which reminds me of a song that Rush wrote as a tribute to the "Spirit of Radio", which is what 102.1 really was in the 80s and into the 90s:

"Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive
Plays that song that's so elusive,
And the magic music makes your morning mood"

My sincerest condolences to his family, friends, and everyone who misses him.

July 7, 2009 @ 3:19 PM

noel

i am floored. i was online with him yesterday and commented on his facebook page shortly after he wrote it...unbelievable.

July 7, 2009 @ 3:21 PM

Robert

Martin was a friend and a fan/supporter of an indie label I run here in Toronto. He will be missed... R.I.P.

July 7, 2009 @ 3:29 PM

Jay Rymal

As a weekly regular at the Phoenix during his time there in my 20's (so 15 yrs ago?? wow) I always had a good time and it was all thanks to Martin. Ran into him at CFNY to pick up passes to a show, very good guy, always up for a chat.
Epic voice for radio, great host/MC. Yes, he will be missed and remembered for the rest of my life. Cheers to you Martin, keep it locked on!

July 7, 2009 @ 3:29 PM

Stephen in Durham

He was the only part of 102.1 I enjoyed.

This sucks.

July 7, 2009 @ 3:30 PM

Andrew

For all the Edge haters, every on-air personality has been making reference to Martin all day.

Say what you want about management but he was well liked by his peers. That says a lot about the man.

July 7, 2009 @ 3:30 PM

Craig

Goodbye friend.

July 7, 2009 @ 3:31 PM

Tony P

I didn't know that Martin had been let go by CFNY and then to hear the sad news this morning on AM640, sister station to Edge 102.1 I was blown away. I quickly switched the radio to 102.1 and I expected to hear something more about Martin's death but instead I was disappointed to hear those babbling idiots on the morning show. Dean Blundell talked about how proud he is to work for Chorus radio because they have never let anyone go due to economic conditions. Corporate Lies!! Was this an appropriate comment to make? Martin's death cannot be blamed on Chorus, but I do believe that comments like those from Mr. Blundell and his pals were in extremely bad taste. R.I.P. Martin. I admired your energy, style and taste in music. You picked me up when I was down and made alternative rock a part of my life with the Thusrsday 30 and your evening shows. I partied with you at the Phoenix and I loved your Halloween costumes. You inspired me to work in train and radio. Although my radio career was short-lived, I loved listening to your stories about snowboarding and crazy parties. Perhaps we will party again someday dude. In the meantime, I pray that you are in a better place.

July 7, 2009 @ 3:39 PM

Barb L.

Martin Streek . . . you were the one Rock in a sea of shifting sand called "radio" . . . R.I.P., my friend . . . you're one of God's angels now.

July 7, 2009 @ 3:49 PM

radio city rockas

i only met martin once. i was at a gig at sound academy and i recognized him at the edge booth. he was doin live to air and he asked if i was in a band. he let me go on the air live and plug it myself! he showed me his clash tattoo on his leg and seemed chill as hell
bummer he's gone
great first impression for sure!

July 7, 2009 @ 3:51 PM

Jason Paris

Martin really embodied what was left of the spirit of CFNY. As we all konw, he started working for them as a teen for the "Road Show" and even had Spirit of Radio tattooed on his ass. He was passionate about music and a lexicon of information.

Sadly, he had to become part of the game and increasingly pretend he was excited about music that frankly sucked as CFNY piegeon-holed itself into some crappy post-grunge frat boy station around 1997.

I met Martin in person on more than a few occassions and he really was everything everyone says. A real presence, always excited about music, super friendly and always willing to help someone. I still have a "Phoenix" pin from Club 102 that he gave me 15 years ago so as I could by-pass the line as he knew I was a big supporter.

Ultimately, I'm not sure what was going on in his life to make him want to end it, but I'm sure Corus' firing played a role. I suspect he was a bit of a lost soul without having to go to CFNY everyday, even if it was no longer the CFNY that he loved and nurtured since his youth.

Really, if Martin's death means anything, it means the Sprit of Radio is truly dead. "Musical perfection" will live on though.

R.I.P. Martin Streek.

July 7, 2009 @ 3:59 PM

CHRIS GALLAGHRT

many tyms i would talk to martin at whisky climbing those stairs......requesting planet earth[duran duran...omd songs......he always had tym for me....even if i had one too many.....class act..r.i.p MARTIN STREEK

July 7, 2009 @ 3:59 PM

Kerry

I met Martin several times, and he even let me and a collegue promote our photography exhibit on his Thursday 30 show a couple of times. I only knew him in the most casual sense, but I've listened to him on CFNY since it was the Spirit of Radio - when I first discovered new wave, and he was the new kid on the block. I've been sad all day about this, and can't believe he's gone. Sunday nights will never be the same - he'll be missed.

July 7, 2009 @ 4:08 PM

lana turner

I used to listen to the spirit of radio, back in the day when i was younger. The 80's were the party days of my youth. I was saddened to hear of Martin's death. When i learned he took his own life, I wondered how lonely he must have felt to not seek the help of someone who loved him.

July 7, 2009 @ 4:19 PM

Nicky

Thankyou for getting me through University in the 90's Martin. Your voice will always be remembered.

July 7, 2009 @ 4:22 PM

Mark

Martin will always be remembered for his great taste in music and his love of the industry. He was one of the few genuine people. I've always stayed loyal to CFNY (hate the name EDGE) since 1989 but I now will turn the page on them. I will only tune into Alan Cross' history of new music. RIP Martin.

July 7, 2009 @ 4:58 PM

Joe from wayback

'The spirit of radio' has lost it's soul. I'm sorry for you, Martin. Where else were you to go?

July 7, 2009 @ 5:01 PM

Steve Erwin

I cant believe you would do this over losing your job. The splash you made will ripple perpetually and the main thing you will be remembered for is offing yourself. I am a son of a parent who killed themselves and the shit you leave behind eats up your loved ones for a long long time. I understand if you are terminally ill and are in constant pain but life coulod have opened doors for you that you never thought possible. Life is not about your job.

July 7, 2009 @ 5:06 PM

Pam

I'm wondering if there is a connection between his job loss and suicide. To you Employers out there: PLEASE, if one of your staff is troubled by anxiety or depression, take the time to hear them out, offer them help and support, and most of all, understanding...

July 7, 2009 @ 5:14 PM

intrepidcrusader

CFNY has really STUNK for the last couple of years; there was only one peron left who made it worthwhile to listen to, in the midst of the mire of low IQ shock jocks and extremely limited music programs, and that was Martin Streek.

They cut out anything and anyone of value and left us with losers like Dean Blundell. It embarrasses Toronto.

July 7, 2009 @ 5:14 PM

Labes

Celebrating Martin: The Mixtape.
The Edge remembers Martin with a final "Nooner" in his honour.

12:56pm Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros Redemption Song
12:48pm Rusty Wake Me
12:44pm Rage Against The Machine Guerrilla Radio
12:41pm Nine Inch Nails March Of The Pigs
12:32pm Jane’s Addiction Jane Says
12:27pm The Tea Party Fire In The Head
12:22pm Smashing Pumpkins Mayonaise
12:18pm Nirvana All Apologies
12:09pm Johnny Cash Hurt
12:07pm Sloan The Good In Everyone
12:01pm Tool Forty Six And 2

July 7, 2009 @ 5:31 PM

Jon

You'll be missed man!!! BEST VOICE IN RADIO EVER!!! HANDS DOWN!

July 7, 2009 @ 5:41 PM

Gary

No more edge. Martin was the edge. The rest of the station is smooth pop. Thanks for helping popularize music like Tool and RATM and other artists who pushed the envelope of modern music.

Toronto has lost it's edge.

Rest in Peace

July 7, 2009 @ 5:43 PM

The Marotta Clan

Our beloved Martino. Words can never adequately express the grief that is in our hearts today. You were a special part of our family Brother, and we feel as though we have lost one of our own.
We will never forget all our wonderful memories of working with you every Friday night at our ever loved Kingdom Niteclub in "Girlington". You were never just an employee and friend to us, you shared your life and your love with our family and for that we will be forever grateful. You helped make our club the success that it was and thanks to you, we lasted nearly thirteen long years! To think I will never hear you call me "Sister Wendy" again absolutely breaks my heart. You watched our children grow up at the Kingdom and we were grateful for the special role you played in their lives. You were never too busy to offer a kind word, tell a joke, or just share a story and make us all laugh. We sure did a lot of that together!
We were honored to be in your presence and we all loved being with you.
We know we speak for all our entire "Kingdom Family" when we say Thank-you Buddy, for just being you. You were the most kind-hearted, gifted, loving man ever Martino and we will never, ever forget you.
Thanks for all the beautiful memories, we will treasure them and you in our hearts forever.
We Love and Miss You Always-
Good-night and God Bless.....
Tony, Wendy, T.J., Tyler and Katy, Oh and of course Hummer too!xoxoxoxoxoxo

July 7, 2009 @ 6:03 PM

Planet Indie Supporter

I met Martin at the Phoenix around 1996. He came up to me as we both watched some dude try and pick up my girlfriend at the bar.

He said "Isn't that guy trying to hit on your girlfriend?" - I guess he had seen us together earlier that evening. I said "Watch this, she's going to start looking around for me any second." She did find me through the crowd and subtly waved me over and me and Martin started laughing. He was impressed that I wasn't jealously running over to the bar, as I had complete trust in her. She eventually walked over to us and I introduced him to my girl. We then played pool with Martin throughout the night (in between his on-air sets). He then invited us to a party he was having afterwards. I wish now that we would have accepted his invitation, but it was cool to meet him and find out what a great guy he was. A year or so later I walked into the Edge while Martin was working and asked him for a favour. He vaguely remembered me, but was more than willing to help me out and he plugged an event on-air that I was part of for an independent film festival. A few days later I returned with a bottle of Jack Danials as a thank-you.

That was my experience in knowing Martin.

As a side note: I had mentioned to him (while playing pool) that I was trying to get into filmmaking and he had said that his brother was interested in acting. I'm still pursuing the filmmaking and it would be interesting to see if I could ever connect with his brother on a film project someday.

I hope the Angels are playing "Born Slippy" for you right now Martin!

You Rock!

July 7, 2009 @ 6:15 PM

Denny French

I woke up this morning and something just didn't feel right. Having dealt with too many deaths at a young age, already. Upon hearing of Martin's death, I was at a total loss for words and any function. We played many pool matches, that's how I met him. As many of you might remember how Martin spent alot of his time at the Phoenix playing pool in the lounge, while still casually disappearing, for several minutes to do his thing. We played for beers. He was very competitive, and it was simply a pleasure to have the opportunity to hang with him. Obviously, his presents was like no other. After meeting up a couple of years ago, he still remembered my face. It had been quite a few years. He walked right up to me and shook my hand. He never forgot a face. He was truly, an absolutly one of a kind guy, and friend, I'm proud to say. Martin, we'll meet again, we'll shoot a game or two, have a beer or two and talk about the good times. That's what I'll remember. Until then, I'll think about you, and the memories will put a grin on my face. Rest in peace 'Homeboy'.

July 7, 2009 @ 6:27 PM

Nemanja Ivanovic

First things FIRST. Martin, we are all infinitely sad to see you go and we will be reminded of how much we miss you every time the radio comes on.

Now I must say how sad I am to hear that we have lost such an amazing radio personality - someone that has made us all head-bang and rock out in our cars, the clubs and our homes. Someone that has exposed us to much of the music that gets us through the difficult times and that has made life more livable.
What makes things worse is that it is all due to a ridiculous corporate decision. Although I can't understand how someone could commit suicide and leave an emotional scar that will never heal on all of those that loved him, I do understand how deep his sadness must have been. He has dedicated his entire life to this radio station starting at his high-school years. All because he loved music and he found his purpose in life in exposing people to it. And after all those years, he gets fired due to downsizing. I can't imagine how hard it would be to be brushed aside by the very thing you put your entire life into building.

Although his broadcasts were a small part of CFNY's daily repertoire, they were an integral part of what made the station mean to us what it does. I don't remember a time at CFNY before him and I don't want to listen at a time after him.

For that reason, I am now changing the presets on my radio and boycotting a radio station to which a DJ like Martin Streek means no more than a dollar figure. It is clear that CFNY has made it to the opposite end of the spectrum from "The Spirit of Radio". Since the dawn of the days of "Corus Radio", we have seen our favourite radio station decline steadily. In May of this year, it has been reduced to the kind of radio "filth" that it was created to stand out of.

With the passing of Martin goes the hope that Toronto will once again have a radio station such as the CFNY we fondly remember.

Martin, I hope you find bliss on the other side and that you restore The Spirit of Radio for all of us when our time comes to meet you in eternity.

We loved you when you were here, we cherish every little memory with you now that you're gone.

July 7, 2009 @ 7:25 PM

Stamos

We are in shock. We still can not believe it.
We had the priviledge of working with Martin for a few years when we owned The Kingdom Niteclub and he was utterly an amazing person.
Always happy, telling jokes and looking for the best in everything. Through his love for music and passion for DJing he allows us to remember him forever.
There will never be no other.
You will be greatly missed & in our memories and hearts forever.
RIP-God Bless,
George & Anastasia

July 7, 2009 @ 7:50 PM

TakWang Chan

Yes I echo everything said so far. Martin was a Giant Beacon of Friendship. He would pay attention to your presence and give his time of day whether to fulfil a request,answer aquestion or just make small talk.I enjoyed our talks when I stopped by the studio for stuff and Pizza. RIP You are Greatly Loved & Already Missed!P.S. 've been a fan for 30+ yrs. L+R TakWChan

July 7, 2009 @ 7:54 PM

freiherrin

mike -

this is ominous. it has been bad enough over the past decade as people have been laid off from their employment, because they were "older". but now we are seeing the young ones - forties to late thirties - getting the same boot. does it not strike you as rather silly and counterproductive that the station would lay off two of their most distinctive and knowledgeable voices, martin streek and barry taylor, while keeping the inimitably vapid stylings of josie dye? since when - the station should tell us - do the listeners want style over substance? josie and her insufferable sophomore jokes alluding to matters (possibly) sexual are a far cry from the knowledge and interest shown by barry and martin - who probably could not get another job commensurate with his talent and experience.

right now i am telling you that i, for one, refuse any longer to listen to the edge.

July 7, 2009 @ 8:35 PM

Brenda

I met Martin several times over the years, and he was a pretty amazing guy. We chatted about how we didn't like the direction that the station was moving, about all the bands we both liked, and snowboarding.

My symathies to all who loved him. Martin, you will be missed!

July 7, 2009 @ 8:46 PM

Lee

I was at Velvet one night a couple of years ago when Martin Streek was going to be giving away tix to the CASBY's. The moment finally arrived and he announced that he'd give tickets to the first few people to bring him a photo of a family member. My clubbing wallet has a little pic of my cat, Odeus, so I brought that up, ever hopeful..... Martin was so cool! He said to me that he considered his cat to be family too, and gave me the tix.

I don't think I can listen to the Edge ever again.

July 7, 2009 @ 8:47 PM

RiverdaleYabo

Not being a hugh CFNY fan (i always listened to Q107 more) I always made time for the Thursday 30 when Streek hosted - this is a sad day for all fans of Toronto radio and those who knew Martin - Maybe its time for those in Toronto Radio to think about a New Alternative - To Martin, "ave atque vale".

July 7, 2009 @ 9:15 PM

Aimee

I can still hear Martin every friday night at the Kingdom, "keep it locked in and cranked" was his infamous line. I first met Martin back in 88 when he did club 102 with Chris Sheppard at the old Channel 11 building downtown Hamilton. He will definitely be missed in our household or in the car on a boring ride home from the in law's house.
RIP Martin you were the Edge!

July 7, 2009 @ 9:54 PM

Charysah

I am in complete shock.
This is a big loss.

My thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends .
Rip Martin

July 7, 2009 @ 10:51 PM

Allison

Wow, I am in shock. Martin was the Edge. He was the true definition of "the spirit of radio".
I hope Martin is up there having a drink with Joe Strummer.
Martin, thanks for the memories, may you rest in peace.

July 7, 2009 @ 11:14 PM

Jan

I remember Marty from High School days...he used to DJ over the lunch hour. I followed his career on and off since then...his passing leaves a void in radio.

July 7, 2009 @ 11:23 PM

Sanjay

This is a sad day. Martin was one of the best... I can still hear his voice on the radio right now. 102.1 will never be the same without him.

FUCK WHOEVER IT WAS THAT FIRED HIM! FUCK THE EDGE!

rest in peace...
sorry it had to happen like this..

you will be deeply missed

July 7, 2009 @ 11:38 PM

RVS

Martin was everything and more to the music scene he embraced, a scene that in turn, embraced him. He was loved and admired by all who came into his world and a true icon of the multimedia personality he embodied. What is sad is that he forgot the fact that he was one of a small group that made CFNY. Without Martin and Dave and the rest of the visionaries that were responsible, CFNY would never have been. It's time to celebrate Martin and bury CFNY.

July 8, 2009 @ 12:27 AM

Mere

The shitty thing is that being someone who works in the mental health field, it seems that he really did not want to die. If he put a sign on his door saying call 911 and posted that facebook message he wanted to be found quickly and hopfully revived. Such a shame that nobody saw it coming cause the facebook comment didn't make sense at first. I'll just say sorry everyone let you down. We just did not expect this.

July 8, 2009 @ 1:07 AM

mertz

hey mike thanks for this. i googled martin streek because i wanted to go to a place and post a comment and see if this was actually true, but i find out that it is and that he really isn't here. i heard it yesterday morning on q from jian ghomeshi before his sonic youth set, and i turned it to the edge and they were playing lots of nin, tool, rage, etc...but i didn't hear anyone say anything about it and i had to go downtown anyways so i planned to go to the edge and apologize to adam (who sounded shattered yesterday morning), which i did...but he wasn't working at the time and everything looked same old at the edge, but it was weird being there and just learning that he had died. i've been listening to cfny since i was 6 years old but not constantly for the past couple of years so like a lot of people i didn't know he had gotten fired. i guessed what had happened, because there seemed to be a lot of dead air/people covering for them/new dj's on air...so i was a bit confused about what was really going on. martin streek always made time to talk to me and give me advice and hear my nattering on about random shit and about my life long struggle with depression, and he really helped me/reinforced that i should follow my heart if i was into art instead of going into something i didn't like. when i was in my car accident and not sleeping for about 2 years plus, although i hardly ever slept either way, he was always just a phone call away. he was involved in the city and would keep you in the know about things that were happening. he always gave the best shout outs and allowed us to promote things on the show even if he didn't know us. he played records from dudes who just handed him demos, and he was just a great supporter and educator of music. i always had the best conversations with him. i remember being in grade 6 or 7 and being downtown taking some pics for my photography class, and i went to a spot he had suggested was good to capture lots of local kids skateboarding or bmxing, riding and doing tricks, having fun, and i went, and i saw from behind skating on his board...which i would see a couple of times. i got to meet him and actually show him that the girl he always made time for was a real person.over the years as i got older and since he made me feel like a comfortable member of the edge community, i have seen him on different ocassions in the city and it was always easy to talk to him and start up for last conversations. we had some great debates/disagreements which always ended with us finding common ground, and HE ALWAYS REMEMBERED ME...maybe he was good at pretending or something but he always knew who i was, which i thought was kind of amazing since my own bro's and my family memeberd forget me all the time :P...yeah but he always remembered me and i will him. i am blessed to have known him even just a little and he was blessed to have lived. i can't imagine that he won't be doing everything he loved to do. it's so hard. he was such an awesome giving dude. he shared himself. i'm so sad and distraught about this. RIP martin. you were really loved. we thank you for being there for us. my condolences to his girlfriend and his family and friends.

July 8, 2009 @ 7:23 AM

Zen3131

RIP Martin Streek
You're passion and intensity for the music you played touched the lives of so many people. You were indeed a part of Toronto night life. Things just wont be quite the same now that you're gone...
"And the embers never fade in the city by the lake; the place where we were born" -Smashing Pumpkins

July 8, 2009 @ 9:20 AM

I'm Not for Sale

Very sad news.

What's just as sad is that a great local indie station named 102.1 died LONGGG ago at the hands of 'edgy' corporate media fascism.

It's interesting how Martin's passing has ended up paralleling the station's demise.
This station has finally flatlined.
Shame on you 'the edge'.

July 8, 2009 @ 10:37 AM

TP

I used to listen to Martin all the time on radio, and went to Phoenix quite a bit when I was younger. I never knew what he looked like though, so I didn't even know he lived in my building. I came home on Monday and saw a forensics truck outside. At the time, I didn't know who just passed away, but then someone posted a note on the bulletin board regarding Martin on Tuesday. Such a tragedy. I hope he is resting in peace now.

July 8, 2009 @ 11:09 AM

DS

Extremely sad news, especially under these tragic circumstances. Doesn't seem to matter how much talent you have, how hard you work or how long you have been a loyal employee. Corporate bean-counters and human resources types just throw people out like a piece of trash with an irresponsible disregard for any aftermath. The results, as we have seen in this case, can be devastating. The "human" element is completely AWOL from the workplace today and society has to smarten up. We have to treat good people better than this. Goodbye, Martin. You will be missed. You will be remembered. You will be back...

July 8, 2009 @ 12:30 PM

Paul Baranski

I'm a member of the "inside edge" at 102.1 website and have been for several years.....after all of this, I wrote to them and asked them to remove me as a member. It's a small token gesture of my dissaproval for firing two great radio personalities, and ultimately prompting Martin to take his own life - but it's better than doing nothing. Maybe if everyone did this, then these big corporations might think twice before non-chalantly firing a great DJ or any other employee who has poured their heart and soul over most of their adult lives into producing a quality radio program which made the owners rich over the years. Did they ever show him any appreciation I wonder?

July 8, 2009 @ 9:08 PM

Ro

Beyond the Silence and sorrow.... I cannot say how much this marks the end of a VERY Cool ERA that Thrived long ago!
Listen up Radio Corporations! You know who you are... you are an empty shell, and Toronto is NOTHING without it's visionary people like Martin Streek!
May the Universe hold you CLOSE MARTIN!
YOu shared your daring self with the world when others were too busy playing the empty game of conformity!
I love YOU!

July 8, 2009 @ 11:15 PM

lee

martin streek you ROCK, r.i.p

torontomike, pls keep this page as a memorial to a great guy

July 8, 2009 @ 11:17 PM

Toronto Mike

@lee

This page isn't going anywhere.

July 8, 2009 @ 11:19 PM

Max Headroom

What a great guy. Just ask his Mother who is now sick with grief. Or ask any who loved him who are crushed beyond repair. What a great guy he was to do this to them. Bravo Mike!!!!

July 9, 2009 @ 1:06 AM

Teedot

Shocked to hear about this. My condolences to his family and friends. May the coming days bring you all comfort and peace. RIP, Mr. Streek.

July 9, 2009 @ 1:38 AM

Neville Ross

Want some good radio that sounds like 'The Edge' used to?
Here's they are:

WFMU ( broadcasts from New Jersey & part of New York state)-

• www.wfmu.org
  • NME (New Musical Express, broadcasts from England)-

• www.nme.com/radio
  • Diesel U Music Radio (dance music similar to what Martin Streek used to play at Whiskey Saigon and Velvet Underground)-

• July 9, 2009 @ 1:47 AM

Jeff McN

Well over the last few days I've been beyond angry and upset at the powers that be (Corus and company) for stripping the soul out of Martin, cfny and frankly a part of myself. Did they really think that the listeners would just forget and move on? Did they not realize that the house would crumble without the foundation on which it was built? Sure there was no big stink at first... Because no one knew he was gone. Like myself, I'm sure most of the public just figured Martin took a night off, or was on vacation. What a sneaky thing to do to such loyal listeners and to him. Most of us had been living WITH cfny all our lives. He had no chance to say goodbye to us.

Martin had many tatoos of things he loved. One of them was cfny spirit of radio. On the Edge website just after he was fired there was not a shred of evidence that he even existed. No inkling of how much of himself he gave to that station over the last 20 years. How do you think that made him feel?
    Martin loved his job, his music and his life. How can you separate your passion from your job when your passion IS your job? I realize that radio is a business. But it means nothing when you are the one affected. It makes me feel so sad and hopeless to see creativity, integrity and professionalism replaced by the bottom line($$$) and mainstream mediocrity. I've lived it personally in such a bad way in my own industry(TV). My position was eliminated last year, but I was fortunate to land on my feet.

I first met Martin at a roller rink named Revolution in Scarborough where he was doing a live to air and I was helping out djing. After that I spent all of my 20's hanging out with him mostly at Whiskey Saigon on Sundays and more memorably at the Joker on Thursday nights. We would always talk about boarding and there would always be some crazy story about how he tamed the mountain or how the mountain tamed him! Like everyone else has said you were his number one friend and just shooting the shit was an adventure. I think most of have been hit really hard because of how good to us he was. We all felt like best friends and when ever we saw each other it would be an event. "HEY! What's up Brutha'!!!" A few Martinisms that will always stick with me...

"We are live here at the Kingdom in Girlington."
    "That was Block Rockin' Beats by Chemicals Brother."
    "This one's going real late."
    "Kicking of the set was Smack my bitch up by Prodigy Prodigy."

Like a growing giant star you grew and grew to reach so many of us. When you imploded you brought us all with you.

Godspeed good buddy. And thanks for making all of us feel so important.

July 9, 2009 @ 4:26 AM

Jef Gendreau

I've had the privledge of knowing Martin for the past 20 years. A man full of life,love,and adrenaline. Passionate for fun,and a die hard passion for music. Martin the next time sky-dive is for you buddy .Rest in peace,and rock and roll forever!!!!You will be sadly missed on all of our airwaves!!!!-Fej

July 9, 2009 @ 10:41 AM

Gary

Neville Ross...someone died and you are promoting another radio station??? Really bad taste!! This isn't the place for that.

RIP Marty....I will miss you.

July 9, 2009 @ 1:43 PM

Anonymous

bad tsste prevails... it's ubiquitous

July 9, 2009 @ 4:38 PM

Tate

Actually I think this is the perfect place for recommending another station. The edge is dead and has caused so much heartache. Corus media cannot run a station that is meant to be cutting edge and independent.

Miss you already Martin,

screw corus.

July 9, 2009 @ 4:47 PM

Diggertsi

As I type this, I am listening to Marsden's more-inspired-than-usual show on 94.9 The Rock. Kudos to management at The Rock for giving Marsden free reign on the air.

I never had the chance to meet Martin Streek, but as a long-time listener of CFNY and knowing what Martin put in to everything he did, for music, his shows, etc., I realize how much influence he has had on me, as music is a big part of us and our lives as we go through our own journey.

Martin, thousands of us wish your journey did not have to end so soon, but we will carry your memory with us through our lives as we listen to "our" music.

Rest in peace.

(I suppose we can say "rest in peace" for truly good, entertaining, differentiated radio, too. Marsden still carries the torch, thankfully. Thank goodness for the internet, too, as we no longer have to listen to local Toronto radio if we are near a computer. There are alternatives out there. Pun intended.)

July 9, 2009 @ 10:34 PM

John Hamilton

I'm not saying . . . I'm just saying . . .

July 10, 2009 @ 4:06 AM

Edge sucks!

Sorry to hear about this... Radio has taken a great loss! I like the guy on here that promotes his band on behalf of Martin's death and belittles him by calling him a fan! your band sucks dude! and he was just being nice to you...Because he knew how annoying and arrogant you are! Martin had the true edge not this over hyped radio station that plays the same shit over and over! They lost the best thing that ever happened to that station! Edge Faggots! Now all you have is that dumb, no talent bimbo Josi Dye, George Phony Pony and those 40 something year old homos that make fart jokes in the morning...Good luck with that! What a joke! The edge my ass! you have no more edge! you just lost it!!!!

July 10, 2009 @ 9:29 AM

Karen

I did not even know that Martin had been let go. I didn't know Barry Taylor had been let go either, until I was reading posts about Martin.

I never me Martin, but he's been with me for 20 years. CFNY will not be with me for another hour.

July 10, 2009 @ 5:46 PM

Michelle

Martin may not have known just how many people from around the world that he touched with his genius. I grew up in TO and since I've left, I have really missed the clubs and dance floors that Martin DJ'd. Sadly it took his death for me to actually realize why those clubs were so wonderful... he was the reason. A piece of my youth died will die with him.

July 10, 2009 @ 7:42 PM

FUCNFY

I can't stand it when big business buys a stations that's successful because it's successful, then tries to what? make it better? Dumb Assess! WTF is wrong with you idiots?!?!

July 11, 2009 @ 4:57 PM

Jeff McNamara

Martin Streek (1964-2009)
    Yesterday at 01:32 | Edit note | Delete

Martin had many tatoos of things he loved. One of them was "cfny spirit of radio". On the Edge website just after he was fired there was not a shred of evidence that he even existed. No inkling of how much of himself he gave to that station over the last 20 years. How do you think that made him feel?

I first met Martin at a roller rink named Revolution in Scarborough where he was doing a live to air and I was helping out djing. After that I spent all of my 20's hanging out with him mostly at Whiskey Saigon on Sundays and more memorably at the Joker on Thursday nights. We would always talk about boarding and there would always be some crazy story about how he tamed the mountain or how the mountain tamed him! Like everyone else has said you were his number one friend and just shooting the shit was an adventure. I think most of have been hit really hard because of how good to us he was. We all felt like best friends and when ever we saw each other it would always be an event... "HEY! What's up Brutha'!!!"

A few Martinisms that will always stick with me...

"We are live here at the Kingdom in Girlington."
    "That was Block Rockin' Beats by Chemicals Brother."
    "This one's going real late."
    "Kicking of the set was Smack my bitch up by Prodigy Prodigy."

Godspeed good buddy. And thanks for making all of us feel so important.

July 12, 2009 @ 5:53 PM

Anonymous

They keep trash like Dean Blundell and fire a class act like Martin, Fuck Alan Cross for doing this!!

July 14, 2009 @ 3:50 PM

Toronto Mike

Alan Cross isn't PD there anymore.

The man you want is Ross Winters.

July 14, 2009 @ 4:20 PM

Anonymous

Fuck Ross Winters then!! I agree that Dean Blundell is a piece of shit!! Todd too and Jason is just a fucking yes man!!

July 14, 2009 @ 6:08 PM

Sue Murray

Try listening to C101 Mohawk colledge radio. It's the spirit of Martin spinning the tunes. Keep it locked and cranked.

July 15, 2009 @ 10:39 AM

John

He was younger than me! Go figure. Just like my dad.

July 15, 2009 @ 8:32 PM

matt

Holy shit I just heard about this. I'm in complete disbelief. I think I might throw up. I can't remember how many weekends I stayed up listening to club 102, the peonix, thursday 30... RIP Marty :(((

July 16, 2009 @ 6:39 PM

dave

I live next door to his older brother back in the 90's and met him afew times, great voice and perfect timing, one summer he had a place at queens quey, to enjoy for a mouth or so, we had a great time there, i think he was house sitting the condo. , he loved his hair too lol... he always saved any two dollar bill that came his way, and after a year would spend then on a holiday... (this was just before the loony and toony)
    his brother was a very nice guy also, very friendly and open minded. he worked at cfny also way way back
    Best wishes to his family and friends
    someone play america pie martin style...

July 17, 2009 @ 3:20 AM

dave

Best wishes to his family and friends
    someone play america pie martin style...

July 17, 2009 @ 3:20 AM

David

RIP Martin

Kinks - Around The Dial

Radios of the world are tuning in tonight,
    Are you on the dial, are you tuned in right?
    One of our D.J.'s is missing.
    Are you listening?
    Are you listening to me?
    Can you hear me?
    Can you hear me clearly?
    Around the dial.

I've been around the dial so many times,
    But you're not there.
    Somebody tells me that you've been taken off the air.
    Well, you were my favorite D.J.,
    Since I can't remember when.
    You always played the best records,
    You never followed any trend.
    F.M., A.M. where are you?
    You gotta be out there somewhere on the dial.
    On the dial.

(Are you ready) We're going 'round the dial,
    (Are you listening) Around the dial,
    (Are you tuned in) Around the dial,
    (Are you searchin') Around the dial.
    F.M., A.M. where are you?
    You gotta be out there somewhere on the dial.
    On the dial.

Where did you go Mr. D.J.?
    Did they take you off the air?
    Was it something that you said to the corporation guys upstairs?
    It wasn't the pressure,
    You never sounded down.
    It couldn't be the ratings,
    You had the best in town.
    Somehow I'm gonna find ya, track you down.
    Gonna keep on searchin',
    Around and around and 'round and 'round...

(They're searchin') Around the dial,
    (They're listenin') Around the dial,
    (Poor station) The best in town,
    (Poor D.J.) Who never let us down.
    While the critics kept on knocking you,
    You just kept on rocking around the dial.
    Around the dial.

I've been searchin' for you on my radio.
    This time your station really must have gone underground
    Somebody said you had a minor nervous breakdown.
    Was it something that you heard,
    Or something that you saw,
    That made you lose your mind,
    Did you lose control.
    Did you step out of line?
    If you're there, give us a sign.

I can't believe that you've been taken off the air.
    Think I'll sell my radio now that you're not there.
    You never gave in to fashion,
    You never followed any trends,
    All the record bums tried to hack you up,
    But you were honest to the end.
    Gonna keep my radio on,
    'Till I know just what went wrong.
    The answers out there somewhere on the dial.
    On the dial.

Can you hear me (around the dial)
    Are you listenin' (around the dial)
    Are you out there (around the dial)
    Can you hear me?
    Around the dial.

July 17, 2009 @ 2:25 PM

Dave O -Jakalope/Skinny Puppy

Martin was one of my biggest supporters of all the work I have ever done. I always looked forward to seeing him when I came to Toronto. It won't be the same without you Martin!! My next CD is dedicated to you and all the music you loved!

July 18, 2009 @ 3:22 PM

Anonymous

Is Ross Winters responsible for firing Martin & Barry?

July 19, 2009 @ 6:55 PM

Toronto Mike

@Anonymous

As PD, we have to assume that's the case.

July 19, 2009 @ 7:22 PM

A. Caruso

Well like everyone else I didn't hear of Martin and Barry's departure from the edge right away...I think I figured it out online somehow after wondering why Martin and Barry's slots were both being hosted by someone else.

I didn't hear of Martin's death until a few days ago when my cousin mentioned it to me - I had been out of the country for several weeks.

Of all the cowardly and disgusting things that Chorus could do, I hope this is forever etched in the memory of the person who had to fire Martin. Thanks but no thanks, be on your way? Martin was the life and soul of the party that USED to be CFNY/Edge....but that ship has now sailed. I remember listening to Martin when I was a kid and wayyyy to young to go to the Phoenix or whatnot but wanting to go desperately because he made it sound not just like the best place to be, but the ONLY place to be. He was a true pioneer....

It is sad that today companies like to use the line "its not personal, its business" well all I have to say is FUCK BUSINESS because sending someone on their way without so much as a goodbye is not just business its disgusting and cruel.

RIP Martin, we will all miss you and you will always be remembered as the life and soul of the party :)

July 21, 2009 @ 12:50 PM

The Mind of a Mom

It's always sad to loose someone but to loose them to their own hand is even sadder. I went to school with "Martin" and will miss him a lot.

July 24, 2009 @ 10:34 AM

matt

He should have a building or a street named after him.

July 24, 2009 @ 3:00 PM

roko

Martin RIP

What a great personality

Don't listen to the Edge, let Cross enjoy his morning crap with Dean Blandell
    Roko

July 25, 2009 @ 7:46 PM

ben

I can't help but remember how nice Martin was. Even though he had 15 years on me, he still took the time to go longboarding after the kingdom nights in Burlington. I hope his family can find comfort in these sad times.
    Ben

July 27, 2009 @ 11:40 PM

Feegaro

I would listen to him on the radio and he would always make Birthday shout outs to B-Day people partying inside the club.

Sometimes, I wouldn't feel like going out on the weekend, but then Martin would start playing the tunes and talking about the good looking people. He had a way of getting you out of the house, to check out some bands or clubs on the weekend.

He had a "rap" like style for a white guy as he announced the songs and bands. It wasn't overpowering, but it fit right in between the songs. You just knew he was having a great time!

July 28, 2009 @ 7:57 PM

mike

I remember as a teenager religiously listening to his live-to-air broadcasts from Whiskey Saigon back in the mid and late 90's every Sunday night. As someone who hated school, and especially despised Mondays, his show represented the last piece of the weekend before having to go back to the real world.

RIP Martin

July 30, 2009 @ 10:10 PM

Kevin E

I hope Martin can read these comments from radio heaven, I hope he knows how much of an impact he had on the ears, minds and lives of all who listened. Thank you Martin. You are the SPIRIT OF RADIO!

November 25, 2009 @ 10:43 PM

Ted

Martin was the person who convinced me to move to Toronto. He said "Do It, Man" and I did.

I loved talking with him. I believe our last conversation was about Weezer.

November 26, 2009 @ 9:20 PM

Shaun

He was awesome, I knew him for a year before I knew who he really was. Talked with him about music for hours. He had a real love and passion for it.....

The universe will expand and then collapse back and expand again. It will repeat this process forever. What you don’t know is that when the Universe expands again, everything will be as it is now. Whatever mistakes you make this time around, you will live through on your next pass. Every mistake you make you will live through, again and again, forever. So my advise to you is to get it right this time around, because this time is all you have.

Kevin Spacey quote from K-PAX

December 11, 2009 @ 6:00 AM

Shaun

Kevin Spacey quote from K-PAX

December 11, 2009 @ 6:00 AM

Shaun

Kevin Spacey quote from K-PAX

December 11, 2009 @ 6:01 AM

Didi

Martin....he had this incredible ability to make such a positive impact on everyone he encountered...he was truly gifted. I feel lucky to have known him...you will be sadly missed.Radio will never be the same without you...
    RIP Martin

December 22, 2009 @ 8:44 PM

Matt

You guys are all railing against Blundell, but I'll tell you.. When Martin died, I searched that site for any shred of information regarding what happened. The only thing that came up was a blog posting from Dean about what an amazing, stand-up guy Martin was.

I remember meeting Martin at the Kingdom back in the day. I enjoyed listening to him on air and he was light years better than half of the newer folks at the Edge. Him, Alan, and Bookie know their music and that's something important! Meanwhile Chorus is keeping people like Josie, who's more into plugging her little gig on Cosmo TV.

December 24, 2009 @ 12:12 PM

ANDREW

1 year later and it still hurts

June 7, 2010 @ 11:01 PM

Thanks

Thankyou for getting me through University in the 90's Martin.

October 28, 2010 @ 12:25 PM

Sammy

November 13, 2010 @ 10:14 AM

Wandering Penguin

I ran into Martin more than once when he was doing the road show but the lasting memory of him was a night in 1998 when The Watchmen were performing at the Horseshoe as a CD release party for Silent Radar. Of course CFNY was giving away tickets to the event - a live-to-air thingy, as I recall - and I hadn't been lucky enough to score any as of the eveing of the show.

So I headed over to the Edge studios in the Eaton Centre and just kind of hung out there to see if anyone perhaps wouldn't pick up their freebies. Martin noticed me and came over to see if he could help with anything. I told him why I was there and he said, "how many tickets do you need?" When I let him know I only wanted one for myself he pulled out his wallet and gave me a single ticket . I thanked him profusely and he said, "No problem, man, you obviously love the band and you need to be there."

That's the Martin Streek I will always, always remember.

June 11, 2011 @ 1:03 PM

Jame

July 14, 2011 @ 8:22 AM

Alex in Montreal

Two and a half years later, this is still a tragedy that haunts me, and I wish like hell that it haunts those wonderful people at Corus even more.

Martin was wonderfully imperfect as all of us are, with demons and secrets and all that comes with it, but that made him who he was, and that's okay. CFNY was his life's work really, he came in to the business at the bottom and worked his way to the top of the heap in Toronto, hosting some of the most enjoyable and successful "live to air" broadcasts that any of us had seen. Friday nights a the Kingdom, Saturday at Pheonix, and Sundays at Whiskey Saigon are all memories none of us will forget, and they made the man, the legend, the name grow.

Corus, well, slash and burn as they often seem to do, this time hitting Martin at a part of his life that maybe was more difficult, the accepting of "growing up" at least a bit, and finding yourself in the range of 40 and unemployed must have been a little too much. It's sad that none of us could find a way to avoid it, to break down the wall and save him. That itself is sad.

The Edge? Well, the live to air stuff seems to be all gone, replaced with more corporate goodness. I don't listen anymore, I can't bring myself to do so. So much of the "spirit" of the place is gone, they removed to me the guy that sort of anchored the attitude and tone of the place, and with Martin Streek gone, what was there? Alan Cross? He too has been Corus'ed, reorged out of a job and off the air in Toronto.

It's all sad, to see the way things work. It's all sad to see that Martin couldn't find the way around it.

No matter what Martin Street, you are still cooler than Bono!

January 2, 2012 @ 1:20 PM

Eric in Japan

I've been living in Japan for 15 years. Every once in a while, I had gone back to Toronto and join the crowed on Sat night at Phoenix.
    Only in Sep 2009, I found a shocking news..

Recently, I have found a favorite DJ in Japan. reminds very much of Martin.

Martin, there are followers even all the way in Japan

September 10, 2012 @ 1:06 PM

Derek in Woodstock

I was cleaning up the last of my CD collection and found a couple recordings of Martin hosting at Joes in 2003... Sadly I looked where to find him now and learned of his death over 2 years later.
    It's still not easy... I started listening early tonight, but I'm going to stay up late and keep drinking in honor of Martin. You will be missed!

December 30, 2012 @ 9:58 PM