Roger Ashby Announces Retirement from CHUM

One of my favourite fun facts to share on episodes of Toronto Mike'd is that Roger Ashby is the last person on Toronto radio who could have been heard on Toronto radio in the 60s. After a long career at 1050 CHUM, Ashby moved over to 104.5 CHUM-FM in '85 where he'd spend many years as part of the Roger, Rick & Marilyn morning show with Rick Hodge and Marilyn Denis.

Rick moved on years ago, and today Roger Ashby announced his last day at CHUM would be December 5th. Of course, this is not news to listeners of Toronto Mike'd. John Donabie came on and spilled the beans in July, the same week Jamar McNeil joined Roger and Marilyn in the booth.

When Jamar visited last week, I told him we knew Roger was retiring by the end of the year and that he was his replacement, but that guy deserves credit for playing it cool and saving the internal announcement for Roger himself. Roger made that announcement this morning.

That episode with Jamar is great and I strongly recommend you give it a listen. I also recommend my conversation with Rick Hodge.

Roger himself also dropped by, and even though he told me he only had 30 minutes, it's jam-packed with interesting tidbits about his 50 years on the air. You'll find that episode here.

Roger's a great guy and has been an institution on Toronto's airwaves for half a century. Congrats, and enjoy what's next!

Related episodes of Toronto Mike'd:

bsmntdwllr73

So how long to Marilyn follows suit as well? Not a listener, so I don't really have a vested
interest, but based on Jamar's fantastic interview on here last week, he probably deserves
an equally hip and younger on-air female co-host. Relax, dissenters, Marilyn will always have
that cheesy CTV show to fall-back on when her exit day FINALLY comes!! Besides, when was the last
time either Roger or Marilyn actually had any enthusiasm for their station's POP! playlist?!?
Good luck to Roger, though, he definitely deserves to rest on his laurels at this point.

October 25, 2018 @ 9:22 AM

jj

bsmntdwllr73 - if Mike is correct and Marilyn's son comes on, she may want a few more years on with him as her co host. But either way, I predict her retiring in 5 years or so (she also just got married to her kinda high school sweetheart this year) - so I can see her wanting more time with him. I cannot see myself marrying my high school sweetheart however :)

October 25, 2018 @ 9:25 AM

I have no insight into this, but I could see Marilyn hanging around for a while yet.

p.s. Roger told me he still digs Top 40. Here's a snippet.

October 25, 2018 @ 9:26 AM

@jj

That guess about Adam Wylde joining CHUM was made before they added Jamar. Now I'm thinking he joins Virgin. But this is just wylde speculation on my part.

October 25, 2018 @ 9:29 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Haven't seen or heard that kind of excellent punning since the heyday of ABC's craptacular, TGIF! shitcom lineup back in the nineties!!!

@jj
Don't think that Toronto could handle the cuteness of that kinda mother-son morning show, no matter how enthusiastic or talented the participants !! As for settling down with one's high school
sweetheart, for most of my life, my 'dating c.v.' was largely akin to the title of a popular Pink song
from 2006!!!

October 25, 2018 @ 9:40 AM

jj

TM - I see what you did there...! It'd be cool for them to work together, but I am sure he wants to obviously carve out his own path so Virgin makes sense. I knew Jamar would settle in nicely. I wonder how Darren B Lamb feels about it? (he probably doesn't care as he has his own show now)

October 25, 2018 @ 9:43 AM

@jj

Darren B. Lamb might be the big winner in all of this. He's feelin' A-OK as co-host of the biggest commercial radio morning show in the city.

October 25, 2018 @ 9:56 AM

jj

TM - you right, you right. I thought he would be the next co-host beside Marilyn, so I was surprised when he made the jump, but he is the big winner!

bsmntdwllr73 - I had to google that, LOL. I myself am not a huge dater either. Toronto right now does not deserve a cute mother son duo LOL but it is what we need.

October 25, 2018 @ 10:09 AM

@jj

The BIG winner though is Maureen Holloway.

October 25, 2018 @ 10:12 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@jj
Glad it gave you a slight chuckle!! Wasn't one of Pink's bigger hits, but it seemed a most fitting tie-
in for my previous comment. All-in dating isn't for wimps, and sadly, emotionally, I'm more bloodied
than the rarest of steaks! (Good thing, then, that I somehow stumbled into the scarcest of genuine DIAMONDS!!!)

October 25, 2018 @ 10:13 AM

jj

bsmntdwllr73 - it did give me a chuckle. i'm definitely also blocked. it's wonderful you've found your diamond :) i have a hope the man of my dreams is out there :) just right now he is probably with someone else.... he could be someone's bf or husband, maybe even a monk?!

TM - good on her!

October 25, 2018 @ 10:27 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@jj
Believe me, I'm more than aware of that fact!! Not too many women would have been willing to take that particular romantic leap given my INTERESTING background and dim (current) prospects. Not-So
Fun fact: I once read that 66% of people on the Spectrum will go through life without some kind of
romantic partner. Was kind of reassuring to know that for a long, long, long time I was with the
majority on something (no matter that it was a beyond-depressing statistic!!).

October 25, 2018 @ 10:31 AM

jj

bsmntdwllr73 - 66%! That is a high number. I think mostly everyone deserves love, and I think all people want it, even if they say they don't. I'm a romantic!

October 25, 2018 @ 11:13 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@jj
Nothing wrong whatsoever with being a romantic!! But people have to not only being open to
being loved, but they also have to be able to love themselves (at least a little bit, lol!!). This was
a lesson I had a very hard time learning/understanding and ultimately accepting. But I finally
came around to it only a couple of years ago. #NeverTooLate!! (and for those feeling the thread
has been hijacked, it kinda is sideways related in that there was that earlier mention of Marilyn
Dennis recently marrying her high school sweetheart!!).

October 25, 2018 @ 11:50 AM

jj

bsmntdwllr73 - spot on! have to know how to love yourself, so you know exactly what you need from someone (and can distinguish the good from bad) it is indeed never too late.

sorry about going semi off topic guys! :P

October 25, 2018 @ 12:17 PM

Yorkster

Unpopular opinion: Roger Ashby was kinda forced out by Bell Media, for budgetary reasons. Bell was probably unwilling to renew his contract or they lowballed him.

I get the sense Rogerz did the same with Gord Martineau.

October 25, 2018 @ 6:07 PM

@Yorkster

Is there any doubt?

Of course Gord was forced out. I'd bet Mike Cooper was, too.

October 25, 2018 @ 7:35 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Good for Roger, he has had a distinguished radio career, and can go out with a farewell to his fans.

October 25, 2018 @ 9:48 PM

SomeOdderListener

I've drifted away from morning radio so I only check in here when there is some kind of big news in the local industry. I caught sight of Roger's retirement announcement on a TV webpage this afternoon as it happens, so here I wandered to catch the buzz.

That podcast at the end where Roger kinda bemoaned his own social media account recalled the final year or so of Dave Letterman's tenure on his show. A sea-change was going on in the business and the elder statesman was struggling with the notion of trying to maintain a web presence. The whole trending web thing and the contemporary content aren't keeping my own attention on morning radio so I can scarcely blame Roger either.

I was only able to listen to a brief bit of the current version of the CHUM morning show before the awkwardness turned me off. I'm glad he's got the sense to move on before they push him out in an undignified way like Ingrid. After such a storied career, he deserves to have a classy retirement.

Goodbye, Roger. Thanks for all those years of waking me up to get to work in the 1990s and early 2000s.

October 28, 2018 @ 2:30 PM

Jeff

Wouldn't you say that Dave Marsden would be the last guy from the 60's that you can still hear in Toronto? Or does his subscription service not count? Probably not but just thought I would throw it out there.

October 30, 2018 @ 10:42 PM

dale

Darryl Dalmer 680 news every morning still does his morning traffic reports is probably the oldest tenured person on radio now & sometimes in afternoons as well.

October 30, 2018 @ 11:00 PM

@Jeff

I alway use the qualifier "on terrestrial radio"... so John Donabie fit the bill until he left CIUT and, until Ashby leaves the airwaves, he's the last person standing.

I have all the time in the world for Marsden and consider his episode of my podcast a personal favourite. I highly recommend it! http://www.torontomike.com/2015/01/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_106.html

October 31, 2018 @ 7:55 AM

@dale

Michael Enright started on radio in '74. He might wear the crown when Ashby takes it off.

October 31, 2018 @ 8:00 AM

@dale

Although now that I think about it, Bob Magee is the new morning man at 106.5 ELMNT FM Toronto. You could have heard him on Toronto terrestrial radio in '72.

October 31, 2018 @ 8:03 AM

jAI

As I suspected Roger Ashby is heading to Zoomer Radio AM 740 96.7 FM..in Toronto it is a natural fit.
He will either host the Saturday evening show or they will make way for his Sunday Morning Oldies.
He will be very comfortable playing the music that was and is very much a huge part of his life..
My only hope it will not be voice tracks..but live in studio..Roger Ashby a Canadian radio Legend.

October 31, 2018 @ 1:45 PM

Lorraine

So many familiar announcers mentioned in the comments. I remember walking past the audio booths near City Master Control when I worked at MuchMusic at 99 Queen E. and seeing Roger Ashby recording the Coca-Cola Countdown vo's.

I was very lucky in the late 70's that a friend who knew Daryl Dalmer, invited me to fly with them. Very cool watching him punch up the three odd stations and listening to his traffic reports.

As for Marilyn hosting with her son... Isn't it enough that we have to suffer Murphy Brown living with her son?

November 11, 2018 @ 12:46 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Perhaps a potential case of life imitating art might be in the offing in the very near future?

November 11, 2018 @ 1:40 PM

Marv L Honickman

I will miss Roger Ashby. Radio legend. I still have a tape from an interview with him in 1988...Marlyn Denis pregnant at the time and Russ Mcloud there.

November 12, 2018 @ 6:57 AM