John Scholes Says Goodbye to Q107 After 19 Years

Al Joynes is gone, Andy Frost is leaving, and now John Scholes has left Q107. His last shift was Friday afternoon. He was there for 19 years.

As you'll hear below, John bows out to Queen's The Show Must Go On.

Although John will no longer be on Q107, it sounds like he'll still be doing some work for Corus on GNR640 and Global. Clearly, more changes are coming at Q. Stay tuned...

Rick C in Oakville

All the familiar voices to me are gone now, have to admit only tuned in to Andy Frost's Psychedelic Psundays over the years, and after Mo left the morning show not at all.
Glad he is getting a chance to go to 640.
On another note, I think Stafford may be coaching Supriya as I have found the banter between them quite natural.

May 13, 2018 @ 12:17 PM

dale

3 of the best DJs in Toronto radio are now gone - Al, Andy & now John, too bad not the morning man John as he has worn out his welcome. Q has to change as music selections are terrible as seems they don't know what genre to play. The only DJ left there worth while is Joanne Wilder.
Too bad but it seems they didn't have a long term plan going forward. I'd hate to be student in college wanting to be in radio today as no future.
Good luck to Al, Andy & John.

May 13, 2018 @ 4:12 PM

k

@dale I disagree radio does have a future, it's just going to be different than it is today and than it was before.

May 13, 2018 @ 5:24 PM

kevjo

Andy Frost and Psychedelic Sunday are still on the air, at least for now.

May 13, 2018 @ 9:31 PM

Ray Deeyo

Just flush EVERYBODY out already and start "FRESH" and new.
Go after CHFI. Bite their ass.
CHFI is number one in Toronto. They have no competition. Easy rock had better numbers than Q has today. Time for something "Fresh" (and new)
It's either that, or go softer than CHFI. That might work...

May 14, 2018 @ 1:39 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Personally I wish Q107 would go back to the pure rock/hard rock format that they had in the 90's, but I suspect that they'll probably flip to the Big FM format instead. They wan't to compete with Boom, but Boom has a bigger playlist and over all its a better station.

May 14, 2018 @ 8:16 AM

John Scholes will be on Toronto Mike'd soon.

May 14, 2018 @ 8:21 AM

Cambo

Radio is definitely getting squeezed. I'm not sure why kids are still taking courses in it. The places where they were once groomed are now just satellite syndicates. Automation has pushed them, engineers, producers etc out. Much like the newspapers are dying, radio ad revenue is hard to come by.

Radio is probably also suffering from the 1000 streaming services out there, which drives down ad revenue. It's funny that people will pay to stream the same music they can get on almost any radio station for free. Just without commercials.

CHFI will always have the "office" crowd. That's why their numbers during the workdays are so much bigger.

It's the evolution of radio- no one stays on a station forever. Management decides to shake things up- drive the target age down etc. It's a matter of time before you A: Retire, B; Quit, or 3: Get the pink slip.

May 14, 2018 @ 8:29 AM

Irv

Jason

Both Q107 Calgary and their property in Vancouver do the "Big FM" style thing (different names). It's basically a watered down version of Q107. They may still play Black Sabbath but it will be just 1 song. You also get a lot of that 80's lighter fare added to the mix.

May 14, 2018 @ 9:27 AM

Al The Royal Pain

Listening to this clip with my earbuds and I'm noticing some strange low-end buzzing. Are they modulating his voice to sound deeper?

Anyway, as sad as it is to hear yet another veteran radio voice is losing his job, it is nice to hear he got a chance to say his goodbye. Most don't get that opportunity. That shows that not only was he well-liked by his fans, he was well-respected by his peers and leaders.

May 14, 2018 @ 10:29 AM

Al The Royal Pain

Just listened with better quality headphones and yes, they are doing something to his voice to make it sound deeper...I'm wondering if they do that with all their talent, or just John.

May 14, 2018 @ 10:32 AM

Gord

Well another talent moving on from Q107. Like to know where there going and will we see a big format change coming. Lot's of big talent moving on and who will snap them up?

May 14, 2018 @ 10:51 AM

Anon & On

@Gord, in the current age of 'Half the Wage at Half the Wage' ruling the industry, I'm not holding my breath to see where the current crop of talent getting the axe will land. They'll probably start consulting firms, or will take up teaching.

May 14, 2018 @ 11:15 AM

Anon & On

'Half the Wage at Half the Age'. D'oh!

May 14, 2018 @ 11:16 AM

Irv

@Cambo

I disagree that CHFI will always have the "office" crowd. I think that's more an 80's baby boomer thing. Here in KW I'm out a great deal and I no longer hear CHYM FM in offices or stores. I hear The Beat or Virgin 105.3.

Age and listening patterns are changing. It used to be kids listened to CHR as did young adults. They moved to Hot AC, then AC Standards as they got older. Today that's not happening. BBC Radio 1 re-engineered itself because it's mandated to serve the 16-24 market but it's average audience age was..33.

May 14, 2018 @ 12:33 PM

Andy Burns

I met Scholes when I was a 24 year old intern at Q. I saw in my 25th birthday with him eating burgers...or pizza. I can't quite remember. What I can tell you is Scholes will be fine. Unlike a lot of guys before him, he's made inroads in becoming more than a rock jock. He knew it was always about the music and the fans, whereas many others (IMHO) think they're the stars. He's got a wife and daughter than have kept him humble, honest and hardworking.

Blowing out heritage staff is an easy but ridiculous way to try to fix something that's broken (or so I hear, I haven't listened in forever). But I'm pretty sure that's not the answer.

May 14, 2018 @ 12:47 PM

Cheese

Morning show is tired

May 14, 2018 @ 1:55 PM

H.o.E.

Radio? "Streaming services"? It's 2018. Why would anyone want to listen to music someone else chooses for them? You know most people have been carrying around hundreds of albums in their pocket for quite a few years now, right? (not to mention other portable devices like cassette players long before that)

May 14, 2018 @ 1:56 PM

bsmntdwllr73

#1. He chose the wrong Queen song. Should have went with "Another One Bites the Dust!"

#2. I guess he got to say goodbye on air because he is remaining with Corus. Maureen Holloway
went to the competition and she still got to say goodbye to the listeners. Andy Frost's endless farewell
tour still has a couple of weeks to go, so why wasn't Al Joynes given the same opportunity (Over 25
years of service over two different stints)?

#3, So we are just supposed to take his word with regards to his inside information, that good
things are in store for the station and its listeners? A little hard to hear/swallow at this point!!

May 14, 2018 @ 2:25 PM

Mike

John has a great voice for radio
I've spoken with him during contests and I've also won some cash from him in 2016
I will miss him
Q's music choices are too repetitive
More Sabbath, Tull, Floyd, Cooper, Lizzy
Not always the commercial stuff either
Q had better be hwaded in the right direction
As many of my friends have lost interest in the Once Mighty Q
AL Jones already gone and Andy around the corner
Whos next Derringer, Maybe jenn or Ryan???

May 14, 2018 @ 5:28 PM

Mike

John has a great voice for radio
I will miss him
Q's music choices are too repetitive
More Sabbath, Tull, Floyd, Cooper, Lizzy
Not always the commercial stuff either
Q had better be hwaded in the right direction
As many of my friends have lost interest in the Once Mighty Q
AL Jones already gone and Andy around the corner
Whos next Derringer, Maybe jenn or Ryan???

May 14, 2018 @ 5:28 PM

Jason from Sudbury

@Irv: I was just in KW for 2 weeks visiting family. Dave Rocks is pretty cool. Digging that station more and more.

May 14, 2018 @ 6:55 PM

Bootsy

Sorry to see Scholes go.
He was the only one worth listening to. Derringer needs his entourage to laugh at his jokes. Valentine has added nothing to the show. (She hasn’t half the wit or humour as Holloway)
Joanne Wilder has the worst contests that are more suitable for children (substituting song titles for whatever holiday theme it is) she’s been doing that act for years too. This new guy sounds so pretentious and right out of a poly sci university class.

May 14, 2018 @ 7:51 PM

Daniel Francis

It seems changes are definitely coming to Q107 Toronto. I would like to see Q107 Toronto go back to a classic rock format. As someone mention more Sabbath, Tull, Floyd, Copper, Lizzy and etc. but not always the commercial stuff.

May 14, 2018 @ 8:24 PM

NW

I'm expecting them to go All-April Wine any day now.

May 14, 2018 @ 8:48 PM

John has a scheduling conflict so he's visiting me next week instead. It will all happen here: http://www.torontomike.com/podcast/

May 15, 2018 @ 8:59 AM

Jimy

And yet they hire Jennifer? The entire morning program flow just tanked when she appeared. Whatever you do leave Joanne alone.

May 15, 2018 @ 12:45 PM

Renata Vlaho

Andy Frost, John Scholes, who's left???? Andy Frost is the reason I started listening to Q. Now it's turned to pop music. What a shame. Thank God I have satellite radio!

May 15, 2018 @ 2:18 PM

Janet

I will miss Scholes, he was witty and I liked his perspective on current events. It made listening to one more Led Zeppelin song palatable.

Unfortunately I can't listen to Kolter's voice, as he sounds too much like the youtube guys my kids listen to all the time. sorry dude

I am off to Indie88 for the afternoon show.... something completely different! See you for Psych Sunday, for now....

May 15, 2018 @ 4:40 PM

Cathy B.

Hey John Scholes,
I did not know Friday was your last day as they do not have Q107 on in my workplace ☹️.
You were ALWAYS my favourite DJ on the Q. Loved your movie pic scenarios!
So sad to see you go but that said ...
All the best to you in your new endeavors!!!
Miss you already.

May 16, 2018 @ 3:02 PM

Steve E

Well the emasculation of Q107 is complete.

Have you heard the Pajama Boy they have filling in for Scholes in the afternoon drive slot? That guy wouldn't have lasted for one shift back in the day.

Time to give up on the "Mighty Q" because it sure looks like they have.

May 17, 2018 @ 11:54 AM

Laura

I'll miss John Scholes, I thoroughly enjoyed his show. I agree I will not listen to his replacement, can't stand his voice or sense of humour. Everyone's taste is subjective though, there's likely people who like him. I also agree that Jennifer hasn't added anything to the morning show but I still enjoy listening to Derringer & Ryan.

May 18, 2018 @ 2:01 PM

Robert

Too bad all the good ones are leaving. Need to get rid of Joanne Wilder. Her show is too repetitive.

May 20, 2018 @ 5:15 PM

Jim

Will miss Mr Scholes. Never seemed to shy away from fact. Agree with previous poster on the Joanne Wilder show. You can take her play list from Tuesday and plug it in seven days later. I tune out Q107 from 10 - 2. Good luck Mr Scholes. We will definitely miss your honesty.

May 20, 2018 @ 5:22 PM

chutch

I LOVE the Q. Have been listening since I moved to the city in 1979. (took a bit of a break when Howard Stern was on) I too am sorry to see these guys go. All I hope is Q107 can keep the listeners and keep being a top station.

May 23, 2018 @ 2:24 PM