This is a Blog. This is My Blog.

justiceI started blogging here exactly 7 years ago this week. It was a place to sharpen my writing skills and a chance to test various SEO practices and web development techniques. In the beginning, the number of daily unique visitors was often less than ten, and I knew them all in "the real world".

Seven years and 9525 entries later, I'm still writing for the fun of it. I choose topics based on what's of interest to me, as I sharpen my writing, web development and SEO skills to determine what can be applied on the commercial front. I'm still writing for my brothers, my buddies and myself. The only thing that's significantly changed is the number of visitors this blog gets.

This is a blog. This is my blog. I'm not trying to break news, I'm not trying to be CNN or TMZ or The Toronto Star, I'm just trying to write about stuff I dig, things of interest to me and things I think should be shared.

Earlier today, I wrote about a shake-up with the EZ Rock morning show. Of course I wrote about the dismissal of Rick Hodge and Kim Stockwood. You could have bet the farm on it. After all, I've always loved radio, I wrote about Rick Hodge leaving CHUM-FM, about Humble getting a new gig at EZ Rock and it's the only morning show I've sat in on. It would have stuck out like a sore thumb if I didn't address this developing story.

So I did what I've done 9524 times before. My fingers hit the keyboard and I reported what I knew to be true. Then, because it's my blog, I threw down some personal opinions about it all. And yes, that included a less than flattering story about Rick Hodge. This isn't something I do lightly, I managed to not tell the story for 18 months, but this morning I felt like sharing it. So I did.

Rather quickly, my email filled up with angry emails and comments. It was as if I had attacked the Pope. I came back from lunch, read one negative email after another, and quickly realized it simply wasn't worth it. This is my hobby, I had shared a little story about the subject of the news story I was writing about, and suddenly I was under attack. That prompted me to do something I haven't done in 9525 entries over 7 years. I deleted the story about Rick Hodge.

Rick, if you're reading this, I got your note but you didn't provide an email address for me to write you back. I'm happy to write you if you give me an email address. To everyone else, nothing I wrote this morning was based on anyone's opinion but my own. I just threw down some thoughts about a local DJ based solely on one morning I spent in the EZ Rock studio.

That's what I do here. You're welcome to read it... or not. This is a blog. This is my blog. Nothing more...

jason | getyouroj.com

I missed it but I have no idea why you'd delete it. Just shut the comments on the entry off.

November 27, 2009 @ 5:26 PM

papa_rocker

Mike, eff 'em all!!!!

November 27, 2009 @ 5:30 PM

sinnacle

It is your blog but not all blogs are created equaled.

You have a unique voice in Toronto. It's not everyday "an average Joe" just to use the expression is able to have the likes of Bill Carroll and Rick Hodge contact you. Not to mention who else is reading but don't post in the comments box.

On a wider scale this is a great example of how the lines of new media and traditional media blur. Is it right people consider you a news source? Well to be fair, no. You shouldn't be held accountable to the likes of Damien Cox (for example). If he was on a team plane and a leaf player acted like a fool it wouldn't be reported as it doesn't have a direct impact on his performance on the ice.

You made a simple mistake, people should realize you didn't mean to hurt Rick Hodge and only gave an opinion of a brief moment you two were together.

November 27, 2009 @ 5:39 PM

elvis

You're right, it's your blog but you're wrong for deleting the post. You let them push you around and "they/he" won.

November 27, 2009 @ 5:45 PM

Sammi

I have been gone a little while and my brother Gary tried to fill in (badly from what I have seen). In regards to this entry....Well said Mike!! I have often disagreed with what you wrote, but love that you express your opinions on YOUR BLOG.

Don't give in to any mass pressures.

November 27, 2009 @ 5:48 PM

Elba

I'm sorry you actually had to justify what you did. As you stated, it's your blog, you can write and/or delete what you wish.

November 27, 2009 @ 6:22 PM

Jamie

Mike, I don’t always agree with you and I don’t have nearly the same taste in music (with exception of Pearl Jam and The Foo Fighters). But I do enjoy reading your blog which includes your opinions. I’m disappointed that you chose to delete an entry or part thereof. As it was said before. You let them win. It’s your blog man! I also agree with papa rocker.

November 27, 2009 @ 8:40 PM

Ummana-Umma

Dumbasses: Mike decided not to kick a guy in the balls the day after he gets canned from a shoe.

This ain't censorship, this isn't people pushing Mike around.

It's a freaking act of compassion on Mike's part after a bunch of people pointed things out to Mike.

Free speech, sure, but not being an asshole? Even better.

November 27, 2009 @ 10:21 PM

The_Voice

All I can say was thank goodness for Google Reader, or I'd never have known what was deleted.

November 27, 2009 @ 10:22 PM

A.R.

Don't censor it! We all know how terrible EZ Rock's music is and the employees are merely complicit.

November 28, 2009 @ 1:54 AM

Argie

Mike,

Your liberal ways and your undying love for Toronto gets on my nerves, but you're a stand up, class guy. That's why it was deleted and to hell with anyone who tells you what you should do.

November 28, 2009 @ 1:57 PM

Trish

Bravo, Mike. You rock! You saw what you saw and you wrote about it. There wasn't anything "gossipy" about it. I don't believe your deleted comments will affect Rick Hodges' opportunities for future employment. Those who try to influence you have their own agendas - so let them get their own blogs.

November 28, 2009 @ 6:18 PM

ray ban store

I enjoyed the article and thanks recompense posting such valuable book more wisely of all of us to insert to, I institute it both of secure alternative to and revealing and I graph to up into the responsive arrogance it as commonly as I can.

ray ban 3025

February 3, 2010 @ 7:40 PM

WTC

How about showing Sandra Rinomato some mercy by cleaning up the comments for that post? A few lewd comments that you allowed to stand early have been attacting trolls - and only trolls - ever since. The discussion has degenerated into pure smut that I'd be embarrassed to have associated with, let alone hosted on, my personal blog. I don't know the woman but I'm pretty sure she didn't sign up to be trash talked and degraded like this when she took up her TV hosting job.

January 1, 2011 @ 1:24 PM