Rick Hodge Escapes Roger, Rick and Marilyn

radioI've never listened to Roger, Rick & Marilyn on 104.5 CHUM-FM, but my mom loves that show. That's her morning show. While I was waking up to Humble & Fred on CFNY, she was waking up to Roger, Rick & Marilyn on 104.5 CHUM-FM.

My mom will be upset when I tell her there is no Roger, Rick & Marilyn anymore. Rick Hodge, host of "Sunday Night Funnies", has left CHUM-FM. Roger, Rick and Marilyn have been a morning team here in Toronto for over twenty years and they've been quite successful. If, like me, you've ever asked yourself who the heck is listening to such stuff, it's people like my mom.

James Edgar

"I sense there will be more significant Toronto radio changes in the coming weeks. Stay tuned..."

H&F back on the Air????
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.

Ok I know it's a reach ..

June 24, 2008 @ 12:24 PM

James Edgar

BTW my wife tortures me with Chum FM on her Alarm. Rick Hodge was the only even slightly palatable part of that show.

June 24, 2008 @ 12:25 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

A reach to say the least.

Perhaps Rick doesn't like the new CHUM owners. Who knows.

June 24, 2008 @ 12:29 PM

Toronto Mike

Once I can publicly say the word, I will. For now, we must be patient.

June 24, 2008 @ 1:19 PM

Bree

Hopefully one of the changes involves the good riddance of Mad Dog and Billie of 99.9. I'm not sure I can take another morning of their crap.

June 24, 2008 @ 2:00 PM

Toronto Mike

The state of morning radio in this city is pathetic. We deserve so much better.

I like the music on 102.1, but I hate "the show". I like the discussions on CBC RadioOne, but I miss the tunes. It's time for change. Yes we can!

June 24, 2008 @ 2:02 PM

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

Chum is changing to a "Classic Alternative format" and Humble and Fred along with Alan Cross are jumping to 104.5 to start a first in North American Radio history.
By the way they would also i believe reunite with the lovely Mae Pauts as well if that were the scenario.

June 24, 2008 @ 3:02 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

lmfao! The thing is...

*bites tongue*

June 24, 2008 @ 3:27 PM

elvis

Satellite Radio folks...

June 24, 2008 @ 5:01 PM

Irvine

This doesn't really surprise me & I think it's just the way "big" corporations do things. They acquire something, then send in the destruction experts to dismantle everything, even if it works. Then rebuild it. The rebuilding in radio usually means an inferior product.

Rogers is doing the same thing with CITY TV, dismantling pieces of Toronto history in the hopes of rebuilding something better.

It's a stupid idea, but it's an idea that comes from an industry that is pretty desperate. Radio isn't suffering economically, but it's lost it's "cool" & it's gone to being a sound for many people. Radio is about as cool as Wal Mart & while alot of people will shop there, they'd switch stores if someone sells things cheaper. Not a good corner to paint yourself into.

June 24, 2008 @ 11:58 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

I've never been inside a Wal-Mart but I can tell you to make sure you're never hurt in one unless you want to be bribed with gift cards. I wouldn't be caught dead in one.

Mark is right. When media is bought out, it's gutted, for better or for worse. In the case of CITY TV - it's much worse. It's sort of like how Harper has gutted Canada; wait till he gets that majorty!

June 25, 2008 @ 8:49 AM

Toronto Mike

Hodge wasn't pushed, he jumped.

June 25, 2008 @ 9:11 AM

Toronto Mike

I thought I'd grab this while it's still on the chumfm.com site.

Much of CHUM FM’s success can be attributed to its well-known personalities. In particular, CHUM FM’s morning show Roger Rick & Marilyn dominates radio tuning during the lucrative morning drive period. Roger, Rick & Marilyn, together on-air since 1986, have won numerous awards and are consistently the top rated morning radio program in Canada.
June 28, 2008 @ 4:25 PM

bev

I really like the chat of CHUMFM, RR&M only. The rest of the day i radio surf. The music on this station is really wanting, sometime i think i am listing to 103!!
I will truly miss Rick and the dimention he brought to their show.

July 2, 2008 @ 3:24 PM

Oliver

They said it was his personal choice. It can't have been easy hauling himself down from the top reaches of the 905 just to get the odd word in edge ways. No matter how good the RR&M numbers, the guy had to be hurt at seeing his role diminish to nearly nothing.

Unless the sports talk thing is getting another go in Toronto, I see some kind of syndicated radio thing for him in the fall???

July 2, 2008 @ 6:11 PM

Toronto Mike

It's CFRB for Hodgey... and a sprinkle of EZRock.

July 2, 2008 @ 6:47 PM

Jane

I'm 20 and I listen to RRM everyday, and have done so for the past three years. I'm really sad to see him go and I can't imagine listeners who have been loyal to the morning show for years and years.

July 2, 2008 @ 8:06 PM

Jane

I'm 20 and I listen to RRM everyday, and have done so for the past three years. I'm really sad to see him go and I can't imagine how others listeners feel, those who have been loyal to the morning show for years and years.

July 2, 2008 @ 8:07 PM

Donna

I was shocked to hear that Rick had left the RRM show. I have listened to their show for at least 10 yrs and love their banter. I will miss Rick and wish him all the best in his future endeavours.

July 3, 2008 @ 7:37 AM

TTC

Heard he will be working for a Barrie station starting Sept 1

July 3, 2008 @ 8:16 AM

Lois

It not just people's mom's that listen to RRM - I'm 29 years old and I've been listening to them since the early 90's ! I'm definitely gonna miss Hodgie :(

July 3, 2008 @ 8:41 AM

JudiA

nobody leaves a job at his age, with that many years without a good reason. They kept taking things away from him, sports for example !

July 3, 2008 @ 8:46 AM

Ron

I haven't listened to them for years...Don't turn on anything but my SIRIUS radio now!

July 3, 2008 @ 10:44 AM

Vin

I've been listening to chum fm (esp RR&M and the Sunday funnies) off and on since the 80's. I'm definitely going to miss Rick Hodge - he was one of the last bits of real 'personality' left in what remains of the the whole chum-city corporate dissolution.
Toronto is in danger losing what was once one of the sharpest and cleverest media edges of any city around. Something needs to be done before originality is totally replaced by big business banality.

July 3, 2008 @ 11:25 AM

sandy

who really cares people. does this warrent a discussion?

July 3, 2008 @ 3:27 PM

Sonya

I only started listening to RR&M when Mix got rid of Humble & Fred (I loved those guys!). Chum became my 2nd choice b/c it was the only thing bearable, and Mad Dog & Billie drive me batty. Now I've nixed the radio completely in the mornings and drop in a cd or put on my MP3. Our options are thin now, aren;t they?!

July 4, 2008 @ 7:47 AM

Dave McCormick

I left ChumFm long ago for Sirius and XM Satellite Radio as Toronto Radio sucks

July 5, 2008 @ 12:09 AM

Laura Saputo

Which station is he on now?

July 5, 2008 @ 7:37 PM

Toronto Mike

It's going to be CFRB.

July 5, 2008 @ 7:45 PM

Laura Saputo

What position was he given?

July 5, 2008 @ 9:56 PM

Toronto Mike

I'm not positive - but I believe Leslie Roberts is leaving CFRB which will open up a roster spot.

July 6, 2008 @ 9:28 AM

Gordo

I had the pleasure of being with RR&M in Barbados this year. They were great to be with and all of the staff at CHUM were always first class.

We flew back at 11 at night to a raging snowstorm. There was doubt that we were going to be able to land in TO. Rick said there was no way he'd make it home that night. It was hard for me and I'm only 20 minutes away. I suppose the commute, the traffic, gas prices and just doing it for so long might have taken its toll on him.

It's too bad. The 3 of them were a good mix. It was a real pleasure to watch them live every day for a week.

Good luck to him.

July 8, 2008 @ 12:22 PM

Patty

I also had the pleasure to be with this wonderful trio in Barbados this year, what a treat. Rick, in particular was the guy you saw around different areas of the resort, and he was more than happy to chat with any of us winners. Whatever the reason that he has chosen to leave the station, I wish the best for him and for his family. Thanks so much Rick, you will be missed!!!

July 10, 2008 @ 9:22 PM

CB

If I were Rick Hodge, I'd have gotten fed up with commuting from the Barrie/Tottenham area too.

July 11, 2008 @ 8:32 AM

sammy

Well i think there is a big shakeup there. Taylor Kaye came back after mat leave and then left to go to mix999 i think,sarah is gone. if you look at the email list on chumfm, Lauren who was part of the morning show is gone, rick, and there are a few new dj's there as well. Also i had a feeling Darren was going to move to the morning show and sure enough he was there yesterday.

July 12, 2008 @ 6:01 PM

sammy

I would also just like to say i dont understand why they are getting rid OF a top rated morning, plus they have now moved marilyn out of cityline another top rated show. Why get rid of something that that obviously works

July 12, 2008 @ 6:08 PM

Pete

He's replacing Chuck Swirsky on the fan590

July 14, 2008 @ 11:01 AM

Janet

I am a huge fan of Roger Rick & Marilyn since I moved to GTA 12 years ago. I think the morning show is very funny and they are very real and personable. I will definitely miss Rick Hodge and wish him all the best. I think it's amazing that they've been a winning combination for 21 or 22 years. I have tried to win Breakfast in Barbados but no luck.

The news about Rick comes just as I am trying to recover from the departure of Marilyn from Cityline. I think that she is excellent at radio and TV.

I was wondering what happened to Lauren on the morning show and I haven't heard Sarah Miller and what happened to the Sound Lounge - Corey Kimm and then Chris Biggs?

So many questions. So little time.

July 14, 2008 @ 10:30 PM

Stephanie

Amen H&F back on the air. And a HUGE amen to getting Mad Dog & Billie off the air. I turned the dial the day Humble left 99.9 and those 2 idiots showed up and have never once gone back.

July 19, 2008 @ 1:28 PM

m

Darren B was on the morning show because Roger is on Vacay - Corey Kimm left months ago and maybe Taylor Kaye moved to make room for her family - I cannot agree more with Stephanie about the two idiots on 99.9 - the biggest mistake in the history of radio in Toronto was to have them replace Erin Davis and Bob Magee - no the biggest mistake is playing Christmas Carols - after the American Thanksgiving - as Julia Roberts said in Pretty Woman - "Mistake - Big Mistake" - way to erode play time and erode the audience

July 20, 2008 @ 10:32 PM

Janice

Just read on another website that Darren B is joining the morning show officially next week when Roger is back from holidays. Might be an interesting mix...

July 25, 2008 @ 2:25 PM

Trudy

RR&M just doesn't work without Hodgie. Rick's role wasn't as dominant as M&R, but clearly it was powerful. His funnies, his incredible knowledge, and his insightful discussions...oh ya and his sports commentary. A clear recipe for success where less is more. I'll still tune in for Roger's oldies but it's time to check out the competition especially with Darren babbling at nauseum in the morning. I wonder if the execs have ever heard the phrase 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Figure it out before September folks or you will have lost a large part of your audience forever.

July 26, 2008 @ 1:22 AM

Sheila

I just got back from vacation and was shocked to hear that Rick Hodge is not returning to his usual morning spot. I hope he lands where he is appreciated. Love ya'

July 30, 2008 @ 9:29 AM

Meri

Truly a great loss for CHUM FM...however, I believe it won't be the last...there will definately be alot more changes before the year ends. After all all good things come to an end.

Good luck Hodgie...thanks for all of the years you put in at 104.5. You certainly put a smile on my face each morning.

I'm certain the next chapter in your life will be even better!! ;0)

August 4, 2008 @ 12:50 AM

Deb

Well -- the only thing that had me listen to Chum FM in the am was Hodgie. I disagree with some posts in that I now prefer 99.9 Mad Dog & Billie to Chum FM -- can be stupid but still funny

August 13, 2008 @ 9:43 AM

Robert Nagy

Thak goodness for Sirius Radio. TO radio sucks

August 21, 2008 @ 7:04 PM

Charlene

I think Rick has landed on 97.3FM. On the morning show. I'm sure I heard his voice this morning.

August 25, 2008 @ 9:28 AM

Toronto Mike

Yes, Rick Hodge was officially introduced today as the fourth member of the team.

August 25, 2008 @ 12:36 PM

gov't gal

Here's the news on Taylor Kay & Chriss Biggs:
"Virgin Radio will begin broadcasting at 4:00 p.m. EDT today on Astral
Media's 99.9 FM Toronto frequency and will replace Mix FM. Energetic,
innovative and irreverent will be the trademark of Virgin Radio, as it focuses
on delivering a very 'Virgin' kind of listening experience.
Virgin Radio will focus on the hit adult contemporary format and is
promising to shake up the industry by bringing a new sound that's more than
just music to your ears. Two new shows start today and are just the beginning
of a host of exciting new programming developments. From 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.,
Monday to Friday, Chris Biggs and Taylor Kaye will help you get home by
putting a smile on your dial with their new afternoon drive show "The Rush".
Then from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m., Monday to Friday, Ryan Seacrest will bring you
all the latest from Hollywood with a three-hour program, rich with
entertainment news, celebrity gossip, hit music and light-hearted commentary."

August 25, 2008 @ 1:44 PM

ALICA

THIS IS LIKE A SOAP OPERA YOU
DONT KNOW WHO IS WHERE AND WITH WHO

August 25, 2008 @ 3:25 PM

Peter

I stopped listening the RR&M a few years ago because they are boring and hardly play Canadian music anymore. They just keep playing Britney, Madonna and Mariah. Madonna is played about 20 times a day for God's sakes! If they love to play the divas's music, why not play the biggest Canadian divas of all? Celine! She's not any worse than the other three. Sounds like an American radio show to me... Good for Rick to move on!

August 26, 2008 @ 6:27 PM

TC

I stopped listening to CHUM FM couldn't take the music. I did flip back to catch Rick in his time slots. He was always entertaining and had interesting bits of info.

August 27, 2008 @ 7:09 AM

Steven

Rick Hodge went by the same way as other radio and TV personalities like Peter Silverman and Moses Znaimer.

It's a known fact that CTV and Rogers do not like opinions (other than their own) and have a problem handling controversy. You either tow the line, leave on your own accord, or get shown the door...

With this move, Rick Hodge, like Bill Carroll, will be able to express his OWN opinion and know the station has his back.

Hodgey, Good Luck and Welcome to a new era in your career!

August 29, 2008 @ 2:17 PM

JM

Good luck Rick, you will be missed by many especially by me. I could not stand how much abuse you had to put up with from R&M and let me just say that the show will not be the same without you. All the best in your future!

August 29, 2008 @ 9:00 PM

Mike

yess I agree Toronto radio does suck just listen to web radio .... Cityline replaced M for a cheaper hyper exuberant woman from out east... Classic middle management mistake. Remember new coke... Bonehead move by some VP now selling shoes in desmoines. Broadcast people take their roles way too seriously. They need to justify their 4 figure salary. I work in tv and tv and radio are just background to real life. PEOPLE stop paying for cable get an atsc antenna and tuner and digital FREE over the air looks truly great.

September 1, 2008 @ 9:27 AM

sanjy

Anything is better than Scott Fox, Ashley and Dave.

September 1, 2008 @ 6:53 PM

Heather

I have been listening to RRM since they began in the 80's. I am devasted to hear that Rick isn't there anymore. It won't be the same without him.

Best of luck Rick in your future endeavours. You deserve it!

September 5, 2008 @ 10:28 PM

sl

I am sorry to hear the news about Rick, he was the most funny of the 3 and I too believe, he has under appreciated by the other hosts, especially by Roger who always made rude remarks about Rick, who was the funniest, the smartest and the fastest on his feet! Perhaps its better for Rick at his new station. Dareen B Lamb seems to have taken the abusive spot of Rick, the usually verbose guy can hardly make a peep while Roger keeps on babbling nonsense. I find I no longer feel intrigued by the 104.5 morning show, with all their beet the bank games and all. Good luck rick, you made it rock! Marilyn you still rock, but its not the same chemistry now...sorry...

September 7, 2008 @ 5:25 PM

joe

Rick needed a change , but glad they didn't bring in Mike Bullard

September 18, 2008 @ 6:08 PM

Joe Biden

Why did you even mention Mike Bullard? If one of those marketing types at CHUM read this, they may take that suggestion and flush what's left of the morning show down the toilet...

September 30, 2008 @ 8:23 PM

Vinny

Who really listens to Chum FM anyway, the station is a joke.. they play the same fruity selection of songs day in and out..I have heard the same Beyonce song 5 times in the work day.9-5. that is pathetic. their programming staff still must miss the morning hummer that Rick use to throw them and cant think straight.. I hope that people start realizing that that station is the WORST north american radio has to offer, and if you listen to 104.5, your a LOSER!!!!

October 14, 2008 @ 2:08 PM

Anonymous

Vinny - I believe you will not be one of those people that go far in this world - what makes a person a loser is the attitude you so easily display.

October 31, 2008 @ 3:20 PM

Cindpheptet

I think that results on http://bnetsearch.com/ it is better than on other web search engines. And what you think of it?

December 17, 2008 @ 9:49 AM

Anonymous

Hodgey is on 97.3 Ez Rock's morning show. He does his jokes there & is awesome. The 104.5 show sucks with Darren...he annoys me. I now listen to 98.1's morning show & that too, on and off. RR&M really was the best morning show....ever!

January 19, 2009 @ 12:18 PM

leboograggize

bacteria iron http://drugstore.gd/product/dilantin.html access to quality health care impact health care labor shortages

August 3, 2009 @ 10:49 PM

myles

I think Rick moved to Barbados ..Heather thinks so too.

January 22, 2011 @ 6:55 PM