Roy Halladay Becomes G.O.A.T.

JaysLast September, I called Dave Stieb the greatest starting pitcher in Toronto Blue Jays history. Then, in early June, I wrote the gap was closing. Today, after much deliberation, it's my great privilege to declare Roy Halladay the greatest starting pitcher in Toronto Blue Jays history.

On Sunday, he went the distance in a 3-1 win over the Boston Red Sox. In giving up six early hits, Halladay worked so efficiently he needed only 105 pitches to complete nine innings. He faced 33 batters but delivered just 27 balls, finding trouble only in the first when Dustin Pedroia reached first with a single that dribbled off Halladay's leg, then scored on a Kevin Youkilis double.

He's now 11-3 with a 2.73 ERA this season. He's also the greatest of all time.

Thanks, Roy.

halladay

Other entries about Roy Halladay:

Buffaloboymike

Please don't trade the greatest Blue JAy Pitcher to ever don a Jays uniform

July 20, 2009 @ 10:18 PM

andrew

Dave Steib still # 1, but Roy right behind.

July 20, 2009 @ 11:43 PM

Raph

I hope he is at least here till Friday. I got good tix to see him. :(

My fave Jay of all-time and one of my fave athletes ever. Hands down.

July 21, 2009 @ 12:37 AM

James

If they trade him I am going to barf.

July 21, 2009 @ 1:48 AM

Andrew

By posting this Mike just signed the trade agreement.

He's gone by Friday.

Thanks for nothing Mike!

I will blame you. It is all you.

July 21, 2009 @ 8:33 AM

elvis

Welcome to two years ago.

July 21, 2009 @ 8:38 AM

Hector

Ricciardi has to go. I don't want him handling this situation.

July 21, 2009 @ 9:30 AM

Mississauga Mike

Watched the game in that relatively shaky first inning then turned it off, then his performance solidified, heh.

July 21, 2009 @ 10:49 AM

Ryan

I love Halladay too!! At a BBQ on Saturday I told Mike that he was officially the best pitcher in Jays history. It will be sad when he is inevitably traded in next 7 to 10 days.

However, lets understand something right now.

We don't know Halladay. We know what he wants us to know. I believe that he wants out of TO. I don't blame him for it. We just didn't get it done around him while he was dominating all these years.

In this day in age there are few pitchers that would give us more than 11 years.

I hate the Blue Jays management and i blame them 100%. The same competitiveness that has Roy going the distance is what will lead to him going to a treat for the Series.

But don't fool yourself. Roy wants out. I just hope that what we get back makes it easier to swallow.

July 21, 2009 @ 10:50 AM

Toronto Mike

@Ryan

"But don't fool yourself. Roy wants out."

If I believed this to be the case, it would be a different story. Right now, I'm not convinced this is true. In fact, I feel Halladay just wants to know we've got a plan to compete for a playoff spot next year and the year after. He's looking for a reason to re-up with the Jays.

I don't think he wants to go.

July 21, 2009 @ 10:52 AM

Mississauga Mike

I agree with Mike, his tone in interviews and everything just leads me to believe he'd stay if the Jays were willing to take a shot at the playoffs. Why not trade Wells or Rios to shake up the roster a bit (even though their value is diminishing)?

Oddly I think this whole situation is one I'm caring more about than the Sundin Sweepstakes last year, but if the Jays lose Halladay that'll be a serious blow to my interest in the team. Halladay always had that determined, consistent leadership quality that will seriously be missed in this city. In this case though, if Halladay was dealt I think immediately I'd start rooting for that team to do well, especially in the playofs, he's earned it.

Ugh, this whole situation bothers me as a lifelong Jays fan. :( If the Phillies got Halladay and another World Series title as a result, would that officially overshadow 1993?

July 21, 2009 @ 11:27 AM

elvis

What does 1993 have to do with Halladay exactly?

July 21, 2009 @ 12:37 PM

Wayner

interesting article on today's Fox Sports...perhaps the jays should keep Halladay and get rid of Riccardi...?

July 21, 2009 @ 12:59 PM

Toronto Mike

@Wayner
Sold! That's the answer here.

July 21, 2009 @ 1:13 PM

Megan

I agree with the sign in the background of the photo... and the above post!

July 21, 2009 @ 7:46 PM

Mississauga Mike

Elvis, I meant moreso Philly versus Toronto.

I have that Halladay pic as my Facebook profile picture at the moment, it's so damn true though.

So JP is now saying (according to TSN) that Halladay likely will not be dealt?! Why bother stirring the pot?

July 22, 2009 @ 9:35 AM

Ryan

If JP was looking for strong offers he would publicly give a deadline and say it's not likely.

What did he just do again?

I still say he goes. But yes, I hope its JP as well.

July 22, 2009 @ 6:46 PM

Keith

Level Of Excellence - NOW!

December 9, 2013 @ 11:09 AM