On Roy Halladay

JaysI haven't written much lately about my Toronto Blue Jays. I haven't been sharing vintage Blue Jays songs or memories from the Drive of '85. I've been quiet, because I'm thoroughly disappointed.

You may recall that awesome start the Jays got off to, and now I'm ready to call it. The Jays won't be playing meaningful baseball in September, for the 15th year in a row. I feel teased.

One thing we still have going for us is the presence of Roy Halladay, the best pitcher in the game.

Halladay isn't just the best pitcher in the game, he's a throwback to a time when starters demanded the ball in the ninth inning. He never complains, he just goes about his business. When he's on the mound, you know there's a chance for a 2 hour game. He's efficient, he's effective and he's ours.

At least he's ours for now. J.P. Ricciardi said he's listening to offers for Halladay, and the thought of trading Halladay turns my stomach. He's a once in a generation pitcher and we've got him. J.P. Ricciardi ought to be doing everything possible to lock him up, not trade him away. If Halladay goes...

Speaking of Halladay, something we should do more often, he'll be starting his first All-Star game this week. He's only the third Jay to have that honour bestowed upon him, joining Dave Stieb and David Wells. It's about time.

More on Roy Halladay:

CQ

Trading Herschel Walker worked out well for football's Dallas Cowboys.
And trading fan favourites Fred McGriff and Tony Fernandez worked for the Blue Jays just before their World Series seasons.

July 13, 2009 @ 2:16 PM

Toronto Mike

As great as Fred and Tony were, they weren't Roy Halladay. This would be like trading away Doug Gilmour after the '93 season.

July 13, 2009 @ 2:23 PM

elvis

Did you ever say Stieb was the best pitcher in baseball like you did in this post?

Yet another point for me in the Stieb vs Halladay debate.

July 13, 2009 @ 3:05 PM

Toronto Mike

Elvis, the Stieb vs. Halladay race to be the greatest pitcher in Blue Jays history is awfully close. In fact, it might be all tied up right now.

And yes, there was a time when Stieb was the best pitcher in the majors. He also started the all-star game two years in a row.

July 13, 2009 @ 3:16 PM

elvis

Dude, you're high.

July 13, 2009 @ 4:00 PM

Steve

If the plan is to trade Roy, what do you look for in return? the pitching situation for the Jays sucks right now to be honest even though they're doing amazingly well all things considered. He's the best pitcher in the game, so there's no move that wouldn't be a sideways one at best. As for other areas, the Jays are stacked with guys who can hit and field and I'm not sure where you go in terms of moving up there either, though admittedly it would be easier to replace a hitter than it would be to replace Doc. the Jays are a great team and really I'd rather see no moves made than see what has the makings of an awesome ball team blown up. They have a team that can do it all...all besides win apparently. they could do that before, so something is wrong, but I'm not sure it's something trading one of your best guys will fix. Hopefully Cito can pull another miracle out of his ass and figure it out before we're not watching playoff games for another year.

July 13, 2009 @ 4:06 PM

CQ

"like trading away Doug Gilmour after the '93 season"
Or, Trading Gretzky in '88. The Oilers still won it all again in 1990.

Coldly: A person is either part of the solution or part of the problem. Seven and two halves major league seasons without at least challenging for one wildcard berth doesn't spell solution.

July 13, 2009 @ 4:42 PM

James

I know what you mean, Mike.

I'm a huge Jays fan, and the last month or so has been beyond depressing. They basically fall out of contention by losing a load of heartbreaking, winnable games to teams like the Yankees and Rays, then talk about how Halladay might go.

What I want to know is..what is Rogers plan for this team? Are they going for it next year (as we had been told) or are we facing another rebuilding thing?

Throw the fans a bone here, Rogers.

July 13, 2009 @ 4:47 PM

Toronto Mike

@James
If we're going for it, doesn't it make sense to have the best starter in baseball in the fold? Why am I reading from Halladay that he feels it's 50/50 whether he gets traded.

There is no fair trade value for this guy. We need more Halladay's, not less. If we're going for it next year, he's my ace.

July 13, 2009 @ 5:04 PM

Toronto Mike

@CQ There's no way Halladay can be faulted one iota for our lack of playoff contention this past decade.

All that SOB does is pitch his ass off and win. The finger can be pointed at everyone else, but not Roy.

July 13, 2009 @ 5:06 PM

James

That's my thinking too, Toronto Mike.

That's why you have to wonder Jays management is planning. If you trade Halladay, it doesn't sound like you think you have much of a shot next season.

July 13, 2009 @ 7:11 PM

James

As if it wouldn't hurt enough to have Roy traded away, look at the comments he made to the media today. Seems like a guy who genuinely loves playing in Toronto.

July 13, 2009 @ 7:19 PM

Toronto Mike

I won't watch a minute, I won't promote to the team to my kids and I won't promote Blue Jays baseball here.

That's how much this player means to me.

July 13, 2009 @ 7:24 PM

James

If Roy gets traded, I'd like Rogers to explain to the fans why they didn't make an effort to sign this guy to an extension. Because from everything he's said publicly, it seems clear that he'd love to stay - just as long as he could be convinced that the team is going to make a real run at being a post season team in the near future.

The fanbase is already disheartened from 15 years of no playoffs. Now, you're going to trade off the face of the franchise?? A model athlete who loves the city??

Paul Beeston is supposed to be on Prime Time Sports later this week, maybe he can explain what the hell the thinking is with all this.

July 13, 2009 @ 7:41 PM

CQ

"will not see another..."
Sez the guy with a Leafs 80-day Countdown Clock ;)

July 13, 2009 @ 7:48 PM

Toronto Mike

Someone should send Beeston this link.

I've been super loyal to this franchise for over 25 years.

I've written over 250 entries about this club over the past 7 years, and you can see them all at http://www.torontomike.com/toronto_blue_jays/ .

If I'm ready to bail, a guy who came right back after the strike of '94, then imagine what others will do.

Rogers, Beesten et al, trading Halladay instead of trying to extend his contract will be a pr disaster. If you think things are bad now after your disastrous road trip, you don't want to see the reaction to a Halladay trade.

It will be a single line entry that Halladay has been traded and then an extended period of silence, a marketers worst nightmare.

July 13, 2009 @ 7:50 PM

Toronto Mike

@CQ
I love my home teams and I'm very forgiving, and I am rarin' to go with the Leafs season, but this is different.

The Leafs, bless their hearts, haven't had the best anything playing for them in my lifetime. Halladay is the best, and a class act who'd like to stay. Let's make him our Joe Sakic.

July 13, 2009 @ 7:53 PM

Ryan

I love Halladay as much as you do. But if they don't listen to offers it would be a mistake with the direction the Jays must take.

Florida got Hanley Ramirez for Beckett in the deal to Boston and Anibal Sanchez who is a very nice and steadily improving pitching piece.

With a sport where the rich can pay assinine amounts of money for a guy who may bring them to the top, we have to see what is out there, and pull the trigger on a deal that gives us 3 potential thugs.

I'd miss the shit out of Halladay but if he get's dealt I will remind myself that I accept that this is a business, i just want our Business run properly!!!!

July 13, 2009 @ 8:37 PM

elvis

I believe JP said that Roy came to them and said he would like them to explore any trades and if they made sense, he would consider waiving his no-trade.

I think the Jays went public with that because if they do trade the MAN, then they would be doing what the player wanted, thereby removing some of the heat.

I honestly think JP is just doing is job by seeing what offers are out there. I don't believe he is going to be traded.

He had to have known the fans would react this way - he's the best pitcher in baseball and Blue Jays history - we have to win some major balls games next year for him to re-sign.

Anyone who thought the beginning of the season was a sign of things to come for the rest of the season was smokin' the same joint as Mike.

Miracle Man Cito said 2010 was there last winter!

July 13, 2009 @ 8:39 PM

Ryan

You guys are rediculous. Mike, your my brother but after reading this again I have to repost.

"If J.P. trades Roy, you will not see another entry on this site about the Jays for the rest of the season.

That's how much this player means to me."

So essentially what you are asking is that we hold on to one of the most marketable guys to play the game because the fans love him? I for one believe we need to give up on guys like Rios and move on. If we can get really good "sure thing" prospects and round our team out, I for one will continue to watch games.

And I'll root for the Jays.

And I'll miss your Blue Jay Blogs.

You want a guy to remain on one team for his entire career or you are not supporting the Jays?? Do you know how rare that is?

I hope we keep him but if we lose him I am pulling my nephew aside to talk Jays, cause he won't be getting it from his pops!!!!!

July 13, 2009 @ 8:42 PM

Ryan

Or Maybe I just don't want Halladay to help the Jays beat the Rays in the standings.

$50 bucks!!!

I'm that poor!!!

July 13, 2009 @ 8:44 PM

Toronto Mike

If Roy wants to leave us as a free agent, something Delgado did, that's a different story. As it stands, Halladay says he'd like to stay in Toronto.

It might help your fantasy team to get a few prospects for a marketable ace, but I want the ace, thank you very much. I know the ace and I like the ace. I'd like to keep the ace.

July 13, 2009 @ 11:40 PM

Andrew

I agree it would be like the Lakers trading Kobe. It is hard to imagine a team trading their key player.

The difference here is that the Jay don't have any real prospects of winning anything in the near future. Have 20 more wins in the season won't change the fact that they'll still be third or fourth in a tough division.

If they can get two young players that are future stars, it may be worth it.

I would have to see Hallady go but he doesn't have the team to support him. Roy probably wants a ring. Toronto's name won't be on it.

July 14, 2009 @ 3:34 PM

andrew

1 person a TEAM doesn't make.
It's a team game. Roy has be great through his years here. The problem is J.P. hasn't done anything the last years to support him with others. He's picked up average players for a lot of $ & not worth it.
I agree Roy - there comes a time when you can't see any improvement the next year or so, as earlier PROMISED, it's time to move on.
Don't blame Roy - it's J.P.

Steib vs. Halladay - it's a toss up but support to Steib in slimest of margins. He also played when the team was terrible behind him.
Good luck Roy - you will be traded before trading deadline.

July 14, 2009 @ 6:24 PM

Ryan

Yes, Elvis I am not sure why you think he won't get dealt. If he tails off next year we may lose major value in his stock.

I don't see it happening but can we agree that even if he does go we got his best years?

The man is a fierce competitor. Those guys need to satisfy their life long hunger with a title.

I hear a lot about St. Louis from my sources. They have a few minor leaguers that I would die to have.

I am now certain of one thing. Halladay will not be in the All Star game next year as a JAY!!

If we don't get massive value i will try to dislike JP even more, but I don't think it is possible.

July 14, 2009 @ 7:47 PM

James

Hey Mike, check out the interview Paul Beeston did on The Fan today:

Call me crazy, but after listening to that I get the impression that trading Roy is not something the Jays want to do. It doesn't even seem to be a money issue! I get the impression that Roy has quietly said he's unlikely to resign regardless of the money, and now the Jays are scrambling and talking trade because they know he's more valuable now than in the offseason or next year. Give it a listen.

I could definitely handle the Jays trading Halladay because he's said he's going to leave A LOT more than I could if it was Rogers deciding to cut costs or something.

July 16, 2009 @ 6:52 PM