Toronto Radio Ratings

Numeris has shared the Fall 2018 PPM Ratings for radio, but not with me. Sure, they share the overall A12+ with everyone, but that's pretty useless because radio stations target specific demographics and are judged by their success (or failure) in that demo.

Slightly more useful are the numbers below shared by David Bray, President, Bray & Partners Communications. I found them via Broadcast Dialogue. Here are the results for Toronto based on detail Numeris collected August 27 through November 25. The numbers are "% Share of Hours Tuned".

Station A12+PPM

Jazz FM 91 1.8 2.1 1.0 1.8 .6 .6
Jewel 88.5 2.0 1.4 .5 .5 .5 .9
Virgin Radio 99.9 5.2 6.3 7.2 9.3 6.6 8.4
KISS 92.5 3.1 3.0 4.9 4.8 3.7 2.9
G98.7 1.2 1.2 1.5 1.5 .4 .3
Indie 88.1 1.6 1.2 2.7 1.8 3.7 2.4

Again, radio stations target specific demos and base their ad rates on how they fare with that demo. Still, we can make several reasonable assertions.

• 98.1 CHFI-FM appears to be the leader amongst women. 15.3 is a massive number.
  • Boom 97.3 appears to be the leader amongst men. Funnily enough, CHFI is #2. Methinks they're having a ratings party at both Boom and CHFI this Friday.
  • CBC Radio One is the most listened to station overall. I know that's true in my home. Not that this means CBC Radio One can increase their ad rates, because there are no ads on CBC Radio One.
  • That gap between 102.1 The Edge and Indie88 is now razor thin. In fact, Indie88 beat 102.1 amongst men 25-54. I don't remember The Edge ever getting under a 2 share overall. Jewel 88.5 did better than that.
  • Sports radio fans won't be surprised to see 590 soundly beating 1050. In M25-54, it's 590 3.7, 1050 1.4.
  • Notable dips: 1010 slipped with both men and women 25-54 and seems to have been caught by 640, Q107 continues its slide, VIrgin 99.9 suffered significant losses (which may help explain changes there), 680 News is down, and as mentioned, The Edge continues to lose listeners.
  • Notable bumps: KISS 92.5 had a nice bump with the fellas, CBC Radio One, Boom, CHFI, and Indie, as mentioned, and Z103 had a nice book as well.

Wally Crouter

The Jewel 0.5

December 6, 2018 @ 8:40 AM

Beatts

I don't enjoy the move 93.5 now since they bailed on the throwback dance music

December 6, 2018 @ 9:22 AM

Beatts

Also, always nice to see Maureen Holloway soundly stomping on John Derringer's ratings consistently

December 6, 2018 @ 9:24 AM

Sully

How is such a precipitous drop for Newstalk1010 possible, yet the gutted 640 remains unchanged? Weird, if true.

December 6, 2018 @ 10:34 AM

Lorne

I suspect CHFI's ratings are affected by the fact that they are one of the "safe go-to" radio stations to play in offices, stores, etc. The front desk is ALWAYS playing it.

I also suspect CHFI's entire profits come from the ad rates for this month, when they are the only "all xmas music" game in town. They can go to their advertisers and say "Hey my dudes. We get played everywhere. EVERYWHERE. All day long. In every store and every mall-- which your target demo is actively shopping. E.V.E.R.Y.W.H.E.R.E.! Ads are 100x our normal rate, and are going fast."

December 6, 2018 @ 11:12 AM

Rob J

In Boston, the 2 all-sports stations, The Hub and WEEI, consistently rank at the top of the male 25-54 demo. In Toronto they’re 9th and 17th despite the full force of the 2 national sports networks behind them and their ‘business relationship’ with essentially all the local teams. I wonder how an independent station would be faring had it started a decade ago when the Toronto teams were in the doldrums. Trust me, I know how fans react when you point out the homerism and cheerleading, but obviously something is fundamentally wrong with the current slate of options.

December 6, 2018 @ 11:48 AM

@Rob J

Do you think podcasts are taking a bite out of the sports radio ratings?

December 6, 2018 @ 12:36 PM

@Lorne

Without a doubt. With PPMs, it picks up the station you're near, so if CHFI can get in the dentist offices, etc., those PPM-wearing peeps will register as a listener, even if they're distracted by the magazine they're reading or the email they're replying to on their smartphone.

December 6, 2018 @ 12:38 PM

Lorne Katz

the day that Bob McGowan retires from The Fan is going to be a very sad day for that station. I wonder what their succession plan is?

December 6, 2018 @ 1:16 PM

Leila

Do you have morning numbers? Who did well? Where can we get these?

December 6, 2018 @ 1:25 PM

@Lorne Katz

Possibly Jeff Blair?

December 6, 2018 @ 1:29 PM

Not on a Morning Show

- firing the Virgin morning show was a huge mistake
- the little indie station beat the big one
- young women like chocolate, beards and news talk radio

The real winner was CIND who outperformed themselves.

December 6, 2018 @ 3:05 PM

Chuck 99

2019 will be an important year for 102.1 The Edge. It is now running neck and neck with Indie88 in the ratings. If the ratings fail to improve after all the changes with the announcing staff, I still believe you could still see a format change or, at the very least, a tweak. The demo of both stations skews young and I am still not sure whether there are enough terrestrial radio listeners in that age bracket for both stations to fish from the same pool.

December 6, 2018 @ 3:26 PM

@Chuck 99

I'm sure the pool of terrestrial radio listeners in that age bracket are few and the pool of terrestrial radio listeners in that age bracket wearing PPM devices are fewer.

December 6, 2018 @ 3:28 PM

Rob J

@TM

Absolutely. Just read today that there are 3 (albeit US-based) sports podcasts in the top 20 most popular downloads overall, so the fox is already in the radio henhouse. I'm the classic example; it's amazing to me that after 20ish years of listening to the FAN exclusively (even though I've always been a fan of out-of-market teams), I just stopped cold-turkey, fell in love with the medium of podcasts, and never looked back. The 15 minutes of homicide-inducing commercials and ludicrous callers are not missed. And unless you're a relative or stalker of Wilner, Davidi, or Zwelling, there's literally no reason to hear them several times a day on each show with the same mundane, team-favourable talking-points.

Like, if you end up doing something with Dave Hodge, there's no doubt that will be far more listenable and educational for the fans than 3 hours with (insert vanilla host here)on radio.

December 6, 2018 @ 3:47 PM

Willy

No surprise that Boom is capturing so many ears, the music is hitting that nostalgia sweet-spot for the upper end of the 25-54 demo. Also, Stu Jeffries does a solid, listenable show, day in & day out.

December 6, 2018 @ 5:58 PM

Justin

I seriously question the ability for FM music radio to stay profitable in a decade's time. I have no inside knowledgeable here, but I'd have to guess they'e not as profitable as they once were, and I think you'll see it go the way of the newspaper industry eventually. I'm in my 20s. Nobody in my generation listens to FM music radio, not even in the car. I can't think of a single person who cares about it. Listening has shifted almost completely to Spotify/Apple Music/podcasts.

H+F are bang on when they say the future of radio is the type of show they do - personality-driven compelling and entertaining talk you can't get anywhere else. It's the only reason I still listen to sports radio every day. It's also why podcasts have become so popular. FM music radio? Slowly becoming an obsolete medium...

December 6, 2018 @ 6:18 PM

Hootie

I’d be curious if you were able to further breakdown the 25-54 demographic would the fan590 and tsn1050 be closer in the 25-35 range. Speaking as a person who only catches the 1050 overdrive show via podcast, 8 minute commercials breaks are so passé.

December 6, 2018 @ 6:57 PM

W

When is the next ratings list? Sauga 960 is the new kid on the block. This is a free-flowing, free thinking station where there are no constraints . What radio should be like. The "MAN" not telling u what to say or think.

Short commercials too!

December 6, 2018 @ 8:28 PM

Chuck 99

@Rob J

I no longer listen to 590 either. I do podcast some of their shows to eliminate the commercial and sports breaks. The sound quality is much better, too.

@Justin

Freddie P. of H+F said on a previous Toronto Mike podcast that he believes that the future for FM radio is talk.

December 7, 2018 @ 12:04 AM

Doug

Do they ever include stations outside of Toronto? It would be interesting to know the numbers for 97.7 out of St. Catherines and 94.9 out of Oshawa. Both have strong signals in Toronto.

December 7, 2018 @ 6:33 AM

Roger

94.9 is a monster. No coincidence that as 94.9 do better that Q-1-0-Zeppelin and Edge drop out of sight. The morning show on 94.9 is the best, hilarious.

December 7, 2018 @ 7:39 AM

Stephen

I try to keep Q107 going as a very long time listener but they've killed it by dumping real talent for hacks. I'm sure Jennifer is a nice person but she adds zero to the morning (which has really become a stale morning show anyway - Stu Jeffries is a much better listen). As far as the drive home, it's only for the music, it's changed whenever Fred starts talking. I need to stay awake until I get home. Forget about getting any of my time during the weekend. It is sad to see a once great station crumble so quickly.

December 7, 2018 @ 8:48 AM

Jai

Not suprised by Newstalk 1010..drop.. not enough callers on the air..there is always a commercial break then a traffic report followed by ever so often breaking news break. Breaking news meant something drastic just took place not Justin Trudeau just farted. Tuned out Evan Soloman and his CBC
VIEWS...GOT tired of Jim in 12-2 slot...Be interested in the 9-noon and 4-7p.m numbers. Numbers for
Oakley as well on 640.

December 7, 2018 @ 11:49 PM

Girl with a problem

Why doesn't the Edge just go older alternative. No one is playing all that good alternative from 1989 on to the 2000s. Stone Roses, Charlatans, and 100s more. Boom doesn't cut it for alt music.

December 7, 2018 @ 11:54 PM

dale

680 news is my choice of life now. News, Weather & Traffic as that's all I need.
For Music, I have my own faves & update.

December 8, 2018 @ 12:41 AM

Jillian

Completely agree with the comments above for Newstalk 1010. Too many breaks, hosts are constantly cutting callers and interviews short to go to a break. Why can't they have a continuous 15/20 minute interview? And why does Jim Richards YELL so much?

December 8, 2018 @ 7:41 AM

markosaar

@Girl with a problem,

Pretty much the only thing that would get me listening again. Spirit of Radio Sunday with Scot Turner was the only thing that got me listening to the radio again after a 15 year break ... and 102.1 cancelled it because they wanted a younger demographic.

Oh well ... at least Spotify knows me:

December 8, 2018 @ 3:41 PM

Morning Radio Guy

@roger if Edge flips formats it's going to flip to Country.... Country killed it in other books throughout Ontario and Canada and Toronto is the biggest market without a country music station.

December 8, 2018 @ 4:41 PM

BobFromBurlington

Wonder how the 6-9/6-10 am sports stations will fare when Mike Richards show up at Sauga960 in early 2019? I suspect one of the two will make a change in that time slot 6-9
months after Richards and company show up debuting with an established format on a small platform station. Maybe like baseball- listening to sports stations perhaps a dying business. We shall see!

December 8, 2018 @ 11:42 PM

Rob J

Imagine calling a business with over $10 000 000 000 (that's ten billion) in worldwide revenue last year, marking 15 straight years of record earnings, 'dying'.

December 9, 2018 @ 12:03 AM

H.o.E.

@Justin + dale
I'm old enough to be the parent of someone in their 20's, and as I've said here before, I don't understand why anyone today listens to music radio. Who wants to listen to music someone else chooses for them, accompanied by commercials even more repetitive than their limited playlists? I might listen to a short newscast once or twice a day, but now otherwise ignore live AM/FM radio.
@BobFromBurlington
I might listen sometimes briefly to Mike Richards when he starts in January, but somehow I doubt that station will ever have more than a small handful of listeners.

December 9, 2018 @ 9:53 AM

The frequency strength of 960 alone will prevent it from making a dent in 590 or 1050's ratings. I doubt there will be any ripple effect.

December 9, 2018 @ 10:00 AM

JP

My listening habits tend to be Blair and McCown on The Fan (usually via podcast though), CBC Radio 1, and Boom (great sweet spot, music wise). Other than that, for me it's all podcasts.

10/15 years ago I listened to the Edge religiously, but it's lost me completely. The Edge and Q lost all personality and sound totally corporate these days - I think that's part of why people have turned to podcasts now. Podcasts tend to sound authentic and not dreamed up in a corporate focus group.

Crazy to see how far 1010 has fallen. Used to be a real powerhouse.

December 10, 2018 @ 12:20 AM

bdot

I cannot stand the sound of pre-taped shows pretending to be live, It all started at the edge with the dude from Edmonton Fearless fred.
For me Radio shows should be live.

December 10, 2018 @ 1:59 PM

Chuck 99

The idea of 102.1 The Edge becoming a classic alternative station has been mentioned on other discussion boards. The idea has merit and would definitely qualify as a tweak to their format.

I doubt Sauga 960 will ever draw more than 0.1 or 0.2 share because of its weak signal. The Mike Richards show might get a few Etobicoke/Mississauga area listeners to switch from TSN 1050 or The Fan 590, but there are too many areas around Toronto where the reception is poor to non-existent, especially before sunrise.

For all the criticism of the TSN 1050 signal, it is a powerhouse compared to Sauga 960.

December 12, 2018 @ 1:47 AM