Kevin Frankish is Leaving Breakfast Television

Kevin Frankish, longtime co-host of City TV's Breakfast Television, announced this morning that Friday will be his last day on the program. Here's his announcement...

Kevin hasn't yet disclosed why he's leaving a job he so clearly loves, nor whether it was his choice. Kevin's career at City TV started in 1991 and he visited me last year to talk about that and so much more. I urge you to listen to this episode of Toronto Mike'd with Kevin Frankish, one of my all-time favourite guests.

Coincidentally, longtime CP24 Breakfast host Steve Anthony left the competition only two months ago. I will keep this entry updated with all the information I learn about this seemingly sudden departure of a Toronto morning television fixture.

And Kevin, I think it's time to schedule your second visit...

Kevin Frankish and Me

Cambo

This has the hallmark's of "Quit or be fired".

Seems to be done in quiet on a quick Twitter video, and rather sudden being only 4 days away. If he was actually retiring, he'd say so and give a lead-up of a couple of weeks.

Something stinks, and I suspect he won't be the only one. The media personality slaughter continues...

May 29, 2018 @ 8:11 AM

FACTS

Frankish was fired for being old and expensive. Same with Frost. If you want to survive stay young and cheap (or at least cheap)

May 29, 2018 @ 8:14 AM

David

Based on what I’ve been seeing from Rogers the past few years, my guess is it was not Kevin’s choice. He’s no longer the best fit on BT and we all know how Rogers likes to toy with personel. I’m hoping Melanie Ng becomes the permanent news anchor but I’m thinking they’ll get a male to compliment Dina. We’ll see.

May 29, 2018 @ 8:19 AM

Cambo

@FACTS

One is impossible, the other is ridiculous.

Veterans deserved to be compensated better than out-of-school rookies. If you want minimum-wage on-air personalities, you get what you pay for. But it's a super-shitty thing to do.

Frost drew HUGE numbers on Sunday afternoons. HUGE.

This is another case of consultants destroying media. Look what happened to the "Edge". No edge there anymore and they're taking a dive.

May 29, 2018 @ 8:20 AM

Anonymous

I wonder if he was given the same "constructive dismissal" offer that Mike speculated Jennifer Valityne was given or if he's been given a slightly better Gord Martineau deal.

May 29, 2018 @ 8:21 AM

Chicken Wings Expert

Mike, you are "the go-to guy" with breaking media stories! Please let us know if he was pushed out!

TV/Radio seems like such a tough gig.

May 29, 2018 @ 8:24 AM

David

We all remember Hockey Night in Canada (The Strombo Experiment). We’ll see if this one blows up In Rogers’ face too.

May 29, 2018 @ 8:24 AM

David

When Jen Valentine got the boot, Kevin said, “There are many more changes coming, folks.” How prophetic.

My hope is that the news will now be reported as just that, news, and not the slanted shopping that’s been going on the past few years.

May 29, 2018 @ 8:29 AM

@Chicken Wings Expert

Allow me to leave this short audio clip of Christine Bentley on my podcast for no particular reason.

May 29, 2018 @ 8:59 AM

Beatts

Stopped watching the show years ago when they gave "Frankie Flowers" more air time. It became a caricature of itself.

I hate however seeing someone lose their job, Kevin seems like a decent guy.

May 29, 2018 @ 9:10 AM

Trudles

I love BT but it's because of Kevin Frankish and Dina. And still missing Jen Valentyne.
Careful BT, you are losing viewers.

May 29, 2018 @ 9:24 AM

Al The Royal Pain

Kevin's episode on Toronto Mike'd was one of my favourites. He was surprisingly open and candid. Unlike other still-employed guests with something to lose, Kevin spoke like someone who had nothing to lose. I wonder if he saw the writing on the wall for awhile now.

May 29, 2018 @ 9:27 AM

Mark

Kevin got fired because he is white and a man. I have seen over the years that the Toronto breakfast news has become ever more diverse of every kind of person. What happened to best person for the job, which clearly Kevin is. instead of the usual make jobs to represent difference's in cultures.

May 29, 2018 @ 9:45 AM

Beatts

Backs slowly away from thread...

May 29, 2018 @ 10:52 AM

EllieS

It's about time. He may be a nice guy but he got way to opinionated and at times overbearing. If only they'd get rid of Dina and revamp the entire show. Stopped watching a year or so ago because it was all about Kevin's opinion and Dina's idiotic comments. Sorry but...

May 29, 2018 @ 12:28 PM

Doug

Kevin didn't get fired for being "white" and a "man" - he got fired because BT ratings are way down, and CP24 is eating their lunch (or breakfast...). Time to save some $$ and freshen up the show.

May 29, 2018 @ 12:30 PM

Jacinta

How fitting. What goes around comes around! Kevin was responsible for the departure of so many great City TV personalities. Brad Smith, Jennifer Valentyne ....
I stopped watching City TV 2 years ago, when Kevin started taking over so may segments for himself. Finally - City TV stood up to this bully. It can only get better.

May 29, 2018 @ 3:08 PM

John

I never thought i would see the day!! On air Kevin seemed fine. Behind the scenes he was a tyrant with no morality, loyalty or sense of fairness.
Congrats to who ever at City TV made this decision. It should have happened years ago.

May 29, 2018 @ 3:12 PM

Spence

I totally agree with Cambo and Mark.

May 29, 2018 @ 3:41 PM

Mark

Lets see shall we. I bet you 1000 dollars he gets replaced by a black man.

May 29, 2018 @ 3:50 PM

jj

LOL no one is getting fired because they are white men. they just are making the most as white men with privilege, so sometimes they are the first to go. BT will be fine without him, Q107 without Andy is a way worse decision (based on the feedback via TM posts)

May 29, 2018 @ 3:51 PM

Barry

It certainly doesn't sound voluntary -- I think "voluntary" would have been retirement. But he's being re-assigned within CityTV. I don't think a morning-show host volunteers for odd-job assignments.

My guess is that it's in part because he makes a veteran's salary, and in part because they want their morning crew to skew "young," and Frankish skews older. CTV did the same thing when they cancelled Canada AM so they could replace the hosts with a younger set and younger focus. And Frankish's reassignment sounds similar to Bev Thompson's re-assignment. I'm not sure if she's even been on air since Canada AM went off the air. Different owners, of course -- CTV is Bell. But are Bell and Rogers all that dissimilar in how they do things?

May 29, 2018 @ 4:31 PM

Anonymous

stopped watching the show when they got rid of Jennifer Valentyne....she was a natural.

May 29, 2018 @ 5:52 PM

May 29, 2018 @ 5:52 PM

Nonanonymous

@anonymous
She sure was....a natural twit.

May 29, 2018 @ 6:06 PM

Aidan

@ Barry

Last time I checked, Bev Thomson anchors CTV News Channel at noon on weekdays and occasionally anchors CTV National News.

The fact that he's only given 3 days notice shows it likely wasn't his choice. Peter Mansbridge spent a year saying goodbye, Dave Devall spent 2 months, Steve Anthony also spent a month saying goodbye. Its quite possible that Kevin will now have a reduction in salary but at least he'll still be employed. I doubt he'd get a similar job. I'm sure financially he's in good shape but was still counting on having an income for the next several years.

May 29, 2018 @ 7:04 PM

adriana

I really liked Kevin he is very good and professional I hope I gets a really good job in Television I will miss him a lot in the morning

May 29, 2018 @ 7:15 PM

Urooj Islam

3 days notice? Classless.

Although, I have to say, the Kevin Frankish episode of Toronto Mike'd is easily my favourite and maybe this will give him more time to go on the podcast again.

May 29, 2018 @ 8:12 PM

Me

My first thought was that it is health related. His wife was there for support and they are giving him the chance to “explain” his departure on Friday. Perhaps I’m wrong ‘cause CityTv is great at getting rid of people, but we’ll see. I’d rather it be for ratings than failing health!

May 29, 2018 @ 10:11 PM

Cambo
Frost was HUGE 25 years ago. #’s for the past 10 years place him much further down the list. boom and CHFI rule Toronto weekends now and have for several years. The days of the ‘Authoritative’ music curator are long gone; the (few) people that want that kind of delivery now listen to podcasts or satellite, and going forward, in-car wifi.

May 29, 2018 @ 11:25 PM

Brandon

Interesting. Hadn't seen this coming, but as David quotes above from the Frankish podcast episode, "There are many more changes coming, folks." And not sure if it's telling that Frankish changed his bio-line on his Twitter account to "A 54 year old man about to re-invent himself." - anyone can choose to re-invent themselves at any time career-wise, but it could also read like something one might say if that re-invention is imposed upon you rather than fully your choice.

I wonder if BT's Winston Sih will get that co-hosting slot aside Dina?

May 30, 2018 @ 7:08 AM

margarette

I wish Kevin and his family all the best in the future. I hope they gave him a really good incentive package. It is so tough losing your long time job with all the perks at an older age. Breakfast Television needs a revamp - getting too stale and boring.

May 30, 2018 @ 7:59 AM

Barry

@Aidan -- Thanks, re: Bev Thompson. I stand corrected.

May 30, 2018 @ 10:52 AM

Jim

Meh. I only watch the Morning Show on Global. Carolyn Mackenzie is the best looking woman on morning T.V.

May 30, 2018 @ 2:14 PM

Boomer

@Brandon -Nothing makes me turn the channel faster than Winston.
@Jim -You are so correct!

May 30, 2018 @ 3:26 PM

Anonymous

Frankish was a well known tyrant to the cast and crew. He was legendary for it. He makes a huge amount of money and the viewers were going to CP24 . You can see there was little chemistry between him and Dina and I suspect they don't really like each other. The show tried to add youth by adding the social media guy who would bore everyone with whatever was trending on twitter (who cares). I am assuming they will try to copy the CP24 formula - young and cheap. The CP24 at least seems to like each other. This is a firing and I am sure he got a good package considering his huge salary and many years there.

May 30, 2018 @ 8:20 PM

Anonymous

He most certainly was given more than 3 days' notice, as someone speculated. He'd been on vacation in California for the previous two weeks, so I suspect he had known for quite some time.

May 31, 2018 @ 6:39 AM

Anonymous

Kevin’s departure feels like the end of an era. It makes me sad. I wish Kevin and his family many wonderful years ahead. He will certainly be successful in wherever this new path leads. I wouldn’t want to be the person trying to fill those shoes. All the best Kevin!

May 31, 2018 @ 8:27 AM

Maroonclown

I agree with Anonymous above. I don't think Kevin and Dina like each other very much. He is constantly either telling her she's wrong in her opinions (which are often quite dumb IMHO) or he's correcting her mid-sentence. It's written all over her face when he does this. And his moral high-road preaching was becoming unbearable.

May 31, 2018 @ 8:47 AM

Denis

I know exactly why Kevin is leaving! He was asked to quit because of several outbreaks on the show over the years. One occurred on April 14 2015 in which you see him "screaming" at the Producer of the show. He lost it that day and also has had few burnouts. No doubt the company also was looking at a fresher and younger host to join Dina. He was a great guy and he is too young to retire. You will see him landing a job at another TV station.

May 31, 2018 @ 9:44 AM

Judy

I say it’s the sign of times...senior guy, high salary...It’s time to go said BT.
And my bet he will be replaced by Roger Peterson...the guy who coincidentally filled in for him while he was on vacation....
Your a limited commodity at a certain age with a stop watch...behind you.

May 31, 2018 @ 12:51 PM

Paula

Kevin was the pillar of BT, there is no doubt in my mind he was dismissed. I may be just one viewer but my morning information will be other shows now. I did not continue to watch for 28 years he was on air for nothing.
Kevin was brilliant, if he ends up on another show, I will watch that. As for his incidences , there may be more to it than we know, as mentioned "a sign of the times" , What is happening to a lot of older persons with longevity at a job, high salary, benefits, vacation time etc. the Employer goes out of their way to create difficulty and demanding, attempting to force them to quit and they look for reasons to fire them , Been there and have seen it being done.

May 31, 2018 @ 4:50 PM

Brandon

@Denis

To be fair now, that video you reference ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-FY2ukN2jY
) was a parody segment, playing on a Dennis Quaid "freakout" that "leaked" around the same time (itself later revealed to be a skit). The video was officially posted by BT on both Youtube and their own site and you can clearly hear a colleague laughing during it.

May 31, 2018 @ 8:04 PM

Fakeologist

No one is watching - so advertising is not paying.

TV and radio are dying like Sears. Millennials don't watch live.

Kevin is a dinosaur in 2018, and we know what happened to them (lol).

Surprised it took this long. I haven't noticed him since City Assignment desk.

June 1, 2018 @ 5:37 AM

Bridget

The entire group should be changed.....stopped watching when Jennifer was let go. Apparently Live Eye was discontinued.....well why is it still on? But could not be more boring. Jennifer departed and so did I......

June 1, 2018 @ 8:27 AM

Maroonclown

For someone who is sticking around they sure are treating him with quite the "goodbye" tribute. Lots of tears. His wife is there. Msgs from Chris Hadfield, Trudeau, PinBall and so many others. So over the top. Just goes to show you that if you take their offer you get a tongue bath as opposed to the shitty way they showed Jennifer Valentyne the door. Here one minute and gone the next.

June 1, 2018 @ 9:04 AM

sheila

Just watched Kevins last show. The thing that struck me was Dinas over the top antics. I can understand that you are sorry your co host is leaving, but for goodness sake, think of his wife and kids all sitting there! I feel very sorry and embarrassed for his wife Beth. Dina kept hugging and kissing and hanging on to him for dear life. Kevin on one side and Beth was on his other side, looking very uncomfortable. The other cohosts all seemed uncomfortable too.

June 1, 2018 @ 9:30 AM

Maroonclown

I agree Sheila. It was if he had been given 2 weeks to live.

June 1, 2018 @ 9:55 AM

A Jackman

I am going to miss Kevin ' such a nice guy - the only reason I watched city tv - good luck to Kevin and his next chapter - lots of people think The other one should be gone - fashion queen so not about news - I hated it when they let the other lady go - people who are speaking truly always get let go - not watching the show again :(

June 1, 2018 @ 1:02 PM

JasonBell

After Jennifer Valentyne left I lost the desire and interest to watch BT again. Seeing Kevin saying goodbye was emotional after so many years at BT. I wish him and his family all the best going forward. I agree with a few of the posters here, BT needs to revamp their show and liven it up a bit. Right now it's stale and I'm not a big fan of Dina either. Replace Dina with either Tammie or Melanie and bring in a younger co-host.

June 1, 2018 @ 2:49 PM

Garry Wood

yet people just old time wht wrong with new hosts right?

June 1, 2018 @ 5:07 PM

Franca Stevenato

I was a big mistake to get rid of Kevin Frankish....I will definitely stop watching BT.....He made that show....Dina on the other hand. doesn't...... It's a huge mistake on Roger's part.... I would love to know the idiot who made this choice......

June 1, 2018 @ 5:12 PM

Patrick

Like others I am a lapsed viewer who tuned in to see the Kevin's final day. You could really tell he wanted to be anywhere but there today and while it was nice they gave him the full treatment it was also interesting to notice a few things:

- they only did memories of his recent things and not his full time on BT. There were bits here and there but it felt like they only acknowledge the last 4-5 years

- Little to no mention about his former co-hosts. They act as though it's only ever been Dina who sat with him even though we know both Ann Rohmer and Liza Fromer were his co-hosts long before Dina. Dunno if there's hard feelings or if Rogers is being Rogers about people who worked for the competition but just seemed odd.

A few more general observations about BT while on the topic

- when did they move upstairs? Feels like they now seem to be "above" everyone instead of being on the street and the pulse of the city. Then again, with the bulk of them living in the yorkville area it's not a wonder they seem a bit elitist at times. No wonder CP24 feels more in touch with the city these days compared to these folks.

- The show overall felt less like something on City and more like Canada AM in it's last days. I know Kevin stated during his talk with Mike he felt at the time Canada AM was their competition but for the show to change so drastically to be almost like it is astounding.

- The show felt very....American as well, if that's a way to put it. I mean, it felt like an American morning show as opposed to a Canadian one. All the on-screen people looked very corporate and polished and it felt like everything, even the "chats", were all planned out and/or scripted. It feels like the fun has been drained out of that place. You can definitely tell this with both Melanie and Tammie and how they look like they're just doing what they do to keep their gigs but would rather be doing other news at the station.

- One thing that drove me away is how preachy and/or opinionated they got during news segments and it seems that is still the case. I wish Dina would just keep her opinions to herself and/or Kevin would get off his moral high horse on certain subjects.

- Don't like how they minimize the screen to show ads but keep their weather and news tracker up. Kinda feels like they're trying to double dip on things.

All in all, I think I'll continue staying away from BT. I'm glad Kevin got the sendoff he deserved but the show itself is dead as long as it's on it's path and that starts with the producers on down to some of the talent.

June 1, 2018 @ 5:22 PM

Jim

Let's be real for a minute. Remember what CityTV used to be! Great Movies, they would show 3 flicks a day, one afternoon movie, one evening then the Late Great Movie with funny comments about the movie by Mark Daily at commercial breaks. They also aired good music programs like The New Music. They also had really simple original programming ideas like ''CityTV's Night Ride'' and even Speakers Corner. I pretty much avoid CityTV now because it comes off as one long boring commercial with no good programs that make the commercials bearable! ''Re-loading at the corner of Jane and Finch, This is CityTV, Everywhere.'' R.I.P Mr. Daily.

June 1, 2018 @ 6:57 PM

Melt

Time to get rid of Dina!!!

June 1, 2018 @ 11:09 PM

bsmntdwllr73

CityTv died when Moses Znaimer received his proverbial marching orders, no matter how lucrative
they turned out to be. The final nail in the coffin came with the sad passing of Mark Dailey in late
2010. This station was a proud innovator back in the day, but now it is simply just another penny generator for Rogers!!

June 2, 2018 @ 10:13 AM

Anonymous

Now get rid of Dina she is constantly yelling over everyone. Thinks she is funny when she is not. Most annoying person on the show. No longer will be watching BT.

June 4, 2018 @ 5:16 AM

June 4, 2018 @ 5:16 AM

June 4, 2018 @ 5:16 AM

June 4, 2018 @ 5:17 AM

Dusty Ayres

@Anonymous, @Cambo: What was said in the last paragraph by Anonymous fits with something I read quite a while ago about radio:

Personally, I wish that the commercial (North) American radio industry won't pay heed to what's in this article: I want it to die off, and come back with newer stations run by people who give a shit about radio, and aren't in it to be greedy a-holes obsessed with ratings and the money to be made by advertisements and playing a metric frakton of Top 40 pop music 24-7/365.

June 5, 2018 @ 5:25 PM

Garry

@Patrick-frank why cant younger talent like adam wylde rakeover because generation thig older people rather hold onto there frankish and dina and frank f not have change ro host know wthat ctv your morning has new-old face why cant city tv and global do that there morin g shows

June 6, 2018 @ 3:41 PM

Garry

@Brandon i think adam w will fill his shoe has the host

June 6, 2018 @ 3:46 PM

William D. Jones

Definitely a sign of the times. No job security in television unless you are employed by CBC. I don’t buy into the retirement excuse. It’s funny how real retirement has weeks or months of see ya later and firings are sudden without mention of the person’s name once they are gone. I have been teetering on the edge of leaving my BT ritual for a while now. Have been giving Global’s morning show a watch. Jury still out.

June 15, 2018 @ 7:07 PM

Kim

Quite frankly I was very happy when Kevin announced his “retirement”.
Was overbearing, over opinionated, spent much of his time mansplaining to everyone. The chemistry between him and Dina was weird and awkward.

I’m sure Dina is a nice person but I would like to see her leave too. She has taken up the mantle of being overbearing. It’s like she is competing for her time on the screen.

When Jen Valentyne left that was when things began to fall apart. Get two new vibrant hosts, keep Melanie for news, Adam Wylde for sports, Devo for entertainment and Tammie for the out and about segments. And I guess Winston for tech segments.

June 19, 2018 @ 8:13 AM

Lois M. Hart

I have been tired of Kevin for a long time. He always had to have the last word & make Dina feel like a fool. Sorry Kev, but your time is up.

June 19, 2018 @ 5:06 PM

Garry

@willism yet cbc empolyee go somewhere else to like global jeff semple?

June 21, 2018 @ 4:08 PM

Susan

Just watching BT - sorry to say, but I found it entirely "Cringeworthy". They all seem uptight, nervous and completely uncomfortable. Dina keeps wittering on and talking too loud, you have def. lost me as a viewer. Kevin Frankish, get back here.....I know - he was fired. At least he added some credibility to the show. Frankie and the tech guy seem really on edge. They all make me feel uncomfortable and who needs that?

June 27, 2018 @ 8:11 AM

wade

Couldn't agree more. Watched for awhile this morning before work andthey all seem unhappy. Even Mel looked down and out.

June 27, 2018 @ 8:31 AM

garry

was just on adam wlyde page knowq he gone to

June 27, 2018 @ 10:50 PM

Neil Clarke Warren

@ Susan...They all seem to be on edge because THEY ALL know that they are on life support and 1-2 or more will be toast before Labor day.They are all merely "summer fill ins".Why would" Robbers " ditch them now and have to pay another body to fill in. They are still paying Kevin + a body to fill his chair.

June 28, 2018 @ 3:19 AM

yvonne

@Susan couldn't agree more. Dina gives me a headache with her shrieking and over the top personality. I used to watch this all the time but now it is so awkward that it just hurts. It's like forcing the wrong puzzle pieces together or being immersed in florescent lighting. I won't be watching again. Kevin is lucky he got out of there although his dad-like opinions were getting tired. I hope the whole show goes away.

June 29, 2018 @ 9:03 AM

Mike Henderson

Kevin was the architect behind the scenes to get rid of Jenn. When he made that happen I stopped watching the show.
Kevin was a control freak, no new ideas, within a stail format.
Loosing the live eye with jenn was the most short-sighted decision Rogers could have made.
Loosing Kevin was one of the better decisions Rogers could have made

Time for an overhaul and get it into the City

July 3, 2018 @ 12:54 PM

Anonymous

@Mike Henderson city news never been the same without gord m-mark daley .know roger peterson takeover kevin which im ok with ok.would you rsther ven freaking control mulrooney or jeff slowpaced macarthur

July 4, 2018 @ 1:08 PM

Anonymous

I think Dina is the best

July 5, 2018 @ 7:16 AM

annon

WRONG..Dina is the ultimate DITZ !!!

July 5, 2018 @ 9:37 AM

Anonymous

@annon dina use to bell then roger grabbed her up sorta m.dennis

July 5, 2018 @ 12:31 PM

Beatts

Anyone have a translation for that last one ?

July 5, 2018 @ 2:33 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Beats
Frank(ish)ly(!), I'm far too confused sorting out the various folks posting as Anonymous or annon in this thread to try and figure that one out!! All that's missing is for Anonamass to make their long-awaited return to the blog and sprinkle out a little bit of their patented Golden Magic!!

July 5, 2018 @ 2:38 PM

Anonymous

dina p use to Enetwork and muchmusic before headingh rogers-BT

July 6, 2018 @ 4:59 PM

mert

Quit watching after Jen left...enjoyed her and her ventures! Dina talked over everyone...mostly Kevin. Also, the two were very annoying talking over each other.

August 24, 2018 @ 6:48 PM

Mike Hawkisitzci

I just found out this evening that Kevin Left, when I googled it. I thought before he was on vacation, then maybe sick.
I was not happy when they got rid of Jennifer Valentyne. It was the beginning of the end for me, and I think Kevin with Winston doing the multimedia screen thing together looked just wrong.
Whoever is running the show, pulling the strings, producing, writing etc are the ones that are bringing it down. I tune it every so often for about 7 minutes, but again, When they let Jennifer go, I slowly stopped watching. Wishing Kevin all the best, as I liked him at the end of the day.

September 7, 2018 @ 10:31 PM

Anonymous

LIKE ALL SHOWS AFTER SO MANY YEARS IT'S TIME FOR CHANGE AND TV HAS ALLWAYS BEEN ABOUT YOUNGER SO WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL. IT IS WHAT IT IS PART OF LIFE. I SAID TO MUCH. GOOD LUCK TO ALL. NEXT

September 13, 2018 @ 6:58 PM

jim

Frank was past his best before date. They always pair younger women with old men on a TV news.
Like white men always have Asian wives on commercials, never the opposite or mix marriages that don't have a white male. Frank and Dina were like oil and water. Mr. Flowers due date may be coming.
The new fella remains me of the Simpsons news reader, more camera friendly.

Frank should try CHCH, CBC or radio. Even CTV because television will save the world.

September 27, 2018 @ 7:38 AM