Podcast Potpourri

It's the dog days of summer, so here's some podcast stuff for the curious.

Firstly, those who thought the folding Costco chairs podcast guests had to sit on should be upgraded will be happy to know that's happening today. Blue Sky Agency in Liberty Village has donated a couple of beauts and I'll be adding them to the podcast studio tonight. According to the schedule, Colin D'Mello from CTV will be the first to sit in them.

And I know they're great chairs because they weigh a ton!

This summer, I've started a new series of podcasts I call "Kick Out the Jams!". That exclamation mark is very, very important. Some love these episodes (as do I), but I've had some feedback that they miss the regular style episodes.

Admittedly, there have been a lot of KOTJ episodes lately, but this is primarily because it's tough to get a new guest to visit during these dog days of summer. Larry Fedoruk, Alex Pierson, Michael Hainsworth, Ziggy and Bob Mackowycz were regular episodes, and Colin D'Mello next week will be a deep dive, and come September there will be more of these. KOTJ episodes are just so damn fun, and a great way for a guest to return for a brief catch-up, so I'll be continuing those as well.

As always, in an effort to please everyone, I'll please nobody. :)

Here are some important podcast links I'd like you to be aware of.

If you experience any technical issues with the podcast, or would like me to make a change to the way I write the metadata or create the MP3, this is a great place to share.

Thanks for listening to Toronto Mike'd!

Rob J

Gotta be close to the 3rd anniversary of my entrance into the TM universe (sometime in the summer of 2014), and I've loved getting to know many personalities I'd ne'er heard of (e.g. most of the CFNY-related guests), and also learning more about those I've seen and listened to for years, for better or worse (e.g. the sports media personnel)

May the new chairs be a symbol of the 4 legs of your podcast: fun, entertaining, informative, and realtalk.

August 9, 2017 @ 6:18 PM

@Rob J

I'm a little concerned that if the chairs were any more comfy Maestro Fresh Wes might have fallen asleep!

Of course, the more relaxed the guest, the more #realtalk we'll be rewarded with...

August 9, 2017 @ 6:37 PM

Rob J

Looking forward to finding out!

August 9, 2017 @ 6:38 PM

On the topic of KOTJ, both Damien Cox and Steve Simmons are dropping by, but not together.

Sophia J, as well.

Did I mention how much I enjoy kicking out the jams with people?

August 9, 2017 @ 6:41 PM

Rob J

Noticed deadspin took a bite out of Steve for his column on Genie Bouchard today. I don't have an opinion either way, but maybe a quick query on your part would be relevant if you have him down there anyways.

Yes, i can tell you've hit Cloud 9 due to the KOTJ feature!

August 9, 2017 @ 7:01 PM

Liz

Hey Mike - post this on the Cheryl Network as well (that Friday thing).

The value, the insight, the entertainment and, the joy Mike's podcasts bring to so many of us deserve monetization. I don't know what Mike's numbers look like and I don't care. What he's accomplished is beyond impressive. If each of us gives this fucker even a dollar a month to continue bringing his gold? Makes sense, right?

Hey, this nice lunatic has 4 kids. But, I digress.

I'll admit that Patreon sign up is cumbersome AF. Pony up, shitheads! There's NO ONE unable to do at least one dollar a month. How do I know?

I work with homeless people. Best people I have the pleasure to know. Why am I telling you this? Because people with 'nothing' are the first to say thank you. My guess is most listeners here don't have to sign up for their time at the library computer.

Give it some thought.

So, say thank you to Toronto Mike. Again, a dollar or so?

August 9, 2017 @ 11:38 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike,
As someone who has to use the library for my computer time, I have to
say I was a little insulted by the comment above, and no, I am definitely not
homeless! I could definitely afford a dollar month but as I don't live in the modern,
digital world, I would probably have to recruit a carrier pigeon to transport it to you!!
On another note, I want to thank you once again for the high-quality product you
constantly put out on this blog/podcast. It really is commendable when you consider
all of your various other personal and professional obligations, so many Kudos to you!!!
And by the way, sweet new chairs!

August 10, 2017 @ 9:21 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

Liz is a sweetheart, and I'm sure she meant no offence.

By the way, for someone who is not living in the modern, digital world, your commitment to podcasts and blogs is impressive. Dare I say you are living in the modern, digital world. :)

p.s. Libraries are awesome.

August 10, 2017 @ 9:27 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike,
What I meant by my digital comment is that I have no communicative
digital devices at my disposal (well, that I use, anyway)! Yes,indeed, libraries
are very awesome, but sadly some of the folks one encounters or is surrounded
by often are not! Shout out to the Toronto Public Library system!!!

August 10, 2017 @ 9:31 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

I used to borrow so many CDs and DVDs from my local library. Not just for books anymore!

August 10, 2017 @ 9:39 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike,
My best friends are my library card, Google and Youtube! In fact, my local
branch once informed me that I probably held the record for most active
library account. It's a good thing that I have an insanely large music collection
at my disposal, because in the very near future the library will probably stop
purchasing new CDs.

August 10, 2017 @ 9:42 AM

Anon&on

I know this has been mentioned before but I don't recall the end result- does anyone else find the volume low on T.O. Mike'd? I listen to a lot of podcasts (using Downcast), TO Mike'd is the quietest, I wish I could turn it up to 11 ... or 12, or 13. Most podcasts fall in the 3/4 volume range, some down at half, Mike'd is always at max and i find myself checking the volume for more.
x2 @Liz, cumbersome AF! Pulled the plug in the captcha phase in the latest attempt, ended up spending the card on Bandcamp. I'll try again some day.

August 10, 2017 @ 7:10 PM

@Anon&on

I've got a little time off coming up. I promise to play with the settings to try and make it louder.

I already run the Amplify effect in Audacity, but maybe there's something more I can do on the mixer.

August 10, 2017 @ 7:59 PM