Ingrid Schumacher Fired From 104.5 CHUM-FM After 40 Years

About a year ago, Ingrid Schumacher visited my home and shared several great stories about her four decades on the air at 104.5 CHUM-FM. She was even on the air the night John Lennon was shot. I thoroughly enjoyed our conversation and urge you to listen to it here.

I'm sorry to report that Ingrid was fired from her 104.5 CHUM-FM gig on Thursday. Almost immediately, several things happened:

I believe Ingrid is was the on-air personality who had spent the longest time on the same Toronto station and was still active. After 40 years at CHUM-FM, I'm sorry to see her dismissed in this fashion. I recently wrote about a recent trend where radio personalities were getting to say goodbye to their listeners on the air. Josie Dye got to say goodbye on 102.1 the Edge, Maureen Holloway got to say goodbye on Q107, Raina Douris got to say goodbye on indie88 and Darren B. Lamb got to say goodbye on CHUM-FM. In all three instances, however, the talent quit for a position on another station. When you're fired, radio doesn't extend the same courtesy.

Ingrid, if you're reading this, contact me as I'd love to have you back on Toronto Mike'd so you can say goodbye to an audience that has enjoyed your work for four decades. You're an institution in this market who deserved far better.

Anonymous

Such a shame. An undignified end to a great tenure. Guess the Bell corporate overlords thought it was time to replace her with a 20-something who would work for half the salary.

I understand radio's a business and not an employment service, but the lack of respect and dignity shown to people who have committed their professional lives to stations for several decades is astonishing.

Wish Ingrid all the best

January 29, 2017 @ 11:51 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Wow. As if. While I don't listen to Chum I really enjoyed listenning to Ingrid on the podcast and I'm sorry to hear this. Yes radio is a business but 40 years is a long, long time and no doubt she had many listenners that stuck with her over the years. That's sad. Really shitty of Bell Media to just wipe her off the website and twitter as if she never existed. That's fucked up. But then again...its Bell so we really shouldn't be surprised.

January 29, 2017 @ 12:26 PM

Anonymous

They fired her the day after Bell's Let's Talk day.

January 29, 2017 @ 12:42 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Sad to see Ingrid go, she had a familiar and enthusiastic voice.
Never understand why management can't come in and work out some kind of dignified transition, as in the examples you mentioned. What might have been different was the celebrity leaving, and not the clumsy management orchestrating the transition.

January 29, 2017 @ 12:50 PM

Alex

This is the radio business now. I know a number of people who have served their station faithfully for many years, 30 to 40, some of them and been fired. There is no loyalty on the bean counter side. You bring in someone else with less experience and pay them 50% of what you paid the one you fired. Your replacement is half the age and their salary is half the wage. Gone are the days of a radio station having local ownership and an air staff who were happy and proud to work there.

January 29, 2017 @ 3:10 PM

Pete from Ottawa

Not surprised. Bell makes themselves look good by raising money for mental illness then causes it themselves.

January 29, 2017 @ 3:25 PM

Susan

In the Ottawa area we lost John 'Milky' Meilke, Codi Jeffrey's, Cub Carson, Mel Adams as well as a few others from BOB FM. Codi was on the air, took a commercial break, fired. The station disappeared instantly as it was, they played Muzak for 2 days and rebranded the station country, all new on air talent.
Carol Anne Meehan was anchor on CTV Ottawa for 40 years, there one day, fired the next. Not even a chance to say goodbye. CTV lost a LOT of viewers that day and a lot of Bell customers left as well.
Heartless bastards.

January 29, 2017 @ 3:31 PM

Dave Kew

This is very upsetting in two ways, long time industry following and corp non think tank. Ingrid, We love down here in South Florida!. YES BELL I SAID USA FOLLOWING.
You will be missed, Industry person, was Toronto now Miami

Dave
Catch a Star

January 29, 2017 @ 3:37 PM

Nick

Still shows up here...

Although now that I've pointed it out I'm sure it will be yanked.

January 29, 2017 @ 6:52 PM

Jay

Yet another reason why I dispose Bell. Bell you suck.

January 29, 2017 @ 8:59 PM

Darryl Henry

Ingrid I remember you introducing the Blow Monkeys, calling it a 'tasty track' in your signature bright, warm, beautiful tone. Tasty track. Loved that. That was 30 years ago. I remember it like it was yesterday. Congrats on a great career; for the love of good radio I hope it isn't too long before you're back on the air.

January 29, 2017 @ 9:49 PM

Bakker

Sorry to see Ingrid go, especially in such a disrespectful way. There is one lesson that can be learned here: if you work in media, DO NOT include your company, or station name in you Twitter, Facebook, or other Social Media handle (I.e; @johnnyOnAirClassicRock109.5) because when they fire you they will block you from using it... and you probably won't want to use it anyway. You will end up losing the audience that YOU worked so hard to build.

January 30, 2017 @ 12:29 AM

Chunky

Someone brought up Let's Talk Day... Seems to be a busy time for Bell...

January 30, 2017 @ 1:50 AM

Cheryl

Okay. Here goes my thoughts. I remember talking to Ingrid years ago and she was rude. I didn't like her. I found her to be rude like why did I ever bother calling in the first place, but that was many years ago and I was a kid. Well, probably she might have been busy or maybe had a headache or something who knows. On the other hand, Bell sucks. She was around for a long time. She never should have gotten let go just like that. Don't you think she's old enough to retire though?

January 30, 2017 @ 7:09 AM

Jimbo

Sorry, but I have an opposing opinion to most of those here. It was time!...and long overdue. Her show has been very, very, stale for a long, long time. She has been "phoning it in" for some time. As a long time CHUM-FM listener, that is the perception I am left with as her show started off every day. If you are good with hunches, perceptions, observations, whatever....you knew this was coming sooner or later...and I've had this thought for the last 1-2 years. Just because someone is "good" at what they do, has been there a long time, etc., doesn't mean it isn't time to "freshen it up". Roger has been at CHUM for 40+ years, and I have never had this thought about him/the morning show.

January 30, 2017 @ 9:28 AM

Brian Stutz

Always a knowledgeable, professional voice on CHUM-FM that will be missed.
A loyal soldier for the station for many years and a great MC at concerts and events.
Thank you for your support of the local scene

January 30, 2017 @ 9:34 AM

J

@Jimbo: You may be correct - and perhaps that is the reason for her being let go. But does that make it right that she gets booted off the air, with no chance to say goodbye? Darren B Lamb got a phone call and although he probably wasn't fired - had way less time at CHUM than Ingrid. I don't even listen, I just think it's sad that so they don't give people a chance to say goodbye; her whole career is with them and she did a lot for them over the years.

January 30, 2017 @ 9:55 AM

Jimbo

Yes, I agree with you there to a point. My comments are soley directed at "her show", and from a long time listening perspective... not the way in which she may or may not have been let go. I, in fact, was "one of those" let go from the very same building. I was given a chance to stick around and say goodbye, but I didn't want to to be honest. I had to come back the same week and "clean out my office". It can be awkward, or depending upon the individual, is awkward for him or her. We don't truly know the specifics of what did or didn't happen.

January 30, 2017 @ 10:04 AM

Beatts

Very sorry for Ingrid. Never listened to her show but it is always tough seeing someone lose their job regardless.

My intent for this comment is to say how much I hate Bell.

An absolute thieving piece of s#@t company. Just reading their name gets my blood boiling. I wish them nothing but ill will.

January 30, 2017 @ 10:10 AM

J

Forgot to add: when Rick left the morning show, to me, he had been cut down to just the news and not much else. I can't recall him getting a goodbye either??

January 30, 2017 @ 10:10 AM

@J

When Rick Hodge quit to move to the competition (EZ-Rock and CFRB), he did not get to say goodbye. We talked about that in great detail here: http://www.torontomike.com/2015/03/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_116.html

January 30, 2017 @ 10:13 AM

Jimbo

With Rick it was 100% his choice. He left...or more correctly...didn't return. Roger, Rick and Marilyn were all on vacation one week, and when "they" returned on Monday morning, "they" was two of them. No Rick. He made the choice to not return. Roger has told this story many times over the years. He was as surprised as anyone. So, "getting a goodbye" didn't apply in his situation.

January 30, 2017 @ 10:17 AM

Wayner

Unless fired for cause, anyone who has been with the same employer for 10+ years should be afforded the decency of saying good-bye to colleagues/friends (or listeners) if they want to…it’s just the right thing to do

January 30, 2017 @ 11:14 AM

j

Jimbo: no worries I get you! I can understand her being let go if they needed someone who could change it up for the audience or bring a fresh perspective
Sorry you were let go :( and I understand not wanting one final goodbye, you're correct we do not know all the details.

Mike/Jimbo - I should give that a listen. I just remember listening one morning and Rick was gone. I think when he quit it was a different time and they may not have seen the need for goodbyes? Also, I used to listen to CHUM on the way to school - I was in high school and I looked forward to the show. But I noticed over time that all his segments were cut, shortened or just plain ol' disappeared. He barely was saying anything on air in general it seemed - so to me it was like they structured it so he didn't have much to do? And that let him to quit? But all just from what I recall.

Wayner - unless they're let go because of criminal activity (which I am sure they wouldn't give a goodbye) I agree! A decade or more anywhere is a lot in this day and age.

January 30, 2017 @ 1:27 PM

Guestxyz

Outrageous! I love Ingrid. I listen to her every single day. and I have for years. And after 40 years! Unacceptable. What the hell is wrong with Chum FM?1? Badly done!!

January 30, 2017 @ 1:29 PM

Hendu

I spent 35 years in radio/TV sports -- mostly in Calgary.
Only four stops over that time.. not bad for a broadcaster, eh?
Two "leavings" were my idea.. the other two were 'theirs'!! Bahahaha
Great biz but needs a better shit-filter!! :-(

January 30, 2017 @ 1:31 PM

Italian Janine

Totally disagree with "Jimbo". I have no idea why but there are always going to be Jimbos who have to get their dig in when something goes terribly wrong for someone...like getting fired and being treated disrespectfully after 40 years of service. I am actually considering not listening to Chum any longer and I turn Chum on at 7 a.m. and listen until 6 p.m. every single business day!

January 30, 2017 @ 1:34 PM

STeve

Typical Bell. You're a number, not a person.

January 30, 2017 @ 2:10 PM

Anonymous

Sorry to hear that she's out of work. But 40 years is a pretty rare run, especially these days. But it's time to make room for the new crop. There's a good reason why radio is dying: there isn't a new generation to take it somewhere fresh. Get out of the way and let a 20-something find their voice and audience.

January 30, 2017 @ 2:22 PM

Handsome Rob

Just going in a different direction.

That package would have to be 2.5 years unless she was signed to a contract for longer?

And though it's not nice to see someone get let go, 40 years is pretty remarkable for this market! Hope she enjoys sleeping in for a few days before she heads on over to Boom!

January 30, 2017 @ 2:25 PM

Lucia

Good Luck, Ingrid. You have talent girl! Move on and don't look back.

January 30, 2017 @ 2:47 PM

Simply the Best

Heartless Pricks!

January 30, 2017 @ 2:49 PM

andrew

Ingrid should take over Derringer's spot. I wish.

January 30, 2017 @ 2:52 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Good observation Handsome Rob, she would fit there nicely, but the damn do not competes or severance claw backs might spoil this.

January 30, 2017 @ 3:07 PM

Jimbo

Note to Anonymous: Exactly. And thank you. Couldn't agree more. It was a business decision and overdue in my opinion. Does anyone else on here not realize her ratings have likely declined dramatically over the years while her salary was pretty big? Don't cry tears for Ingrid. She had 40 years and would have received a good severance accordance with the law.

January 30, 2017 @ 3:13 PM

Alan

Sad to hear of yet another unexpected dismissal. Unfortunately, this type of job loss is not confined to just radio. Nowadays it is not uncommon for people being sacked without any notice and then be dragged out by security with barely any time to gather up their possessions. I always enjoyed listening to Ingrid when I used to listen to CHUM-FM. I’ve outgrown that station and maybe she has too. 40 years is a great run in any job let alone radio. Some people have mentioned she’d be great on 97.3 or Q. I’m sure she’d be great on any station she chooses.

January 30, 2017 @ 3:14 PM

TORSTAR

Torstar article about the firing...

Radio host Ingrid Schumacher fired from CHUM FM after 40 years

One of Toronto's longest-serving radio personalities has been terminated by the station, she confirmed Monday.

By: Staff Torstar News Service Published on Mon Jan 30 2017

Ingrid Schumacher, one of Toronto’s longest serving radio personalities, has been terminated from CHUM FM Radio after 40 years there.

Schumacher has confirmed she had been let go last week by the station but said she has been given a severance package and will offer further comment after consulting with her lawyer.

“I wasn’t wrongfully dismissed or anything like that, I didn’t breach my contract, that much I can tell you. I was basically made redundant,” Schumacher told the Star Monday during a telephone interview.

“All I can say is that I’m hopeful for my future. I’m a glass half-full kind of person and I have a very positive outlook in general in my life . . . I have a clear heart and clear head. Beyond that, I’m excited about what the future may hold for me. There is life after something like this for sure,” she said.

“In the grand scheme of things, I’m taking this in stride. I’m going to deal with my legal issues as best I can and continue to have respect for the institution of broadcasting and myself and move forward,” Schumacher added.

Matthew Garrow, director, news, local stations, sports at Bell Media, which owns the station, confirmed the news in a terse statement.

“I can confirm the departure of Ingrid Schumacher as a result of changes in 104.5 CHUM FM’s programming lineup. We wish Ingrid the very best in future endeavors,” Garrow said.

Schumacher, a graduate of Fanshawe College’s radio broadcast program, first joined CHUM FM in 1977, has served as the midday announcer in recent years.

January 30, 2017 @ 4:28 PM

the brother

Mike, what is the status of the 'Back In the Day Brunch'? It was syndicated over many Bell stations

January 30, 2017 @ 6:11 PM

Lucas

I was looking at that today actually @the brother... according to the Iheart site The Back In The Day Brunch is staying on the air without Ingrid, everywhere it was syndicated to except CHUM FM. The name is now just Back In The Day. Im assuming what will happen is CHUM FM will get rid of their Back In The Day Brunch, and the other syndicated stations will be doing their own Back In The Day show in the place of Ingrid's former show. I could be wrong though. Ive listened to Ingrid's Brunch every Sunday morning for years now, and its too bad what is probably going to become of the show because of Ingrid's firing.

P.S. I agree with everyone here. Boom 97.3 would be a fantastic fit for her!

January 30, 2017 @ 9:47 PM

the brother

Thanks @Lucas I was a faithful listener too since the days of the 3-hour format. Did Roger and Marilyn acknowledge Ingrid's departure on air yet? They did for Rick and Darren and I would hope they would show Ingrid the same courtesy for long time listeners.

January 30, 2017 @ 10:36 PM

Lucas

@the brother No, they haven't and unfortunately I don't think they will. Rick and Darren only got acknowledged because they chose to leave, Ingrid was let go. When you get let go corporations try to act like nothing has ever happened, like you were never there to begin with. Sad but all too common

January 30, 2017 @ 10:59 PM

Lucas

nowadays, especially for someone like Ingrid. I also think if any of the hosts were to speak up they would be in alot of trouble from managment. Its too bad because she deserved a proper goodbye, and she didn't get one in the end.

January 30, 2017 @ 11:02 PM

Tamra

What happened? Why did she get fired!?

January 30, 2017 @ 11:12 PM

Cheryl

Well, it would suck to lose your job just like that, but I imagine she is probably in her 60s. That was years ago that Ingrid was rude to me. I talked to her once, maybe twice. I think it actually could have been twice. I just wasn't fond of her, but Bell does suck.

January 31, 2017 @ 7:10 AM

Stella

Good Luck Ingrid. You didn't deserve this. Bell Media is loathsome. I feel sorry for their employees. Glad I ditched Bell years ago. Best wishes and please move to a station that plays online so I can continue to listen through the day. I hope everyone at Chum is giving you a lot of support! Take Care.

January 31, 2017 @ 11:37 AM

Tony Girl

I'll miss Ingrid a lot!! BTW, Jimbo is obviously an executive with Bell Media!

January 31, 2017 @ 11:42 AM

Voice of Reason

Bell is just another company doing the same thing other companies do (not saying it's right). Alex's comment was spot-on.

January 31, 2017 @ 4:30 PM

ANON

VICTOR MALAREK GONE TOO.

January 31, 2017 @ 4:40 PM

Thomas

With all the backlash Bell is taking for canning Ingrid Schumacher and others you might think it would be a fine time for that other company to rid themselves of that huge mistake they made in Blundell.
( It;s not as if you are going to get intelligent in depth analysis from him Monday morning after the Super Bowl). Then again the suits over there are just as clueless towards the public.

January 31, 2017 @ 5:07 PM

Irvine

@Thomas

What backlash? The newspaper articles aren't about the concern of a job loss, they're just about attacking the competition. I mean The Star talking about treating staff poorly? This blog & a few others are just echo chambers of a small group of industry insiders and rabid radio fans who take this shit to heart. The remainder of society doesn't care.

Further, the claim about boycotting Bell, etc, is just nonsense. The same thing was said when Martin Streek died. They were going to boycott Corus, protest, etc. Nothing happened. It's "slacktivism" at it's best. Sign some online petition, then go back to watching Netflix.

The reality is probably a whole swath of society has no idea who she is nor will they notice she's gone outside of in casual passing. Corporate radio built an audience that is fickle & has no attention span. People listen to stations in markets with the diary rating systems and they STILL don't know the name of the station.

As a side note, this "moaning" over "celebrity" is part of the reason Trump is in power in the United States. Millions of people get fired and don't get much severance & are left struggling to feed their kids. They also don't have a platform to take their termination public. Maybe we should have a blog entry about that, but I doubt that.

tl:dr. A chick lost her job.

January 31, 2017 @ 6:44 PM

Jimbo

Hi Irvine. Bang on. Well said. Hi Tony Girl. Yeah baby (like the name). "is an Executive". If you read my earlier post, you will see I said I "WAS in the same building", so yes I WAS a Manager. But, you will see I talk about having the same fate as Ingrid. So I get it. I learned today another local TV station V.P./Manager was part of this restructuring...and many others...so Ingrid is far from alone. These are business decisions people. I'm not condoning what or how they do it, but I get it. People now work for a phone company, not a broadcaster.

January 31, 2017 @ 6:59 PM

Irvine

@Jimbo

Further, the talk she "worked for the same station" for 40 years is moot. The station has been owned by a handful of entities. She worked for Bell for what, 2 years? That's two very different things. And, why would anyone expect a public corporation to give a shit about anything other than the bottom line?

And, this is a business whose target audience is younger women. From a strictly business sense, why would they have a woman who is likely 60+ on a station chasing women half her age? That comment may sound cruel but let me flip it around. How many old timers go ape shit when some "young sprout" starts back announcing classic country and don't want them on the air?

Then again, what do I know. I don't listen to FM radio.

January 31, 2017 @ 7:18 PM

GUNTer

fucking hell I hope that Victor Malarek comment is NOT TRUE.

January 31, 2017 @ 7:20 PM

Jillian

Of course it's sad when anyone loses their job but really..what does she do? Introduce songs (that she never listens to)...read prepared scripts about upcoming live music events (that she never goes to)..announce traffic reports..repeat. Anyone out of radio school can do that for much, much less.

January 31, 2017 @ 7:27 PM

Brandon

@GUNTer In trying to see tonight if there's any news on Malarek, came across this prior book review. No idea he had such a challenging upbringing - wasn't that familiar with him beyond the name. Sad if a veteran journalist is shown the door.

January 31, 2017 @ 8:57 PM

Sadly, the Victor Malarek news is true. He was let go today.

January 31, 2017 @ 9:45 PM

Lucas

Anyone know if Amber Payie, CP24/CHUM FM traffic specialist since 2000, has been let go? She hasn't been active on Twitter since last Wednesday, and never said that she was taking a leave/vacay. Usually when she takes time off she tweets it out. Hoping that it was just a vacation and she will be back soon.

January 31, 2017 @ 11:09 PM

Irvine

@Brandon

With all due respect to Victor Malarek, this once again falls into the whole "adoration of celebrity". The general population adores the media guy that made it but "forgets everyone else" along the way.

A couple of years ago I was at a police station working on a native reserve. I had a black haired little girl come and sit next to me on the picnic bench. Her grandmother was there updating a file on a missing person (the little girls Mom). The little girl sat there and told me it was "all ok because her Mom would be home soon". The reality was her Mom was either dead or sold off into the sex trade. The kid chattered away. I looked up at the sky trying to hide my emotions.

While I was out doing that I'd wake up every fucking night in a sweat. Same dream. Women calling for me to help them, but I couldn't do anything. Meanwhile, the rest of society didn't give ONE SINGLE FUCK about any of it. It didn't even register, but oh MY if some rock singer died. And endless memorial to the singer & often they'd espouse how that singer had made them a "caring good human being". #right.

If you feel upset and sad some privileged broadcaster lost his job, then you come out with me you can tell a grandma & a 5 year old that Mom isn't coming back. Ever. She's probably raped, sold into the sex trade or dead and buried in a bog somewhere on Highway 16. Then, and only then tell me how "sad" it is some broadcaster got fired from their job.

January 31, 2017 @ 11:14 PM

Linda

Ingrid not only has a great voice and personality she is one of the most knowledgeable people out there in regards to music . She has been referred to by others in the industry as a musicologist because of her knowledge. I always thought that she was an important part of Chum and could often be heard on different time slots. She should hook up with Darrin if he's still looking for a couple host since Erin retired. Also a note that Chum has a traffic reporter named Ajwa in the afternoon who sounds like she has a bad cold and a mouthful of marbles. Can't understand a damn word she says...Ever.

February 1, 2017 @ 12:43 AM

Cheryl

Okay. I hate Bell. That's why I got rid of Bell and will never get them again. Anyway, you lose your job for no reason, that's another thing. Anyway, maybe Ingrid changed over the years and if I called her a couple months ago, maybe she would have been nicer. You never know.

February 1, 2017 @ 7:35 AM

Jimbo

Hi Linda. All true, but the key word is WAS an important part of CHUM. It's time for some fresh blood. And fyi, its not Darren "looking" for a host. It's CHFI. And btw, they hired Maureen Holloway weeks ago. If they had wanted Ingrid, they would have made her an offer months ago. As others have pointed out she is 60(+). And I totally agree with you on that afternoon traffic lady; she was on Z103.5 before CHUM-FM and that is exactly what I thought. I had forgot about her moving to CHUM. They don't...or won't (Bell Media) have 3 traffic people, so that does talk to the other person's comment asking about Amber Paiye? Interesting. Also long time employee and 50+.

February 1, 2017 @ 9:42 AM

GUNTer

@Irvine
These are two totally different things.
YOu don't get to tell people what to be sad about. Sad is relative.
An extremely sad story about a child not having a mother does not negate the fact that I am "sad" about Victor Malarak losing his job. I am also "sad" I have to get out of my pj's today to do some errands.
ps - why are your responses always so wordy? you need a tl;dr version

February 1, 2017 @ 10:02 AM

Patrick

Has there been a actual reason released/noted/told for Ingrid being fried or do we just know that she was unceremoniously let go?

I'm just curious if her, along with others that are floating about, are a part of this recently released news about Bell doing a round of layoffs across their media: http://www.citynews.ca/2017/01/31/bell-media-lays-off-employees-citing-industry-challenges/

February 1, 2017 @ 10:17 AM

GUNTer

for me, the problem is not that these people have been given the boot. that shit happens daily, but it is the WAY its done. what's the problem with letting them say goodbye (if they want to).

February 1, 2017 @ 10:20 AM

Shuttle

Unfortunately it's true...he was let go..

February 1, 2017 @ 11:15 AM

Lucas

@Jimbo Ajuwa moved to doing traffic for Bell long before any of this happened, so I dont think having 3 people on traffic duty would be the reason for Amber being let go, if that was the case.

As of today she's still not back on CP24... we could certainly have another story on our hands if they ended up giving her the boot too.

@Gunter 100% agree with you... its about the way people like Ingrid are being let go that isn't right, regardless of age or ratings like others have said on here. Its the way she was let go that as a company, makes Bell look really bad, and disrespects all that she has done for the station regardless of whether it was "her time to go" or not.

February 1, 2017 @ 1:15 PM

Brandon

@Irvine

Man, who knew "Victor Malarek" was such a "trigger" phrase for you? I didn't know much about the guy beyond the name and passing mention of the reputation, but being a fan of media and media figures (especially if they're local), if there's a vintage 1980s title about a hard-scrabble upbringing and busting through it, I'm likely to read it out of sheer curiosity if nothing else.

As for "sad", perhaps I should have chosen the word "unfortunate" or "regrettable". Figure of speech. I'm sure he'll land on his feet elsewhere continuing to do what he loves. I'm not sure how having a little compassion for a guy that this happened to requires your tale of witnessing some of life's hardships. There are relative degrees of anything, yes. Maybe you would have preferred I use the word "inconvenient" (for him).

February 1, 2017 @ 5:50 PM

Irvine

@Gunter: Oh please. You don't get to tell me how much my opinion matters either. And you, upset at the job loss of some wealthy broadcaster. How will you go on? How will you cope. Should I google the suicide line for you?

@Brandon. Are you that dense that you imagine Victor is a trigger? I mean really man. Yeah, cause oh wow, a broadcaster gets terminated and that's a trigger versus telling some 5 year old girl her Mom is probably floating in a bog on the Highway of Tears.

PS. I have compassion for most people. I don't have compassion for morons who get fixated on some broadcaster getting fired yet ignore the ugly reality of what the rest of the world has to deal with.

Tell you what @Brandon. The day some member of your FAMILY goes missing, I'll make sure I am so distraught my local media guy got fired I can't handle work that day. "I think my sister is trafficked and raped". "Sorry, my local media guy was fired, I'm too crushed to work.

tl:dr. Go FUCK yourself.

February 2, 2017 @ 2:24 AM

tvg

Broadcast Dialogue has published a more extensive list of Bell firings.
In its biggest round of layoffs since 2015, Bell Media has cut positions cross-country at its TV and radio stations. In a statement to Broadcast Dialogue, the company cites challenges it says Bell Media and other Canadian media companies are facing due to increasing international competition, the evolution of broadcast technologies, and advertising and regulatory pressure. Casualties include W5 investigate reporter Victor Malarek; CTV Vancouver anchor Coleen Christie; CHUM-FM Toronto midday host Ingrid Schumacher; CHOM Montreal morning co-host Heather Backman; CTV Okanagan reporter Kent Molgat; TSN Vancouver Whitecaps play by play voice Peter Schaad and BC Lions caller Scott Rintoul; CFAX 1070 AM Victoria morning co-host Steve Duffy; David Fisher, VP/GM for Bell’s Saskatchewan TV and radio stations; Don Mumford, VP/GM for Bell’s Southwestern Ontario stations; Gord Leighton, GM/GSM for Sun FM Vernon, EZ Rock in Salmon Arm, Revelstoke and Golden; Mark Burley, group program director for Bell Media’s 22 radio stations in the BC interior and his wife Janet Burley, GM for Astral Radio stations Sun FM 97.1, EZ Rock AM800 in Penticton, 98.5 EZ Rock Summerland and 102.9 EZ Rock Osoyoos.

February 2, 2017 @ 11:05 AM

Jimbo

Also Scott Lund, VP/GM CTV Northern Ontario.

February 2, 2017 @ 1:29 PM

Lucas

CONFIRMED: Amber Payie is still with CP24 :) Just taking some time off.

February 2, 2017 @ 4:22 PM

Anonymous

One of the best in the business who should have had AT LEAST a chance to say goodbye to the listeners. Ridiculous what has become of a once great station.

February 3, 2017 @ 10:40 PM

drivetimeRicky

Clearly a co-worker and/or someone who works at CHUM-FM. "One of the best..." Seriously? Hardly. Morning and PM drives are the "engines" of radio. She was stuck in a midday slot for what, 25 years? If she was, as you say, one of the best, she would have moved or been moved to AM or PM drive long ago. Even CHFI hired DBL over her.

February 4, 2017 @ 12:35 PM

Anonymous

@Irvine

Victor Malarek was one of the few reporters to write about the streets, particularly the sex trade (which he wrote a book about not that long ago, I think).

I'd rather have him in media than out, and he's not just a 'wealthy broadcaster' to me for that reason. (Plus, I have no idea what his net worth is).

Putting an old school journalist in the same category as a radio personality (no disrespect to her) is totally off base. It's because of people like him, who are unfortunately now few and far between, that sex workers and MMIW get any public attention at all.

February 5, 2017 @ 2:59 AM

Louise

She probably revealed she was a Trump supporter. I hate Bell. They also put a big crappy looking green box on our front lawn for Bell Fibe. We tried to ask them to move it and they basically said too bad. Bell sucks BIG time.

February 10, 2017 @ 1:08 PM

Jacquie

@Irvine Talk about drawing a False Equivalency!
Nobody is saying a broadcaster losing their job compares to the examples you cite. But what the HELL is your point? This is a site about BROADCASTING & Job Changes. That is what we comment on here.
And as to Victor Malarek? If you'd followed his lengthy & impressive Broadcast Career? You'd find that he's COVERED MANY stories like the one you're harping on about in this - an ENTIRELY INAPPROPRIATE FORUM for it. Soooo, get back on to the topic at hand? Or find yourself a MMIW or Crime Forum to drone on in.
And before you reply? I've HAD a member of my family murdered. Don't even start your shit with me.

February 10, 2017 @ 1:25 PM

Donna Smalling

Hey Ingrid,

When one door closes aanother one opens for the better, good luck.

February 10, 2017 @ 3:49 PM

l

Will no longer be listening to chum fm!

February 21, 2017 @ 9:07 AM

Jane

Disgraceful ! Will no longer be listening to chum.

February 21, 2017 @ 9:10 AM

Daniel Francis

Maura Grierson from Virgin Radio Toronto was probably second. She's now probably the longest on-air personality that has been on the same Toronto station now that Ingrid is no longer with CHUM FM Maura was there before the station was rebranded Mix FM in 2006.

February 27, 2017 @ 12:26 AM