Favourite Episodes of Toronto Mike'd in 2016

I haven't recorded a new episode of Toronto Mike'd in two weeks and I miss it. I'll make up for that brief pause with at least five new episodes before the end of the year, including visits by Bob Elliott, Denise Donlon, James Mirtle and Sean Fitz-Gerald.

This break has given me a chance to look back on the episodes recorded in 2016. I averaged more than one episode a week, and there were dozens of fantastic conversations, but here are my five favourite episodes of Toronto Mike'd in 2016.

Maestro Fresh-Wes

I had worked on getting Maestro to visit for years before his visit in September. I was a big fan and it was a delight having such one-on-one time with Wes. In a sense, the 200+ episodes could have been a ruse to make this 90 minutes possible.

Maestro Fresh Wes and me

Listen Here

Ron Hawkins

Much like Maestro, I was a huge fan of Lowest of the Low. To this day, Shakespeare My Butt gets played in my house and every episode of my podcast closes with Rosy and Grey from that same album. Ron was everything I'd hoped he would be.

20160524_123530

Listen Here

Ron MacLean

Speaking of Rons who did not disappoint, Ron MacLean was incredible. He's been the face of Hockey Night in Canada for as long as I can remember and having him visit my basement to field my questions still blows my mind.

Ron MacLean and Me

Listen Here

Bob Elliott

Back when I had a commute to work, I'd listen to Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown and wish the two minutes with Bob Elliott were two hours. On a cold day in December, I got what I wanted. Bob visited me and shared baseball stories for two hours and it was everything I had hoped it would be.

Bob Elliott and Me

Listen Here

Emm Gryner

This one, was personal. Emm is a tremendous musician and great conversationalist, but i needed this episode for purely selfish reasons. This one was for Mike Kic.

Emm Gryner and Me

Listen Here

Rob J

I know you didn't throw it out there as a question, but my 5 fave guests of 2016 were: Marty, Elvis, Vic, 1236, and Retrontario.

December 15, 2016 @ 6:04 PM

Blind Dave

The faves are all purely subjective so lets just say the guest list has been a delight.

This is my favourite podcast, bar none.

December 15, 2016 @ 6:28 PM

mdoucette77

Meant to ask after the Emm Gryner episode: in the episode you referenced and played tracks from an Emm Gryner cover album I believe (if I'm mistaking Emm with another female artist you interviewed...sorry). What was the name of that album and where can it be purchased? The tracks you played were awesome!

December 15, 2016 @ 6:34 PM

Rob J

(Offering my list was for entertainment purposes only, and not meant to disparage anyone else's faves nor to imply that the other guests had no entertainment or educational value)

December 15, 2016 @ 8:13 PM

Jody Thornton

I listened to the Emm Gryner eppy only in the last few weeks. Weird how they were talking about David Bowie, only to have him die the next day. Big big fan of Weissblott episodes (I'm working on an impression of him - I think I've got it nailed down ...lol) and I've started listening back to some Elvis episodes. He does have a lot to say.

December 15, 2016 @ 8:57 PM

@mdoucette77

That album from Emm is called Girl Versions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_Versions

"Waiting Room" (Fugazi)
"Crazy Train" (Ozzy Osbourne)
"Pour Some Sugar On Me" (Def Leppard)
"For What Reason" (Death Cab for Cutie)
"Straight to Hell" (The Clash)
"Song 2" (Blur)
"Straight to You" (Nick Cave)
"Big Bang Baby" (Stone Temple Pilots)
"Sea Song" (Robert Wyatt)
"The Day We Hit the Coast" (Thrush Hermit)

December 16, 2016 @ 8:59 AM

Beatts

Liza Fromer, Anne Mroczkowski, Sophia Jurksztowicz, Joanne Wilder, Patty Sullivan were all tops on my list.

The ladies brought it this year.

Great interviews

December 16, 2016 @ 10:58 AM

@Beatts

Those were all great convos. And Christine Bentley, Kate Wheeler, Avery Haines, Stephanie Smyth, Ingrid Schumacher, Jackie Redmond, Caroline Cameron, Hazel Mae, and Liz West.

I have a follow-up post planned for most revealing episodes. Anne's definitely on that one...

December 16, 2016 @ 11:05 AM

Beatts

I still have a few on that list to check out Mike, looking forward to any follow ups

December 16, 2016 @ 1:20 PM

Blind Dave

@Rob J

I saw my comment sandwiched between your two comments. In no way was I concerned about anyone's faves. It's all a personal choice, and yes, Mike has had a few guests I have zero interest in.

My apologies if my comment was poorly worded.

December 16, 2016 @ 9:35 PM