Mike Richards Leaves TSN Radio 1050

This isn't exactly breaking news, but I was away for a couple of weeks and didn't get a chance to write about Mike Richards' departure from TSN Radio 1050 when it was announced last Monday. Here's Mike's farewell tweet about the big change.

It's being spun as a mutual parting of ways between Mike Richards and TSN Radio. The writing was on the wall in February when Mike Richards was moved from mornings to 1-4pm. When you're making major market morning show money, they won't keep you at 1pm. You can ask Greg Brady about that.

You may recall Mike Richards was recruited back to Toronto from Calgary's Fan 960 (where he was working with Andrew Walker) by TSN when they launched their first radio station at 1050. Desired ratings never materialized and a little over five years later the experiment is over.

On January 13, Mike Richards visited my home for three hours. We recorded the first two hours and then shot the shit off the record for another hour. He seemed incredibly authentic and willing to share all. He told me things during that episode he had never said in public and left me with a completely new level of respect for the man. We've kept in touch ever since.

Here's the episode if you missed it. It's particularly interesting in retrospect.

2016-01-13_01-04-32

For whatever reason, Mike Richards never succeeded at TSN Radio, but he's quite the character with personality to spare and I'm sure he'll be just fine. Once he's able to speak freely, I'll be sure to have him back on.

Currently, TSN Radio is listing a show entitled "TSN 1050 Today" at 1pm. I'm sure that's temporary and a new show will be unveiled shortly. Never a dull moment on the Toronto sports media scene. Stay tuned.

Jody Vance

Huge fan of Mike's work. Uber talent.

We will stay tuned. TSN Radio's loss.

August 29, 2016 @ 12:56 AM

Cambo

Such is radio. Bitch of a business.

August 29, 2016 @ 10:33 AM

Daniel

Wasn't a fan of his schtick but compared to Blundell (whom I loved on the edge) he was much better.

Maybe I'm just getting old and crotchety but I'm not really a fan of most sports radio hosts now. The only 2 I will go out of my way to listen to are McCowan and Naylor. and even Bob's not been around much and has had a string of uninspiring guests

August 29, 2016 @ 2:36 PM

Kevin J

Right now TSN Radio is really hard to tune into. And too bad for the listeners that actually like the station. This summer has really been a shit show there and I guess the bosses on TSN Radio really don't give a rats ass what they put on the air.

I liked listening to Richards and I hope he resurfaces soon, and outside of the hockey hosts, this station is crap. A year ago I loved it, and now I rarely put it on.

August 29, 2016 @ 11:03 PM

Dan Hurst

Such a huge loss for TSN radio. I tried to give the new morning guys a shot, but it was just terrible. Jeff O'Neill and company is currently the only show worth listening to. Might be time just to switch to podcasts. While not as convenient, I can listen to what I like and what entertains me... something the folks at TSN Radio are failing to provide.

August 30, 2016 @ 3:51 PM

Sam in Pickering

I actually didn't care much for Mike Richards until I heard him on your podcast and then I started listening regularly. He'll be missed.

August 30, 2016 @ 4:00 PM

Brian

Another nail in the coffin of Toronto sports radio! Mike was both entertaining and informed, two traits that appear to threaten management at TSN. Was his health a contributing issue to their moves? If so shame on you TSN and the sponsors who buy your time. I'm back to WGR 550 except for Bob Mc 590 afternoon drive.

August 31, 2016 @ 2:17 PM

GDB

The Fan or is it Sportsnet Radio?.....has been slowly digressing to the point that I can't listen anymore. McCown was starting to sound good again and then Damian Cox came back. I just can't listen to that guy.

What is happening to both sports stations??? So bad and getting worse.

On a final note...I really liked Mike Richards on your podcast but for some reason on the air he did not resonate as much for me. Was he directed to tone it down? I am looking forward to Mike Richards Part II on your podcast.

September 1, 2016 @ 8:19 AM

My podcast is what Mike Richards would sound like without restraints. Terrestrial radio is full of restraints.

When he left my home, I felt like he'd be back to help me move the next Saturday if I needed more muscle.

September 1, 2016 @ 8:29 AM

Overdrive

My TSN favs are Overdrive (Hayes, Noodles & O'Dog) and Leafs Lunch (Andi Petrillo).

Richards was fine & I do like Mike Hogan.

The only TSN host who really turns me off is Gareth Wheeler. He too easily flips between both ends of an opinion. Too loud. Too obnoxious. Too full of himself. Won't let others talk. LOL, yep, I really could do without this guy.

p.s. & TSN. do us all a favour & lose Dave Feschuk.

September 1, 2016 @ 8:33 AM

Neil Clarke Warren

It boggles that Richards is out of a job...(paid off rather well I assume) but, that goof producer Sean and Richards personal "laugh track" still has a job.Can only assume minimum wage jobs do play a big part in today's radio.

September 1, 2016 @ 10:09 AM

another steve

Well said, GDB.

Majority of my time listening to sports radio is now out of market, mostly via SiriusXM.

1050 & 590 are pretty much unlistenable.
Regardless of the station, the redundancy of topics is staggering.
With the exception of three (Tatti, Blair & Brunt) the content is often nothing more than pointless ramblings from addled minded hosts, co-hosts and/or guest hosts.

Given that Toronto is the biggest city/market in Canada, and the 4th largest city in North America, it's both a farce and shambolic that neither Bell or Rogers can operate, create or produce quality sports radio for the sports fans in Toronto/GTA.

I'll certainly be tuning in to catch Tatti on 1150 next week.
With Brunt returning next week, I'll catch a bit of him with Blair when Dan Patrick's show is running commercials.

September 1, 2016 @ 4:36 PM

Rooster

I listened to Mike Richards in Calgary, when I was in high school, and loved Mike's show. I went to Edmonton for university and Mike moved over to Bell in Toronto, so I had to download podcasts and audio clips, but out of Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto (can't comment on the other cities) Mike's show was my favourite.

I still live in Edmonton and I'm almost 30, but I choose to stream 1050 in Toronto mainly because of Mike's show (Overdrive is pretty good too). But wherever Mike pops up (hopefully in Alberta) that's the station that I will probably migrate to.

September 6, 2016 @ 3:04 PM

tom

I really liked him. Music he blended in was great. The best, when he did the Fake Jim Rome Show. I laughed out loud going to work. Would like to know how Lansberg stays around? Must have great pictures.

September 6, 2016 @ 10:39 PM

TONY

He was my favorite funny,clever, loved his sports and music.
Great impressions, made me laugh in the mornings going to work.
Nailer and Landsberg are awful what the hell is a Cauz terrible.

September 8, 2016 @ 5:58 PM

John

Wasn't a big fan of Mike's but I would sooner listen to him than anyone at Fan 590. Overdrive is great. And I love Naylor but I don't get to hear him now that he's on the morning show. McCown and his stooges especially Damien Cox, Jeff Blair are morons who I can't stand to listen to. While on this note- Why does Mike Wilner still have a job

September 9, 2016 @ 2:43 PM

John

September 9, 2016 @ 2:43 PM

MBone

I'm not sure what the thinking is in the Sports radio sphere in Toronto. It seems to me that the people who make the decisions on who will be on air, actually have NO clue as to what the listeners want or like. Seriously, it is so frustrating to listen to. Thank God for Satellite radio!! Both stations' morning shows are very difficult to listen to. The morning show on TSN radio. Is absolutely unlistenable. Who hires these people??!!? I love Andi Petrillo, but I can't listen to her on Leafs Lunch. The Fan is nearly unlistenable at all times, although, I hate to admit it, I don't mind the afternoon as much.
Mike Hogan....? Sorry. I'm sure he's a great guy but he shouldn't be on the air. Football talk incessantly is not interesting.
When Hayes and O'Neill were on at lunch it was the best thing in radio in Toronto.
Toronto Sports Radio Sucks! With or without Mike Richards. Until the idiots in Management learn how to hire on air staff that are actually good and don't try so hard to have a personality, it will unfortunately remain like this. Tim and Sid....ugh probably the worst on the air! TV or radio!

September 12, 2016 @ 1:13 PM

Matt from Newmarket

I was wondering where Mike Richards had gone and then I searched and found this article. Truthfully, I stopped listening to TSN 1050 once Mike Richards left the morning show which is most unfortunate. He would make me laugh in the mornings and was fairly knowledgable in sports, which is rare to find. But anyways, the new morning show is brutal, leafs lunch stinks, and how do Cauz and Wheeler still have a job? I guess the talent pool is pretty bad.

Huge sports city and the two AM radio stations are similar, repetitive and lack quality content. Poor managment.

And one last thing, I guess you don't need to be a sports guy to host #blundellandcompany

September 29, 2016 @ 4:11 PM

Sergio from Toronto

Hello,

Disappointed to learn Mike Richards is gone from the afternoon slot. I enjoyed listening to his segment he brought some humor, laughter and knowledge to TSN. Bell should have dismissed Caz he an idiot who rambles on about nothing of interest to sports programming. I don't like to see people lose their job, but if you wish to improve Fall / Spring ratings consider get rid of Caz

October 16, 2016 @ 5:58 PM

Brooklin Rob

What a shame! Mike was THE best host on an otherwise crappy AM lineup. you had to know however that given some of the stunts he pulled off on morning radio, stodgy old TSN execs wouldn't have him for long.

I already complained about the current morning lineup with Nalor and Landsberg, which fell on deaf ears as these guys are terrible followed by THE WORST hosts in radio in Matt Cauz(sp??) and Wheeler.....BRUTAL!

My TSN radio only comes on now for Hayes, Noodles and the Odog.....otherwise it's off and replaced by my Apple Music.

Sorry to see you go Mike and hopefully your health returns to you and you land on a station that appreciates your talents. You are missed!!!

October 18, 2016 @ 2:43 PM

Corey

Loved Mike in the morning, and gave new hosts a shot but they are terrible . When O'Neil left leafs lunch time slot , don't listen to then either. Some bad choices weremade from my point of view.

November 10, 2016 @ 12:38 PM

Mac

Please, please TSN. Get rid of Wheeler. He absolutely SUCKS!!!. He kind of makes Blair on the Fan more listenable.

November 18, 2016 @ 10:12 AM

Rob yeffahc

I came over to TSN 1050 after the other sports station brought on that frat boy clown dean. Mr. Richards was honest , hilarious and intelligent. I do not enjoy the new morning show. Back to 640!

November 21, 2016 @ 7:28 AM

Bruce in Mimico

Honest to God I could not believe my ears when Matt Cauz tells listeners Mike Richards is gone from TSN. Well, I knew TSN had dropped the ball moving him to 1-4 in favour of the two current, unfunny and uninteresting hosts - who remind us daily of their own accomplishments - it was one of those moments that you'll always remember. Not quite 9/11 or where-were-you-when-Kennedy-got-shot moments you'll never forget, but pretty fuckin close. Mike was the reason I listened to radio. Let me repeat that - Mike Richards is the reason I listened to radio (past tense now). Always interacting with the listeners (I dare the current guys to take my call) and always coming out with something genuinely hilarious, Mike simply had the best show I have ever heard in Toronto radio. I'm 53 and a sales rep and have literally driven a million miles in my car listening to radio so I think I know what I speak. To those dicks at TSN best of luck with your current weak programming. To Mike, God Bless, you made my day every day and thank you for bringing some laughter in to my life every day. As Victor would say, You are very special to me.

January 27, 2017 @ 7:53 AM

Anonymous

Wondered what happened - Mike was the best of all of 'em - now I change the station literally every morning not long after Naylor starts bleeding his insecurities of trying to prove his worth with so many "I's" and "me's" or how much he knows or has done - Landsberg is a much better complement with Cauz guesting but still really 'out there' with his weirdness and pushy opinions

February 3, 2017 @ 9:53 AM

Tequila Elvis in Toronto

Bring back Mike Richards in the Morning .... and Candice too - loved them together - they should never have moved him - Naylor was much better on TV when he couldn't talk too much - Landsberg is a good man he just gets too personal, political and opinionated .... understatement indeed

Please bring back Mike!!!!!!!!!!

February 3, 2017 @ 10:00 AM

Trachy

Toronto morning sports radio so bad now. We need Mike back so we can once again listen to Bob Cole Chicks I like.

February 17, 2017 @ 12:28 AM

Norton Bullinski

Really miss Mike from his Calgary days on the Fan 960. Come back "West" Mike!

November 16, 2017 @ 8:08 PM

H.o.E.

^ You say you "miss" him, as though there's something preventing you from hearing him. You know he's been doing an hour-long podcast with co-host Dave Bastl every weekday for the last few months, right? (Well, most weekdays, with an occasional day or week off). If you don't know, his website is RawMikeRichards.com .

Terrestrial radio and TSN 1050 in particular have gotten worse because they have had to cut back expenses to avoid losing so much money as they continue to lose listeners and advertisers, which means getting rid of their best (and therefore most highly paid) on-air talent like Mike Richards. That means keeping only the lower paid ones or putting "canned" (usually American) programming on the air for talk stations, and pre-programmed DJ-less music on music stations. I personally don't understand how any music stations exist in 2017, other than maybe for techno-phobic senior citizens who are afraid of any other way they could listen to music. Why would anyone want to listen entirely to songs someone chooses for them?

November 17, 2017 @ 7:32 AM

Bob in Chicago area

I listened to Mike online when he had his show in Calgary. He had hilarious bits with Pete Mahr & the crew.

The timing with his show out of Toronto didn't work for me, so didn't get a chance to hear what was going on.

Really missed Mike's Calgary show. I haven't been a frequent listener to any sports radio since then......a decade or more????

November 25, 2017 @ 8:59 PM