Dean Blundell New Fan 590 Morning Man

A tip of the hat to TSM for some solid sleuth work today. It seems Dean Blundell is returning to mornings on Toronto radio, becoming the new morning man at The Fan 590.

Greg Brady (hear him on episode 76 of my podcast) will move to 1-4pm as Tim and Sid leave radio for a television-only show.

It seems Andrew Walker (hear him on episode 87 of my podcast) will remain on the morning show, but it won't be called Blundell and Walker. Make no mistake about it, this is Dean Blundell's morning show. It will be called "Dean Blundell & Co."

Blundell's longtime morning show on Edge 102 ended a little over a year ago. It was well covered here. Check out these links for a recap:

Based on TSM's tip, I touched base from some people in the know, and it seems like this is happening. I expect it to be confirmed this afternoon.

What do you think of these changes? Will you listen to Dean Blundell on The Fan 590?

Update: All of the above has been confirmed.

Al The Royal Pain

I reposted this from open mike since it's more relevant here:

I hate this move. I don't give a shi*t about Blundell, I barely listened to the fan in the morning, now I'll definitely not listen.

The bigger mistake will be getting rid of Tim & Sid from the radio. To me, it's the best show on the radio anywhere in Toronto. Hopefully they'll still have their podcast.

So to me the Fan is now the Bob McCown station and the odd raptors/leafs game.

I understand the need to improve ratings in the morning, but why would you ruin your afternoons to do it?

January 20, 2015 @ 11:55 AM

Odd move. I would have kept Brady and Walker in the morning and have Blundell take over S&T. Blundell's demo would be similar to S&T's.

January 20, 2015 @ 12:04 PM

Mike Gamble

Big mistake moving Tim and Sid to TV only.
I get they are popular and do well on TV but their main audience is radio and twitter.

I always listen to them and it's much easier to listen to something while working then it is to watch on TV.
I'm sure Brady will be fine but I won't be tuning in to hear him.

I will find something else.

January 20, 2015 @ 12:06 PM

Mat Rockswell

The last thing we needed was Blundell and his shock-jock schtick back on the radio. I didn't agree with a tonne of Brady and Walker's sentiments but they put together an entertaining show and they never seemed to be anything but honest(albeit misguided when it came to some topics). Moving tim and Sid is a poor choice as well, but probably based on the fact Rogers sees them as not cashing in on that brand enough. Meddling never works.

January 20, 2015 @ 12:08 PM

Why are T&S not the morning show, unless it was theirs to turn down.

They had to do something with the morning show.

January 20, 2015 @ 12:17 PM

Blundell is pure garbage, anyone who gives him a job is also pure garbage. Brady and Walker were great, didn't always agree with them but that's what makes for good sports radio. They were always entertaining unlike the Tripe that Blundell will bring. Blundell is pure scum.

January 20, 2015 @ 12:18 PM

I heard Todd Shapiro on TSN1050 a few weeks back and what shocked me was I thought he was awesome. Blundell may surprise people as well. Mike?

January 20, 2015 @ 12:33 PM

What a terrible move by Kollins. Brady and Walker in my opinion was the best show on Toronto sports radio. Was skeptical when they got rid of Jim Lang but Walker and Brady have turned out to have amazing chemistry. They’re going to break that up for…Dean Blundell!?!? Dumb, fake, and grotesque Blundell? I HATED That 102.1 morning show. What a shame. Never thought I’d switch over to boring Mike Richards but that’s a distinct possibility now. Tim & Sid were also very popular and now they’re gone from radio. Wonderful. Kollins is a genius! Let’s not forget how down the drain PTS has gone lately with all the FOBs and Bob himself clearly mailing it in and putting in no effort. At least the FAN 590 has local sports overnight shows! Oh wait! Kollins got rid of that too!!!!

RIP 590

January 20, 2015 @ 12:36 PM

Blundell wasn't listenable when he only had to talk for a few minutes between shitty music. How is he supposed to support hours and hours of talking five days a week about topics he has zero history of background in? He has never played sports and has never had journalism training.

January 20, 2015 @ 12:38 PM

Tsn radio will be increasing it's listenership, this move is absolutely brutal. Blundell brings zero credibility, Brady and Walker work well together.

January 20, 2015 @ 12:52 PM

Jason from Sudbury

I'm listening to Tim and Sid right now, and yeah they just said their last day is March 27th. That really fucking sucks cause I actually like their show.

January 20, 2015 @ 1:06 PM

Jason from Sudbury

I am actually surprised that the Fan is getting rid of Tim And Sid though.

January 20, 2015 @ 1:10 PM

Al The Royal Pain

They're not getting rid of Tim & Sid, they're being moved to TV only. Here is the announcment:

I just hope they keep the T&S podcast, or else I won't be able to listen.

January 20, 2015 @ 1:21 PM

Brady signed off this morning with a "we will see ya when we see ya". Thought it was odd and made me wonder if something was up. Unfortunate on two fronts - Brady and walker worked well together. Breaking them up seems like a bad idea. And Blundell.....I don't get it ....

January 20, 2015 @ 1:22 PM

Dave I

Oh good you're going to dumb it down.

Blundell is an idiot.
Tim & Sid have faces for radio, but maybe they will look ok in Low-Def.

McCown and the Jays broadcasts are now the only reason to listen.

January 20, 2015 @ 1:22 PM

Brady and walker are the worst thing on the airwaves know to man. The bicker over one-another like to old women.
Sad to see tim and sid move to TV, they have set the bar hight for those taking over that time slot.

I bet Dean will do a great job, its a different demographic, he will be less edgy to please to the teeny boppers with poo and ass jokes. He did fine for the week he was on 1010 ? (Think it was 1010 am ) I am looking forward to hearing him.

January 20, 2015 @ 1:24 PM

Sportsnet Bolsters TV and Radio Lineup

Tim & Sid Moving to TV; New Morning Show, Dean Blundell & Co., to Debut on Sportsnet 590 The FAN

TORONTO (January 20, 2015) Sportsnet today announced exciting additions to its radio and TV lineups beginning this spring, as Tim Micallef and Sid Seixeiro –co-hosts of the immensely popular sports-talk radio show Tim & Sid – will be moving to television, while the new radio morning show Dean Blundell & Co. will be debuting on Sportsnet 590 The FAN.

Tim & Sid’s move to television will be headlined by a new show, airing weekdays from 5 to 7 p.m. ET on Sportsnet, starting July 1.  Details of the new show will be announced in the coming months.  The duo, whose last radio show airs March 27, will make special appearances on other Sportsnet programming throughout the spring.

“Tim & Sid are tremendous stars – they’ve revolutionized sports talk radio with their innovative format and infectious personalities,” said Scott Moore, President, Sportsnet & NHL Properties, Rogers.  “This is the natural next step for them, and it increases our television offering by creating a new type of late afternoon sports program. I can’t wait to see what they do.”

On the radio side, Dean Blundell joins Sportsnet 590 The FAN to co-host the new morning show, Dean Blundell & Co., alongside Andrew Walker. Dean Blundell & Co. debuts on March 2, and will air weekdays from 5:30 to 9 a.m. ET. Greg Brady, co-host of the current morning show Brady & Walker, will take over the 1 to 4 p.m. ET timeslot previously hosted by Tim & Sid, starting March 30.

“Sportsnet 590 The FAN is the number one sports radio station in Toronto,” said Moore. “With the addition of a big talent in Dean Blundell to host our morning show, a ratings winner in Greg Brady taking over early afternoons, all capped off in the evenings with Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown – the top sports radio show in the country – we’re well positioned to continue to dominate in this market.”

Starting this spring, the new weekday lineup for Sportsnet 590 The FAN is as follows:

5:30 – 9 a.m. ET – Dean Blundell & Co.
9 a.m. – Noon ET – The Jeff Blair Show
Noon – 1 p.m. ET – Hockey Central @ Noon
1 – 4 p.m. ET – Greg Brady
4 – 7 p.m. ET – Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown

January 20, 2015 @ 1:24 PM

Really, Rogers? This is the best you could do?

So disappointing...

January 20, 2015 @ 1:28 PM

If I'm TSN radio, I'm going after Brady and Walker when their contracts come up (either for the morning or the drive home).

January 20, 2015 @ 1:28 PM

Al The Royal Pain

I realize that this is a promotion for T&S, but for me, if they don't also have a podcast, I won't be able to listen to their new show so I'm not happy about this change.

I'd rather they went to TSN Radio.

January 20, 2015 @ 1:30 PM

I'm ok with the Blundell move. It is the Tim&Sid move that i'm not a fan of. They have the best show on The FAN. I'd rather see them move into Mccown's slot, as he is old and tired.

January 20, 2015 @ 1:31 PM

This is a real head-scratcher. To be honest I probably won't even give Blundell a chance as he wore out his welcome on Edge a long time ago. I will miss Brady and Walker as they were a good listen for the drive in to work. As for Tim and Sid, I'm sure the move to tv will only help Sid's attempts at a daytime Emmy.

January 20, 2015 @ 1:32 PM

Al The Royal Pain

While I still enjoy PTS, I always thought that T&S would be a natural option to replace Bob once he retired/left. I realize Bob's demographic skews older (and richer) but as that demographic ages, the T&S demo would take their place.

January 20, 2015 @ 1:39 PM

Wow. Blundell getting a sports radio job on morning radio? I'm shocked.
Tim & Sid are very entertaining. I can't imagine any reason for taking them off radio.

January 20, 2015 @ 1:50 PM

I found it funny that in your podcast with Elliotte Friedman, after he said Bobcat wanted Humble and Fred for the morning spot on 590, you said "now they want Dean Blundell!"

January 20, 2015 @ 3:01 PM

DBS fans rejoice!!!!! Adrian doing the sports scores. Psychic Nikki making predictions....Can't be worse than Q107, Fred or that Indy station is it?

January 20, 2015 @ 3:04 PM

m m

How do the demographics overlap for 102 and the Fan?
I don't, and won't listen to this douche's show, whatever the platform. Perhaps the next logical step for him would be SunTV.

January 20, 2015 @ 3:16 PM

@m m

Both 102 and 590 target men. That was Blundell's sweet spot.

I'm sure 590 would like his old audience, and is pleased to skew younger.

January 20, 2015 @ 3:20 PM

Prediction: In one year we'll be looking at this as the "Blundell Blunder." Brady returns to mornings, and someone from the Ben Ennis/Rob Wong/Jeff Sammut/George Rusic stache gets a shot from 1-4.

January 20, 2015 @ 3:45 PM

m m

That's true, that's the risk/opportunity for the Fan. I don't think the older part of the audience will be into his shtick, although they will still tune into other programs and live game casts.

January 20, 2015 @ 3:50 PM

Didn't they already try something like this a few years ago with Andrew Krystal? How did that turn out??

January 20, 2015 @ 4:04 PM

Robbie D

I listened to Dean for years on The Edge, and it did get a little schlocky towards the end. IMHO, Dean is a marked improvement to Brady (a friend of Dean's i believe?). I'm going to give it a go, everybody loves a story about redemption... Go get 'em, Deaner!

January 20, 2015 @ 4:50 PM

How do racist and homophobic jokes and jabs at the mentally ill fit with sports radio???

January 20, 2015 @ 4:54 PM

I didn't mind Dean on the Edge which IMO was the best morning show with rock/alternative music.

Towards the end it became a little unbearable where it seemed he became more of a prick and the combination of Billie/Derek never really worked.

When he did guest spots on the Fan 590 earlier in 2014 I didn't enjoy it all the much. He didn't provide any in depth discussion or showed a great deal of sports IQ. I heard he had a deal in place for awhile, hopefully he has did his home work and will be a better this time around.

I typically hate sports radio, but at least with all the sensationalism of it, most talking heads are big time sports fans. They can draw upon watching experience through their teens and childhoods and relate their experiences of sports to a younger audience. Dean never has given me the impression to have grown up a fan of sports. I don't think he has the ability to expand much out of hockey and not too far out of the last decade.

Hopefully he surprises me.

Tim and Sid are going where they belong. Great chemistry and they're entertaining. Sid suffers from the radio host sensationalise everything syndrome but that wont (or at least) shouldn't matter all that much on television.

January 20, 2015 @ 5:00 PM

I got tired of his immature banter on 102 but I also think he's really smart and talented so he will change his style to fit sports radio. I don't think they hired him to lure his previous Edge listeners- based on the calls he used to get they were (mostly) brainless idiots.
Mike- you interviewed Andrew Walker. How do you think he'll do with Blundell on the air?

January 20, 2015 @ 5:02 PM

Walker is young. And based on our hour together, he seems passionate about radio and eager to improve. I suspect he'll adapt nicely.

January 20, 2015 @ 5:04 PM

Blundell---- CLICK
Hockey Central-- Click- rather listen to O-DOG
McCowan- Click
590 The Fan---- The odd Jays game

Humble and Fred Always Burleigh Falls -------- Always

January 20, 2015 @ 5:43 PM

I have never listen to Brady & "fill in the blank" so I have no idea what his style is like. Tim & Sid are great, why move them to TV only and opposite PTS.

Does this mean that starting July 1 PTS won't be on TV anymore?

A lot of the guests on Tim & Sid, are also co-hosts on PTS or would do hits on Connected. Who are they going to have on the show? Is the 6pm version of Sportsnet Central done?

January 20, 2015 @ 6:21 PM

I believe the program director was the same one that put McCown's show on from 3:00 to 6:00 and then repeated the first hour between 6:00 and 7:00. I remember thinking how stupid that was. Seems like history is about to repeat itself

January 20, 2015 @ 6:27 PM

Derringer did mornings there too, if memory serves correct he didn't fair all that well.

Rogers do not have the midas touch with anything lately, worse comes to worse he can host HNIC.

January 20, 2015 @ 6:44 PM

I'm amazed that there are 40+ comments about Dean Blundell over here. Meanwhile, the Southern Ontario-Western NY Radio Forum (seemingly inhabited by embittered former radio types and folks obsessed with what goes on over at 640-CFMJ and 1010-CFRB ) has a mere 8 posts so far. I figured they would be having conniptions about this over there.

I only listen to CJCL for the Blue Jays and occasionally Bob McCown on the way home from work. But I used to listen to Dean Blundell on CFNY (albeit reluctantly at times). I can't picture it working on CJCL.

January 20, 2015 @ 7:18 PM

TSN radio must be loving this.

TSN radio have their problems also. Brady & Walker were good & knew sports, Mike Richards on TSN & his sidekick are terrible too busy talking gambling, booze & women.
The only reason Richards is still there is with daily comments with Maguire & Dreger every morning.

Blundell a poor choice for morning show - should be Tim & Sid.

January 20, 2015 @ 7:48 PM

Sam in Pickering

Brady and Walker were great. This is a big mistake.

I learn 100x more about Toronto radio from Mike's podcast than anything at SOWNY.

January 20, 2015 @ 7:55 PM

A lot of people on message boards rip Don Kollins for some reason. But, I have to say, I think the current Fan lineup with Brady, Blair and Tim/Sid is miles better than Stellick/Landry, Hogan, Swirsky was.

It'll be interested to see how it goes with Blundell. The Fan is not The Edge, so I'm sure it'll be quite a different show. A lot of people seem to hate this move, but he did have massive ratings for The Edge. We'll see!

January 20, 2015 @ 8:04 PM

Eekan Boo

Dan mentioned Swirsky. That made me chuckle. Swirsky: what a sorry example of a broadcaster.

I can only assume it's the "car crash/must look" syndrome that keeps him employed.

January 20, 2015 @ 11:01 PM

It's a misnomer that he had massive ratings at the edge, especially the last few years. The numbers were getting pretty soft.

January 21, 2015 @ 1:43 AM

Is The Fan trying to help TSN radio ratings? This makes no sense at all....especially Tim and Sid.

January 21, 2015 @ 5:55 AM

A few years ago......Kollins put McCown on from 3 to 6 and then repeated the first hour at 6:00. That is prime listening time and they were repeating the first hour.....3 hours later. What major market or any market talk radio station does that???

January 21, 2015 @ 6:12 AM

James Edgar

Wow. I like Brady and Walker in the mornings i thought they had pretty good chemistry.Mind you i flip between MP3's,590 820 ,CBC 1 and even 640 occasionally on my commute. I may have hot 1050 once. But I'm not sure.

I disliked blundell from day 1 on the edge ,BUT loved H&F so I concede that i was very biased.

I'll give it a listen but It will have to be pretty great for me to be a regular.

Tim & Sid was a great show as well i can't quite understand the switch. I will miss them for sure.

January 21, 2015 @ 9:06 AM

This has disaster written all over it. Yikes!

January 21, 2015 @ 9:22 AM

Al Reda

Hmmm. I'm surprised Rogers would hire Blundell. I can't imagine this was a popular decision internally.

At least nobody was fired to make this happen. There's a silver lining there.

January 21, 2015 @ 9:25 AM

Disappointed fan

They got rid of Lang so they could do something with the morning show. Now it's walker's fault. Common denominator is Brady - he's just not good.

Blundell is horrible and Tim and Sid was the best show on that network.

Time to switch to TSN.

January 21, 2015 @ 10:00 AM

I guess I'm in the minority again. I'm not usually in my car during Tim & Sid's show but the few times I did listen to it was almost painful. They seem to try too hard to be funny and their forced outrage on irrelevant topics seem rehearsed.

I don't mind Sid on his own when he's filling in for Bob but with Tim, they remind me too much of those guys in high school who some thought were funny but the rest of us just laughed AT them.

January 21, 2015 @ 10:29 AM

590 lost me in the morning after Landry and Hogan were split up.

January 21, 2015 @ 12:42 PM

Couldn't agree more Argie.

January 21, 2015 @ 1:58 PM

@Reality - I'm not a Blundell defender, but after a quick google I didn't see anything about his ratings softening at The Edge. Maybe that info is out there I don't know. According to this there was a massive drop off after he left though:

January 21, 2015 @ 3:59 PM

I guess I'm one of the few people who actually enjoyed Blundell on the Edge. I almost feel like a Nickelback fan.. How did the guy bring in such huge ratings if everybody hated him? But I digress..

The interesting thing, to me, about this experiment is whether or not Dean has learned to play with others. Dean, Jason & Todd was an amazing show. I still don't know why those 2 were let go but it makes me wonder if Dean played a part in their departures. If he did, I hope for his sake he's learned not to shoot himself in the foot.

As for Dean on the Fan, I think it's a good fit. He wouldn't be believable as the host of an EZ Rock morning show. But as a mouthy sports talk host? Yup.

It's interesting, that Todd seems to get a pass for the things he said and did on the Edge because management encouraged them to do that type of show. Why doesn't Blundell get the same pass? I'm sure he'll cross the line from time to time but it won't be nearly as bad or as often if he's not being encouraged to do so. Besides, how many people are really going to be upset if he uses the Maple Leafs as a verbal punching bag right now?

January 23, 2015 @ 5:36 AM

Will you listen to Dean Blundell on The Fan 590? No.

January 23, 2015 @ 11:20 PM

Well, today's Globe has some Numeris listener data after the disastrous decision to put Blundell in the morning. The Fan590 is down, and TSN up. Surprise, surprise. Kollins had already tried the shock jock route once before, and it won't sell. Let's restore some sense to the schedule before it destroys the station.

April 11, 2015 @ 2:41 PM

Aldo Ferrone

If anyone knows of a WORSE sports talk show than Brady and Walker, I would be VERY VERY surprised!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't know sports worth a damn, arrogant, opinionated and not funny at all despite their attempts. A couple of chimps could likely do a better job than these guys. WTF were you guys thinking?????????????????? Love TIm but Sid is an absolute dbag and needs to lose some serious weight. I think he is a clown. McCown knows his sports but doesn't like when people call in with a viewpoint that differs from his, at which time he never hesitates to degrade them. How does that make you feel Bob you DBAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Steve Brunt is just as arrogant as McCown but far less effective on sports talk. Ken Read is on the the same level as Brady and Walker which is pretty low!!!!!!!!! The ladies on Sportsnet Central aren't bad to look at for the most part but obviously have never taking a course in sports journalism. They would be better suited for The Naked News or maybe Evanka Osmak, Caroline Cameron, Charlsie Agro and Jackie Redmond do Toronto. Pretty sad!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 18, 2015 @ 2:39 PM

For an opinionated dude, it seems curious he can't bring himself to say douche bag.

October 18, 2015 @ 3:01 PM