102.1 the Edge Shuffles Show Deck

102.1 the Edge Shuffles Show DeckJust this past March, Fearless Fred switched from mornings on 102.1 the Edge back to afternoons and a new morning show of Dominik Diamond, Josie Dye and Greg Beharrell took over.

Now it seems Fearless Fred is back taking care of the morning shift with co-host Melani and Josie Dye has been moved to 2pm-6pm. Greg Beharrell has moved out west and Dominik Diamond is MIA.

For 25 years the 102.1 morning show was anchored by Humble and Fred and then Dean Blundell, but since Dean's dismissal, there's been a bit of back and forth. We'll see if Fearless Fred (who claims to really, really hate me) sticks this time. I wish him luck.

Screen Shot 2014-08-29 at 11.36.20 PM

Mookie

The whole Blundell thing has been beaten to death, and Corus had to do something as a result... But Diamond &Dye was absolutely Gawd awful.

Corus seems to pay an inordinate amount of money to a few on-airs (Derringer, Oakley and until recently, Blundell) and then leaves scraps for the rest of the budget. They eliminated the Edge PD position, and clearly those who remain are not as smart as they think they are. Awful decisions have been made time and time again.

Fred & Mel are definitely a step up, but the rest of the lineup is still really weak. But unfortunately it likely means little to those in charge at Corus HQ

August 29, 2014 @ 11:49 PM

GUNTer

I've been wondering where dominik had disappeared to. meanwhile, he's just moved his family back from out east to Toronto - again. wonder what he's going to be up to? the mix of him and the other two was unbearable, so something had to be done.

August 29, 2014 @ 11:55 PM

Brian

I loved listening to Dominik but it sucks that edge is playing musical chairs. 5 or 6 years ago they had a solid lineup, the Martin Streek was let go as well as Barry Taylor, then LoriAnn and many others. I think Josie and Adam are the only 2 that are there now that worked with Martin, Barry and the others. I was starting to enjoy edge mornings as well as Carlos but now as usual Corus has fucked it all up. I wonder how long it will be until it becomes a Fresh, Jump, Hits or some other God awful format that Toronto doesn't need.
It would be nice to see someone like Newcap turn Flow or Boom into a station that could compete with the Edge, but for now I am strictly listening to Indie 88 and middays with Bookie!!

August 30, 2014 @ 12:55 AM

Corey

I don't listen to morning radio much any more, but I do remember thinking that Dominik could be a great morning host after hearing him fill in for Derringer back when Dominik was doing evenings on Q107. He brought a whole different energy and humour to that show then, so much that it was disappointing to me when Derringer returned.
4 or 5 months is a ridiculously short time to let a morning show find it's feet and for the personalities to truly mesh. They have no patience any more - this seems like a move made out of panic, not out of rational business sense.

August 30, 2014 @ 7:48 AM

Rod

@Brian
Same with me about your thoughts on Edge but I listen to 94.9 The Rock now. LoriAnn and many others you'd recognize are here.
It's a great rock station, way better than the Edge and they present most of the rock shows in Toronto now.

August 30, 2014 @ 9:15 AM

Douglas

As they worked together more, I was finding Fred and Melani more and more listenable, along with the playlist. They were developing some decent chemistry, even though they still had a tendency to sound like they were doing something scripted. Of course, they can kiss their social nightlife calendar goodbye, and I seem to recall Melani likes sleeping in. Hopefully she is getting a raise to somehow compensate for that. I want to see this work for listeners, the stations and the hosts, with a decent morning show. When it comes to listening to radio locally, I like having alternatives (yes, pun intended).

August 30, 2014 @ 10:50 AM

Anonymous

Melanie should be on TV. A hottie

August 30, 2014 @ 11:19 AM

Anonymous

Melanie should be on TV. A hottie

August 30, 2014 @ 11:19 AM

Matt

Mike, we get it. Fred hates you. Does it have to be mentioned in (what seems like) every edge post?

Checked the edges site. Noticed no evening guy listed. Perhaps Dominik will fill that role? I liked him doing evenings on q107.

August 30, 2014 @ 4:59 PM

@Matt

You run your blog your way, I'll run mine my way.

I will always include that caveat when writing about Fearless Fred.

August 30, 2014 @ 5:31 PM

Edgeumacated

The somewhat unfortunate fact is that in this era of social media you need a radio personality who can fit the image of the station visually and in what they relate to listeners on Facebook and Twitter and YouTube.

Dominik was a surprising choice for morning anchor but he was too old looking and too literate sounding for a potential Edge advertiser to buy in (although Greg might have provided a buffer for that). Fred fits the bill better as he did when replacing Bookie.

August 30, 2014 @ 9:39 PM

Brian

I emailed to the edge letting them know how I feel. Here is the reply I got:

Brian,

Thanks for the email and I feel your pain!! It has been a challenging summer with Carlos leaving us after such a short time for personal reasons and Greg doing the same. The good news: Greg is now at CFOX in Vancouver (same company as the edge), so we will be able to use his content on a regular basis soon.

And, unfortunately, Dominik and Dye just couldn't make it work. Lots of potential in the beginning, but the chemistry just didn't develop as required.

Here's the good news: As of Tuesday, Sept. 2nd, we are "locked in";

Fred and Mel: 6 to 10am- I love their show and we hear MANY positive comments.

Adam: 10am to 2pm- very smart guy and a relaxed pace that's easy to listen to.

Josie Dye: 2 to 6pm- what can I say. She's been with us for 14 years and very successful!

6pm to 11pm; trying out Wade MacNeil- singer and guitarist for Alexisonfire- smart guy with great stories to tell.

And, Liz and Lana will be spilt between evenings and weekends.

We also have Alan Cross coming back!! On Going History of New Music is back on the edge as on Monday at noon and he's creating a new show called Adventures in Vinyl that will debut in late September.

So, lots of great things going on, but too bad it's taken all summer!!

I hope you can stick with us Brian and please give me a call next week if you want to discuss further: 416 479 6010.

Regards,

D

David Farough: GM-Toronto Radio: Brand Director- 102.1 the edge

August 30, 2014 @ 9:40 PM

Vicky

I wondered by Fearless Fred was given mornings only to have it yanked from him so quickly.

@Toronto Mike

Did Fearless Fred agree to come on your podcast?

August 30, 2014 @ 10:06 PM

Liz

@Douglas

I agree - I would listen to Fred & Mel while if driving during their time slot. They do work well together. The morning audience, though - if there's still such a thing- is wildly fickle.

I'll give them a go.

@Brian

That's quite a honest letter from Dave Farough. Every time I hear his name I think of Dave as the guy who wanted money from H&F for their own brand.

While driving to Peterborough (while I still own a car) on Friday I did hear Josie with Darren Jones, her guest co-host. They were excellent together. She's spunky and able to roll. She and Darren would be an ideal duo.

August 31, 2014 @ 10:49 AM

Brian

I am a big fan of a morning show and afternoon sho having 2 on air talents. So for me diamond and dye was great then Fred and Mel. But now Josie by herself again on drive. When i first moved to Toronto I listened to the edge for about 8 years and the lineup was solid. Then Barry Taylor and Martin were let go and the station has suffered terribly since then. It seems to me that they are struggling to find an identity. Show lineups change they bring in younger talent to replace people that helped make this station. I even enjoyed the Thursday 30 and the live to airs. Both of which are now gone. To me it almost seems as if all they are doing is pushing listeners away instead.

August 31, 2014 @ 11:31 AM

Mookie

Funny how the Corus GM does not even remember the name of his own morning show... "Dominik & Dye" (???). I could see "Dominick & Josie" as his emial reply, but to not even get the name of his own show right speaks volumes.

August 31, 2014 @ 5:44 PM

Anonymous

@torontomike pretty convoluted way of explaining that they cut three full-time positions ...

— marc weisblott (@scroll) August 31, 2014
September 1, 2014 @ 10:16 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Seeing the awful Jump format in Toronto wouldn't surprise me one bit. Corus killed the Bear in Ottawa and replaced it with Jump.

September 1, 2014 @ 12:41 PM

Edgeumacated

More likely you'll see Corus move out of the radio biz.

While they're in it they're going to be invested in the dominant rock radio stations in Vancouver and Toronto. That's what they staked out 15 years ago and left the pop audience to all the others in those cities.

But the money that's gone ain't coming back.

September 1, 2014 @ 12:50 PM

Mike

Carlos is on 91.5 the beat corus owned, I gave up once the dean bliundell show was cancelled

September 1, 2014 @ 1:22 PM

Sammi

Despite the challenges that come with Blundell....he did bring in ratings numbers.

This line-up isn't bad, but they should concentrate on the music now. Loosen up a bit...even take a request or two every hour and make it more interactive instead of a rigid playlist like everyone else. They need to breakthrough.

September 1, 2014 @ 1:49 PM

Jordan

They need to bring Blundell back... That's the only thing saving the station, no matter how much people think he sucks. He DID bring in tons of listeners. It's gonna suck next year seeing our beloved CFNY turn into shitty pop all because of a little controversy surrounding a host or 2.

September 1, 2014 @ 1:56 PM

Edgeumacated

There are five major radio stations in the Toronto market playing "shitty pop" (Kiss, Flow, CHFI, Virgin, CHUM FM). No room for a fifth.

September 1, 2014 @ 5:11 PM

Edgeumacated

I mean sixth, of course, but even five is too many. Bell and Rogers own two each so, ironically, won't surrender one because they'll scatter.

September 1, 2014 @ 5:13 PM

PP

How they haven't hired Shapiro and his new team at SiriusXM to do the mornings surprises me the most. Shapiro always brought the true laughs and while his show needs to be polished, they are the best bet for the Edge's hopes at survival. This coming from a guy that prefers Humble and Fred, but who understands that Shapiro is more identifiable with the Edge listeners and is definitely liked immensely.

September 1, 2014 @ 11:01 PM

Rob

@PP

It seems a lot of people have an unflattering opinion of his new show.

September 2, 2014 @ 7:00 AM

Argie

I don't listen to 102.1 but if they hope to matter in the ratings again, they better bring back Blendell.

September 2, 2014 @ 9:45 AM

Jacob

Hooray for putting people who entertain me in a time slot I don't listen to!

Anyway, are Fred and Mel gonna follow the standard "morning zoo" path and quickly devolve into non-stop sexual innuendo? Ugh.

September 2, 2014 @ 12:08 PM

Rob

I like Fred/Mel my only issue is they don't sound live. I know all radio is delayed but it seems all their banter feels very pre planned. With Blundell I'm sure much was preplanned as well but it also felt their was more go with the flow and more rifting off one another.

September 2, 2014 @ 1:36 PM

Caren

If the Edge really wanted to make a positive change, get rid of Josie Dye. Her talent is subpar at best. If all you can do is regurgitate lame stories from the MSN home page, or talk about drinking or sex, its time to pack it in or at the very least grow up.

I really like Dominick. He was a refreshing change from the previous 10 year reign. He is smart, witty and just seemed to be an all round good morning show choice. I did feel sorry for him on the because he was saddled with such a dope of a cohost (Dye). She was miles behind in any of the joking and when she did make a comment it was either lame ass or she sounded like a spoiled brat because she wasn't the center of attention. Greg wasn't too bad although I found some of his material pretty predictable.

Glad Adam is sticking around, I have always enjoyed him. Fred and Mel have good chemistry, just wish Mel wouldn't whine as much as she does but I guess that's part of their shtick.

All in all I guess changes have to be made...like the change of my dial on my drive home. Nothing likely causes more road rage on the 401 then being stuck in traffic, listening to Dye tell us about useless news stories we all read about the day before.

September 3, 2014 @ 7:23 AM

Anonymous

Yikes. Diamond and Dye were terrible, but Fred and Mel are no better. They sound scripted. They are not funny at all.

Mel sounds like she is from Beverly Hills, but she's not, so it's a fully affected speech pattern. It sounds fake the moment she opens her like, you know, wow, like, her, omg, omg, like, her, like moowwwth, you know?

Fred is unfunny and the sexual innuendos between the two are non-stop and lame. My ears bleed when I hear any DJ on the Edge. They are all terrible and fake.

September 3, 2014 @ 2:56 PM

Gibby

Dominik brought me back to listening to radio, both on Q in the evenings & then on Edge. Agree that D&D was unbearable, largely driven by the inanity that Josie & Greg excel at. Not as good as FF & Mel tho'... whole new heights in irrelevant, unfunny patter. So sad to see Corus unable to create great radio on 102.1, Maybe with AC back, maybe...but i have my doubts.

September 3, 2014 @ 5:32 PM

DBS

Dean and Todd need each other to be successful. Proof? Have you listened to Shapiros show on Sirius xm? It's an embarrassment. And Dean with Billie equally embarrassing. Both should swallow their pride and egos and get back together whether it be on satellite or stranger things have happened a return to the edge!

September 3, 2014 @ 10:19 PM

Edge 102.1?

More like ledge 102 because that's what I want to jump from since listening to their station after the Dean/todd split / diamond and I wanna dye after listening to their crappy morning show!

September 3, 2014 @ 10:21 PM

Todd

What kind of dough do you suppose Corus had to throw at Alan Cross to get him back into that corporate Jibba Jabba? I'm shocked that he would go back, that place has some serious decluttering to do.

Never mind the fact that it's going to be impossible to attract the talent that CFNY was known to draw. Anyone whose looking to break into big radio in Toronto will only see the clusterf@ck that is The Edge and go somewhere else.

I've never met Darren Farough, but what he's done to one of the most celebrated places on the Radio in Canada sucks. Another corporate ass kisser, so proud of his title and fancy MBA.

My $0.02

September 3, 2014 @ 11:53 PM

Hammer

My family is all from Scotland and generally speaking, I tend to like anything/anyone Scottish. Dominik was the only exception to this. In fact as hard as I tried to like him, he was unbearable. I simply think he tried too hard to be funny and it was painful. I latterly could not listen to the show. Josie is always good and Greg although quirky was a nice compliment.
Fred and Melani are complete opposites, however it works and in my opinion, it works very well. The combination between these two is awesome and there is definitely synergy.

September 4, 2014 @ 9:10 AM

Anonymous

I thought the opposite DD wasn't that bad but Josie and greg were horrible to listen to. No chemistry what so ever. Why Josie still has a job there is beyond me. I think DD and fred in the morning might actually be interesting hmmm...

September 4, 2014 @ 7:16 PM

Brian

Not understanding all the hate for Todd's Podcast. Listened to a few episodes and seems to be skewed a little younger then most shows, but not terrible at all.

September 5, 2014 @ 12:18 AM

Graham

I noticed the change the other day when I heard Josie in the evening talking about fighting a rolling stop ticket in court. I just assumed they temporarily shifted things, until I was reading Dominick's Twitter page. It's funny - although I'm not a huge avid listener to one specific station (I'll bounce from The Edge, The Fan 590 and Funny 820) I can't say I disliked Josie with Dominick in the morning. That being said, I only ever listen to Josie when heading out for lunch and hearing the 90's nooner. Since the DBS has disbanded I don't listen to any music station for the hosts any more, and just the music. And thankfully the Edge is playing a lot more older stuff and not the same new shit on repeat all day. I'll live with the changes, but since there is no personality on the radio any more, I bounce between stations when I'd stick with just the one.

September 5, 2014 @ 9:49 AM

cindi shoot

hi there - so many changes! I have been listening on and off since the 80s and ONE thing that works is the 90s nooner!!! what happened ?? I listen in the car mostly and I find its no longer on?! does anyone know?? thank you:)

September 5, 2014 @ 10:04 AM

Diane

I agree Mel and Fred sound scripted and prerecorded. Also their phone calls are not live...makes the show suck. I have always loved Fred, he just needs to up his game now.

September 8, 2014 @ 9:32 AM

Corinne

I miss diamond. I had not listened to 102.1 for 15 years till I moved I guelph. Then I heard diamond and dye. What a hoot that was. They made my morning drive to school fun.

I can get used to Fred and Mel. But I am in dominik withdrawal.

September 9, 2014 @ 9:19 AM

Doug Elliott

Just a quick heads up, LoriAnn has picked up the 90's Nooner, sorry the 90's @Noon and starts it Monday (Sept 15th) at noon on 94.9 The Rock.

requests? LoriAnn@therock.fm

Doug@therock.fm

September 9, 2014 @ 7:13 PM

Mike from Toronto

Sweet, an advertisement.

I liked Diamond and Dye. Thought it worked.
However, I reckon the funniest days were the days when it was just "Dommie and Greggie".

Really hope they bring Dominik back. I listened to him on my drive home on Q107 and was working on my Scottish accent.
I almost got it down pat and then he vanishes.

What the fudge!

September 10, 2014 @ 9:50 PM

Mike

102.1 the edge who? Indie 88

September 10, 2014 @ 10:04 PM

Matt

I would like to chime in here. This is literally the only forum online where I find there is a lot of informed people talking about Toronto radio (So, thanks Mike).

Here are my thoughts on the situation: Dominik and Dye sucked HARD. Dominik was too old to be talking about sex with his wife; it was uncomfortable and awkward. Josie...please, Corus, get her off the air. Please, remove her. Just because shes been there for 14 yrs doesn't mean that you have to keep her; believe me, Dean and Todd had a much, MUCH, bigger following than she ever will.

Someone said something above about bringing Todd back...HUGE mistake. The only, ONLY, way this could ever work, is bring Dean back. Its so obvious that Dean Blundell et al is what the city wanted to hear. I want to laugh in the morning, I want to hear people call in, it was a guilty pleasure that many, many Torontonians loved. To say they weren't popular is just wrong. Wrong. A prime example of corporate fatcats thinking they know best what people want to here - which is not some P.C. radio.

Don't get me wrong...I loved the DBS back in the day, and think Todd made up a HUGE part of that. Todd on the Street, Todd anywhere out of the studio was gold, and he was a great, great, co-host.

BUT - his new show, while starting out alright has gone downhill, fast. I get the sponsors things, but the opening voice makes my brain hurt. He also is acting like an amateur - he mentions his cohosts and interviewees by name every 10 seconds, his interviews are SO insincere (Stern knockoff - lets suck up to the guests as much as we can) and, while he started out trying to be the nice guy, now his show mirrors a lot of what Stern does. Even his interviewing style...right before the end say how much you love the guest and all they've done, etc., or the cover band playing popular songs with porno lyrics. Its pretty obvious if you've listened to both for awhile. If you want a great example of his poor interviewing skills, check out his interview with Vicky Vette. It was embarrassing. His cohost was some bimbo and they almost were making fun of her throughout the whole thing, it was pretty disrespectful. Don't get me wrong, Deans isn't the greatest either...hes almost deflated a bit. His cohost is alright, but hes playing up the Im not homophobic thing a little bit too much.

When I listen to the two shows now, I almost think of Rocky IV; Dolph has the computer labs, expensive exercise equipment, etc., and Rocky is carrying an ox plough in the snow. Todd went out, got a HUGE team of "celebrities", gets all the sponsors, all these stupid social media updates with group pics...feels cheap a bit. Between mentioning the sponsors every 5 seconds, he makes it seem like its a big party and hes doing great and its oh-so-fun. But his interviews SUCK and his guests SUCK (Bronson Pinchot. The Swipe-Rights. Jully Black. Really?) and he really has shown that he cant carry his own show. Dean? No music, no sponsors, no sound effects, no band. You listen to his podcast, youd think you were sitting in a room with them overhearing their conversation. And its not too bad.

That said, goddamn do I miss the old show...I miss Adrian, Todd on the Street, Todd trick-or-treating in Rosedale, the whats wrong with you, wha' happened...and just their back and forth. Dean isn't half a good without Todd, and Todd just isn't a main guy. But those two played off each other very well, for a very long time. And it was damn good radio. I wish there wasn't so many haters on the Toronto boards about DBS. They had a lot of listeners. Its like people are ashamed to admit they listened to them.

Now? Josie Dye who is a complete idiot on-air, Dominik is too old for the target audience, and Greg "Cum Gargle with Greg" Beharrell. (Hes actually pretty funny, I wish he had his own show and not be the third fiddle to those two aforementioned morons).

Its like they put on hosts that don't cater to the music they play. I really, really don't understand - but Im curious as to what everyone here thinks.

PS: I agree, Please, Mike, stop talking about Fred allegedly hating you. Its like youre trying too hard to be relevant, and Fred probably doesn't remember who you are or even saying anything. Please stop.

BRING BACK DEAN BLUNDELL!

September 12, 2014 @ 8:30 AM

Matt

PPS: I, too, have switched to Indie88 when I couldn't handle Dom&Dye and Cum Gargle with Greg.

The probably is, I couldn't tell you who the hosts are. Just a couple talking heads in between playing not-too-bad music. Toronto needs a radio PERSONALITY(-IES), not some mindless chatter in between songs. Why doesn't anyone understand this?!

Most people these days listen to the radio for the hosts, NOT the music; people can listen to their own music so easily these days, no one tunes in to listen to the Foo Fighters for the 100th time - we want to grow with the DJ, we want to laugh with them, we need to relate to them. Why do you think Stern is so successful? Its certainly not because of the music he played - his listeners want to here HIM.

September 12, 2014 @ 8:35 AM

@Matt

Good comments, but two things....

1. I don't think anyone ever suggested that the DBS wasn't popular. It was incredibly popular, no doubt about it. Many, many listeners in their targeted demo....

2. Me mentioning that Fearless Fred hates me (which I've done in precisely 14 out of 12745 entries) has become sort of an inside joke with me and my Toronto Mike'd co-host Elvis. I'll try to stop mentioning it when I write about Fred, but it's gonna be tough.

September 12, 2014 @ 9:03 AM

Andrew

Any news on what Dominik is doing? Found his twitter which said "back to work" recently, but no idea what that means.

I had pretty much stopped listening to the Edge during the latter part of the Dean Blundell era, it was just same stupid, immature shit over and over and it had stopped being funny after the first hundred times. So getting rid of them was a welcome change regardless if i agree with the reasons for the firing.

I actually liked Diamond and Dye, not because it worked, but because it was quite entertaining to listen to it NOT work. The three of them had zero chemisty and as a result, they brought genuinely different opinions to things, which i found interesting. Greg was pretty bad, but D&D i liked.

Love Fred and Mel, although the conversation inevitably makes me imagine in horror what it's liek to date a completely clueless girl - Fred makes all these intelligent jokes and Mel just doesn't get any of it. I really hope that's most an act on her part.

Started listening to indie88 lately too. Love their music selection but their DJs (ex. bookie) are just fucking awful. it's like a complete vacuum of personality. i also hate that they repeat bits and call-ins all the time instead of doing live radio. but music is great. 97.7 is also great for music. Funny how even after getting rid of so many good DJs and being left with almost nothing, Edge is till head and shoulders above these other stations in terms of on-air personalities. I mean, even the Edge's off-peak people are kings of entertainment comapred to EVERYONE (ex. bookie again) at 88.

September 12, 2014 @ 1:11 PM

Matt

@Mike: Ahh, sorry about that. I didn't think it was an inside joke. Also - I think it just irks me that (not here as much) that everyone seems to hate the DBS.

On a sidenote, I think you should keep some of the Toronto Radio posts up longer before it hits the archive - I find that once its off the front page, it might be missed by some (unless they search for it).

I keep listening to old podcasts of DBS, its what keeps me going these days. This morning on Indie88, they've dedicated at least 20 minutes, with phone calls, to how toilet paper should be installed, over or under. Is this what Toronto radio has become?! This is fucking embarrassing.

Meanwhile, if there are any old DBS fans on here, check out Deans new podcast, Meatus is back! And its gold!

September 15, 2014 @ 8:43 AM

@Matt

I do have a category page just for entries about 102.1: http://www.torontomike.com/cfny_edge_102/

September 15, 2014 @ 8:49 AM

Li'l Lee

I really enjoyed the morning show with Dominik Diamond. It was refreshing, he was passionate about his beliefs (Jason Biggs rant about Malaysia Airlines twitter comment) and his guitar mash ups were fantastic. Wherever he is, know that I am a huge fan. I would appreciate any updates on his whereabouts, thank you.

September 15, 2014 @ 9:10 PM

Bob

I've listened to the edge since the Humble and Fred days. Those were good days for the morning show.

Dean Blundell was bordering on unlistenable. Back when Jason Barr was around, he'd at least add some humour to the dreary pablum of predictable sexual innuendo and right wing shilling, even if he wasn't the most talkative. Todd brought literally nothing to the table, but what do you expect from a guy who got his start doing socially awkward and potentially rude things at the behest of Dean? Wellsman was a bit of bright flash towards the end, but not enough to save the show... I guess you could also make the argument that he helped bring it to a close with his comments.

The problem with the DBS was that they wanted to be all edgy and relevant, but you can't be that on the public airways. You can only be so edgy before you're canned for being more trouble than you're worth by attracting too much scrutiny from the CRTC.

The Fearless Fred experiment had promise and I was sorry to see it end. I felt that he and Melani were just hitting their stride and then boom... Dominick Diamond.

He was certainly a step up from the DBS. Even if he and Greg Beharrel has to carry Josie Dye's weight. She did serve her purpose in a way, being the clueless straight-man to their humour. Greg's too weird by himself, but the other two tempered him while he seemed to inspire them to be a bit more abstract. Maybe given more time (and a female co-host that can actually contribute) they would have been good to have around.

I think Fearless Fred and Melani are the best show they've had since Humble and Fred... which is quite a nice surprise. I don't cringe listening to the radio on the way to work anymore... it's nice.

Man, that was a long way to go to make that point. Oh well.

September 16, 2014 @ 5:56 PM

Nazir

Had hoped Dean's overdue termination would have breathed life into the morning show, to be disappointed to have a dickhead like Greg inserted into the mix with Dominik and Dye which spoilt everything. Now poor Mel has to be overshadowed by an idiot like F'ing Fred who needs to be sent on his way too before it gets too shitty to listen to. Mel or Josie are fine on their own. Why do they need to be paired with idiots? Just let the girls run the show.

September 17, 2014 @ 5:27 PM

Matt

@Bob: you realize that the DBS WAS actually edgy and relevant? Thats what set them apart from literally all the other boring crap on air - that of course adheres to CRTC. They are the problem, because they censor the things the public has shown they want to hear. Look at how much 102.1 ratings plummeted after Dean et al left. Trying to be PC just doesnt attract as many people. Let us hear what we want to hear...thats what it was so insanely popular, because it DID push the envelope. Not some boring talking heads...as I said above, people dont listen to the radio for music.

September 17, 2014 @ 5:38 PM

DBS was not edgy or relevant for at least the last 5 years prior to the axing of the show. As Bob pointed out, it was the same "edgy" banter over and over every day. Saying something stupid does not make one edgy, just stupid.

Then you could tell they really no longer gave a crap once they relied on 90% of their show being listener call ins.

September 23, 2014 @ 7:34 AM

September 23, 2014 @ 7:34 AM

Anonymous

Just listen to Biggs and Bar on 97.7

September 25, 2014 @ 8:30 AM

Downwithdippy

I wish they would opt for more intelligent sounding females on air. Lana is awful and sounds like a teen in a stupor. LoriAnn, thankfully is gone and she just came across as a ditzy moron party girl. Josie nominally more intelligent sounding and Mel is tolerable. Do we really need to have the ladies be so darn irritating?

September 26, 2014 @ 9:08 PM

Downwithdippy

September 26, 2014 @ 9:08 PM

Dean

Just read these. Man, you guys need to go play tennis and get off you ur computers. Life isn't defined by opinions. Especially most of these narrow minded shitty ones. See yall soon.....

September 27, 2014 @ 12:07 AM

Deen Bluntell

lol wat

October 7, 2014 @ 5:50 PM

Jayme

The last few years it's gotten hard to listen to the Edge. The music is the only reason for me to come back and they've been playing some weird shit lately so even that is barely keeping me hanging on. I've got my own DJ comments.

Greg - glad he's gone. Confuses me how anyone can think he is funny, he's like a bad rip-off of Steven Wright.

Dean - Maybe if he came back with the personality he had at the beginning, but the last few years he just came off as a bitter child. Got tired of listening about his divorce and it all went downhill after that. It just seemed like after Jason left it all went to hell.

Josie - eh. I can put up with her now and then, but I couldn't listen to her show daily.

Fred - eh too. he's not all that funny, but I suppose he's bearable.

I was driving back from Ottawa after thanksgiving and one of the stations was playing the Ongoing History of New Music and it was something I missed. Alan was always interesting.
Sad thing, I don't think I'd miss any of the current DJs on the Edge.

October 15, 2014 @ 12:24 AM

Chris

Mike, when did Fred and Melanie start doing the morning shows?

Brian's email he shared coincides with what I remember, a September 2nd announcement for Fred and Mel in the mornings, but I know they were actually doing it before then.

I don't understand the secrecy going on at this station. While trying to stabilize their ratings, they don't even seem concerned with informing their listeners of whats happening in a timely fashion.

October 20, 2014 @ 12:58 PM

@Chris

There were doing it after the Dean Blundell Show was cancelled, but then went back to afternoons so Diamond and Dye could do mornings.

Then after labour day, Fred and Mel returned to mornings.

October 20, 2014 @ 1:09 PM

Matt

Man....listening to Indie88 this morning, and the TOTALLY ripped off Dominik's Rockenspiel with Glockenspiel (or whatever it was called)....I know everyone on here circlejerks Indie88, just thought Id share this blatant ripoff. Anyone else catch this? Jesus Christ. If youre going to copy something, at least do something people want to hear - do a Todd on the Street bit or something. I was shocked!

October 21, 2014 @ 8:25 AM

Matt

Aaaaand this morning theyre talking about Toronto's best bathroom. Jesus Christ....Please, someone save Toronto radio.

October 22, 2014 @ 8:54 AM

Aaron

I couldn't stand the Dean Blundell morning show or the dege for that matter. I hardly heard any talking on the Blundell show all I heard were commercials every 10 minutes. Sometimes he would just play 1 song and go right back to commercials.

Even during the day 102.1 plays way too many commercials. The only station I really listen to is hits fm because they only play maybe 2 minutes of commercials every 20 minutes. I don't even listen to the radio much anymore I just listen to commercial free streaming music apps on my phone.

December 7, 2014 @ 4:05 PM

Alex

I was an Edge listener from way back in the day - back when they were really alternative and not just another mainstream commercial mega corp front (wow, I sound like a hippie!). You know, back in Brampton?

I watched a station that grew and became popular and faltered and was owned by a company that almost killed it (thanks Selkirk). Funny to think that MacLean Hunter saved it. Humble and Fred perhaps set the standard for Morning radio that couldn't be beat, they didn't match the style of the station and yet they did because they didn't. The music selections all through the day and night were impressive, the live nights at Kingdom, The Phoenix, and Whiskey Saigon with the late, great Martin Streek were the sort of things that made the station great, and they reached a high water mark about 7 or 8 years ago. Guys like Cross, Kneale Mann, and many others contributed to making the station a true standout.

On the ownership side, well, let's just say that successive ownership changes are never good for a radio station. MacLean Hunter turned into Rogers who had to divest so they sold off the station to Corus. I have to say that while Corus is "successful" in many ways, I tend to feel that they fail on the human element part of radio. As someone else mentioned, they seems to spend big dollars on a very few people, and the rest get table scraps. They have also burned though a fairly talented group of people who have gone on to bigger and better things away from the station. That their current website doesn't seem to have very many personalities on it and that all of the public interaction stuff is done is a show of how little they seem to get the relationship thing.

With the most recent ratings showing nearly a 50% decline for this station, how long can it be before the bean counters get tired of it all and turn it into a hot adult contemporary station?

March 22, 2015 @ 11:01 AM