Ride to Conquer Cancer Update: Final Recap

My Ride to Conquer CancerIn late January, I decided I needed to do something epic. My friend was battling cancer, and I was turning 40 in June, so I registered for the Ride to Conquer Cancer and started collecting pledges.

At the end of this email are the names of the 86 people who helped me raise $5,080. That's double the minimum required to participate in this ride. That's awesome and I owe you big time.

Yesterday, I rode from Ontario Place to Mohawk College in Hamilton. It was 123.95 km and it took me a little over 5 hours. Here's the route we took.

Screen Shot 2014-06-08 at 3.57.14 PM

Today, I rode back to Ontario Place. This time, it was only 103.38 km and it took me a little over 4 hours. Here's the route.

Screen Shot 2014-06-08 at 3.58.30 PM

In total, that's 227.33 km. I'm very pleased with my times and had a blast camping out with the other 5000 riders. Together, we raised $20 million.

Nothing but blue skies #rtcc

ride

Here again, for the last time, are my 86 heroes. Thank you.

1. Ellen M.
  82. Stephen Y.
  83. Jason C.
  84. Matthew W.
  85. Barb M.
  86. Cousin Mark

dale

We are not the hero's, you are with your dedication to this great cause.

Congrats.

June 8, 2014 @ 4:57 PM

Glen

Not only is Mike a great father, husband, blogger, and male model but he also has time to raise $5,000 for cancer.

Is there anything he can't do?

Chris Hadfield asked him to command the International Space Station next year.

God speed, Commander Mike

June 8, 2014 @ 5:17 PM

Anon&on

Great! So you averaged about 24 kph.
Was it easier or harder than you thought it would be? Saturday was a little hot to be doing an extended ride. Are you still going to do daily rides?

June 8, 2014 @ 6:12 PM

Jenny

And hopefully that $20 million will KICK CANCERS' ASS!!!!

June 8, 2014 @ 6:46 PM

dale

You set a goal for yourself with the Ride for Cancer many months ago. With everything else in your life going on with a baby on the way, Mike Kic's situation & your training for this ride has me realize that you are an inspiration for all of us as if we set a goal we strive to do it & even if we don't succeed at least we did our best trying.

@Mike - you accomplished what your vision was & for those who try & don't succeed, be proud as it was the best you can do as
NOBODY is a failure. At least you tried.

Get some rest.

June 8, 2014 @ 7:00 PM

@Anon&on

About 24 km/h, but a little faster because on the way there I stopped three times (two pit stops and one lunch stop) and on the way back I stopped twice (one pit stop and one lunch stop).

Both times my first pit stop was at the 60 km mark.

I didn't find it too hot yesterday, in fact, I thought it was pretty perfect.

Prior to yesterday, my longest ride was about 65 km. I just about doubled that yesterday. I was surprised how strong I felt and how fast I was still riding up the long hill climb approaching Mohawk College.

Today's ride was actually really easy after yesterday because it was primarily downhill.

As for the daily rides, I was doing them before I signed up for this ride so I'll definitely keep doing them. The sweet spot for me is a fast 30 km ride, so that will likely be my default. I hope to get out there at least 4 days a week. Biking is awesome.

Bonus Fun Facts:

99.9% of bikes in this weekend's ride were road / racing bikes. My hybrid stuck out like a sore thumb. I'm told I was the first non-road/racing bike to finish.

99.9% of riders wore those special clipless shoes for use with clipless pedals. Me in my Asics running shoes stuck out like a sore thumb.

99.9% of riders wore bike shorts with the butt padding. I wore regular shorts with no butt padding.

June 8, 2014 @ 9:17 PM

markosaar

re: fun facts

#1 - on the Ride for Heart & Stroke it was much the same on the 75 KM route, at least amongst those that started at 6:00 AM. I have a CX bike which is most of the way there, it was pretty ghetto compared to the competition. Also I was on commuter tires.

But, it felt great to be going much faster than guys on $2000-5000 bikes.

#2 - I wear the shoes. I'm not sure how much more efficient it really is, but I find it much safer commuting.

#3 - Every single person around me was wearing bike shorts too.

I have "shy shorts" or commuter shorts. They have a lining for cycling, but aren't very aggressive. I actually got very uncomfortable and it really affected how quickly I could pedal by the end. I guess bike shorts or bibs are on the list for next year for me.

I did my 75 KM non-stop, but was pretty exhausted by 70. Just phoned in the last 5.

June 9, 2014 @ 7:02 AM

Philly-Bob

Well done Mike! This even has been building up on the Blog for Months now, and It's nice to see it all came together.

The hivemind is proud!

June 9, 2014 @ 8:13 AM

Argie

@Mike
I wear bike shorts but I can't ride a bike.

Anyway, well done. You did us proud.

June 9, 2014 @ 8:57 AM

519 Rob

Kudos Mike,
Job well done!

June 9, 2014 @ 9:35 AM

For the curious, here are the tents we slept in on Saturday night.

It was extremely well organized.

June 9, 2014 @ 9:35 AM

Philly-Bob

One More question - is James officially taller than you now? It seems that way in the picture, although it could be that you are slouching a bit, being tired from the race and all....

June 9, 2014 @ 10:20 AM

@Philly-Bob

Not yet!

June 9, 2014 @ 10:27 AM

Teena in Toronto

Congrats!

Your friend would be so proud!

June 9, 2014 @ 10:28 AM

TheSweaterTuck

Congratulations, Mike! Well done!

June 9, 2014 @ 10:37 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Mike - methinks it's only a matter of time....

June 9, 2014 @ 11:03 AM

@Philly-Bob

He'll catch me and pass me before he becomes a teenager, for sure.

June 9, 2014 @ 11:06 AM

Geoff

Could you post the routes? I checked the official website and it is not very detailed in some spots.

June 9, 2014 @ 11:31 AM

Geoff

Thanks!

June 9, 2014 @ 11:44 AM

this guest

super congratulations on a well researched and well trained for job.

June 9, 2014 @ 1:21 PM

Lorne

Good work, Mike!

June 9, 2014 @ 2:53 PM

Blind Dave

Congrats to Mike and all the riders. You are true heroes.

June 9, 2014 @ 9:38 PM