Toronto's Waterfront Trail: We Can Do Better

Toronto's Waterfront Trail: Cyclists Deserve BetterOur Waterfront Trail is pretty awesome. I'll ride as far east as Ashbridges Bay Park and as far west as Rattray Marsh Conservation Area. The Waterfront Trail actually runs from Niagara-on-the-Lake to Brockville, but I primarily use it in Toronto and Mississauga.

Most of the trail in Toronto and Mississauga is off-road and paved, which is ideal, but some parts are on quiet streets. I don't mind that at all, but there's one stretch that's far less than ideal. This is a stretch in Mimico / New Toronto from Norris Crescent to First Street.

Between Norris Crescent to the east and First Street to the west, the Waterfront Trail forces cyclists onto Lake Shore Blvd W. This is where Sue Trainor was struck by a car and killed last summer, and where I took my hardest fall while crossing streetcar tracks.

Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 4.07.49 PM

Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 4.08.33 PM

I don't know if the Pan Am Path will address this stretch, but something needs to be done. Toronto cyclists deserve better from our Waterfront Trail.

Steve

So, you complain about a problem, yet offer zero solutions to fix it?

April 23, 2014 @ 7:57 AM

markosaar

@Steve,

What an asinine statement.

The solution is up to city planners. Be it (possibly protected) bike lanes, possibly widening the road, or an extension of the off-road trail. I assume there's something about the area that's prevented the trail from being built in the first place.

April 23, 2014 @ 9:44 AM

@Steve

I'd like the city of Toronto to expropriate the waterfront from that string of apartments and home owners between Norris Crescent and First Street.

April 23, 2014 @ 9:49 AM

Broni

The new section of the Waterfront Trail from Norris Crescent running in the opposite direction towards Park Lawn is a perfect example of the city doing something perfectly. It is a safe, beautiful, scenic stretch of off-road trail. The city expropriated property to create it, but I believe only 2-3 apartment building owners were affected. To do the same in the opposite direction involves far more property owners, I believe, which is a large part of the problem. However, the sidewalk (& Lake Shore Blvd itself, for that matter) are above-average wide in that section and a bike/pedestrian shared solution seems like a reasonable option.

April 23, 2014 @ 10:03 AM