Memorial for Sue Trainor Updated

Memorial for Sue Trainor UpdatedOn September 20, I wrote about the memorial for the unknown cyclist who had been struck by a car and killed on Lake Shore and Dwight Ave. By the time I awoke the next morning, my entry had comments from her sister and friend telling me how wonderful a person Sue Trainor was.

I revisited the memorial for Sue Trainor outside the Lake Shore McDonald's in New Toronto and it's quite different now. In addition to new flowers there's now a white bicycle acting as a monument to Sue.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

A letter affixed to the pole reads:

Stop talking about what u think happened + read what did. The lady was run over by a driver who ran a red light. She was T boned by a driver who was talking to his passenger + not looking where he was driving. He will not be charged for anything. Rip Sue.

- Ronald

Untitled

Matt

If the driver ran a red as this letter alleges, how are they not able to press charges? Did they have any witnesses?

October 1, 2013 @ 1:22 PM

@Matt

I don't know. All news reports are extremely vague.

I do know Sue was an experienced, healthy and competent cyclist who was struck by a 62-year old man driving a van. This letter is at the scene, but I can't say for certain that the author witnessed the accident.

October 1, 2013 @ 1:29 PM

Icarus

Toronto has a terrible cultural problem when it comes to bike use in the city.

It has been politicized and is costing lives.

October 1, 2013 @ 4:04 PM

Tron

@Icarus, My gosh so true. The entire road culture that is going on here is dangerous, the roads don't belong to anybody, it belongs to everybody. We have to figure what is the best and safest way to get around. It's full shame the people who push the "car vs bikes" feuds for personal political gain.

Are there bad cyclists, of course, and they should be called out if they are dumb out there. But lets also understand that cars could be a death machine, and the shrugging of shoulders of horrible drivers that I see every day or the acceptance/excuses of drunk or dangerous driving is unacceptable. Removing "points" or a weak fine is not enough.

October 1, 2013 @ 4:47 PM

Cheryl

Sad is right. Another driver talking on his phone. This is not good. This is why it would be okay if there were no more cellphones.

October 2, 2013 @ 11:03 AM

Irv

The reason the "anti" bike thing exists in Toronto is because of the merger of the cities. Those in the 'burbs have a far different attitude than those in the core.

The attitude toward biking and transit in Vancouver is far different. Biking is common. To fund transit, there is a 15 cent per litre tax. Could you imagine that in Toronto? Shit would hit the fan. The result is that even with growth, car usage is in decline. One can live almost anywhere in Vancouver without a car. For those of us with a car, you almost never drive it. The result is a population that is very healthy by Canadian standards. I own a car, but use Car2Go to get around for business.

October 6, 2013 @ 12:48 PM