The LG G2 Android Smartphone Extended Testdrive

LG G2I shared my early thoughts on the LG G2 Android smartphone but since then I've been using it exlusively. I literally set my Samsung Galaxy S Infuse 4G to forward all calls to the LG G2 Telus lent me and I've only been carrying the LG all month. My apologies for anyone who's been text messaging me these last few weeks, I haven't figured out how to forward those.

The biggest change has been the battery life. I can go two days without a charge, and that's with pretty heavy usage. I'll stream the radio and Songza, track my bike rides via GPS, check Gmail, Twitter and Facebook frequently and will always be surprised I've only used 55% of the battery at the end of the day.

I also love the size and speed. It's got a bigger screen and it's a great deal faster. Of course, this isn't a fair fight... Samsung recently released their Galaxy S4 making my model three whole generations behind. I'd love to compare this LG G2 to a Samsung Galaxy S4.

lg-g2-front-back

I think I'm screwed now. I don't think I can go back.

Irv

While the hardware is nice Mike, Android is a fucking train wreck for security. The newest latest trend thanks to that is the android botnet. Exploited Android OS's used to DDoS people.

November 21, 2013 @ 9:59 AM

Lyle Lanley

I love Android and far prefer it to the iPhone.

But to each his own as they say.

I rock a Samsung Galaxy S 3.

November 21, 2013 @ 10:02 AM

Banger

I'm tired of Irv's fear mongering. Just read his comments on the online shopping entry before this one. It's ultra paranoid and not very helpful.

Android as an operating system is very secure. ~80% of smartphones run it and Android was designed with security as one of its cornerstone principles.

I hope people take Paranoid Android Irv with a grain of salt and educate themselves.

November 21, 2013 @ 10:13 AM

Irv

Wow thanks for the link. Forensic/cyber security analysts everywhere thank you bro. LOL. Foot in mouth bud. Android is insecure. Even junior rookie security types know that

November 21, 2013 @ 10:46 AM

Banger

@Irv

Isn't it time for one of your extended vacations?

I think you're due to disappear again for a few months. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

November 21, 2013 @ 10:48 AM

Irv

Lol sure pal. Go back to school wannabe

November 21, 2013 @ 11:00 AM

Corey

@ Banger - re: online shopping tips - how is having anti-virus/malware detection ultra-paranoid? Or ensuring your connected via a secure connection? Those a reasonable tips that most people don't ever think about, but would go a long way in preventing fraud.

November 21, 2013 @ 11:52 AM

Banger

@Corey

I was referring to using a PO box and a special credit card. The anti-virus and malware detection is always smart.

November 21, 2013 @ 11:59 AM

Lorne

Having a second credit card is not paranoid. Ask any Playstation owner. I've had my card cancelled at least three times-- once b/c of the PSN, and twice because of "security reasons". In other words, some retailer somewhere screwed things up, leaked the CC numbers-- and Mastercard automatically cancelled my card. It takes them about 5 business days to send a new one.

I'm still waiting for the credit card companies to wake up and start issuing one-time pads to people. Basically-- I want to make a purchase. I go to mastercard's site, log in, say "gimme a number". It generates a CC number tied to my account, possibly with a specific limit, possibly limited only to a certain retailer.

I then make an online purchase using that number. Mastercard authorizes that, then locks the number. No further purchases can be made with that number.

In other words: from a security standpoint, it shouldn't be possible for the number I give to a retailer to make a purchase to itself make another purchase. The retailer's CC numbers have no purchasing value.

November 21, 2013 @ 1:10 PM

Lorne

And also, Irv is not wrong about Android. Perhaps the way he puts it is a bit hyperbolic, but it has it's fair share of security problems. Join any security mailing list, and you'll see the plethora of vulnerabilities being discovered. Admittedly, iOS is also a bug-ridden hell-hole, so really, it all balances out.

Basic rule of thumb: don't install apps from sketchy developers because you want your phone to make fart noises, idiot. =)

November 21, 2013 @ 1:11 PM

All platforms are vulnerable to malware. Android offers excellent protection from malware.

As usual, it's the users that are the problem... remember, there are many, many more Android users than users of other smartphone operating systems so there are also many dumb and ignorant users who will do stupid things.

November 21, 2013 @ 1:17 PM

Argie

I have a question: How come all of us will install anti-virus protection on our PCs (at home and work) but we don't on our phones? Without it, you're almost guaranteed to acquire some kind of virus or malware. Yet, in all of the years of using a smartphone, I have yet to have it compromised.

November 21, 2013 @ 1:25 PM

@Argie

It's true, in my life I've worked on machines running Windows, OS X, Linux and Android but I've only ever ran anti-virus programs on my Windows machines...

With the others, I practice safe computing... only installing apps and programs I absolutely trust. I've never had a problem on a machine not running Windows...

November 21, 2013 @ 1:28 PM

Irv

No Mike, it's not always the users. Are you going to tell me that I'd personally be as safe on Windows as I would Debian Linux? Or FreeBSD? Even with a full security platform on Windows it's more insecure than a base install of Linux WITHOUT any anti-virus or running rootkit detection like rkhunter or chkrootkit. The repo's at Ubuntu, etc, are a big plus of Linux.

Apple's superior security is because of a few reasons. The first is everything is sandboxed. The second is that Apple is much more involved in their apps (testing, certification, etc). All mobile platforms are insecure, but Android is the worst. That's not to say Apple doesn't have it's issues because it does. The Chaos Computer Club demonstrated that a while ago by hacking that finger print stuff. CCC are demi-gods too, that's OLD skool.

Truth is Blackberry has the superior security. I don't know much about the QNX based OS, but they were secure. That's why so many rogue countries went apeshit over their encryption.

November 21, 2013 @ 1:29 PM

Argie

From what I've heard, Mac o/s computers have never had a virus.

November 21, 2013 @ 1:30 PM

Charron

I'm gonna step in here.... have to say my piece.

If you use Android and don't want a virus or malware just make sure you always get your apps from the official Google Play store and make sure your OS is up to date. If you're careful about your apps and update Android, you'll probably never ever have a problem.

And yes Argie, Mac's do get viruses, just not nearly as easily as Windows. It's rare, but Mac viruses do exist.

November 21, 2013 @ 1:33 PM

Corey

From March 7, 2013 (emphasis is mine):

Security firm F-Secure found that Android accounted for 79% of all mobile malware in 2012, an increase from 66.7% in 2011 and 11.25% in 2010. Appleā€™s iOS platform on the other hand has remained nearly untouched throughout the years. Malware on (the iOS platform) was found to account for only 0.7% in 2012.

November 21, 2013 @ 3:03 PM

@Corey

You do know Android runs on 81% of the world's smartphones, right?

It only makes sense they'd have more malware.

And, because most of those Android phones cost so much less than an iPhone, users are probably less careful...

November 21, 2013 @ 3:06 PM

Corey

@ Mike -

Yes, I knew that. I also know that the stats I posted about malware were from 2012, when Android global market share was 65% and iOS was at 20%.

Like it or not, 79% of all mobile malware vs. less than 1% is telling. When iOS was the only notable game in town, it wasn't exploited even close to the degree that Android was and has been ever since it's release.

November 21, 2013 @ 3:56 PM

Irv

@TorontoMike

Apple malware accounts for only 0.7% of mobile malware. It's marketshare is well beyond that Mike. I will dispute the claim that "because it's cheapers users are less careful"? What? So a poorly paid person in the the developing world is less careful?

Mike, benchmarked Android is more insecure than IOS, just like Windows is more insecure than Linux. Google has did a great job with some of their security features (DNS-SEC for example). Android; not so much. The problem becomes much more serious when people jailbreak their Android.

@Argie

It's fair to say Mac OS X is more secure than Windows for the standard user. There is malware & there are viruses, but they are not as common. Some people will tell you it's marketshare. I'd disagree. Differences in code execution, priviledge escalation, etc make Mac a superior choice for security. For real security look at a variant of Linux, or the real boss; BSD. Open BSD is arguably the most secure OS in the world.

November 21, 2013 @ 4:02 PM

Bottom Feder

If you folks can't tell a malicious app before you download it, you deserve what you get.

Take a deep breath before you click to install. Android apps will not install without your explicit permission. If it smells malicious, don't install it.

November 21, 2013 @ 4:37 PM

Cheap Smartphones

I don't understand how owning an Android device can be a security threat. I've been using an android smartphone for years and it's been working great if not better than most other phones I've tried in the past. In terms of security, nothing is going to match up to Blackberrys in the meantime. But if you're comparing this to Apple iOS or similar OS's, it's the same thing. I've been using mobile banking and more through my Android just fine.

February 7, 2014 @ 12:42 PM