The Camera is Dead. Long Live the Camera.

The Camera is Dead. Long Live the Camera.After years of owning an Olympus digital camera, I picked up a Canon PowerShot camera a few years ago for $199. It was the only digital camera I used, and it did a fine job.

It was also my only option. The camera built into my old Blackberry was pretty bad. At least it wasn't nearly as good as my Canon PowerShot. But then, in October, I switched from Blackberry to a Samsung Galaxy S and all of that changed.

Here's a picture of my Canon PowerShot camera, taken with the camera built into my Samsung Galaxy S Android phone.

Canon

I recently went to Amsterdam and never touched the Canon. Then I went camping, and once again the Canon collected dust. I can no longer justify bringing along a second single-task device when my multi-use device takes better pictures.

The stand-alone POS digital camera is dead.

Henry

Glad you put POS in there.

Camera phones have replaced the POS cameras, but not the SLR cameras.

August 27, 2012 @ 10:50 AM

I'd actually like to add a caveat to my own entry, if I may.

My Samsung phone has replaced my Canon as a camera, with one exception.

If I'm going to have a long day without a chance to recharge my phone's battery, and I'm somewhere I want to photograph, the single-purpose POS camera has a great purpose.

August 27, 2012 @ 11:00 AM

Cbab

Distinguishing b/w POS and a prosumer DSLR is key. I'd agree; The only advantage I could see in buying a cheapie POS is to learn a little about cameras before diving into a proper body/lens combo.

Not to mention that few POSs have the ability to instantly upload photos to your social network of choice.

August 27, 2012 @ 11:03 AM

Rosie

Nope don't agree. I love my pink Canon and love that it is stand alone. I don't want to use my phone to take pics. I like to take tons of pics, and no phone battery can stand up to that.

August 27, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

@Cbab

This photo of my Canon camera was uploaded to Flickr via the Flick app for Android. It was crazy slick, and would have been just as easy to share it via Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or even email.

August 27, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

@Rosie

Indulge us, won't you? What phone do you carry with you?

August 27, 2012 @ 11:10 AM

Michelle Gillies

I am in total agreement. I have the same phone and it id now my only camera. I even wrote a blog about it. Added bonus...photos automatically load to my g+ account so even if you lose your phone you never lose your pics.

August 27, 2012 @ 11:32 AM

Cambo

Totally agree.

I've got the Galaxy S2, it has an 8MP camera. While I do miss the option of an optical zoom, the quality of pictures with an appropriate camera app are outstanding, especially in daylight.

Try the HDR Camera. You get the HDR effects, and your shots look fantastic. It's free in a restricted-mode, but under $5 for the whole app.

The ability to instantly upload to Dropbox or Google Drive is another plus. No longer do you have to plug the phone in, browse to the folder where the pictures are and copy.

For Dropbox, all you need to do is be in range of Wi-fi (or 3G if you want to), and your pictures are instantly synced with any computer/device. It's a no-brainer.

August 27, 2012 @ 12:15 PM

Cambo

...and Dropbox has a client for Ubuntu :)

August 27, 2012 @ 12:17 PM

Wayner

for simple pics of friends, families and vacation you can get way with using the phone rather than POS...
But if you want to improve upon your technique and actually learn about photogarphy...your going to have to upgrade

August 27, 2012 @ 12:48 PM

Blind Dave

For normal picture taking, I use the camera on my Incredible S, and along with an app called Camera360, it works great.

The only time I use my actual camera - a Fuji, but I'm not home to verify the model #, is for long distance shots as it has a 12x zoom.

For whatever reason, which is likely shaky hands, I take much clearer pics with my camera phone.

August 27, 2012 @ 2:20 PM

Rosie

Tried the cameras on androids and iPhone but it is awkward to zoom! And there is no Kids and Pets setting, which gives me non-blurry pics of my toddler who is in constant motion. And so annoying when the phone rings when I am trying to take a picture! Booooo

August 27, 2012 @ 3:59 PM

Blind Dave

@Rosie

Well, if you had my popularity level, your phone would never ring... :)

August 27, 2012 @ 4:11 PM

Rosie

@Blind Dave LOL! my husband says the same thing, although when it rings 90% of the time it is my mother/his mother :)

August 27, 2012 @ 4:56 PM

Corey

Is POS the abbreviation for "point and shoot" or are you guys being funny?

I haven't used my camera once since I got the iPhone 4. There are some incredible camera apps available, but even the default camera app takes amazing pics. The only thing I do miss at times is the optical zoom. Digital zoom ducks.

August 27, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

Corey

Heh. Sucks.

August 27, 2012 @ 9:21 PM

@Corey

I have no idea why I abbreviated point-and-shoot to POS. No clue.

Maybe I just started something new...

August 27, 2012 @ 10:22 PM

Blind Dave

I was wondering about POS in this context too. To me, it means point of sale or piece of shit.

Although a quick google search for the POS acronym will give you more answers than you ever wanted.

August 27, 2012 @ 10:42 PM

Neville Ross

I'd rather get a small $200.00 dollar camera that takes pictures at 16 megapixels, or a DSLR than get these crappy phone cams. I'm using a film camera now (a Pentax Super Program) and the pictures I've taken with it are probably better than what comes out of these camera phones to begin with (although I've been saddled with a lot of film I have to develop sitting in my fridge.)

BTW, POS might mean 'point and shoot'.

August 28, 2012 @ 6:46 AM

Mike from Lowville

A phone is a phone. A camera is a camera. I have a phone that I talk into. It has a camera, I can play games and text but do neither. I use my Sony POS to take great pics and the battery lasts for ever. I can load up my many sticks with thousands of Hi def pics. Try that with a phone.

August 28, 2012 @ 7:18 AM

Cambo

It's also about the convenience. I don't bring my camera (when it worked) with me every where I go. I do have my phone all the time and can take pictures of them doing whatever any time and know the pictures look great.

August 28, 2012 @ 8:20 AM

Corey

Mike from Lowville and Neville - that's the thing though. Phone cameras aren't crappy any more. I will put the image quality of my 8 megapixel iPhone camera against the average point and shoot any day. Right now I have about 200 full resolution pictures on the phone. I plug it into my laptop via USB and voila! They're backed up there in a couple of minutes. This phone is also capable of shooting full HD (1080p 30 fps) video.
By the way, megapixels beyond a certain point are a useless measure of quality, unless perhaps you're printing billboard sized prints. If you were to compare a 3 megapixel 5x7 pic against a 6 megapixel 5x7 pic taken by similar quality cameras you won't see a difference. It's marketing hype that consumers lap up.

August 28, 2012 @ 8:23 AM

Douglas

My Sony Xperia Android phone takes excellent photos, up to 8.1 mpx in "normal" mode, 6.1 mpx in widescreen/landscape mode. So did my previous slider bar Sony phone (up to 8.1 mpx). But, like any pinhole camera - don't bother zooming. Digital zoom just is not very good next to even an average point-and-shoot optical zoom lens.

My point-and-shoot cameras (also Sony, but that's a coincidence) have Carl Zeiss lenses and take very good photos. Megapixels don't mean a thing if your lens isn't very good. That's one reason I ended up buying a Sony point-and-shoot after a comparison demonstration at a camera store. Despite having "only" 7.2 mpx, the Sony photo looked better on the large store monitor than the 10.1 mpx and 12.1 mpx images taken on more-expensive cameras from two well-known, reputable brands. They all took good photos, and I know there are other factors to consider, but the camera with the best lens "won".

August 28, 2012 @ 12:15 PM

Wayner

i think the real debate is film vs. digital...or has that been done already?

I like both but due to convenience digital wins out

August 28, 2012 @ 1:37 PM

@Wayner

I think the film vs. digital debate wrapped up five years ago.

August 28, 2012 @ 1:43 PM

Argie

Corey,

I agree megapixels are over-stated in marketing and most people can't see the difference but the more you have the better (if everything else is equal) - especially if you're cropping some of your photos.

August 29, 2012 @ 9:28 AM