My Beloved Olympus Stylus 410

picturesI've got 4,851 photos in my Flickr account, and the vast majority were taken with my trusty ol' Olympus Stylus 410. I got this 4mp Olympus camera for my birthday in June 2004 and four years later I still love this camera.

A couple of years ago, my wife wanted a camera, so we went out and bought her the newer version of the same model, except 6 megapixels instead of 4. You'd think a more recent version of the same camera with more megapixels would be a better camera, but it's not. I'm never happy with the pictures from that camera and if both are within arms reach, I always grab mine.

Four years is pretty old for a digital camera, and I have no interest in an upgrade, but recently about 5-10% of shots taken won't render. It's as if they're only partially complete and I'm forced to delete them. Whether I like it or not, I might be getting a new camera this birthday, but I won't be buying into the Myth of Megapixels.

What's a good point and shoot digicam in the $300 to $500 range to replace my beloved Olympus Stylus 410?

stylus 410

Stephanie Wilkinson

Canon SD810. It replaced my stolen Canon G2 and I LOVE it. 7.1 Megapixels and gives me a perfect shot - everytime!

March 1, 2008 @ 7:41 PM

Rob

Any Panasonic TZ series would be an ideal replacement!

Cheers!

March 1, 2008 @ 9:13 PM

Fred

I got my sister a Canon SD750 for her birthday - she loves it and has taken great photos with it. It is 7.1 megapixels with a 3x optical zoom.

March 1, 2008 @ 9:27 PM

Fred

If you want a camera with a higher zoom (12x optical) the Canon S5 IS is a good choice. I picked this one up recently for a trip over seas since I did not want to carry around my SLR.

March 1, 2008 @ 9:34 PM

Jill

My first digital camera was the Canon A60. It took beautiful photos and was easy to use. My friends would even ask me to use my camera to take photos of their kids, or events, etc. rather than using their own camera as they liked the photo quality of my shots better. Read reviews here:

March 1, 2008 @ 11:16 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

I love my Canon and if you remember something odd happened to it which I have yet to investigate. When and if I have to replace it I won't even blink, I'll choose another Canon.

I have the Canon PowerShot A430

Anyone know the cost of repairing a camera VS replacing it? I can only guess that the answer is 'buying a new one would be cheaper'. I base this on our consumerist, Wal-Mart loving society who sets the bar so high when it comes to standards of quality and ethics.

March 2, 2008 @ 8:39 AM

Toronto Mike

Jason, buying a new one would be cheaper.

March 2, 2008 @ 8:58 AM