The 1050 CHUM Morning Show in 1987

RadioYouTube user Retrontario frequently uploads fantastic retro-Toronto-centric gems. These clips never fail to bring back a ton of memories for me, so I feature them from time to time.

My mom lights up when she talks about 1050 CHUM. Her "Top 40" 1050 CHUM ended on June 6, 1986, and that 1050 CHUM, if you excuse a brief run as an all-sports station, ended on March 25, 2009.

This clip is of the morning show crew a year after leaving Top 40 for "Favourites of Yesterday and Today". Here we see Gerry Forbes, Brian Henderson, Mary Garofalo, Mike Cleaver and Robbie Evans doing their thing.

On a related note, I frequently get emails asking if I know where Brian Henderson can now be found. Does anyone know what Brian Henderson is up to these days?

chumbug

Wasn't your mom the kind of person they were going for in that commercial?

March 7, 2010 @ 10:34 AM

At some point my mom switched from 1050 CHUM to 104.5 CHUM-FM. She's still there...

March 7, 2010 @ 10:37 AM

Down Goes Brown

Here's a transcript of my thoughts, beginning at the 0:15 mark: "Hey, that's a hilarious fake mousta -- oh."

March 7, 2010 @ 11:07 AM

Yellow Board

Brian Henderson is retired after suffering major heart problems.

March 7, 2010 @ 8:03 PM

rick

Bruce Marshall says he ran into him a while back. He said Henny looked great in retirement.

March 8, 2010 @ 12:23 PM

Gayle

Henny is doing well. Yes he had serious health problems but after chemo he was well and ready to return to CHUM only he wasn't welcomed back. His family is fine, the Wonder Kid is getting married this summer and Gayle is still working. We consider ourselves very lucky because we still get to hear his great stories and his interpretation of the news and events. Thanks for caring.

March 12, 2010 @ 8:55 PM

Anonymous

missing Henny

January 11, 2011 @ 4:44 PM

Flo Willis

I remember when the 'Wonder Kid' was born - I grew up with CHUM and still remember the Al Boliska jokes. What a great time that was !!! I'm glad to hear that Henny is doing well.

December 20, 2011 @ 9:46 AM

Brian Henderson

Since I have no idea what"URL" and all that other computer mumbo-jumbo means, I'll skip straight to the meat.
Yes I have had, and to a lesser degree, continue to have health issues.
The reason I was terminated at CHUM however had nothing to do with health.
I was fired because I was too old, making too much money.
FULL STOP!
In the meantime, I have grown quite comfortable in retiremenf. Comfortable because of the age old advice,
"always marry a younger woman, so that even when you're downsized, at least one of you is working. All of the children have finally left home.
Oldest Gillian is back in school in Vancouver taking her masters.
Youngest Erin has crossed the street and is now working for TSN, while kyle, "The Wonderkid" has graduated with his teaching degree, right in the middle of an era when there are no teaching jobs, Just like his Father,he too has a supportive wife with a good job, and so we're all doing fine.
Accept for the job part.
Anyone know of any teachinbg possibilities for Kyle?
He lives in Burlington, but will eagerly travel.
HENNY

January 8, 2012 @ 9:41 PM

Fred Trainor

Hey Brian! Remember this?:
"He only gets his hair cut once a year, and they call him Country"
"If he's done a day's work, it ain't been around here, and they call him Country".
Retired and living in Penticton, BC, your Barrie Buddy, Fredie T.

March 28, 2013 @ 12:57 AM

Lynn Broughton

Hi Henny!
Glad to hear you are doing well. My wife and I listened to your program every morning and enjoyed every minute. You really kick-started our day with your humour. When you weren't on one morning, we couldn't figure out what the hell happened. We thought the worst and we're really glad that wasn't the case. Anyway, since you've been gone, morning radio is not the same. Nobody's got a good sense of humour any more.
Just wanted to say "Hi" and thank you for the many mornings of pleasure you gave us. Have a great and happy retirement!
Lynn & Joan

July 31, 2013 @ 4:32 AM

Sheila

Henny made my morning commute to work enjoyable. I had been a loyal fan from my teenage years in the 60's.
When Chum went to sports and then to all news I switched to CKCO 1150 in Hamilton.
Glad to hear Brian is doing well.

April 9, 2014 @ 11:47 AM

Pat

I don't know anything about HTML tags and usually have to wait for son to come and kick start the computer. I do know that Brian Henderson was the best morning man (person?) on the Toronto airwaves (Keith Rich was second) and I still miss the commentary which I usually found to be dead on. Toronto radio just hasn't been the same.

September 6, 2014 @ 11:49 AM

Eldred Maggott

Of all the interesting things you aired in the mornings the best was the morning commentary which I waited to hear every morning.Still miss it in the morning.
How about having a book published with all the commentaries you aired way back then,I'll for sure buy a copy!

January 16, 2016 @ 8:49 PM