1050 CHUM Now CP24 Radio 1050

RadioMy mom often talks about listening to 1050 CHUM back in the day. It sounds like it was quite the station, I'm sorry I missed the glory days of CHUM AM.

From the CTVglobemedia press release:

CTV also announced today that CP24 will further extend its well-established brand within the GTA with the launch of CP24 Radio 1050, going live tomorrow morning at 5 a.m. CP24 Radio 1050 will broaden the reach of CP24’s local news coverage even further by offering 24-hour news content on a whole new platform. Following the mantra "we’re always with you," viewers can watch CP24 on television, listen on the radio, and follow along online at cp24.com – no matter where they may be, at home, at work, or in the car.

It seems as if CTVglobemedia is going after more of Rogers' pie by pitting CP24 Radio 1050 against 680News. We'll see if this is another Team1050 in time, but for now I want to know what will happen with the awesome CHUM Charts archived at 1050chum.com.

Here's the chart from the day I was born. Grab the chart from the day you were born while you can.

chart.19740622A

Sarah

This is sad news indeed. I loved how CHUM brought back their old jingles from the 60s of late. I tuned in still on occasion, especially in the car, and also talked to my son about how it was THE station when we were kid - he even could sing the jingles.
A particularly good week for the CHUM chart was May 20th, 1968. "It's a beautiful morning" by the Rascals was #6.

March 25, 2009 @ 12:06 PM

James Edgar

I was going LOL at the lame tunes on your chart. Then i looked at the one for my birthday. Elvis is on there 4 time Bobby Darin at least twice an Pat fricken Boone is on there. But so is the 'Monster mash" so it's not all bad :)

March 25, 2009 @ 12:39 PM

Horonymous

So CTV will tranmit the audio of CP24 on 1050 am?
I wonder how many folks will be laid off?

March 25, 2009 @ 12:46 PM

Toronto Mike

My songs are WEAK.

Except for "Sundown" "Takin' Care of Business" and "Rikki, Don't Lose That Number".

Horonymous makes a good point. How many more CTV layoffs will there be?

In related news, the CBC is laying off 800 people.

March 25, 2009 @ 12:52 PM

Mike from Lowville

I count 30 birthdays, ('57 to '87 but I guess CHUM has not been around as long as I have. Looks like the last one was CHART NUMBER 1538 : June 14, '86. I have a few charts from the 60's and early 70's from CKOC in Hamilton. That was my station of choice. Around late '69 I started listening to Marsden on CHUM FM.

March 25, 2009 @ 1:03 PM

Anonymous

Better be careful or else Marvin Hamlisch will kick your ass.

March 25, 2009 @ 1:07 PM

Randall Johnston

I'd rather not listen to blather.

March 25, 2009 @ 3:14 PM

Jill

I loved 1050 CHUM. When I was living overseas I would listen in via my fathers Shortwave radio. It made me feel rooted to home(Canada)

March 25, 2009 @ 6:13 PM

elvis

It's redirected to the CP24 website now. I missed it.

March 25, 2009 @ 6:53 PM

dale

Lived & died with 1050 CHUM (I was a CHUM bug) during 60's & early 70's. I collected CHUM charts & have over 100 of them including the last one. Of all the DJ's during 60's & 70's the only one's I think that are still in broadcasting is Roger Ashby & JD Roberts (CNN now). Some have passed on (Jungle Jay Nelson & Tom Rivers). Hal Weaver, Brian Skinner, Bob Laine, J. Micheal Wilson (with Rodny the Rodent), Chuck McCoy, John Rode, Scott Carpenter, Jim Van Horne etc.
I listened to 1050 on the way home tonight & nothing was said about changes for tomorrow as they are still promoting the morning show with Gord James & the song of the day.
Eventually this was going to happen & hearing last while that Chorus Radio stations will be going through changes shortly due to decrease in advertising & sponsorship $.
1050 CHUM was a part of my life I will never forget.
RIP.

March 25, 2009 @ 7:01 PM

Toronto Mike

Open Letter to the Folks at CTVglobemedia:

Release your CHUM Charts to me and I will host them. In fact, I'll go further than that. I'll make them searchable and accessible to anyone who wants to pursue these historical artifacts of Toronto's radio history.

Free the CHUM Charts!

March 25, 2009 @ 7:21 PM

dale

AMEN Mike - I'm missing a few. At least I have the last one in good shape.
Other names forgotten earlier - Larry Solway, John Gilbert, Dick Smythe, Brian Henderson, Duff Roman & many more I've forgotten.

March 25, 2009 @ 7:50 PM

chris

CHUM charts are an archive of Toronto history.

1050 CHUM started the evolution of rock stations in Toronto. FM stations evolved from them in 70's including other AM stations, CFTR & CKOC (Hamilton).
The 1st Beatles & Stones concerts in Toronto were brought by CHUM in the 60's.

March 25, 2009 @ 9:17 PM

Michael Checkley

March 26, 2009. The day the music died. Again.

March 26, 2009 @ 10:07 AM

Sharon

I couldn't believe my ears this morning! I had no idea CHUM was going off the air. I did one of their music surveys and entered the on-line contests this past weekend! I remember when they switched to news a few years back. They came back to music then - maybe they'll do it again? I really don't think we need another all news radio station. I don't watch or listen to the news now - too depressing - so CHUM was my escape. Guess I'll be tuning in to Hamilton now, but I won't get my traffic and weather updates. This has been a very sad day for me.... I have to agree with Michael Checkley - today is the day the music died. Again.

March 26, 2009 @ 6:36 PM

Tony

Oh crap! Looks like the Chum Chart archives have been removed. I've searched and searched and it doesn't appear as if they were archived elsewhere. I'm in the process of retrieving the charts from archive.org, but this is going to take some time. Sad.

March 27, 2009 @ 12:06 AM

CHRISTIAN

I LIKE THE NEW CP24 1050 RADIO ON THE OLD 1050 CHUM DIAL. I THINK ITS COOL I LIKE CP24 BUT I MISS THE 1050 CHUM TORONTO OLDIES AND SLEEP DREAMS THAT WAS PLAYED ON CHUM FROM 1050PM TO 12AM LOVE SONGS. I WILL MISS THAT PROGRAM. I THUT 1050 CHUM WAS MOVING DOWN TOWN ON 299 QUEEN ST. INSTEAD CHUM GONE OFF AIR AND CHANGE TO CP24 WHICH IS LIVE AT 299 QUEEN. ST. I BE LISTEN TO ANOTHER OLDIES STATION .

March 27, 2009 @ 10:04 AM

chris

Seriously, is anyone else out there as pissed off as I am? I just finished reading the newspaper and watching the news on TV. I got into my car and turned to one of my favourite stations. What did I get? More news! You know: that incessant blathering that is typical of "all talk" radio.

I agree, if we can't have the station, we should be able to revisit the CHUM charts.

March 27, 2009 @ 2:17 PM

valerie

i left for Cuba on March 19 for a week vacation, come back March 27, turn on my radio, dazed &confused thinking it was just holidays
to find out THAT MY FAVORITE RADIO STATION IS GONE whats going on in this world doesn't anyone like rock/roll any more. We hear /watch/read bad news CAN'T WE JUST LISTEN TO SOME GOOD OLD ROCK & ROLL AND ENJOY OURSELFS?????????????

March 28, 2009 @ 12:38 AM

Bob

Indeed, a sad and very surprising day for all of us "CHUMbugs" to find a lame simulcast of CP24 on 1050 with no warning whatsoever, and does the suits at CTV actually think that this will compete with 680News?
I dont know why they cant leave things alone, and this time theres no internet link, no CHUM chart archives, no nothing!
I give this lame CPradio 1050 6 months and itll be gone!
Also, as probably a lot of people, i dont even watch CP24 much anymore when it became a version of "channel 9 news"!

March 28, 2009 @ 11:46 AM

Bob

Also, does someone have an email address for CTV globemedia so we can email them and tell them what we all think of this ridiculous decision of theirs?

March 28, 2009 @ 11:49 AM

tony

1050 chum is the reason chum city inc. got so big, all the money that 1050 chum made when they were the # 1 RADIO IN CANADA, the great DJ's that make them #1 and thatis how the knew management treats an ICON THAT WAS 1050 CHUM ALWAYS ON MY DIAL AND IN MY HEART, I LOV THE LATE 1050 CHUM. R. I. P.

March 28, 2009 @ 12:41 PM

Annie Travis

I'm jonesing already!!!! I had CHUM streaming on my browser: now all of a sudden, no more CHUM!!! I've been listening since I was a kid- I live on the border- and I never realized how much of the music we listened to growing up was Canadian, and not available to the rest of the USA!
CHUM, am I gonna miss you!!!!

March 28, 2009 @ 11:26 PM

J. G.M, L.

Listened to 1050 chum since 1957. They made a mistake over a year ago, when they took the music off the air.

March 29, 2009 @ 7:46 AM

Ned

I don't care for the sneaky way they did it, sneaking out overnight under cover of darkness.

March 29, 2009 @ 2:39 PM

Chris

No more CHUM ? Go to Rockitradio on the net and listen to great 50s / 60s music. You can even buy many vintage radio shows on CD from rock's golden age. You just knew they were going to shove BT/CP24 crap on us sooner or later. I'm tunin' out.

March 29, 2009 @ 6:52 PM

Tony

This is a real sad day for Canadian music and it's cultural roots.

March 29, 2009 @ 11:15 PM

Kev

people of Toronto revolt - the water of the Don River will flow red with blood until 1050 CHUM rises like a phoenix once again!

March 29, 2009 @ 11:47 PM

Jim

This is very sad and unfortunate. My sister, my friends and myself all grew up listening to "1050 Chum...TORONTO" in the 1960's and 1970's. This station will be missed. I still enjoyed listening in and reconnecting periodically until this past week and now have no reason to tune in to AM. Guess this is a sign of the times, however, gonna miss you CHUM and will NOT be listing to CP24 on the radio. Guess management has chosen to write-off the segment of your audience over 40. I am truly hoping that someone in the GTA will pick-up the 60's-80's format CHUM offered and can still be heard in many USA markets (ie KOOL- Denver CO on the internet). Very sad news.

March 29, 2009 @ 11:50 PM

Jim (recently returned to GTA!)

This is very sad and unfortunate. My sister, my friends and myself all grew up listening to "1050 CHUM...TORONTO" in the 1960's and 1970's. This station will be missed. I still enjoyed listening in and reconnecting periodically until this past week and now have no reason to tune in to AM. Guess this is a sign of the times, however, gonna miss you CHUM and will NOT be listing to CP24 on the radio. Guess management has chosen to write-off the segment of your audience over 40. I am truly hoping that someone in the GTA will pick-up the 60's-80's format CHUM offered and can still be heard in many USA markets (ie KOOL- Denver CO on the internet). Very sad news.

March 29, 2009 @ 11:51 PM

Eric Thorne

Toronto radio so messed up .Now we got cp24 on 1050am. Are these people stupid.1050 Chum was a icon for Toronto but now CTV messed it all up. Ihope this wont last long.They need to bang there heads on the Wall maybe there brains will work again.

March 30, 2009 @ 7:47 AM

Renate

I am very saddened by this, we have enough news stations and news media to depress thoroughly but we had a choice. Now we don't and CHUM will be missed especially since I woke up with 1050 every day for the past 26 years since I moved here and I loved the oldies. Bad choice! What happened to all the people, anyone know?

March 30, 2009 @ 9:08 AM

Dan

I listen to CHUM every day from the USA on the internet, especially Beatle Hour ever Fri at 12PM. How stupid to put an all news program in this time frame. I really hope and pray u fail and realize that without 1050 CHUM YOU ARE NOTHING.

March 30, 2009 @ 8:53 PM

Gordon

1050 CHUM is gone! Are they crazy! This is like turning off Niagara Falls. This can't be happening, But wait, could it be an April Fools joke. That's what it is. CHUM will be back on the air on April 2nd. But if Chum does not come back Obama will not be pleased.

March 30, 2009 @ 8:54 PM

disgusted

Oh great. A Toronto radio classic has been replaced with the radio equivalent of the Toronto Sun.
I see that the website www.1050chum.com is forwarded to the cp24 website, so they are trying to cover up the incompetence of this brainless scheme by erasing all existence of a proud tradition, like we're too stupid to remember what they have taken away from Toronto. So no more chum chart archive.
Good thing that there's CKOC oldies 1150 in Hamilton, which is almost identical in format, in fact I like it better because there's less talk. Most people in the Toronto area should be able to get it. For those of you out of region you can listen on line too, at http://www.oldies1150.com/

Screw the suits!

March 31, 2009 @ 12:24 AM

Alex

How could you replace the greatest music in the world with all talk news. Completely rediculous!
I guess it's 1150 from now on.

March 31, 2009 @ 11:45 AM

ELLIE

I'M SORRY I DON'T BELIEVE WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE.....WHO WANTS TO LISTEN TO MORE NEWS,NEWS,NEWS.ENOUGH ALREADY.....
I'VE BEEN LISTENING TO CHUM AND SO HAS MILLIONS OF OTHERS SINCE THE 1950'S....THIS IS QUITE OUTRAGEOUS.....TORONTO IS NOTHING WITHOUT CHUM 1050 RADIO....I'M ONLY HOPING THAT THEY WILL COME TO THEIR SENSES AND ONCE AGAIN PUT OUR GOOD OLD OLDIES BACK ON THE AIR....1050 CHUM.....UNTIL THEN I'LL HAVE TO LISTEN TO 1150 CKOC HAMILTON RADIO FOR THEIR OLDIES....THEY HAVE GOOD MUSIC ON THERE.....I'M SADDENED AT THIS NEWS....LIKE EVERYONE ELSE.... ISN'T IT ENOUGH TO HAVE THE 24 HOUR NEWS ON TELEVISION......
WHAT A BIG SHAME!!!!

April 1, 2009 @ 1:30 AM

Mike

I was always listening on line to 1050CHUM. This station was the best thing since our original pirate stations in the '60's and with traffic info and news bulletins, it was real radio - not just an on-line juke box. I felt your cold temperatures! The Canadian content meant so many more hits unplayed in the UK. We need the CHUM charts to research the answers to'who sung that...?'
1050CHUM is sorely missed.

April 1, 2009 @ 2:21 PM

Nancy J

I absolutely could not believe it Mon. morning when I tuned in on the way to work. There had to be some mistake.
And what happens? CHUM 1050 celebrates their 50th anniversary, big Hoopla and then without warning to all their loyal listeners for half a century, they're just cut. Well this really sucks and I for one will never listen to 1050 again as long as its a news station. What were they thinking?

April 1, 2009 @ 4:04 PM

Fast Eddy

I have been listening to the oldies since long before they bacame oldies on 1050 chum and will miss them streaming in when I am at my cottage on the East Coast. Oh well, on to 11:50.
PS; Still miss Brian Henderson

April 1, 2009 @ 4:09 PM

Ron Johnson

It's bad enough to continually see Ann Rohmer's ugly mug on CP24 TV - but to hear her obnoxious voice on the great rock and roll station that 1050 was ... a sad day for Toronto

April 1, 2009 @ 4:32 PM

Grace

I'm glad to see that I am not the only one who is disgusted to discover that CHUM has been replaced by a radio station whose staff are so obnoxious that I can't stand to listen to them. What happened to the James gang and the other regulars on CHUM. Where they fired?

April 2, 2009 @ 3:11 PM

Grace

No more CHUM? No more listening to its weak replacement. 1150 is now my choice.

April 2, 2009 @ 3:13 PM

Elke

I must be the only 30 year old writing a comment here. I will truely miss listening to 1050 Chum. It was the one radio station my father and I always listened to in the car together. I even had it programmed in my car and tuned in every morning. Since I can't get 1150 on my dial, I'll be tuning into 740. Hopefully they stick around and/or 1050 makes a comeback!

April 3, 2009 @ 2:46 PM

Anonymous

Chum is a grand historical legend in it's own time. Alot of the broadcasting up and comers, as well as the greats worked there. I had the pleasure of knowing some of them personally. Chum is like the Exhibition. It'll never die, no matter what the trumps of the world want. Also, Putting a few mediocre talking heads on and calling it CP24 radio just ain't makin it!

April 3, 2009 @ 8:23 PM

Dorothy

I thought my world had ended when CHUM AM changed to their sports venue - then I was reborn again. Now they have really gone and done it. I'm not sure whether I'm more upset by the station being replaced by MORE news or by the fact that there wasn't any notice. I listened to 1050 CHUM over the internet every night. When I was continually re-routed to CP24, I actually telephoned CHUM radio to find out why. It was then that I was told 1050 CHUM AM was no more. I really do hope they come to their senses and put back what should never have been taken away in the first place.

April 5, 2009 @ 2:32 PM

Lauren

It's as though we've learned of the passing of a dear friend. CHUM (the name says it all) was such a big part of my life since the second year of its existence. Remember the hot summer nights when you could sleep out in the backyard, nothing but a sleeping bag, pillow, your jammies, a popsicle and a transistor radio tuned to CHUM? I won tickets to see the Beatles, I won a TV, I remember in August when "CHUM Chex from the Ex!" and you could watch them broadcast live at the CNE. I met a lot of the DJs such as Brian Skinner (I remember his Grooveyard - The Dusky Dungeon of Dear Departed Discs - where he played "oldies" usually from the '50s), Dave Johnson, Bob McAdory and Al Boliska (before he went to CKEY). And I loved Jungle Jay's "Hello Toronto"; hilarious! I appreciate this opportunity to reminisce with you. I will miss my oldest, dearest CHUM.

April 5, 2009 @ 8:21 PM

C.W.

My brother was visiting recently when, upon turning the radio dial, we both realized, to our complete astonishment, that 1050CHUM was no more. What an incredibly underhanded and insensitive way of dismissing a Toronto (and Canadian) cultural institution without letting the city know about it. I live just down the street from the (soon to be former) CHUM building and happened to be walking by one evening last year when they clandestinely took down the iconic CHUM neon sign. These corporate media organizations are quite frankly, simply despicable.

April 6, 2009 @ 5:36 PM

Judy

Again, the powers at be have decided that another TALK show is needed.

I said I wouldn't go back to listening to CHUM after they removed my favourite station with the Sports program. But when the finally realized that people don't G-IVE A- R-ATS A-SS about forever hearing of sports, they relented and went back to our music. I too relented and came back to CHUM.

After this total disregard of the feelings of loyal fans, even if you DID decide to return to the oldies, I WILL NOT RETURN.

1150 Hamilton and 740 will be MY CHOICE from now on. I hope that I am not the only one who has not only written here but have personally written to CP24 to vent my outrage.

NEVER AGAIN!!

April 7, 2009 @ 7:02 AM

Barb

In these troubled times we need a "get away".
Music is always the answer.
Not more news.
We can just change the channel. Bye 1050 hello 98.1

April 8, 2009 @ 9:24 AM

gary carson

1150 CKOC gets another listener. Big mistake making an all news & talk radio station.

April 9, 2009 @ 10:02 AM

Alex

There's plenty of news coverage in Toronto. We don't need CP24 on radio as well as online and TV. I also wish we didn't have a rating system for radio stations. The rating system sucks.It's based on personal opinions and nothing more.

April 9, 2009 @ 2:52 PM

Jane

WTF?? I've been on holiday and came back to find all news & gloom & doom on my 1050!! This makes me sick, who were the morons who thought up this mess? Didn't work the last time... If it ain't broke don't fix it!! Why screw with a great station. Idiots, I'll never listen to that crap. Jungle Jay & all the greats must be turning over their graves...again! Barb is right music is ALWAYS the answer. I miss Brian Henderson too.

April 9, 2009 @ 8:00 PM

Gary

WTF is right, who was the idiot who thought of this. I am pissed because they tried it a few years ago, and it did not work, they also tried all sports, and that did not work, can they not understand we were loyal listeners. I have already deleted the frequency from my car radio, and now listen to 1150 CKOC, or 1460 CJOY. I think that I will also stop watching CP24. I enjoyed watching CP24 with a coffee in the morning before going to work, but it is just rubbish on the radio. It's the pencil neck geeks in the suits that dream this up, they never had a clue before, and they don't now. Short term profit, and no long term vision, thats what wrong with this business model we have now, and thats why we have the mess that we have in our economy. Your fired!!!

April 10, 2009 @ 9:49 PM

Brenda

I am deeply saddened that yet, we have another news radio talk show. I truly loved 1050 CHUM and it boggles my mind that you would just dismiss this station for news. How many times, do we have to see the same news over and over and over and over and over again, especially when it is breaking news!!!!!!!

April 11, 2009 @ 3:06 PM

DURF / Gasport NY

Being from the Buffalo area we listen to WKBW 1520, back in the day.But on vacation in Wasaga Beach in the 60s 1050chum was bomb,you could here that 50,000 watt flamethrower up and down the the beach cranking out the beach boys or the beatles,or the sunday five friends went up to Yonge St to cruise with Wolfman Jack ,am radio in Buffalo is all talk your, gonna hate it ,they could put on 104.5 fm couldnt they.We sill would listen it comes in clear !

April 12, 2009 @ 7:38 PM

Cam

I experienced my first listen to CP24 today as I came across it merely by coincidence while I was tuning out the misnamed '680 ALL NEWS RADIO'should be called '680 ALL COMMERCIAL RADIO'. I had always wished for a true ALL NEWS station and I hope CP24 meets my expectations. However, I noticed soon afterwards that it reverted to a product discussion. I hope this format is only temporary and that it will hopefully take the lead as a pure [b]ALL NEWS RADIO STATION>[/b]

April 20, 2009 @ 1:20 AM

Bob

In fairness, you have to have commercials to pay the bills!

April 20, 2009 @ 4:40 PM

Anonymous

This is a real sad day for Canadian music and it's cultural roots.

Excuse me, but are you on crack or something? Toronto needs an oldies station like I need a hole in my head. I'm glad that it's gone, and hopefully Bob & June Baby Boom can get off of their asses and go and buy classic rock at the record store like they used to before some asshole on Madison Avenue decided that everybody had to hear the Beatles five times a day on radio. Good riddance.

I only wish that this organization, which started in the 1980's, was still around:

For the fledgling American Association for the Advancement of Time, this may be the finest hour. Yet its members - all three of them - vow never to look back longingly on these early days since their purpose is to make nostalgia a thing of the past.

Right now they are basking in the sunlight of publicity, three men in their 20's who are sick of 60's.

There is Eugene Dillenburg, the registrar of a small college in Chicago, who unwittingly triggered the publicity by handing out humorous fliers at a performance of a theater group called the Neofuturists. There is Bruce Elliott, a Los Angeles social worker, who suspects he became the organization's president ''because I'm the only one who has met the other two.'' And there is John Kinney, a bartender in Flushing, Queens, who discovered his parents' Beatles records at the age of 12 and has been playing them ever since.

Yes, paradoxically, the anti-nostalgia trio belongs to a Beatles fan club.

Even as they listen to ''Yesterday,'' though, they speak as ''the unofficial voice of a forgotten generation'' that finds itself trapped in another generation's nostalgia, 1980's style: ''classic rock'' radio, Vietnam retro television series, tie-dyed fashions, ''The Wonder Years,'' the California Raisins dancing to ''I Heard It Through The Grapevine.''

If the 1960's generation wants to live in a warped version of its past, fine, Mr. Dillenburg said, ''but their sheer numbers are forcing me to live in their past.''

Mr. Kinney said, ''The 80's pop culture is so firmly entrenched in the 60's, that kids who would otherwise be discovering the world around them are wishing they had gone to Woodstock.'' Crushing Creativity

The reason their generation is criticized as one without a culture, they said, is that the weight of baby-boom demographics or ''the media nostalgia complex'' is crushing creativity or driving it underground.

''The boomers are a big market so advertisers want to reach them,'' Mr. Dillenburg said. ''Radio wants advertisers so they pander to the boomers. Here in Chicago we have eight or nine oldie stations, which leaves little room for what we call the 80's culture.''

What exactly is the 80's culture? Madonna, Bruce Springsteen, MTV will be among the mass memories, but not necessarily the particular memories of these three men. They can cite obscure post-punk bands and avant-garde theater groups. They are thinking of writing a primer on contemporary culture. Sudden Fame

Like this culture, they, too, have been underground. But suddenly, a week or so ago, the members of the Association for the Advancement of Time found themselves in journalism's glare. It seems one of the fliers given to the Neofuturists inspired an article in a weekly newspaper, The Chicago Reader, which touched off an Associated Press story, then a story on page 1 of USA Today. The headline read, ''Boom lowered on baby boomer 'culture.' '' Fame. It felt good. In New York, The Daily News ran an editorial accusing the group of sour grapes and speculating that what they will look back on are fax machines and oat bran. There were radio and television interviews.

What began almost as a lark had taken a serious turn, too serious in their view. But there have been comic moments such as the call from a Minnesota television station. Would one of them care to fly out for a Vietnam debate with an actor on the television series ''China Beach''?

In Los Angeles, Mr. Elliott roared. ''This was not a real Vietnam vet, but a guy who only plays a vet on TV,'' he said. ''It was beyond satire.''

Since falling into the mainstream news, they say they have received more than 200 letters. Some were of the ''You brats, how dare you?'' variety, but most were requests for information on membership, goals and programs.

As a result, the trio has been conferring at least once a day by phone (not very 80's, but their computer systems are incompatible). They are thinking of setting up an anti-nostalgists' electronic bulletin board and they already have a few goals.

One is to understand the past and put it in perspective. ''What's happening is people are remembering Woodstock and forgetting Altamont, remembering the Monkees and forgetting the women's movement,'' Mr. Kinney said.

He added that another is to keep a vision of the future, saying, ''What made the 60's a vibrant time was the idea of walking on the moon, looking forward.''

For the group's Boycott-the-Past campaign, Mr. Kinney is passing out fliers this weekend at the site of the 1964 World's Fair in Flushing, next to the Unisphere. Why?

''Well,'' Mr. Elliott said, ''they're celebrating the 25th anniversary of the '64 World's Fair, which in itself was the 25th anniversary of the '39 World's Fair. So it's the 50th anniversary of World of Tomorrow.

''But the ultimate statement is that 25, 50 years later, we're not doing anything like that. All we're doing is remembering the future as seen in the past, which is pretty weird.''

April 21, 2009 @ 6:10 AM

Shirley

I've been listening to CHUM since I was born (1947) and my sisters would have it on. Waited every week for the new CHUM Chart to come out. I still can't wait to get in my car and blast the old tunes out and sing along. Sad that's it's no longer possible. Now I have to tune in to Hamilton. Please bring back the oldies.

April 21, 2009 @ 9:09 AM

Anonymous

Shirley, as I said before, you can get off of your butt and buy some oldies CD's at HMV or Sunrise-you don't need 1050 CHUM for that. Let's face facts, people; 1050 CHUM was losing money, and would not have survived long anyway (AM music radio is dying), so keeping it as it was would have ended sooner or later. I think that sooner is better. You're a grown woman, not a baby; buying all of those oldies shouldn't be hard for you. If you want, you can always buy a computer, fill its hard drive with as much classic rock as you want, and then listen to it through iTunes or Windows Media Player.

April 22, 2009 @ 2:36 AM

Elaine

I feel like the powers that be have written off we so-called boomers segment of their audience base. Toronto's loss is Hamilton's gain I guess. I grew up in Hamilton and could live with CKOC if not for the signal strength. As one of the technically challenged using I tunes is not a good option for me. Besides which, I have no intention of replacing 680 on my dial with CP24 on 1050. As far as I'm concerned it's a poor substitute. The last thing we need is more news.
Thanks for the memories.

April 24, 2009 @ 5:46 PM

Gary S.

Like many, I miss the oldies on 1050 CHUM, but face it the ratings hit rock-bottom and AM is not the band of choice for music listening. Yet,it's a shame to have a radio institution disappear. But a failing business can't live of off past glories and history. How many times can you play the "Same Old Song" "Over And Over" again? I do hope that the new fomat flops. Who needs another news & talk station? One request, bring back the CHUM Charts? There are other stations -1150 CKOC and AM740.

April 25, 2009 @ 10:27 PM

Anonymous
Who needs another news & talk station?

Who needs another bland & boring Top 40 station playing the same bland & boring pop artists? IF CP24 goes down the tubes, I hope that CTV Globemedia has enough sense to not revive 1050 CHUM, but to create what I'd like to call a CM format station (Contemporary Music) playing contemporary music from up and coming bands we haven't heard of before. If the can't do that, maybe they can make a deal with the music magazine New Musical Express to bring its radio station format to Canada (they play mostly new music and ZERO oldies.) That might work (assuming that AM Stereo can be made viable again...)

April 28, 2009 @ 3:11 AM

Brian

I can live without CHUM as "All Things Must Pass" but I really will miss the Chart Site for its value as a research tool. How much would it have cost to let the CHUM Chart site remain??? CP 24 link is just a mess of ads. No value to me as it looks like a thousand other cluttered "News" sites.

April 30, 2009 @ 12:39 AM

Gerry

CHUM was a major part of my life when I came to Waterdown from here in the UK in 1965 to attend High School. On recent business visits to GTA in 2007/8 it was great to tune the car radio to CHUM and here the same jingles! It's been on my computer for a couple of years now. So sad today to find out it's gone. My surfing here in south Wales will never be the same.

May 4, 2009 @ 10:30 AM

Rae

Shame on you CP24!

May 17, 2009 @ 9:17 AM

Cathy King

A typical Canadian, I reserved sharing my comments until now, but I was and am still disgusted at what happened! I had still enjoyed listening to 1050 CHUM several times a week and I'm sure I wasn't alone. The DJ's were great, the music was great. I'm so glad now I made the trip from Haliburton to Toronto last November to tour the CHUM building on Yonge St. Little did I know then what was going to happen. We don't need news 24/7 we need ROCK N ROLL!

May 27, 2009 @ 6:39 AM

Roger McCrindle

The one thing in life that is true is music. Unfortunately big business does it again. We lose a pleasure of life.

May 30, 2009 @ 8:07 AM

Margaret

The Day the Music Died is so right. I have listened to 1050 CHUM every day since I was in grade seven (1963). My children have been brought up listening to CHUM and the "Oldies" and as young adults still do.
What has happend to all of our songs and the CHUM CHARTS are they scrapped ( I hope not).
CHUM was the only station that had a very special song to me and now I will never hear it again or be able to request it.
I am so very glad that I still have all of my CHUM CHARTS. 1050 is still on my dial in the car but I never listen to CP24 News Radio and never will.

June 2, 2009 @ 3:09 PM

Steve Suekey

Mr. Anonymous just doesn't get it! 1050 Chum was not just a commercial vehicle for making money! It's a legend in it's own time. Alot of people grew up with it. Being in broadcasting myself, when you walked the halls and rooms of Chum, you could feel it's spirit! Those announcers and musicians who have come and gone. The famous and infamous. The influences and fads that people were drawn too! Must be a typical biz guy to just see it as dollars and cents. A real sentimental person. Chum is to radio, what the Beatles and Stones are to music. Get a grip!

June 2, 2009 @ 10:19 PM

Sheena Brennan

As I also was a listener and a fan of 1050 CHUM AM..since the early 60's.I even still have a photo of the CHUM trailor at the EX in 1968!!!
Thank God I went thro the CHUM building last November..I knew things would be different from then on in...but had no idea just how different.
When CHUM turned into "The Team" all sports..that lasted only 18 months...then our beloved oldies were brought back......and I do not believe for a minute the AM station was losing money,afterall there are lots more AM radio stations out there too..and they are not dying.
For all out there that is not a CHUM fan I cannot begin to explain to feeling to lose it.....and for all who are....no words are needed.
Losing 1050 CHUM AM is losing a part of history....
but I am so glad I was a teenager and grew up listening to the greatest Rock n Roll station ever!
Alan Waters.....he would have been very proud of the legacy that his station has.

June 4, 2009 @ 6:10 PM

youngen

I heard it through the grapevine that most of the CHUM employees had no idea about the switch until that day.

June 6, 2009 @ 12:14 AM

Brian

I grew up in Williamsville,NY in Erie County and listened to CHUM.Also my father listened to it on his shift home from the GM plant in Tonawanda. When I moved down here to Rockland County in New York I would still get CHUM on my car radio pushing out the stupid ESPN Radio station. God do I miss the James Gang

June 8, 2009 @ 8:05 PM

Debi-Jene

When I was little I listened to "Jungle Jay Nelson", every
morning on the transistor radio I kept under my pillow.

I ran home at lunchtime in highschool, to get
to the phone for the Chum contests.

Scott Carpenter hosted the History of
Rock & Roll @ our highschool
(in a stunning green leisure suit {oh my} :)
& hosted a dance with a joke contest
(figures I won the joke :(
- up at Wasaga Beach that summer;
staying with a friend at her cottage.

John Rode always delivered stuns,
puns, humour & music with high intelligence.

All the great music indelibly
committed to memory. They were
fun when there wasn't any fun around.
They were family & friends (albeit commercial).
They were people with their own friends
& families, who cared about Toronto.

They reached out to us &
we reached back (what a party!),
because that's how it was.

I imagine for more than myself,
it's a bit of a grieving process.

"Where Have All The Flowers Gone?"

Radio Trivia:
If you play both versions of McArthur's Park,
back to back, you have enough time
to go to the bathroom & grab a coffee :)

June 22, 2009 @ 5:52 PM

South of (your) the border

Gone, ALL GONE!
The BEST, no, GREATEST chart database EVER compiled, and it's ALL GONE!
WHY???
Over the past 5 YEARS, I've been converting all my oldies on old 45's, 33's and CD's to MP3, using the CHUM chart database to tag the time each song was at the height of its run. Now NOTHING. One has to s-l-o-g through two to three different databases just to get CLOSE to the correct year and month, IF you're LUCKY. I am POSITIVE MANY, MANY others are just as sad as I am.

Again WHY delete these??? All the work was done! Just let them sit on the server. All that data (text) can't occupy more than 1 or 2 Gb! It takes more effort to delete, reformat and reassign than just to leave the database alone.

WHY?

Signed: Mr Blue

June 28, 2009 @ 1:44 AM

Toronto Mike

Mr. Blue, you hit the nail on the head.

I'm working on getting them back online...

June 28, 2009 @ 12:12 PM

Barbara

I'd only listened to chum on and off for the last 5 years but I used to listen to Henny all the time. Anyone know where he is? I hope it's not rock and roll heaven.

August 3, 2009 @ 8:56 PM

peter zimm

CHUM was a big part of my life growing up i still have some chum charts they will mean much more to me now!!.i had the honour of meeting John Gilbert,John Rode,Tom Rivers,and Bob Macadorey to name a few when i was working at the ex for a lot of years.the nicest people you could meet and great memories.CP24 stick to tv!!!

October 2, 2009 @ 3:24 PM

Joyce

What ever happened to Brian Henderson? Is he still alive and kicking? I would love to know.

October 7, 2009 @ 9:09 AM

John Mowles

The 1st British groups
(yes... before the BEATLES and STONES ) to play Canada were presented by CHUM at EATON`S AUDITORIUM. The show featured Gerry and the Pacemakers and Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas. Robbie Laine and the Disciples opened the show, which was MC`d jointly by Bob MacAdorey and Jungle Jay Nelson.CHUM wasn`t just a radio station then...it was our way of life. I`m so glad to have been a part of it.

October 27, 2009 @ 3:23 AM

Canuck

The station as we knew is gone, the on-line charts are gone (with the exception of some digging at archive.org). But---WHILE IT LASTS---fans still might want to check out the following and listen to classic shows and interviews... before THAT plug gets pulled too...

Some of the airchecks still have the full-length songs in them. And if you were in Toronto when the Bay City Rollers came that one summer, you won't want to miss the three Bay City Roller airchecks!

December 4, 2009 @ 3:20 AM

Patti

It's unbelievable how cold, corporate minds can simply remove CHUM radio so easily and eliminate such a lengthy and significant part of Toronto's history and cultural life. And for a station that's already on the air? Absolutely shameful. CHUM radio was a breath of fresh air and a bridge back to a happier, less greedy time. Shame on the powers that be. Shame.

December 20, 2009 @ 2:16 AM

David

Hey Joyce, I'm with you. What ever happened to Brian Henderson? His daily comments were an integral part of the mosaic that was CHUM. I miss him.

February 18, 2010 @ 9:31 AM

rhett buckle

The chum chart was design by Eric Sullivan who recently past away.

February 23, 2010 @ 5:25 PM

Anne

So sad that CHUM is no longer. Since last March I have been listening to the Hamilton station (1150 CKOC), but I miss Gord James and the James Gang, along with the late night shows. "The History of Rock" series was second to none and I played the archived broadcasts for a number of friends, music students, etc. To lose this is a shame. I have been listening online for a number of years and back in the 80's listened via shortwave since I live in Nova Scotia. When I married in 1981, CHUM was my nighttime companion while my husband was working nights. CHUM was a favorite not just with Greater Toronto fans but of fans Canada and world wide. Some of my best CHUM memories are of the antics of DJ Tom Rivers, though there were many other greats at the station over the years.

February 26, 2010 @ 3:38 PM

James

This move is typical of this lousy historically apathetic city. Thankfully there's 1580 AM/107.7 FM in Oshawa that plays what CHUM used to play BEFORE they came back after being The Team 1050 (with a bunch of 70's FM garbage). I'm only in my 20's and have always fallen back on the oldies WHEN (not if) modern music doesn't satisfy. Been listening since 1988.

March 14, 2010 @ 12:07 AM

Anonymous

1050 signal strength is not great and the signal flucuates at night east of Yonge St. Put it on FM. It would be a change from 97.3 CHFI and 99.9 and others that sound alike. 100.5 would be a good location if it wasn't for CHIN at 100.7

March 22, 2010 @ 4:00 AM

Anonymous

March 22, 2010 @ 4:01 AM

helene

I just read through a lot of comments. Anonymous from April 21/09 that was quite the blasting you gave us boomers. It's too bad that you feel we should give up our past. Most of us didn't drink until 21 or do drugs or disrespect other peoples properties. Seems we just had fun listening to 1050 chum with our friends. Believe it or not someday you will listening to your music as the good times you had with your friends and someone will tell you to grow up you're now an adult. I miss those DJ's and the music.But I still can listen to Mike Cooper and his jokes. So if he didn't grow up neither will I.

April 25, 2010 @ 10:55 PM

Grace Alexandre 4103 Woodington Drive, Mississauga, Ont. L4Z 1K2

My dial was, in a matter of speaking, "glued to 1050 Chum". It was the firt station I listened to when we got our first radio in 1972.

It really p-ssed me off when I turned on the radio for the first few days, and noticed it was not 1050 CHUM.

It p-ssed me off even more when I phoned them a few weeks later and was told they were gone, history.

I now listen to Oldies 1150. But it just is not the same.
It wasn't just the music that was fantastic -- It was also the D.J.'s who made it worth listening to. They always talked in an exciting, attention-grabbing way. Never in a way to put you to sleep.

I especially miss Brian Henderson and his commentaries.

Grace Alexandre
Mississauga

August 8, 2010 @ 3:02 PM

Grace Alexandre 4103 Woodington Drive, Mississauga, Ont. L4Z 1K2

I now listen to Oldies 1150. But it just is not the same.

I especially miss Brian Henderson and his commentaries.

Grace Alexandre
Mississauga

August 8, 2010 @ 3:03 PM

Anonymous

Curious how well this move has worked. Whereas the oldies version of CHUM got at least a .6 rating (not great) in the Toronto market, the cp24 version gets a .1! Dead air would literally get a better rating.

Thanks CTVglobalmedia for killing a part of Canadian history

August 27, 2010 @ 5:50 PM

Scott

What the hell is the point? This is just the equivalent of putting the TV on CP24 and not looking on the screen at all. It's pointless.

September 30, 2010 @ 11:06 AM

Gary

Loved listening to my radio walkman and listen to special events (like yesterdays leaders debate, or CTV news at 6), while I was walking in the park, by the Lake, or running my errands. It was a great alternative to AM 680. Now with TSN 1050, where am I going to listen to Torontos most popular station

April 13, 2011 @ 12:03 AM

Gary G

April 13, 2011 @ 12:05 AM

Lady

I find that readers respond very well to 1050 CHUM Now CP24 Radio 1050 posts that present your personal weaknesses, failings and the gaps in your individual information relatively than those posts the place you come across as figuring out every thing there is to know on a topic. People are attracted to humility and are extra possible to answer it than a post written in a tone of somebody who would possibly harshly reply to their comments.

May 29, 2011 @ 1:39 PM

Frank Mucci

I have CHUM charts from the '50's. It was the only station to listen to in the morning, afternoon and evening. I am an official "CHUM bug".

If you would like to share memories ... email me.

March 6, 2013 @ 12:43 PM