martinstreek.com: Help Me Get It Back Online

mouseMartin Streek took his own life last July. As you'll see from the 214 comments over there and the many other entries in my Martin Streek Remembered category, Martin was a wildly popular radio deejay in this city, enjoyed by all who heard him and beloved by everyone who met him.

With the one year anniversary of his death coming this summer, I'm disappointed www.martinstreek.com is parked by the host. That typically means the domain name owner hasn't paid and instead of making the domain name available to anyone, the host eNom is holding on to it, hoping the owner will wisen up and pay up. Here's what martinstreek.com looks like right now.

martinstreek

It's possible Martin was the only one with the login details that would ensure we keep his site online, or it's possible someone reading this entry knows who can help with this. If you can help me get Martin's domain name, I'd love to put up a tribute to him at martinstreek.com. Please contact me.

Help me get it back online.

The_Voice

I have no info, but this is an interesting topic on how a persons Will should be updated nowadays.

With all these online accounts that we have, I'm thinking eventually we'll all have documented / stored somewhere a database of all the access information, so that our family members can access it when we pass. This way they don't have to do what your doing right now.

March 18, 2010 @ 3:54 PM

I've given this exact subject some thought. I've already given one person I trust access to my server and Movable Type installation. But you're right - we're all going to die, we can make it easier for those we leave behind to manage our web presence if we put all the passwords in their hands, ideally before we croak.

March 18, 2010 @ 4:00 PM

Airchecker

You sure create strange news.

Airchecker @torontomike Screw the calling. I'm prepared to pay his domain fee and pay 5 years in advance.

March 19, 2010 @ 4:10 AM

Ryan

I know that after 102 did the tribute show, whoever had access to the site had uploaded the mp3's there so someone has access to it. If you want the MP3's, shoot me an email...good luck! I miss Marty!

PS: Airchecker sucks. :)

March 19, 2010 @ 9:05 AM

I've had some tremendous responses to this post... I've just heard from the young woman who helped Martin put martinstreek.com online - she's talking to his mom on my behalf today.

March 19, 2010 @ 10:31 AM

Redacted

Airchecker, don't you have a request line to call, or a remote to stalk?

March 19, 2010 @ 11:51 AM

Beanman

While the hosting account *probably* still exists, and someone at 102 *might* have access to it, it's the domain name itself that has expired. It needs to be active to point to the hosting. It also doesn't help the the domain seems to be registerd through a privacy service. I'd even provide some temporary hosting for a year if you can get that domain back.

You should right a personal appeal to: Whois Privacy Protection Service, Inc.
Whois Agent (xxbpnvdwlc@whoisprivacyprotect.com)
+1.4252740657
Fax: +1.4259744730
PMB 368, 14150 NE 20th St - F1
C/O martinstreek.com
Bellevue, WA 98007
US

March 19, 2010 @ 6:53 PM

Craig

I'm so happy that you have started a groundswell for Martin's site. I haven't listened to CFNY since the Don Berns era.and I barly knew of Martin except for the day he died.At David Marsden's birthday party last week he brought out Martin's Mum Grace, aftertelling his personal story about Martin,quite a touching moment.

March 20, 2010 @ 11:56 AM

Jo Fergus

This doesn't look good...

Based on the registration dates of the domain name, it seems that martinstreek.com likely expired, and was re-registered less than a month ago!

What this indicates is that (once again) some anonymous, lazy, parasitic domain "squatter" is sitting on this known name/brand to generate revenue for themselves with every click on their illegitimate site. The only way to stop them would be through a trademark dispute via WIPO.org

martinstreek.com
Creation date:
27 Feb 2010 13:24:00
Expiration date:
26 Feb 2011 11:19:00

Perhaps somebody can figure out how to reach the OLD HOSTING PROVIDER or CFNY's webmaster to see if there's still any content archived from the original site...and then perhaps at least salvage that material, and put it up under a new domain name...

Sorry, for the grim outlook

R.I.P. Martin

Jo Fergus
ThumbShift.com
EnviroNauts.com

March 20, 2010 @ 7:18 PM

Hershell L.

Fuck The Edge. Fuck CORUS. Fuck it all. Radio is dead, entertainment is dead, artistry is dead.

May 29, 2010 @ 12:24 AM