CHUM Charts Plea to CTVglobemedia

MouseWhen I wrote about 1050 CHUM being re-branded as CP24 Radio 1050, I wondered aloud what would happen to all the CHUM Charts archived online at the CHUM web site. I grabbed the chart from the day I was born because when a station is re-branded this way, the old site is usually taken offline.

At some point this afternoon, that's exactly what happened. Visiting 1050chum.com now gets you redirected to cp24.com. The Google cache of the old 1050chum.com doesn't give you the old charts. They're no longer accessible, and that's a shame.

I love music, I love this city, and I love archiving. CTVglobemedia, if you're reading this, I would love to host the old CHUM Charts so they can be accessible to anyone who wants to peruse these historical artifacts of Toronto's radio history.

CTVglobemedia... free the CHUM Charts!

Toronto Mike

They managed to save the old CHUM Sign, why can't they do the same for the old CHUM web site?

March 25, 2009 @ 7:57 PM

The_Voice

Thanks for the heads up! I was able to grab my birthday chart earlier today!

March 25, 2009 @ 10:14 PM

CQ

Big media cares indeed. I just visited Thursday morning's Toronto edition mainpage of 20%(?) CTVglobemedia owner, Torstar's Toronto Star: no mention of the iconic radio station.
Nothing is shown on its Entertainment section page nor sidebar listing of smaller entertainment stories.

March 26, 2009 @ 9:02 AM

Darryl

I managed to grab most of the 1978-1981 gifs (Toronto Star cutouts) but ran out of time.

At least I can place them somewhere if the charts never resurface.

March 26, 2009 @ 11:42 AM

Horonymous

CTV and Global are not interested in proving quality to Canadians.

March 26, 2009 @ 2:28 PM

Stephanie Wilkinson

Whew! I too was able to get my birthday week. Sorta cool.. I don't like the Beatles, despite the fact they held the one and two spot.

March 26, 2009 @ 4:03 PM

Gail

Okay, I admit it, I have facebook.

I just found a group started in Vancouver that is out to save the charts. Sure, I'm member #3, but it's a start.

Sent it to all my "friends" and already two have joined. You have to start somewhere.

Directed the creator to your site :)

March 26, 2009 @ 8:54 PM

Tony

The old CHUM Charts archive can still be accessed through archive.org. Unfortunately, however, because of the nature of the database used on the old website, accessing the archives can be a bit tricky.

Below is a link to the first chart (chart=1) entry of 5/27/57:

Using the drop down (or jump) menu to directly access other dates will NOT work like it did before. You must manually replace the chart number at the end of the url in the address bar to access other dates. Here are two examples:

In this case, "chart=100" is the chart listing for April, 06, 1959

Example 2:

In this instance, "chart=978" is the chart listing for 10/18/75. It's really not that hard to grasp. The higher the chart number, the more recent the chart date & vice versa.

One additional caveat: Archive.org is notoriously slow, so a great deal of patience will definitely be required while accessing the CHUM archives through this site. You'll get a lot of "connection timed out" error messages as well, but just keep re-entering/re-clicking the url and you will eventually gain access.

I hope my rather sloppy & half-assed explanation makes at least some sense :-)

March 27, 2009 @ 10:39 AM

John Baker

I too, was first surprised, then disappointed to find my CHUM chart bookmark bring up the CP24 site. I repeatedly emailed the site to ask what had become of them. A week later I got this reply,

"Thank you for your email. We appreciate that you have been a loyal listener to 1050 CHUM and hope that you will continue to tune into the station for your local news, weather and traffic updates now that the station has changed its format. CHUM Radio has made the decision to change the format to an all-news station – CP24 Radio 1050 – in an effort to provide Torontonians with more local news. Thank you very much for your comments. Feedback from our listeners is extremely important to us."

Yeah, right. Not one mention of the CHUM charts. I replied to this email but have not received a response.

This is very short sighted on CP24's part. All they need is a link.

April 2, 2009 @ 12:07 PM

Bob

Im not surprised, CTV has always come off as arrogant, and as much as people seems to dislike Rogers because they are a monopoly of sorts, i still prefer them to the arrogance of CTV/Globemedia.
CP24 has never been the same since it was taken over by CTV!

April 3, 2009 @ 1:31 AM

Chris

Tony (March 27) -- thank you! Yes, the alternative method to finding the CHUM charts is slow, but it's a place to start. Thanks again!

April 3, 2009 @ 8:56 AM

ChumKid

I'm incredulous. Seriously - how hard would it have been to incorporate a link? CHUM Charts were a part of my childhood/teen years, and they represent an important facet of Canadian music history. I can't believe that they are no longer accessible on the Web. You know...that modern thing called The World Wide Web, where information about everything is available to all. Honestly, what dolts. Must they sever all ties to the past?

April 5, 2009 @ 7:37 PM

Cheryl Calaminici

Chum, after all the loyal years I listened to my most favourite music and you up and left all of us with nothing to take your place or even someplace to go back to on the internet to relive old times, look up our favourtie songs etc. HOW COULD YOU LEAVE US IN THE COLD???? :((

April 5, 2009 @ 10:43 PM

Neville A. Ross
I love music, I love this city

Then, if you truly do, you'll buy or download your favorite music instead of just expecting CTV Globemedia to keep on subsidizing a station who listeners were dying off anyway (if it were me, I would have got rid of the oldies format, and replaced it with a new music format in AM stereo, and hire the New Musical Express to run the station, playing current Canadian and British rock and roll/dance/pop.) That's what Toronto really needs.

For all it's worth, I hope that you get to save the CHUM charts, but to be brutally frank, it's time for you nostalgia addicts to join the 21st century-either that, or give up rock music and listen to something else.

As for losing a radio station, you think that you have it bad? The listeners and DJ's at CKLN radio have had their formats and shows forcibly pulled off of the air by the unelected student body at Ryerson, and that station was a 1000 times better that 1050 CHUM.

April 21, 2009 @ 6:30 AM

Mike MacDonald

I only recently discovered access to old chart information. I do have all #ed charts from 1968 through 1975 including multiple copies of the last 2-3 years when I finally figured out that it was just as easy to pick up a handful as one each week. I started collecting Aug. 11/58 but not regularly. I also picked up through 1976-1977 a copy each week of the larger store chart (Eaton's) until my supplier found it too much trouble to save them for me. MM

April 21, 2009 @ 1:49 PM

Ron

That's really nice Neville. Please begrudge us our nostalgia if you don't mind.

Thx Tony for that archive link, much appreciated.

April 21, 2009 @ 4:57 PM

Neville A. Ross

April 22, 2009 @ 2:44 AM

chumbug

If you've got some CHUM charts to share, may I suggest a visit to the ARSA website at las-solanas.com/arsa

The site is devoted to preserving radio station surveys from all over the place ... they've archived almost 10,000 and new surveys are being added every day. The site includes over 300 CHUM charts, as well as charts from CKEY, CFTR, CKFH, etc.

If you've got surveys you could enter, the site could use your help. If not, it's still a great place to surf around and relive some memories!

May 2, 2009 @ 8:29 PM

Darryl

Okay. As promised, some 78-81 CHUM Charts are at: http://dtradio.com/chum/

May 21, 2009 @ 1:14 PM

MsC

"Tony, nobody owes you classic rock at all, or any form of nostalgia to begin with. You're a big boy, and you can buy music just as easy as you listen to 1050 CHUM. Also, you don't need classic rock every day, just sometimes. A little new music wouldn't be bad, and it won't kill you, either."

True Neville, but we don't need your supercilious attitude here either OK?

July 29, 2009 @ 2:21 PM

Canuck

The charts are gone, but fans still might want to check out the following and listen to classic shows and interviews... before THAT plug gets pulled too...

December 4, 2009 @ 12:28 AM

Neville A Ross

Sorry, Tony!

I was having a bad day and was up too late! I didn't mean to offend!

Nev

December 8, 2009 @ 8:55 PM

Bruce from Ottawa

It's been over a year since the demise of the old music format at 1050 CHUM. I really missed Roger Ashby's Sunday morning show which was again repeated at night so I could listen to it on the radio. He had such a vast collection of rare music and knowledge of such artists. I can get 740 CHWO quite well at night and can also get it via Internet. Anyhow I still miss Chum and of course being able to connect to their chart website. Hopefully it could be put up again sometime

April 10, 2010 @ 10:04 AM

Roz Stickley

I to miss the old CHUM AM. I had been listening since the early 60's, in fact I was an offical "Chum Bug", and picked up the weekly Chum Chart at the record shop. I loved listening to many of the DJ's from back then, Bob McAdorey, Jungle Jay Nelson, Mike Darow, Al Boliska, John Majhor and Mike Cooper. Chum brought the Beatles to Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto in 1964 and 1965 and yes I was there, both times!
CHUM AM was a big part of my life growing up, and left me with many wonderful memories....

April 16, 2010 @ 3:40 PM

Bill Penny

My brother has a copy of every one of the original chum charts issued for YEARS, starting in 1963. I believe it is right from the the first one ever issued.

Are they of some use in keeping the hole thing alive?

March 23, 2011 @ 12:15 AM

Bill Penny

Are they of some use in keeping the hole thing alive?

March 23, 2011 @ 12:15 AM

Peter Faulkner

The archive.org works occasionally buy I noticed it defaults back to that 24-7 Toronto station. I'm from WIndsor but I loved the CHUM sound.

July 18, 2011 @ 11:07 PM

Terry

I have started to reprint full chart listings on my website. Contact me if you want to discuss or need more links - thanks

January 3, 2012 @ 5:52 AM

Janet Evans

Yes as a kid growing up in Toronto in the 1960's, the weekly Chum charts were entertaining, of which 1050 focused on the current Rock & Roll music of that era and continued with the 60's theme into the 70's, 80's & 90's.
Who would have thought that the Waters family would sell their historic Chum Ltd. company. Their should have been some effort made to preserve the nostalgia Chum Chart music site, its a shame.

January 9, 2012 @ 10:12 AM

Ðan

I'd love to find the 580 CFRA countdown charts from the 8O's . Every weekend, I would listen and follow along with the chart from the newspaper.

January 26, 2012 @ 1:05 PM

Craig

Dear Darryl,
I am very grateful that you saved almost every GIF image of the CHUM hit parades of 1978 thru 1981. In fact, after I found these images a few weeks ago, I had sent these images to an ARSA database administrator, who posted all these CHUM images to the ARSA radio website, which is the PRIME website that posts weekly hit parades of various radio stations of many parts of the United States, Canada, and even the UK and Australia.
I have two questions that I want to ask:
1. How were you able to find all these readable GIF images of the CHUM hit parades?
I ask this because every time that I go the 1050 CHUM Memorial Blog website to copy and paste the images of any CHUM hit parade, these images are near-impossible to read unless one utilizes a super-powerful lens.
2. Did you by any chance happen to save any GIF images of the CHUM hit parades of 1975 thru 1977?
If so, can you please tell me how I may access this info? If not, do you know anyone who might have any images of CHUM hit parades of 1975 thru 1977?
Please notify me whenever you can because your cooperation will be tremendously appreciated.
Craig

April 15, 2014 @ 3:24 PM

Anonymous

Dear All Members Listed Above,
I realize that the elimination of the CHUM hit parades that occurred the 25 March 2009 had greatly concerned many long-time CHUM listeners. However, the way in which the data-base was organized had contained numerous errors in the majority of the CHUM hit parades. I do not know whether the creator(s) of this data base had not structured the proper number of rows and columns to hold such data or the creator(s) had rushed this process and that the end result of this procedure did not precisely match the original CHUM hit parade data that was distributed to record shops.
Although one states that no news is good news, the exception to this rule is that all the 1516 CHUM hit parades that were published from 27 May 1957 until 14 June 1986 are posted to a music website which is called the ARSA database. Furthermore, all the data of these hit parades are accurately complete. If anyone wants to utilize this site, the best way to reach this site is to type ARSA about this site and click these words from which you will be directed to this site. At the left section of this page, click STATIONS which will bring you to the radio stations page. Then, in the text box, which immediately follows Station Call or City, type CHUM and you will be brought to the page that displays CHUM 1050 and CHUM 104.5 stations. Finally, click CHUM which precedes 1050 and you will see every 1516 CHUM 1050 hit parades.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at gannatuccio@gmail.com.

June 10, 2014 @ 11:20 AM

Jo Viner

Super old thread, I know. If anyone reads this and has a copy of Issue 923, February 27, 1975 with Elvis on the front. I am wondering if your copy is missing the printed date and issue number inside as well or if this was a mass mis-print. Please let me know! Thanks in advance!

December 18, 2016 @ 4:43 PM