Uncle Cliffy Gives Us The Finger

LeafsI understood signing Cujo to a nice and tidy one year deal for $700,000 but I don't get why Cliff Fletcher just signed defenceman Jeff Finger to a four-year deal worth $3.5 million a season.

Don't know much about The Finger? You're not alone, this is from TSN.ca:

Finger, 28, played 72 games with the Colorado Avalanche last season, tallying 19 points and a plus-12 rating. In 94 career NHL games, he has 24 points and a plus-22.

I understand the Toronto Maple Leafs need bodies, but do we really have to give four year deals to 28 year olds with 94 career games under their belts? Admittedly, I can't remember ever seeing him play, so if The Finger is Sylvain Lefebvre reincarnate I shall stand corrected.

In a sense, Uncle Cliffy just gave us The Finger and told Bryan McCabe to f*ck off.

The-Finger

dale

An absolute joke. 4 or 5th defenseman last year with Colorado.

July 1, 2008 @ 4:06 PM

andrew

I think MLSE is rubbing off on Uncle Cliffy. Signing free agents for huge $ hoping they perform. Much like Blake, Kubina, Gill, O'Neil, etc., etc. every year. WHen was the last time our Leafs signed a have decent free agent?

July 1, 2008 @ 4:19 PM

Toronto Mike

$14 million bucks to a guy with a little over a full season of NHL experience - this had better be a joke.

July 1, 2008 @ 4:27 PM

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

That does seem like a lot of $

July 1, 2008 @ 4:59 PM

Ken

WTF! I got a bad feeling Toto

July 2, 2008 @ 10:12 AM

felix

Ron Wilson says he's good, I'm willing to give them both the benefit of the doubt.

Have faith, my friends, there's no NTC/NMC in this deal (as far as I know).

July 2, 2008 @ 12:27 PM

Toronto Mike

C'mon, he was benched for half of the Avs' playoff games. How awesome could he be when he's a healthy scratch in the playoffs?

And, that's a mammoth raise for a guy with one season under his belt. Why did we pay so much for such a lengthy term?

A two year deal at $2 million per sounds about right for The Finger.

July 2, 2008 @ 12:30 PM

elvis

I can't wait to boo The Finger. He's just lucky Antropov and Poni are still on the team to take my heat.

July 2, 2008 @ 12:56 PM

felix

It's not like MLSE can't afford to pay him. If he sucks, hope someone claims him on waivers or just park him with the Marlies, who cares? All it costs is money, and MLSE has plenty of that to go around.

July 2, 2008 @ 3:34 PM

Toronto Mike

I used to think that way too... who cares if MLSE overpays... but with the salary cap we all suffer. I want to be able to go out and get the elite players when the time is right instead of having $ committed to unproven guys.

July 2, 2008 @ 3:47 PM