Alan Cross Out As Program Director at Edge 102

radio The message was short but clear. "alan cross fired? :O" Originally it was sent anonymously, but then a follow up message made sure I knew it was coming from "mr. oj - chq sowny!".

I know SOWNY. It's The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum and the posting there led with "Alan Cross is out as the Program Director of 102.1 the Edge." I know some stuff I can't write about, and I know people who know a whole lot more, but I don't know what happened to Alan Cross at CFNY. I'll know very soon, and then I'll update this post with a comment, but right now I know as much as I did when I wrote "Humble Howard, Are You Okay?".

For more on CFNY ~ Edge 102, including a series of email exchanges between me and Alan Cross, visit my CFNY ~ Edge 102 page.

More on the ongoing history of Alan Cross soon...

James Edgar

I wonder if that's the end of the ongoing history? I still love those shows as much as I did in the beginning.

June 10, 2008 @ 3:18 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

I think the shows are a bit watered down compared to 10 years ago James (the station in general does not have it's ear to the pulse at it did in the Marsden days) but I don't think anyone can really blame the fact that Edge sucks on Alan Cross. I wonder if the syndicated show will continue to air on The Edge. It IS on some non-Coris stations, I think.

Stay tuned...

June 10, 2008 @ 3:33 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

I'm thinking he moved dept.'s?

Can't imagnie that they are misguided enough to let him go, even if it is Corus..

June 10, 2008 @ 3:40 PM

James Edgar

True the whole station is not nearly as interesting as it once was. The 15 song playlist being the biggest issue. Part of my continued liking for the OGHNM is that i don't get hear it as often as before. Now the idiot box is on all the time or I'm on my bike so I only listen while in the garage and even I can't spend all my time out there.

June 10, 2008 @ 3:41 PM

"15 song playlist"

dude nails it right on the head.

hopefully those monkeys will read this post, then they can ask me what to play.

i hear they are LOSING money

June 10, 2008 @ 3:48 PM

Johnny B.

The Corus website has a posting for a new PD so he is out for sure.

June 10, 2008 @ 4:10 PM

elvis

Do you think Steve-O had anything to do with this?

June 10, 2008 @ 4:22 PM

Toronto Mike

I'll bet they've kicked him upstairs, so to speak. It's a promotion and The Ongoing History of New Music will continue.

That's my guess. Soon I'll have the facts and I'll update again then.

June 10, 2008 @ 4:23 PM

Toronto Mike

It's a new post as Senior PD at Splice Media, working on the development of national content initiatives.

From an internal memo:

Since its inception, the Interactive group at Corus radio has been dedicated to the growth of Corus radio audiences and revenue through the extension of our radio brands into new media platforms. The success our websites have shown in the past several years is a testament to the hard work and dedication of the radio interactive team.

We all know that the current brand-extension strategy we are executing is only a piece of the puzzle of growing Corus’s online business. We need to continue to innovate in order to fully realize the radio division’s potential as an integrated broadcast and online company.

To that end I’m thrilled to announce that Alan Cross will be joining our team. Alan is a passionate devotee of all things interactive, an experienced and innovative program director, a prolific multimedia talent and arguably Corus radio’s premiere national radio personality as host of The Ongoing History of New Music. He’s also a dedicated techno-geek,so he should fit right in.

June 10, 2008 @ 4:31 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

I knew you were the man to ask

June 10, 2008 @ 5:18 PM

james edgar

"15 song playlist"

"dude nails it right on the head"

Anr I exagerated I bet it's only 12

June 10, 2008 @ 5:33 PM

james edgar

And NOT Anr . Stupid leyboard.

June 10, 2008 @ 5:34 PM

Toronto Mike

The 15 song playlist is the new music. The current stuff, like Death Cab For Cutie, Sam Roberts, Arctic Monkeys, Ill Scarlett or whoever.

In addition to those 15, there is 40 - 60 classic alternative tracks. Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, U2, REM, The Cure, Radiohead, STP, Hip, Weezer, Pumpkins, Oasis, 54-40 or whoever.

So really, we're looking at a playlist of 65 - 85 songs!

June 10, 2008 @ 5:46 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

It's pathetic even if it's 3300 songs because even my iPod has that many.

Why can't Toronto have it's KCRW.. it's Indie 103... it's Xfm UK...

embarassing.

Ya don't know what you got till it's gone!

June 10, 2008 @ 7:35 PM

james edgar

it's not just the smalish playlist it's that "anything goes" feeling that's gone. Now it's all format and no colouring outside the lines. I hate to say it but I listen to 590 and 640 more than the edge.

June 10, 2008 @ 9:32 PM

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

You know, I don't listen to the edge much either anymore, I listen Sunday nights to MArtin Streek on my computer but thats it.
The variety isnt there but Im wondering if its more the talent isnt out there anymore or if its more that the station isn't pursuing the new music like they used to.
Its the safe alternative. I never thought Id get to this point but music is passing me by, Im sticking to my favorite classic alternative choices and listening to my IPOD more.

June 10, 2008 @ 9:43 PM

Stephen

The station still has great DJs, but the narrow playlist makes it difficult to listen to for any significant amount of time.

June 11, 2008 @ 8:38 AM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

Are you listening, Edge? I've been saying this for years. That's 100% dissatisfaction about all the same issues in this thread. Lack luster DJ's (mostly) , a small playlist and dare I say the worst morning show in Toronto.

Now, why not do something about i?. Why do you hide behind what's "safe?" The potential is there, you had the format right in the 80's, and dare I say it's never too late. Win back your listeners, and make money in the process. I dare you.

June 11, 2008 @ 8:44 AM

Toronto Mike

I've written about this before, but what we really want is a CFNY for adults.

The current CFNY goes hard and heavy at guys 14-34 and, from what I understand, they're very popular in that demo. I suppose, in the business of corporate radio, that makes CFNY quite successful.

Still, as I analyze this Alan Cross news it's clear he was pushed out and, as much as they'd like to spin it as a promotion, it's not even close. I don't know who the new PD will be, but this could be a time for change.

But I wouldn't bet on it. They don't care about the old folks.

June 11, 2008 @ 8:51 AM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

Old folks? I wasn't asking for a station for old folks... I was asking them to play more New Music. First.

remember?

Most 14-34 year olds know better than to listen to The Edge for all the new music that's out there; I'd like for that to change [back].

June 11, 2008 @ 9:48 AM

Toronto Mike
Most 14-34 year olds know better than to listen to The Edge for all the new music that's out there.

We both know that's not true. I'm surrounded by 14-34 year olds, at work and at softball, and for the most part, it's all about top 40. At least CFNY will play The Kooks... this demo just wants their hook and ringtone from Akon or JT or whoever.

We need a CFNY for grownups, and that means lots of new music and older music with a little soul and spirit.

June 11, 2008 @ 9:54 AM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

I have no idea what you're talking about. Dude, most people want more than the top 40 songs. Some of them might not know it, but play them some new stuff and the result is usually glee... like... wow... you mean there's all this stuff out there? Then I get... why don't they play this on the radio? It doesn't matter if it's a 17 year old cousin, my mother, or a disgruntled former Edge listener. There's been dozens of comments about my own blog about "hey, you son't hear this stuff on the radio"

So, what the heck are you saying man? You really think people are satsfied? Read this thread again. NO ONE is happy with 102.1

Akon can stay on Flow, thanks. That's what it's for.

You know what really makes me laugh? Alan Cross once told me every generation wants their own heroes. There are plenty good new band out there. Maybe they should start playing them, and then the kids woulnd't solely rely on MySpace and torrent sites etc. to hear what they really want to hear.

LARGER BROADER PLAYLIST NEEDED -

Why are the stations I plus successful? Answer: they love what they do and are in touch with the pulse or all the music out there, they aren't afraid to take risks, and they don't play the same 70-odd songs.

June 11, 2008 @ 10:47 AM

Toronto Mike

This thread tells me a handful of 30+ year olds no longer like the Edge as much as they used to. What a revelation!

Dude, Akon's on Flow, CHUM FM and Mix 99.9. Don't kid yourself, most kids are happy if they turn on the radio and hear the latest Plain White T's hit or Daughtry or Beyonce.

If there was a market for the station you seek, there would be stations in this market playing those tunes. The fact is, there aren't enough listeners to make it work. It's absolutely, without a doubt, about the mighty dollar.

You're not the average listener, dude. They don't care about the OJ... they want the masses and the masses want Linkin Park.

June 11, 2008 @ 10:58 AM

Anonymous

I think it's about risk management. Their afriad to take a chance when in the end they would end up with more listeners. I firmly believe that.

The masses like thier Linkin Park, sure, but they aren't anti-discovering new bands either.

Marsden took chances. Alan Cross fed us tidbits of info on the bands we grew to love. These days, they shuffle the same crusty tunes over over and over.

I'm with you sort of... create an "adult" CFNY... and watch how many indie kids tune in.

Check out Indie 97.9 - the playlist aint huge, but it's a good mix of Classic-Alternative and the new. It's nothing AWESOME but it still beats the closest thing we have in Toronto which, sadly is 102.1 The Edge

One more time: Not all kids listen to top 40!

June 11, 2008 @ 11:13 AM

*they're

(dunno why it says anon that was me)

June 11, 2008 @ 11:21 AM

Irvine

Dude

Edge & Linkin Park are not the masses. It's a niche market that buy shopping mall fashion & fast food. Linkin Park is not music for the masses ,but music for Kokanee drinkers. Radio programmers just like to believe it's super popular.

Edge is a niche station with a niche market. Nothing more, nothing less.

June 11, 2008 @ 12:48 PM

Toronto Mike

Ok Mr. Irvine,

Do tell... do the masses prefer My Morning Jacket or Nickelback?

June 11, 2008 @ 1:24 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

The masses in Toronto probably don't know who My Morning Jacket even is because we don't have a station with balls here.

This is cyclical...

Coming up, Alan and George discuss The Clash yet again...

June 11, 2008 @ 1:33 PM

CQ

I started listening to 98.5 Buffalo for light, dancy, mostly American /unfortunately no Brit, new music.
Edge-wise, I was impressed with catching the Sunday night of May 25th & Jun 1st , not so much for last Sunday Jun 8th.

June 11, 2008 @ 1:58 PM

Irvine

Mike, there are no "masses". There are bands that are more popular than other bands but they're not part of the masses. Being part of the masses is when EVERYBODY knew who you were. When I say everyone, I mean the 65 year old man has heard of them. As Bob Lefsetz said a while back, even Top 40 is marginalize. Outside of the Top 40 realm, does anyone know who Daughtry is?

Guns N Roses were music for the masses. ABBA was music for the masses. The Bee Gees were music for the masses. Led Zeppelin was music for the masses. Nickleback is not. They're just a band that sold a few million records.

And speaking of Nickelback, they belong on "Edge 102" as much as Daughtry does. Edge playing Nickelback is like a Vegan restaurant serving sausages. Just another example of Alan selling out.

June 11, 2008 @ 8:22 PM

Jason } GetYourOJ.com

My 86 year old grandfather likes Amy Winehouse, but outside of that I think the man has a point.

How can you take Nickelback and Creed seriously, and what are they doing on The Edge? (rhetorical) They belong there much less than Eminem does, or even Kayne West. Their not groundbreakers, trendsetters, pacemakers, or new music. They are the antithesis of Alternative.

June 11, 2008 @ 8:36 PM

Toronto Mike

I'm not defending CFNY playing Nickelback. I did author this: http://www.torontomike.com/2005/09/should_they_play_photograph.html

I still admittedly like most of the music they play on CFNY but there's a lot of stuff there (all the nickelback and sum41, for example) that I don't dig.

And as a guy who still listens a little bit here and there, I've never heard them play Daughtry. ;-)

June 11, 2008 @ 8:44 PM

Irvine

Daughtry charted on the Alternative Rock charts in the USA some time ago. Obviously, it's on a song by song basis.

Point is man, Edge shouldn't be playing Nickelback. It's not alternative music. Out here in Calgary, X92.9 has a "no Nickelback guarantee" and overall, as FM radio goes, it's a good station. I can leave it on for hours and sometimes even get surprized when I hear CSS on the air.

Edge isn't a Alt Rocker, but a CHR Alternative. That's it's biggest problem.

June 12, 2008 @ 12:14 AM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

Biggest problem is it's owned by a company that ruins everything it touches... other than maybe q107

June 12, 2008 @ 8:12 AM

Peter Witruk

I happened upon this thread quite by accident. I have to agree I find 102 quite *yawn* non-edge. I have taken to listening to 97.7 (because it mixes current music with stuff I listened to when I was a young teen.) and 103.3 from Buffalo. Mostly I listen to cd's, but my wife recently got XMradio and I love Squizz and Ethel (my wife loves Lucy) and the benefit of not listening to commercials every second song!
I think the radio industry is fighting against ipods, online music stations and satallite radio and can't keep up with the diversity it offers and convenience it gives.

July 2, 2008 @ 7:33 PM

Cindi

Thanks, Mike for creating this discussion.

Marry me, Jason? I completely agree with everything you've said; I'm 47, and never too old for new music, and not served up to me once an hour, until I get sick of it, thank you. And please play me some tunes 2 years in advance of when they appear on the top 40, like in the glory days. I WANT NEW MUSIC, DAMMIT. Sigh.

I started listening to the Spirit of Radio when I moved here from Vancouver in '77. I've rarely changed the dial, but sometimes I just don't bother to turn it on. Cogeco cable offers an excellent digital station called (of all things) The Edge which epitomizes what 102.1 should strive for. When I DO turn on the radio, I'm desperate to hear new music, and not the same 15 songs in rotation!

Now, as an Edge Music Panel member, I never hesitate to let them know that I turn off my radio when ANY Coldplay or "Last Kiss" by Eddie Vedder comes on or when I hear The Killers for the 40th time in a day, and that I don't see the need to play Foo Fighters every 5 minutes. I encourage everyone to sign up and have a say, and to email Don Mitchell with your concerns about the play-list, as well as that disgusting, mysogynistic morning show, too. I do!

Like Peter above me, I found this thread by accident while looking for some info on a Viletones ticket stub I found in my stuff, but I'm devastated to hear about Alan Cross (aka God). This is terrible! Corus, you suck.

If anyone's interested, I'm posting a large "lot" of my cfny memorabilia collection on ebay tomorrow night. My username there is cynsav3hjm. Sorry, I'm sure it's quite illegal to post that here, but figured you might want to see all the stuff I've got lol Or, you can email me privately at cynsav@hotmail.com for a pic.

And if there are any Viletones fans out there who can help me ID where/when a concert was held based on a torn ticket-stub, please drop me a line!

July 2, 2008 @ 9:58 PM

Anonymous

Alan Cross and the people who are making decisions at 102.1 the edge are greedy. They are heisting our youth before their eyes and the youth who listen dont even kow it. Since cross's arrival, or lets say within the last 4 years, they play more that twice as many commercials, and they're about as witty as 5 year olds with all the vulgarity of jailbirds....the djs can't even be funny with vulgarity!...fucking losers..the whole fucking station is re-todded!. They look for any way possible to rip off its customers. At edgefest yesterday there was a bout 1 portopottie for 50 people, they were hidden and hard to find as well. The beer section was so small, and you couldnt get in without lining up for 2 hours...a great way to avoid lawsuits!...You couldnt bring in your own umbrella, yet when it rained there was no shelter, you couldnt leave to your car for shelter and re-enter, because there was no re-entry, of course $5 for a small ice cream, the main band was late with no excuse or reason why.....i could go on and on here....Alan Cross, ReTodd, Huble, Booky....You're all fucking greedy, unwitty, and fucking pirates...you are ruining the spirit of this city to fill your own pockets, go fuck your selves, im going to keep traashing your station to everyone I know through this great thing called the internet....assholes!

July 13, 2008 @ 12:51 PM

james edgar

Anon I feel the need to point out that the edge is just the sponsering station they have nothing to do with the show. That's the promoters. If the edge was thinking a bit they would make sure they have some say in the arrangememts but maybe that just wasn'yt possible. BTW people were bitching about the beer tents at the canada day shows that precluded edgefest 20 years ago. So nothing has changed.

July 15, 2008 @ 5:38 PM

Gary

Yeah I've been listening to 102.1 the Edge for years, I have been a big fan, went out the Kingdom many many times (which I don't know why they stopped airing there, sucks) anyhow, alotof my friends are listening to 103.3 the Edge and 97.7 htz-fm, mostly because cfny has gotten too soft, playing Coldplay, U2, REM, Metric, Bedouin Soundcash every hour, wtf is that? They would play the odd Korn and Godsmack song after 7 pm each night but not even that. 103.3 isn't afraid to play Tool, new Theory of a deadman (I have no idea why 102.1 the Edge won't play "Bad bad girlfriend" or "So happy" um too heavy? I barely listen to 102.1 the edge anymore, they should call themselves "Toronto's Soft New Rock, 102.1 the Edge" Even 92.5 Jack FM has a heavier format than them! It's embarassing.
so 102.1 the Edge, would it kill you guys to play Korn, Limp Bizkit, Godsmack, Sevendust, Breaking Benjamin during the day? or Tool? (no I don't just mean "The Pot".
If you want to continue to call yourselves "The Edge" then act like it and show listeners why you should continue to be the Edge and carry that name.

September 1, 2008 @ 11:40 AM

Wow.

A marriage proposal.

Sweet!

Anyway, I came to add this which is so well said it deserves to be added to this thread:

December 28, 2008 @ 9:19 AM

immobilie

Sehr wertvolle Informationen! Empfehlen!

March 14, 2009 @ 11:56 PM

Anonymous

This, Toronto Mike, is the most interesting of all your blogs.

September 27, 2010 @ 4:55 PM

Chris

Ive read alot of these comments, and I noticed one part where you mentioned the edge aims for 14-34 year olds. the sad part is that isnt who they're after at all.

Listening to the station you'd think so, and so did I untill I interned at corus toronto (radio student). This is how messed up the edge is internally. Their REAL target, the one theyre trying to hit, are males 25-45 who earn 6 figures a year(which is why lots of ad space is being sold to condos, lexus, bmw, high priced restaurants, etc.)

Corus is a mess. Even as a student I realized they dont know what theyre trying to do. The edge is juvenile, crass, and a top 40 format yet theyre trying to take listeners from themselfs at q107. Lets not even start about the giant mess that is am640, that station is is terrible shape.

July 8, 2011 @ 11:07 AM