The Fables of the Green Forest

tvI think I watched a lot of TVOntario in the late 70s and early 80s. Most of my television memories are from shows airing on cable 2. TVO brought me Jeremy and Dr. Snuggles and Fables of the Green Forest.

I'll never forget that opening with the blue jay warning of "trouble! trouble!" and I've never forgotten that opening song. Hearing it just now on YouTube flooded me with a ton of TVO memories.

In the Green Forest, the Green Forest, the stories you've read about all come to life, yes the stories you've read about all come to life!

Update: There is now a Fables of the Green Forest YouTube channel!

Mark Leslie

That was 1978? Okay, thanks for the flood of memories and making me feel old! :(

February 21, 2007 @ 8:08 AM

Mike Boon

How do you think I feel!

February 21, 2007 @ 8:44 AM

Lori

WOW..........blast from the past. I didn't watch tv much as a kid but i so remember the Dr. Snuggles, Poka Dot Door and Fables of the Green Forest that came on after dinner. But.........do you remember the Barbapapas? I am new to following your blog so maybe you have touched on them before!

February 21, 2007 @ 7:27 PM

Mike Boon

I absolutely remember the Barbapapas. I can see their spherical home now. I remember Read All About It and the Edison Twins, too.

February 21, 2007 @ 7:31 PM

Antonella

Unbelievable! I can't believe I actually found these tv ontario shows. I remember watching this stuff after dinner with my siblings. Talk about a flood of memories!

March 14, 2007 @ 9:30 PM

Lone Primate

Hey, Mike, you'll definitely want to check out this link then: http://broszkowski.com/tv/fablesofthegreenforest/fablesofthegreenforestdownload.htm

A fellow's got nearly 30 of the episodes available to download, and the quality's really good. :)

Go nuts!

-LP

November 23, 2007 @ 9:48 AM

rca

TVO really was a goldmine of kids shows in the 80's. As I remember it Fables of the green forest was my favorite, although there were others like Read all about it, and Read-along.

Does anyone remember a show featuring two kids and an overweight "coach" - some sort of fitness show for kids? The theme song was to the effect of "You can do it, yes you can! You can do it, in a jam"

You Can't do that on Television, was another great one.

December 10, 2007 @ 12:48 PM

Mark G. Tennant

I like everyone here, used to watch Fables of The Green Forest in the late 1970's & early 1980's does anyone know how many episodes in all was in the progam?

February 19, 2008 @ 9:12 PM

Syboman

Don't forget Fish Tales featuring the adventures of a brother and sister shore crab who gets lost in sea and who have to put up with a mischivious dogfish.

May 30, 2008 @ 1:18 AM

Marco

I think there were 52-54 episodes. I went to the TVO website and found descriptions of all the episodes and then posted it on Matthew Broszkowski's website forum. I'm also the one that provided him with all the videos :).

On a side note... The show "You can do it" lyrics.

Did you ever dream about the stanley cup and scored the winning goal? You got a 100 hugs from all those lugs while your parents cheered at home. You can do it, yes, yes, Yes your friends can do it. and you can to.

or something like that.

Cheers

May 30, 2008 @ 8:43 PM

Sarah

where can i find copies or videos of the "fish tales" show...it has been driving me crazy for years i couldn't remember the name..people looked at me like i was crazy when i tried to explain the show..

August 1, 2009 @ 1:25 AM

Sigrid

I just had the exact same thing happen. I explained the premise of Fish Tales, I even remembered the name, and nothing. Blank looks. Same thing with Hammy Hamster. I can still sing the theme song to Jeremy, my co-worker however remembers the Fables theme song almost in its entirety.

September 3, 2009 @ 1:30 PM

nathan

Yep,good old TV Ontario in the earley 80's...almost feel heartsick! :S

May 17, 2012 @ 12:16 PM

Donaghy Kerr

When I was growing up I always loved The Fables of the Green Forest. Love
Donaghy Kerr

September 26, 2012 @ 7:34 PM

Mouse

I remember seeing Fish Tales back in the day. It was the early 80's, but I think they aired it again in the late 90's. Hopefully TVO has this show and others archived. Anyway a great place that will definitely give you a nostalgia burst is http://www.rickstv.com/tvo/

July 29, 2013 @ 8:09 AM

jpp

u guys seem so limited. Channel 32 came in in certain areas of Detroit so soak it up:
-body works
-todays special
-math makers
-hattie town tales
-dear aunt agnes ('heather conke' is still one of the most memorable names EVER...

'M4H 2T1' get out my head!!!

y I sat and watched tv in French on sunday afternoons, not understanding a word of "little lulu" (except, "Ach, TUBBY!") I still cant explain... or understand after 4 yrs of French class.

don't 4get Sydney the kangaroo costumed secret agent. did he ever get used to that tail? and the greatest villain cananda ever produced...

His Highness Lord Minus, the takeaway thief. (guess who just thought of their Halloween costume for this year?)

now I'm done
8^]

February 14, 2014 @ 10:56 PM

Peter

You can now watch most episodes on the Fables of the Forest channel on YouTube. Enjoy! Kind regards, Peter

January 10, 2015 @ 5:16 AM

fablesofthegreenforest

There is now a website for 'Fables of the Green Forest':
fablesofthegreenforest.wordpress.com . Read about the story and characters of this 1970s animé, the books that inspired it, the author and makers, view the episodes and sing along with the theme song as you watch opening with lyrics. Or get involved in the Subtitle Project, a way to add the 8 missing episodes to the playlist!

November 21, 2015 @ 6:21 PM

Anonymous

My brother and I both got android boxes for christmas and the first thing we did was look for a lot of these shows. Patty beaver's building a damn, Joe the otter tells to scram. Just read someone's comments about dear aunt Agnes and the theme song just came back to me. Dear aunt agnes, remember, you said you'd help me out if you could... Report Canada, read along, read all about. Dr. Snuggets, Barbapapa's. Used to hate when it would turn to french on Sunday's. I'm 42 and a lot of good memories just came flooding back.

February 19, 2018 @ 8:38 PM

bsmntdwllr73

I totally concur that Dr. Snuggles and Fables of the Green Forest were excellent shows back in the
day. Both shows are currently available to some degree on Youtube.

February 20, 2018 @ 9:50 AM