I Hate Ticketmaster

Ticket MasterI hate Ticketmaster, but what choice do I have? Today, I purchased a couple of tickets to see The Tragically Hip. Each ticket was a fairly reasonable $30.50, and that includes taxes. I don't mind coughing up $30.50 to see a band like The Hip live. A couple of tickets should have cost me $61.00, right?

With Ticketmaster, there are a few gotchas along the way that you have no choice but to pay. For starters, they charge you a $9 "Convenience Charge" for each ticket you purchase. Isn't $9 awfully steep for their service? And it's not like it's $9 for your purchase, it's $9 a ticket so my two tickets cost me an additional $18 for the wonderful convenience of using Ticketmaster.

Furthermore, you have to pay an additional $3.75 "Building/Facility Charge" on each ticket. This amount goes to the Molson Ampitheatre, I assume. I had always believed the facility was paid for by the band and that amount would come out of the $30.50 ticket price. This $3.75 a ticket surcharge added an extra $7.50 to my bill, on top of the $18.00 convenience charge.

At this point, I'm just trying to cut my losses and get out of there before they make me pay some "Sunshine Tax" or "Oxygen Charge", but I still needed the physical tickets in my hand. This is where I really got pissed off. I've used Ticketmaster dozens of times (no choice in the matter, Pearl Jam didn't win apparently) and I've always chosen to pick my tickets up at a Ticketmaster location because this option was always free. Today, I had four options and none were free. I ended up letting them mail me my tickets for $3 because it would have cost me $3 to pick them up myself. As angry as this fact made me, what really made my blood boil was the fact my preferred option would have cost me $5.50 and it would have been the easiest for Ticketmaster. I wanted them to email me the ticket in PDF so I could print it myself. This option should be free because we're the ones supplying the paper and the ink to print the tickets. In fact, they should be paying us for selecting this option. How can they justify charging $5.50 for their system to automatically print the tickets to PDF and email it to me? I'll spend the $3 and let them pick up the tab for paper and ink. Of course, I shouldn't have had to pay anything, but I had no choice if I wanted to see The Hip on Canada Day.

When all was said and done, my $61.00 worth of tickets cost me $89.50. That's about a 1/3 mark-up. 32% was bullshit Ticketmaster surcharges. Keep in mind, our governments got their cut from the original $30.50. $28.50 of my hard earned money went into the pockets of Ticketmaster today and that's just not fair. I hate Ticketmaster.

Malene

Amen, brother, amen ... I feel the gall rise in my throat for precisely those reasons every time I buy a ticket. When did this happen? And, how do they get away with it? When will we revolt?

October 1, 2008 @ 11:30 PM

Malene

P.S. I just looked at their financial statements and, no surprise, learned that they are making money hand over fist. Moreover, I learned that the majority shareholder is the Pritzker family which is one of the wealthiest in the US. Penny Pritzker is a major fundraising organizer for Obama... the things you learn.

October 1, 2008 @ 11:44 PM

James Edgar

I hate them as well. I just got AC/DC tickets and the service charges on 3 tickets were $50 give or take a few bucks. And for what? Really too bad Pearl Jam failed.

October 3, 2008 @ 6:05 PM

Spady

You couldent be more right man. but whats really pissin me of is that fucking We limit the rate of web page requests that can be made by individual users in any given time period. Your web page requests have exceeded these limits and your access has been temporarily disabled.

WHAT THE HELL!
how am i soposed to buy my metallica tickets!

such idiots....

October 14, 2008 @ 9:35 PM

Shauntel

NO KIDDING!!! WTF is UP with the "you have exceeded your page request limit"????!!!!! OMG I woke up at 6am and started my journey to get tickets for the Vancouver/Toronto game and Tickemaster froze me out by telling me THAT shite!! That experience took about 1 1/2 hours of my day and resulted in me NOT getting the tickets! And that's another story...HOW THE F*CK can they charge so much for a f*cking hockey game?????
Concerts and sporting events should be boycotted until they lower their F*N prices. How else can we have these things changed unless we all unite.
I mean really..I have 2 boys who would LOVE to go see an NHL hockey game..but who can afford over $500 for an evening like that?!!
AC/DC tix, metallica tix and all of the like, are almost impossible to get with the way Tickmaster has been set up...I thought scalping was SUPPOSED to be ILLEGAL????? LMFAO WHAT A JOKE!

October 30, 2008 @ 1:59 PM

Darryl

What I find most amusing is the fact that when you try to get tickets to a hockey game through Ticketmaster, you are rerouted to "ticketsnow.com" and the prices are outrageous...ticketmaster is in the legal scalping business and artificially inlfating the price of tickets...when will there be legislation to put an end to this. Ticket prices to hockey games are high enough without the people who control the product to sell it to themselves at face value, then mark the price up. What a joke. Except I'm not laughing.

November 15, 2008 @ 9:02 PM

Spencer

You are all retarded.

December 18, 2008 @ 9:32 AM

Julie

Building/Facility charge goes to the venue; repairs, etc.

Convienience charge is the only money TM gets from each sale.

There's never a charge for pick-up/mail, you're spewing bullshit out your ass.

December 18, 2008 @ 9:39 AM

Annu

Hey Julie/Spencer.

Shut your fat ass.

How do you explain TM charging people to print themselves?

February 17, 2009 @ 9:49 PM

Pete Saunders

Obviously Julie and Spencer work for ticketmaster, how else could you possibly defend a company that will charge me $12.55 in additional charges for a $15.00 dollar ticket. Now, math has never been my strong suit, but over 75% of the cost of the ticket is insane, how do they get away with this? I hope the ticket comes with a tube of KY. The kicker...I have to buy this ticket to get a 7 week old baby into Dora, because according to Ticketmaster all children MUST have a ticket regardless of age.

February 22, 2009 @ 9:15 AM

Agent 88

FYI - Age limits for kids are set by the venues and promoters of events, not by Ticketmaster.

March 9, 2009 @ 5:31 PM

Vancouver Dan

I hope the people running ticketmaster get thrown in jail. To whoever runs that scam " FUCK YOU "

April 30, 2009 @ 4:45 PM

Caleb

if you work at ticketmaster please contact me :-) i have an offer to make.

June 2, 2009 @ 1:06 AM

Caleb

blacksuit23@hotmail.com

June 2, 2009 @ 1:10 AM

Paul

If you work at ticketmaster email me

June 28, 2009 @ 6:18 PM

Beck

Actually the problem is that you don't know what your talking about None of the money you mentioned goes to Ticket master.... the those surcharges belong to the promoter, the venue and the artist... the only charges that ticketmaster takes is an order processing fee which is usually between $2 and $5 per order not per ticket and what ever you pay for delivery IF you chose a delivery option that comes at a cost there are a couple free options.....

August 28, 2009 @ 11:01 PM

Susan

It isn't ticketmaster service fees that piss me off. It is that they sell tickets to their wholly owned subsiary(s) and resell them at twice the price + service fees. I wish it went to the artist, not this monopoly who takes their clip from the artist and the concert goer. Sold out in 30 minutes - my ass, they are available immediately on their resellers. All the good seats too.

November 22, 2009 @ 6:18 PM

Mike

Ticketmaster is the biggest monopoly scam out there right now no doubt.

Best thing to do in my opinion. Don't use them. While its occasionally unavoidable for some artists many shows are carried at other locations:

Rotate This:

Soundscapes:

Most you will pay here for a fee is $3. First come first serve basis, they don't hold tickets for ANYONE, pay cash.

Check out if your show is carried here before paying extra at Ticketmaster.

April 29, 2010 @ 1:05 PM

Bardia

The assumption is that they are providing a service that otherwise would be up to the venue to provide. The fact is that they are charging far more than it would have cost anyone to provide that service and are doing the absolute bare minimum in the direction of providing it. There is no question that the service quality itself is rubbish! Yes, of course they provide the mechanism to charge your credit card, but there is more to the service outsourced to them: they are supposed to provide that tiny bit of information on the type of ticket you're buying. They put up a lousy copy of the seating chart (probably copied from the venue's old website) often with different seating areas given names by the venue, such as "the orchestra level", or showed in different colours. However, they don't even bother to tell you which price puts you in which are. In other words there is not even a clear association between what you get for what you pay. You can only guess. Even 10 years ago, many of the self-run venue websites used to go as far as showing you a picture to tell you what you would roughly see if you bought the say 20, 35, or 50 dollar ticket.

The fact is that we are being ripped off by both the venue and the scoundrels at ticketmaster based on their probably correct estimate that most people would pay even double the usual price ticket to see their favourite band once in a lifetime. What's a shame is that they're probably right unless we had the moral courage to refrain from agreeing with this extortion as a matter of principle.

June 4, 2011 @ 10:47 AM

WOLFGANG

I AM ON THE CANADA TICKETMASTER SITE AND ORDER TICKETS ON CHECKOUT IT ASKS FOR MY STATE, NONE OF WHICH ARE IN CANADA, NOR DID IT LIKE MY CANADIAN ZIP CODE. tICKETMASTER, GET THE HELL OUT OF CANADA!!!!!!

April 4, 2012 @ 9:13 PM