Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 394: Andy Kim

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 394In this 394th episode, Mike chats with Andy Kim about Sugar Sugar, Rock Me Gently, and so much more. This episode is exactly 1:30:18.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Andy Kim and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Palma Pasta, Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair, Property in the 6ix, Paytm Canada and Sensus Design and Build. Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

glb   Palma Pasta   Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair

propertyinthesix   paytm   Sensus Design and Build

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Beatts

Thanks Mike !!

November 6, 2018 @ 3:45 PM

dale

Thanks Mike, will listen later

November 6, 2018 @ 4:17 PM

Rick C in Oakville

A Canadian icon, thanks Mike

November 6, 2018 @ 6:26 PM

andrew

Rock Me Gently by Andy sounds as Neil Diamond. Listen again & see what I mean.

November 6, 2018 @ 9:02 PM

jimbo

cool post, mike

November 6, 2018 @ 9:43 PM

chris

@Mike
Have U ever considered ODOG from TSN or Nick Kypreos coming to your podcast?
Jeff or Nick would be a great conversation with either.
Either one of them will be the next chapter for Coach's Corner when Grapes retires..

November 6, 2018 @ 10:17 PM

@chris

I asked Jeff O'Neill a couple of years ago and he told me he wasn't interested.

I haven't yet asked Kypreos.

November 6, 2018 @ 10:29 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Fantastic stories! One of my first 45s was "Sugar Sugar" by The Archies and so I've always had an
appreciation for this man's tremendous songwriting talent. That Baron Longfellow track "I'm Gonna Need A Miracle" from 1984 deserved to be a massive hit. Great sound and totally of a piece with that
particular era! Nice to see him still creating new music, giving back to the community and receiving
well-deserved accolades for his diverse body of work.

November 7, 2018 @ 10:33 AM

jj

I really like this interview. He is complementing you, which is well deserved and I am fan-girling on your behalf!

November 7, 2018 @ 1:43 PM

JM

Great episode. I have been out to several of Andy's Christmas concerts and highly recommend it!!!

Never appreciated Ron Sexsmith until I saw him perform live at one of Andy's events.

And Andy's hits are iconic, timeless. Amazing to hear them in a live setting.

November 8, 2018 @ 2:12 PM

Javed Jafri

My fave Sugar Sugar story involves power pop greats the Rubinoos and here it is. Brave lads who knew a good song:

Several 'high points' of the band's early career included: A performance at Bill Graham's Winterland Auditorium, September 24, 1974, on a bill with the Jefferson Starship. At this concert, the Rubinoos were joined on stage by Jonathan Richman, who danced to their version of The Archies' "Sugar, Sugar". This was greeted with intense booing and a pelting of unripe bananas by members of the audience

November 9, 2018 @ 2:11 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Javed Jafri
Great story! The Rubinoos, now there's yet another power pop band that appears to be
very unfairly lost to the unjust musical dustbin of time, along with such other great acts as the Dwight Twilley Band, Marshall Crenshaw and The Plimsouls.

November 9, 2018 @ 2:26 PM

Guys like me best know The Rubinoos because their song I Want To Be Your Boyfriend was so similar to Avril Lavigne's Girlfriend that they sued her.

November 9, 2018 @ 3:10 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Hope they made some nice coin off Avril from that 'liberal' borrowing!!

November 10, 2018 @ 9:22 AM