Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 390: Dani Elwell

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 390In this 390th episode, Mike chats with Dani Elwell about her years at CKLN and CKFM, her on-air resignation at CFNY, her time at JAZZ.FM91, sad departure from the station and what's next. This episode is exactly 1:58:15.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Dani Elwell and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix, Paytm Canada and Sensus Design & Build.

glb   propertyinthesix   paytm   Sensus Design and Build

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Burlington Andy

One of the voices I miss most in radio ...

October 25, 2018 @ 4:33 PM

Deb Abbott

Dani is a gem and I miss her so very much.

October 25, 2018 @ 5:49 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Interesting episode. I can still remember hearing Dani Elwell's live, on-air resignation from CFNY back
in 1992. Great to hear her talk about Dalbello and that too-brief snippet of "Tango!" As for the
understandably brief discussion about the ongoing JazzFM debacle, while her current reticence on the
subject somewhat makes sense, I have to admit that I was bit disappointed nevertheless. I have a (very cliched!) sneaking suspicion that we will all continue to be kept in the dark indefinitely. Kind of similar to the ongoing seemingly Omerta (code of silence) around that lengthy Globe and Mail expose of Moses Znaimer.

October 26, 2018 @ 11:06 AM

m m

Great episode. I really loved her night show on CFNY, and one day it was just gone. I didn't know about how it ended until much later... news travelled slower before the internet. I think I have the whole last show.

October 26, 2018 @ 1:36 PM

Jim B

Thanks for this wonderful episode with Dani Elwell, it was so great to hear her again. I echo the comment above about loving her Alternative Bedtime hour on the Spirit CFNY. She has a great voice and sensibility that is just a Toronto treasure.

October 27, 2018 @ 2:39 AM

the brother

Amazing interview, hearing Dani again brings back so many memories of listening to her in University doing evenings on CFNY. Announcers like her inspired me to try college radio and I definitely borrowed music from her playlist when lil ol introvert me got behind a mic in 1991.

I tweeted Dani about the interview and her voice and now follow her on mixcloud. I was thinking I have not heard her since she left 102.1 but that's not true! She was amazing at the CTV voiceovers and McCafe commercials, aspects of her voice work I did not know about until I heard your interview.

Also, thanks for the shoutout TM and Dani!

October 27, 2018 @ 2:45 PM

JR

I first heard of Dani on Jazz-FM actually since I bailed on CFNY around 1981. I love her on-air voice, cool, professional but a friendly intelligence there. I really don't care that much about Mike's quest for Dani, I think that's been well documented on the podcast. Let the guest talk.

October 29, 2018 @ 5:26 PM

bsmntdwllr73

"The Quest For Dani", what an excellent title for a future, retro podcast!!!

October 30, 2018 @ 9:31 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

Alternative title: Searching for Dani Elwell

October 30, 2018 @ 9:35 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Sorry, but the only titular "Search" I could ever get behind is the one that involved a pointy-eared logic
freak from the planet Vulcan!!

October 30, 2018 @ 9:39 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Dani Elwell
Great website! Nice photo of Mr. Spock on the ones and twos!!

October 30, 2018 @ 10:10 AM

LieveFamke

@Mike, thanks for remembering! ;)

October 31, 2018 @ 10:27 AM

Sid_V from NY via London

Just finishing this episode, and it was a good one. I did not listen to Dani back in the day, but she has such an awesome broadcasting voice, and her on-air resignation is the stuff that legends are made of. Thanks for the episode!

October 31, 2018 @ 1:00 PM