Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 384: Moe Berg

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 384In this 384th episode, Mike chats with Moe Berg about The Pursuit of Happiness, Love Junk, and being a Canadian rock star. This episode is exactly 1:32:29.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Moe Berg and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix, Paytm Canada and Sensus Design & Build.

glb   propertyinthesix   paytm   Sensus Design and Build

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Beatts

Please tell Mr King I loved the movie IT

October 15, 2018 @ 4:03 PM

Brian Gerstein (Raptors Devotee)

I just watched IT Saturday night with my family, thought it was awesome. One of my daughter's saw it for the third time, it is that good.

October 15, 2018 @ 4:08 PM

Beatts

Quite a bit filmed in my hometown Port Hope :) They just wrapped up filming for part 2 there recently.

Not a horror fan, but I thought it was great and very funny in parts

October 15, 2018 @ 4:35 PM

Bear

Great episode. Moe is wonderful. Well done!

October 15, 2018 @ 4:54 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Frickin' awesome episode. I'd say that it made me feel like a "cheese-eating high school boy", but I
don't eat sliced cheese and just the thought of the words HIGH SCHOOL kinda makes me instantly break out in hives!!! Also, I have always felt that TPOH deserved to be a much more successful band, especially in the U.S.. Hopefully these reunion shows will lead to at least a little bit of new music, 'cause the world could certainly use some thoughtful power pop at this point, no?!?

Two more things: I used to see Moe B. in various record stores before TPOH's U.S.record deal, but my teen-aged self was always too timid to approach. (Fun fact: although I might come off full off wit and sass online, in person I'm a bit of a proverbial wallflower. NO JOKE!!) And finally (FINALLY!!), nice to hear those kind comments about Brad Barker. Excellent bass player and he is without a
doubt the last remaining good thing about JAZZFM regardless of what their insipid new ad campaign tries to imply!!

October 16, 2018 @ 10:11 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Sorry 'bout the typo above. "FULL OF WIT and SASS", not 'OFF', obviously!! ( I pressed post
comment instead of preview).

October 16, 2018 @ 10:14 AM

@hockeymurph

Been a TPOH fan since the 80's, like you Mike. One of the few bands that I always wanted to see live but never did :(. Was disappointed when Mo didn't reveal that he got the band name from the Stones song "Mothers little helper" like I thought. Every time I hear that line in that song I think of TPOH. Great episode. He has done great things producing as well.

October 16, 2018 @ 11:41 AM

Hamish Grant

It's too late to ask now (unless Moe is reading these comments) but I remember years ago when I lived at the intersection of Queen & Spadina - at the Cameron House nearby there was some graffiti in the men's washroom that read, "Moe Berg Can't Drive" ... I always wondered if that was actually true.

October 16, 2018 @ 3:08 PM

@Hamish Grant

I can confirm he didn't drive to my place.

October 16, 2018 @ 6:30 PM

Al The Royal Pain

Great episode! I thoroughly enjoyed it! Count me as a fan of TPOH. Loving the musical guests! Time to get Kim Mitchell in there!

October 17, 2018 @ 9:47 AM

bsmntdwllr73

I totally concur with Al The Royal Pain. Kim Mitchell would make for some awesome Real Talk!!!

October 17, 2018 @ 9:51 AM

Al The Royal Pain

My first 2 questions to Kim would be, "Remember when you were in Max Webster? That was really cool eh?"

October 17, 2018 @ 9:56 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Al The Royal Pain
I would ask about "Patio Lanterns" and "Easy To Tame." (And not 'cause I'm a fan
of either of those songs!! So it is probably a good thing that I don't have my own podcast
with the potential access of musical greats!!!). Max Webster all the way!

October 17, 2018 @ 10:01 AM

Al The Royal Pain

I heard Kim play an acoustic version of Patio Lanterns and it was then when I realised how good the song actually was. Sometimes you have to strip out the 80s patina to hear a song's true worth.

October 17, 2018 @ 10:05 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Al The Royal Pain
There is absolutely no place for the words "BOBBY VINTON" in a pop song, especially one
from the mid 1980s! !I just can't get past those lyrics. One for the ladies, I suppose!! Still a better tune
than that country pastiche, though!! P.S., a lot of unwanted exposure to the Polish Prince, B. Vinton,
in my childhood home, so my potentially-uncalled for distaste might be due to that!!!

October 17, 2018 @ 10:13 AM

James Edgar

I'm about 80%through while running cable and I'm loving it.

I'm with Al The Royal Pain Kim Mitchell would be amazing. patio lanterns not one of my favourites as well but i can hear the bones of a good song there under the awful 80's production. I Do love Max Webster though the first 3 Albums are still on regular rotation. The 4th and the solo stuff is just too 80's pop

October 17, 2018 @ 12:31 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@James Edgar
But "A Million Vacations" had Terry Watkinson's immortal "Let Go the Line" on it!! Canuck
Pop at its finest, IMHO!! And quite possibly the best Kim Mitchell guitar performance ever!!!!

October 17, 2018 @ 12:48 PM

Al The Royal Pain

I'm sorry to be hijacking Mo's thread for this, but we've begun a twitter campaign to get Kim in Mike's basement. Thank you for the like and comment James!

October 17, 2018 @ 1:23 PM

Laini Giles

Have ALL the albums AND The Green Room. Love Junk is definitely in the top 10 albums of all time, and desert island disks. :)

SO glad I got to see them on their first tour. And was destroyed to find out they were playing SXSW back in about 95 and I was in Dallas (while my mother was visiting for the weekend). Glad I get to see them again this Saturday in Edmonton!

October 31, 2018 @ 8:54 AM

Laini Giles

Oh, and Austin, TX LOVED The Hip. I had several friends who were fanatics back in the day. My Canadian husband was shocked that I knew who they were and were familiar with several of their songs before we met.

Thanks to 120 Minutes on MTV, they had respectable college-radio hits.

October 31, 2018 @ 9:41 AM

Boomer

Hey Mike, just finished listening to the Moe podcast. I really enjoyed this one. I was not really a fan when the original Adult Now came out but fell in love with the song when Love Junk came out. Todd Rundgren did a masterful job producing and the album sounded great. Specifically the snare sound is perfect.

You guys mentioned Hugh Dillon and he would be a great guest. From the Headstones to his acting the man has 2 complete careers and would be really interesting.

Still waiting on Kim Mitchell!

Boomer

November 12, 2018 @ 2:51 PM

@Boomer

Hugh Dillon was booked! Here's the tale: http://www.torontomike.com/2017/05/toronto_miked_is_now_a_pr-free_zon.html

No word from Kim yet... but that means he hasn't said no. :)

November 12, 2018 @ 3:01 PM