Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 381: Colin James

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 381In this 381st episode, Mike chats with Colin James about his 19 albums over 30+ years of making music. This episode is exactly 1:17:51.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Colin James and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix, Paytm Canada and Sensus Design & Build.

glb   propertyinthesix   paytm   Sensus Design and Build

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Cheesy Line Here

He just came back to say goodbye....

September 27, 2018 @ 2:16 PM

Al The Royal Pain

I had to skip a bunch of other podcasts to listen to this one and so glad I did. Very enjoyable. He seemed a little unfocused, but still answered all questions and was cool about things, even though he probably didn't know the format of the show.

September 27, 2018 @ 2:54 PM

@Al The Royal Pain

I think he was just tired. He was on BC time.

I did get the "oh no he's going to play the radio hits instead of the deep cuts" vibe, but he was genuinely nice and rolled with it.

September 27, 2018 @ 4:54 PM

bsmntdwllr73

What a fantastic 77 minutes!! He is such an awesome and vastly-
underrated guitar player, vocalist, song writer and song interpreter.
His frank comments about these classic rock radio outlets not being
able or willing to play his his new music weren't shocking to say the
least, but a sad commentary about commercial radio nevertheless.
Good to hear that he is still creating top-shelf albums over 30 years
into his career. Also, it's a real shame that these very same stations that
historically helped to break artists such as himself, have basically
rolled over and played dead (musically speaking!) for at least the past
dozen years or so. Again, some people reading this will disagree and
go on about all the other more viable ways that new music can currently
be accessed, or comment that rock radio (and how FM radio in general)
is nothing more than a lumbering dinosaur at this point. But I still truly
believe that the format could be somewhat revived. Now, if only there
were some radio P.D.s/M.D.s who had the brass Cojones required to
play great recent music by the likes of worthy artists like CJ. One can
continue to hope, but I guess I shouldn't hold my breath? Well, not
unless I'm recklessly planning on prematurely joining the likes of Michael
Hutchence or David Carradine in Rock &Roll Heaven anytime soon!!

P.S., I saw CJ open up for ZZ Top on the latter's Recycler tour in 1990
and he blew those Tres Hombres(!) off the Gardens stage at the height of
their overly-synthetic shenanigans!!

September 27, 2018 @ 4:55 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Great artist, saw his Little Big Band tour many years ago.
Showed he was a very versatile performer, and not just a rock and roller.

September 27, 2018 @ 7:24 PM

James Edgar

I too skipped over some other podcasts to listen. As always mike great job. Thanks for asking my question which i knew could get some eyes rolling. I found it interesting that he like his new 335. I'm an infrequent reader of some guitar forums and Gibson gets slammed about every 2nd post these days. Mind you that's not Pro guitarists for that most part just wanna bes like me. No i don't bitch I happen to love my LP.

His desert island choice was great. I love Albert king and SRV and in fact i have a DVD/CD of them jamming in Hamilton at the CHCH studios recorded in the early 80's. Amazing stuff.

I'm listening to Miles to Go now and loving it.
I wasn't a huge fan of the vocals on his hits but either his voice has matured or is being recorded different and I'm loving them now.

September 28, 2018 @ 11:22 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@James Edgar
I've never been a player (poor co-ordination) but I had a lot of musical gear in my pre-teen and
teenaged years that I eventually sold back to one pawn shop or another. I still read a lot of musical
publications aimed at gear heads as I'm fascinated by the subject. In the last couple of years
I've became friendly with a pretty good guitar player so it is nice to have someone to talk about this stuff with, even if a lot of what he goes on about is totally over my head!!

September 28, 2018 @ 12:47 PM