Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 379: Humble and Fred Return

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 379In this 379th episode, Mike chats with Humble and Fred about why they weren't renewed at SiriusXM, their move to Funny 820, Fred's current health woes, Howard's love life and the future of radio. This episode is exactly 1:53:53.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Humble and Fred and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix, Paytm Canada and Sensus Design & Build.

glb   propertyinthesix   paytm   Sensus Design and Build

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Rush Mike

Another great episode with H&F. The reference to the, " Dom Deluise character" made me laugh out loud.

September 25, 2018 @ 1:22 PM

Jillian

I completely agree with Mike about his downtown comment to Howard- Islington and Queensway is Etobicoke not downtown. And the constant references to "hipster" restaurants and "hipster parts of the city" are tiresome and annoying.

September 25, 2018 @ 8:29 PM

Personally

Personally, using the word Howard & annoying in the same sentence is redundant. Not a fan.

September 25, 2018 @ 11:40 PM

Steve

Humble continues his passive aggressive approach on this episode
The “ I don’t know where so and so is on the air currently” or “needing to be told the updates o where they are “ like he has no idea, then 30 seconds later he knows everything about the person and where they are working
Annoying
Fred is genuine

September 26, 2018 @ 5:21 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Interesting episode. Would have been nice to have heard more from Fred, but obviously he
had more pressing issues to deal with, like monitoring the contents of his P-bag!! Very good
back and forth between them, even if at times they come off like an old married Jewish couple!!
(P.C. police, relax: I can freely type this as I'm of the faith. You cannot take my truth away from me!!!).

September 26, 2018 @ 10:28 AM

Beatts

Too late bsmntdwllr73.

I'm old, married and offended!

;)

September 26, 2018 @ 10:37 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Beatts
Then I guess I managed to get at least one thing right today.
P.S., the only faith that I subscribe to is Judas Priest's "Defenders of the
Faith" album. Although purely for the music. i wouldn't want Mr. Halford to
get the wrong idea 'bout me!!!

September 26, 2018 @ 11:09 AM

Mississauga bob

I used to listen H&F on Sirius but I was already a subscriber. I disagree that they brought many subscribers to Sirius but I will let them live in that fantasy.

I think got toasted for the following reasons. Like it or not.

1. Too many bangers. Yes Sirius did not pay you much but your audiance paid Sirius and they got feedback for it.

2. Too Toronto centric.

3. The sponsor placements we getting a bit ridiculous. They became self serving to H&F and appeared to be just enhancing their lifestyle (ie. Gift cards for SIR restaurants).

4. Too predictable. H goes golfing. F goes to the tin palace. Phil makes a stupid comment. Really?

So boys, don't be so bitter.

Regarding other things on the podcast.

Mike why do you think AM radio listeners do not like change? Seems like a weird comment and not sure where it came from.

Regarding Funny 820. The signal is Shite. I turned to it in Mississauga and I got nothing but background noise like I was pulling in a station from space.

September 26, 2018 @ 12:37 PM

Jody Thornton

Wow! I was stay quiet until now, and I'm not trying to pretend Howard and Fred are perfect - but JEEZ! We really don't seem to want to champion our own here, do we?

There may be some legitimate points scattered within the comments, but still why not back up some guys trying to do something a tad different? As for CHAM's signal, it's probably one of the most superlative signals on AM that I know. I've heard it nearly clear as a bell in Kincardine (back in the country music days, when it was in Motorola C-Quam Stereo, so you could expect some noise).

I don't know. Why don't we celebrate accomplishments? They have been doing this for seven years or so (is that right? What's October 2011) - anyway. I hope it works out for the parties involved.

September 26, 2018 @ 12:54 PM

Sid_V from NY via London

I was a regular listener on Sirius - I also download the podcasts automatically, but don't get a chance to listen to many of the episodes before they are rolled off and replaced by new ones.

Nobody has done a great job describing it (although Howard has come close) but Sirius Canada missed a huge opportunity not building a bunch of content around H&F instead of treating them like a nuisance. The "National Morning Show" concept was a great one - nobody is successfully doing a daily Canada-wide radio show other than the lame-o "National Post Radio" show on Sirius that tries eay too hard to be Fox News North. A lot of the H&F content could be repackaged for other Sirius channels as well - they get some A list and up-and-coming B list musical performances that could have a place on one of the Canuck music stations, and a weekly interview package culled from their show could work well on Canada Talks. Why wouldn't they promote and encourage well-known talent like H&F, instead of keeping them boxed in?

Unfortunately SiriusXM Canada seems to exist only to create the minimum amount of government-mandated Canadian content that is required under their operating license, and apparently doing any more than the absolute minimum is not of interest.

The Dom DeLouise nickname made me laugh out loud. Perfect. Get well soon, Freddy P - I hope your bladder enjoys its time off.

September 26, 2018 @ 3:39 PM

Anonymous

In case it's not obvious, Dom DeLuise is Ben Miner.

September 26, 2018 @ 3:48 PM

@Mississauga bob

I suppose it's not just AM radio listeners who don't like change, but people as a whole. Generally speaking, of course.

September 26, 2018 @ 8:56 PM

Axll

Really enjoyed this show...they can be funny when talking about there own personal idiosyncrasies like the conversation about the pee bag and gout.As far as product placement everyone does that now.Mike does it all the time that's what pays the bill

October 3, 2018 @ 10:08 PM