Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 378: THEME-OLOGY 101

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 378In this 378th episode, Retrontario presents THEME-OLOGY 101. Or as I like to call it, Retrontario kicks out the Canadian TV theme jams! This episode is exactly 2:01:17.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Retrontario and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix, Paytm Canada and Sensus Design & Build.

glb   propertyinthesix   paytm   Sensus Design and Build

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Rob J

Thanks so much for playing the "Seeing Things" theme! That real estate guy who crapped on it (Brian?) might be sniffing too much paint in all those new condos he's hawking. Ed's appearances on TM are like digital comfort-food and listeners won't be able to stop smiling fondly for the entire episode, not to mention the casual references to both 'Columbo' and Brett Hull!

In hindsight, a key touchstone in my childhood was the building of a CITY-TV broadcast tower deep in 519-country, so that a young me was able to be exposed to the greatness and quirkiness of that channel despite figuratively being a world away from Toronto.

If I retroactively ever become an MLB player, the punk version of "The Beachcombers" will undoubtedly be my walk-up song.

Thanks, TM and Ed for a phenomenal couple hours!

September 22, 2018 @ 3:10 PM

Ed "RETRONTARIO" Conroy

Thanks Rob J, for the kind words, and great taste in theme songs. Hanging out with TM and talking about Canadian TV over a couple of ice cold GLB crispy boys is pretty much the best thing ever. It is an honor to be invited back, and always a pleasure to shoot the breeze in the TM environment.

September 22, 2018 @ 8:22 PM

@Rob J

And of course, that was my error. It was Bobby Hull on the album, not Brett.

Maybe I should actually start wearing my glasses.

September 23, 2018 @ 12:30 PM

Rob J

Haha, it did seem a little random for it to be Brett. When he got the '99 Cup winner, Bob Cole first called him *Dennis* then Brett, and that was after he mistakenly said Modano scored it. CBC actually edited the call as part of subsequent highlight packages.

September 23, 2018 @ 2:58 PM

Rick

Part 1- Have only listened to half of this, but am enjoying it as much as I expected I would. Some observations:
Catts and Dog - is what the show Shelley Petersen was on?
Elvis would certainly one of the first news stories I remember. Jonestown massacre too.
Peter Gross - Soooo happy you mentioned Butterbump in the 8th. I remember watching it. Also remember they were casting for someone to play the boy in the show. I emailed Peter about this program before. The World According to Gross were always very enjoyable.
Seeing Things - awesome theme!
Street Legal theme isn't too bad. Did Material World have much a theme?
Trouble with Tracy - awesome show. Awesome Theme.
Edison Twins - fun educational show.
So happy with the TVO block of themes - I could be a bit biased on this one. I do believe Read All About it had 20 episodes in each series.
"Math is Gay" LOL! Great discussion there.

THE COLLABORATORS!!!! This episode is just getting better and better! Part 2 coming soon....

September 24, 2018 @ 11:32 AM

Rick

Fashion TV - FTW!!!!! Interesting details about the various themes!

Definition - such a good theme!

What Will They Think of Next/Science International. Really enjoyed this show. Even had the book that came out!

Fantastic information about the Eyewitness News theme! Never knew that there was more to the theme than what was on the TV!

Live it Up! I have two versions!

Jonathan Burgess with the bow-tie?

September 24, 2018 @ 1:47 PM

LieveFamke

Another great Retrontario episode!
Wow, like I told you at TMXL1, my Uncle Bobby story is just that he was rude to me and my brother and telling us he hated kids.. but motor boating!?! Definitely wouldn't be happening now! LOL.

another +thumbs up for Seeing Things theme (and the show). It was my favourite growing up! :)

@Mike, I'm very disappointed that you were 'surprised' at the Billy Van Museum in Hamilton! I tweeted this to you back on 2018-07-28.. yes I actually looked it up!

September 24, 2018 @ 2:14 PM

Chuck 99

My Dad was a huge fan on What Will They Think of Next?, which was known as Science International during its first season. The hosts were American actor Joseph Campanella and Canadian actress/ U.S. news anchor Tiiu Leek.

The Collaborators theme was also used as the intro to CFL football on CBC in the early seventies.

Also, I believe City TV used the theme from Star Wars as the intro for its evening movies in the late seventies.

September 24, 2018 @ 3:09 PM

@LieveFamke

I've forgotten more than you'll ever know!!!

And yes, now I remember that I knew that, before I forgot that. :)

September 24, 2018 @ 9:00 PM

Greg

Great episode! I'm with you guys on the Street Legal theme, but I kinda like the vaguely David Wilcox-like theme from the early seasons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp7jtfdk_1s

And the first CityPulse Tonight theme was a cover of the Temptations' Masterpiece done by Grover Washington Jr. (best known for the 'Just the two of us' duet with Bill Withers.)

September 25, 2018 @ 9:41 PM

bsmntdwllr73

An episode well worth the wait, and it has instantly become my fave of the yea!! That is, until
the Christmas Crackers volume two episode in December. Although I take personal umbrage
with one thing: There can never be enough of that "Magic Shadows" theme!!! It could have
filled every slot in this episode and I would not have complained one iota. Also, I must defend
my beloved Street Legal: Sure, it's third theme was kinda cheesy in a late '80s cocaine sax manner,
but the first season featured a groovy title tune by David Wilcox and then it was replaced by a
somewhat easy listening track for the next couple of seasons. Just typing this almost makes me
want to go and grow my nails again for some fun mad powder adventures. No, not really. Regrettably,
I never managed to progress into a coke addiction any stronger than the bottled and canned variety.
Scared straight. Thanx, Pops!!

September 26, 2018 @ 10:37 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Sorry about the missed "r" in 'year' in the first sentence!

September 26, 2018 @ 12:14 PM