Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 375: Dani Stover Returns

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 375In this 375th episode, Mike chats with BlogTO podcaster Dani Stover about her new gig and what's happening at indie88 and 102.1 the Edge before kicking out the jams. This episode is exactly 1:30:14.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Dani Stover and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix, Paytm Canada and Sensus Design & Build.

glb   propertyinthesix   paytm   Sensus Design and Build

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Jody Thornton

Hey Mike:

Was there not also an episode with Stacey Thompson? Maybe it was on Twitter.

Cheers!

September 13, 2018 @ 1:10 PM

@Jody Thornton

Stacey came over for a visit, but not for an episode. So we did pose for a pic, but there's no episode.... yet!

September 13, 2018 @ 2:02 PM

kman

So let me get this straight-Edge afternoons are being voice-tracked from Vancouver? I never ever thought this would happen, Afternoon Drive in the most important market in Canada is not live and local. This is getting very bizzare, the new Edge drive host Meredith Geddes is at Vancouver's version of The Edge: CFOX in Vancouver, but it gets weirder, her co-host at The Edge is Tom who used to be The Edge's Morning Show producer. So my next thought was maybe she re-located to Toronto, but then I checked CFOX's site to see she is doing afternoon drive there as well with a co-host. I wonder how this would be possible.

After doing some more digging it appears Meredith is on 4 stations: The Edge: https://edge.ca/shows/, CFOX: https://cfox.com/shows/, FM96 (London): https://fm96corus.wordpress.com/shows/ and Power 97 (Winnipeg): https://power97.com/shows/
Also some other familiar names on all 4 stations websites. Radio is no longer recognizable anymore.

September 13, 2018 @ 3:48 PM

@kman

Yes, this is happening. 102.1's afternoons are being voice-tracked from Vancouver.

September 13, 2018 @ 4:22 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Respectfully disagree with the guest's sentiments, but there can never be enough AC/DC!!!!! Understandable that she might be tired of them due to forced over-exposure as a radio DJ,
but I, for one, will certainly be going down that particular rockin' rabbit hole as an aural palate cleanser, post haste!! (You won't have to read too much between the lines to get at my true meaning with that comment, but it was my very feeble attempt at being polite. Guess it was an epic failure!!).

September 13, 2018 @ 4:24 PM

Al The Royal Pain

Fun episode, I've subscribed to "Only In Toronto" to give it a go.

Sorry @bsmntdwllr73, but I'm with Dani re: ACDC, I've had to use my veto on more than one occasion with the Pains when talking about which new songs to do. My rules are simple, no country, I don't rap and no ACDC, everything else is fair game...although I'm coming around on the rap rule.

September 14, 2018 @ 9:07 AM

Beatts

She doesn't like ACDC ?

Not listening.

September 14, 2018 @ 9:26 AM

Beatts

If you don't like Bon Scott, we can't be friends....

September 14, 2018 @ 9:27 AM

Al The Royal Pain

You probably wouldn't approve of her jams anyway Beatts, but far be it from me to tell anyone not to list to TOMike'd.

I don't hate Bon Scott or Brian Johnson. I certainly don't have their range or vocal fortitude. I admit ACDC puts on a great live show. Their music just bores me. Too much of it growing up in rural Ontario, that's all.

September 14, 2018 @ 10:48 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Al the Royal Pain
While I can understand some singers' reluctance to sing AC/DC songs because they
can be real throat shredders, I'd hate to think that you aren't a fan of the band in general.
Some of the finest rock riffs ever created, and a driving back beat, to boot!
#2EachTheirOwn!! P.S., many of the band's best songs were the deeper album tracks
and not the tired setlist the have featured forever and a day in concert. (Sorry, Beatts!!)

@Beatts
Truer words have never been spoken/typed!! Bon Scott all the way, although I love
the "Flick of the Switch" album and the "Who Made Who" single (guitars emulating
the synths from "Baba O'Riley", you can't beat that!!!).

September 14, 2018 @ 10:50 AM

Beatts

@bsmntdwllr73 I agree with deeper album tracks...

Down payment blues, Hell ain't a bad place to be... Love all that

September 14, 2018 @ 11:50 AM

Beatts

@Al although it doesn't convey well in the typed form.... I am joking and will listen (even if your and Dani's opinions are wrong) ;)

September 14, 2018 @ 11:51 AM

Al The Royal Pain

@Beatts I'm joking too. ACDC actually sucks. :P

September 14, 2018 @ 1:23 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Beatts
So my fave Bon Scott-era AC/DC tracks other than "Problem Child" (describes me to a "T" until
this very day!!), include the very gentle and tender "Touch Too Much" and "Love At First Feel",
'cause I'm a total romantic and not at all afraid to admit and embrace my true feelings, just like the
majority of Mr. Scott's heartfelt lyrics, especially such low-key acoustic strummers like "The
Jack" and the rarer (in North America, pre Youtube) "Crabsody In Blue." Those brutal and overly
harsh singers like Dan Fogelberg and Morris Albert (look him up, kiddies!!) could really learn
a thing or two from this great man's lyrical teachings!!

September 14, 2018 @ 5:58 PM

That's Not My Name

Mike, I think you're taking about BPC ('Best Portuguese Chicken') on the Queensway. On the south west end/Etobicoke, it's legit. (just the chicken and combos though. they overcharge for their apps)

September 17, 2018 @ 5:07 PM

@That's Not My Name

Yes! BPC.

September 17, 2018 @ 5:14 PM

Chuck 99

It will be interesting to see if the rumor of The Edge flipping to Country comes true. With no permanent morning hosts and voice-tracking in the afternoon, it does seem as if the station is in a holding pattern.

And, yes, you would think that the staff at Indie 88 would be more eager to promote their station when ratings continue to hover around a 1 share.

September 18, 2018 @ 12:24 AM

Nobodyspecial

I agree with Jody. Can you book Stacey Thompson so we can hear what’s happening at The Move and her Boom gig? She’s lovely.

September 20, 2018 @ 2:30 AM