Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 373: Dahlia Kurtz

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 373In this 373rd episode, Mike chats with Dahlia Kurtz about her career on the radio, writing a syndicated column, playing professional table tennis and her father's landmark lawsuit. Oh yeah, and she also kicks out the jams. This episode is exactly 1:38:47.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Dahlia Kurtz and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix, Paytm Canada and Sensus Design & Build.

glb   propertyinthesix   paytm   Sensus Design and Build

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Jody Thornton

Two Podcasts in ONE DAY? Wow you're a machine D3! :p

September 4, 2018 @ 7:30 PM

@Jody

And I updated my LinkedIn profile!

September 4, 2018 @ 9:11 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Damn man, you were on a mission yesterday!

September 5, 2018 @ 6:41 AM

Beatts

Haven't listened yet but Dahlia looks like a party :) Looking forward to this one.

September 5, 2018 @ 8:25 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Wow. Dahlia is a trip! She's awesome!

September 5, 2018 @ 9:05 AM

Al The Royal Pain

In my opinion Find The River by R.E.M. is a perfect song. It's one of my favourites and so Dahlia is now one of my favourite TM jam-kickers.

September 6, 2018 @ 10:12 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Undoubtedly this episode has become my new overall favourite of the entire year. I've been feeling
beyond low (or at least a lot more than usual lately), and for the duration of this show I was able
to forget my troubles for a little awhile. Such a smart and intuitive interviewee, I could have listened to
Dahlia speak for a couple more hours (easy) at least. While I had never heard any of her previous radio work, I was slightly more familiar with some of her newspaper articles. Any episode that includes Real Talk about Sony Walkmans, cassettes, 8-Track Tapes, the difference between Yiddish and Hebrew, is an absolute must-listen in my books. Plus, what an incredibly attractive lady (not just physically!)
as well.

September 6, 2018 @ 4:00 PM

dahlia kurtz

@Jody and @Jason - Mike certainly was on a mission. And kindness was certainly part of it. He accommodated me a little unexpectedly. :) And thanks for joining along on the trip, Jason!

@beatts - Always a party. Have fun!

@Al - My new Twitter bestie. Thank you!

@bsmntdwllr73 - Mike made my day. But you just made my month. You're very kind. Thank you for taking your time to listen - and I hope things get better for you. Lots of mazel :)

September 6, 2018 @ 9:53 PM

Jason from Sudbury

@Dahlia: I know you said you didn't like the #7, 7 and 11 are some of my favorit numbers. I forget what you said about 7 except the fact you didn't like it, 9 is a bully, what are numbers 11 and 14?

September 7, 2018 @ 9:56 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Shit, I thought of this after I clicked submit...if 6 is your favorit number and 9 is a bully, would that make the number 69 an awesome bully? Not that bullies are awesome lol but I was just trying to come up with a combination of something with 6 and 9.

September 7, 2018 @ 9:57 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@dahlia kurtz
Glad you appreciated my comments and I'm thankful for your good wishes, but alas, I doubt
even the Blue Fairy or The Wizard of Oz could ever make me whole again. And no, I'm not the
human personification of Humpty Dumpty, we just share a similar kind of physique!!

September 7, 2018 @ 4:04 PM

dahlia kurtz

@Jason - 7 is trying to be like 9 and impress him. 9 is the worst. THE WORST. 7 can still redeem himself. but he needs to seek 10's wisdom for that. 11 tries to be nice, but he has a bad streak. can't be trusted. 12 tries to guide him. but to no real avail. 14, much like 4, is just there. doesn't contribute much. just drifts through life. on the brightside for 4 and and 14, neither of them need much to make them happy. they're quite content. and yes. numbers can combine, which can affect their personalities. but I'll let you attribute those combo-personalities :)

September 7, 2018 @ 8:04 PM

dahlia kurtz

@bsmntdwllr73 - see ... even though you just wrote something kinda sad there, your humour made me smile ... no one may be able to make you whole, but you just made a perfect stranger smile. that's a pretty cool accomplishment! :)

September 7, 2018 @ 8:07 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@dahlia Kurtz
Well, they do say that some of the greatest comedy comes from the darkest tragedy, so
I probably have that angle covered in spades; 'cept for one thing, I'm not a comic (at least,
not yet!!). More like the villageidiot416, parkdale edition!!! True story: 'bout 10 years ago, Mr.
Yuk Yuk's himself, Mark Breslin, personally told me that my comedic stylings were a little "TOO JEWISH!!!" Pretty rich coming from a fellow member of the tribe, but also probably true in a Russell Peters and Aziz Ansari (too soon?!?) world!!!

September 8, 2018 @ 9:47 AM

LieveFamke

@bsmtdwllr73, you actually went on stage? I thought you had social anxiety!?

September 8, 2018 @ 11:51 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@LieveFamke
My comedic abilities are one of the few things about me through which have few doubts.
Yes, I've done open mike events a handful of times and even once won a sort of fixed comedy
contest at a U of T area bar, but that was a very long time ago. Most comedy takes place in bars/
night clubs and I'm very uncomfortable in those types of places. Though seven years ago I was part
of a MDAO (Mood Disorders of Ontario) initiative and our so-called graduation event took place
in a library in the Yonge-Eglinton area. Needless to say, I was more than in my comedic element
on that evening. And I didn't even work blue!! Alas, a future tour of all 100 TPL branches isn't
in the offing. sob!!!

September 8, 2018 @ 12:27 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Above should have obviously read "through which I have few doubts." Always anxious to get these
things done rather quickly 'cause I never know whether or not they will post or not, what with
the very irregular maintenance/updating of TPL's mass computer system!!

September 8, 2018 @ 12:30 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

If you want five minutes before Shoalts and Joyce on Wednesday night, it can be arranged. Just say so!

September 8, 2018 @ 1:03 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Can we play it by ear, as you earlier suggested? Very interested, and I will definitely be attending,
but I don't want to prematurely make any promises my (hopeful) laughter can't keep!!

September 8, 2018 @ 1:09 PM

LieveFamke

@bsmntdwllr73 wow, interesting, well good luck if you do decide to go on!

September 8, 2018 @ 1:19 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@LieveFamke
Thanks a lot!! Might bring a six-pack of Jolt Cola (is that still a thing?) to get me
amped up. Wouldn't be prudent do some pre-show "blow" (not that I ever would!!), what with Yom
Kippur around the corner. See, some of us need all the help that we can get!!!

September 8, 2018 @ 1:26 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Man I am far behind on these but have had some major driving trips recently, and catching up.
I nearly bailed after the first song (I am almost 57 years old) but hanging in was very rewarding. The personal story's behind the music and the connection to her father was very heartfelt. Dahlia is a very articulate, and engaging person. Wish I had listened to this before the GLB TMX night and had a chance to speak with her.

September 25, 2018 @ 9:06 PM