Thank You For Coming to #TMLX2!

Last night #TMLX2 went off without a hitch! Well, there was one wrinkle when Splash'N Boots got held up in Newfoundland where they're recording at Alan Doyle's house, but everything else worked out perfectly, including the weather.

The Royal Pains were awesome once more. Seriously, you should hire this band. They're amazing.

David Shoalts and Gare Joyce brought the funny. I didn't expect to laugh so hard. Kevin McGran from The Toronto Star took video with Gare's camera, so I'll see if I can't share both sets. Very funny stuff.

A number of past guests made the trip and it was great to see everybody again. I saw Mike Wilner, Lou Schizas, Keegan Matheson, Dahlia Kurtz, Humble Howard Glassman, and of course, Hebsy. Even Andrew Stoakley and Elvis were there!

And of course, so many fantastic listeners! LieveFamke and her husband Juan returned with name tags for everyone, bsmntdwllr73 was back, as was Rick C in Oakville, Rush Mike, Steve H., Michael Lange, Joe, Andie and James. And so many made their first appearance at a TMLX, including Tyler, Ian, Greg, Brother Neil, Dawn, Doug, Irwin, Harold, Shem, Alice, Andrew, Nicole, Hunter, Jamie, the Dads in the Six, Milon, Mac, Mike M., Stephanie, Stephanie's cousin from Pickering, and so many more I'll remember two minutes after I click "publish" on this entry.

Thank you for listening, thank you for your emails, your tweets, your comments, your support, and for being there last night. Here are some photos from #TMLX2.

Dm7er78VAAUaZyQ

H.o.E.

In that second photo, Serena Williams looks quite different from what I expected, yet also somehow vaguely familiar.

September 13, 2018 @ 9:23 AM

Beatts

Does bsmntdwllr73 put " bsmntdwllr73" on his name tag ?

I think instead of "Beatts" I would go with my first name Venus

September 13, 2018 @ 9:36 AM

Beatts

I'm jealous though. I NEED to make one of these in the future. Working through that traffic after 5 pm is a special kind of hell though... One day!

September 13, 2018 @ 9:37 AM

H.o.E.

Was there an angry crowd of Splash'N Boots fans there when you announced their non-appearance? That kind of situation can cause problems.
Toronto fans riot over Alice Cooper no-show

September 13, 2018 @ 10:03 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Beatts
Yes, I wrote 'bsmntdwllr73' as my handle on the nametag. Fun fact: I had to do it twice, 'cause
my sloppy 'penmanship' and clumsiness effed the first one up. #that'sSObsmnt!!

@H.o.E.
Was totally heartbroken when Al from the Royal Pains first told me 'bout the cancellation of Boots
(didn't really show up to watch that Splash fella). Guess he would have been eye candy or something for the ladies if he had shown up! However, what sane musicians could ever possibly turn down the chance to record with Alan Doyle from Great Big Sea?

Kudos to Al and the Royal Pains for another epic performance. Their fantastic cover of The Cult's
"She Sells Sanctuary" was the highlight of my evening. Well, other than the Harvey's I indulged in
shortly after the event. And as for the comedy, Mr. Shoalts and Steve Bannon's Northern Doppelganger (you had to be there to understand!!) both delivered strong sets.

September 13, 2018 @ 10:23 AM

jj

Glad everyone had fun! I am trying to sell my car, so I had to schedule someone to come see it last night. Fingers crossed it passes for a safety, and it is sold.

It looks like everyone had a blast - did Elvis give any brief lectures on the usage of the word diva? :)

September 13, 2018 @ 10:36 AM

Al The Royal Pain

We had a great time once again and I do believe that this time Mike outdrew the band...which is fine by us!

It was great meeting so many folks in person though, including:

@Rick C From Oakville - Nice to see you again!
@bsmntdwllr73 - Always a pleasure! You should have said you were grabbing Harvey's after, I might have joined you!
Shoalts - Big fan since the fan!
Joyce - You look more like Garrison Keillor but that's nowhere near as funny.
Stoakly - Loved talking a little shop with you.
Lange - I need one of those T-shirts!
Matheson - My epically bearded brother.
Elvis - THE Epically bearded one!
Dahlia Kurtz - As soon as I saw the blond curls I knew who it was, we will one day duet to Find The River.
@lievefamke - Thanks for the labels. It was nice to see you and your husband again!
Hebsy - It was awesome to meet you! Next time, stay longer if you want to hear more Hip. ;)

I'm forgetting others, apologies to those I forgot.

My only regret was not taking a second to say hi to Mike Wilner before he left. Ah well, there is always next time.

September 13, 2018 @ 10:46 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Al the Royal Pain
It was an impromptu decision, made while making my way towards whichever TTC route could get
me back to stately Parkdale the slowest!!

September 13, 2018 @ 10:52 AM

LieveFamke

Another great night!

Dawn and I 'fangirled' over Elvis! ;) (Watch out @MIke, you are going to be getting a talking to re: Shoalts' book is only for your fathers/sons/brothers...)

The Royal Pains were great again!

And it was nice to talk to everyone there.

There will be definitely name tags if we aren't meeting until the spring for TMLX3!!

September 13, 2018 @ 11:04 AM

Douglas

I missed #2. It was the monthly pub night with the east GTA guys in my driving club. So, I am hoping that there will be a TMLX3. I might have to ditch the driving club guys if there's a conflict next time.

September 13, 2018 @ 11:59 AM

Rush Mike

Another great event..... amazing group of people, always great beer and staff @ GLB and The Royal Pains rocked... hoping to see them on Sep 29th @ the Olde Free House in Newmarket.
Looking forward to TMLX3 !

September 13, 2018 @ 12:49 PM

@Rush Mike

And thank you for wearing another Rush shirt!

September 13, 2018 @ 2:03 PM

Al The Royal Pain

@Rush Mike YES GUY! I hope to see you there too!

September 13, 2018 @ 2:03 PM

@Douglas

There will be a TMLX3, I just haven't decided when yet... spring 2019 for sure. Maybe earlier if someone can sell me on it!

I was impressed another Doug made the trek, because he's from Sudbury, but then he revealed that he was doing some work in Mississauga.

September 13, 2018 @ 2:04 PM

@LieveFamke

Aw man, did I really say you buy hockey books for fathers, sons and brothers? I'm so sexist! In my defense, I'm only parroting what I've been told.

p.s. If anyone has bought a hockey book for a mother, daughter or sister, let me know in the comments! :)

September 13, 2018 @ 2:06 PM

@LieveFamke

And thank Juan for the pants!

And if you were my event planner, when would you want TMLX3 to take place?

September 13, 2018 @ 2:06 PM

Beatts

Can anyone confirm or deny any Diva like behavior last night at the event ?

September 13, 2018 @ 2:26 PM

Urooj Islam

@Beatts

You better be wearing a "Cheryl" name-tag if you ever show up to one of these things!

September 13, 2018 @ 3:09 PM

Beatts

@Urooj, I bow down to you my friend. That honor is all yours!

September 13, 2018 @ 4:00 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Beatts (Re:Diva Behaviour Question)
Well, Mike did question whether Molly J. was in attendance during a couple of his speeches
last night!! Doesn't make him a Diva at all, but it would have been nice if some kind of dramatic
reunion between the two of them had taken place. Like that classic peace-making between Jerry
Lewis and Dean Martin brokered by Frank Sinatra during a mid-'70s telethon, although we'll always have their treasured post-show selfie and blessed hour of time together as cherished, eternal keep-sakes!!

September 13, 2018 @ 4:18 PM

LieveFamke

@Mike, Juan says you're welcome and wear them in good health (and safe winter biking!)

hmm next TMLX3? For me, the patio/beer/music is such a warm weather thing! Can GLB host that many people (80?!?) inside in the winter??

September 13, 2018 @ 7:52 PM

@LieveFamke

It's a pretty big room back there. I'm sure it could hold 80.

Patio party in June 2019 regardless!

September 13, 2018 @ 8:00 PM

Moosegrumpy

@LieveFamke Thank you so much for letting me crash in on you and Juan! I was having some severe anxiety about attending events alone and you made me feel so welcome.

Love to jump in and help event plan #TMLX3!

September 14, 2018 @ 1:31 PM

Moosegrumpy

@Al The Royal Pain

You guys are outstanding! I enjoyed your music so much. Sorry I had to bail out early but it was a school night and well...kids.

September 14, 2018 @ 1:34 PM

LieveFamke

@Moosegrumpy, you're welcome... and you weren't grumpy like your name suggests!! ;)

September 14, 2018 @ 3:01 PM

Courtesy of Moosegrumpy

September 14, 2018 @ 4:08 PM

James Edgar

I've been a bit busy since Wednesday and havent had a chance to say thanks to Mike for a great time and Thanks to @Rush Mike for that Beer he so kindly bought me!

I had a really great chat with @Rick C from Oakville as well. I forgot to ask at the time but I'm wondering which Regiment your father served in.

Looking forward to TMLX3 whenever or where ever!

BTW Mike i just sent you a link to the Video from TMLX1 sorry for the delay.

September 17, 2018 @ 9:02 AM

Al The Royal Pain

@Moosegrumpy

Thank you for the kind words! I don't think we had a chance to chat. Next time, come say hi, I'd love to meet you in person.

September 17, 2018 @ 10:11 AM

Al The Royal Pain

@TOMike

For what it's worth, I think that indoor space at GLB would be a great venue! Certainly better for more stand-up comedy, Dani Gray's sketch comedy and even the first Toronto Mike'd Euchre tournament!

Just putting it out there.

September 17, 2018 @ 10:15 AM

@Al The Royal Pain

Ok... so a June patio party is in the works for sure, but maybe something over the winter in that indoor space?

September 17, 2018 @ 3:24 PM