Meet Meredith Geddes. She Voice Tracks 102.1 the Edge's Afternoon Drive Show from Vancouver

Earlier today, I was discussing the morning show at 102.1 the Edge with Dani Stover, who used to produce the Dean Blundell Show on that station. I find it curious that 102.1 hasn't launched a new morning show yet, despite the fact it's ratings season.

Marc from 12:36 tells me 102.1 the Edge has a new afternoon drive show, and it's called Meredith & Tom. But here's the kicker... Meredith is doing the show from Vancouver, although I'm told Tom is actually here in the big smoke.

edge

Meredith's show on Vancouver's CFOX is called Meredith & Jeremy. This show is live and local.

cfox

But wait, there's more! Meredith Geddes also voice tracks a show for London's FM96. This one is simply called Meredith Geddes.

fm96

And finally there's Winnipeg's Power 97 where, you guessed it, Meredith Geddes is voice tracking a show. This one is simply called Meredith.

power97

There's a lot to unpack here. Firstly, let's not bury the lede. 102.1 the Edge now has an afternoon drive show that's not live and local. Yes, voice tracking is gaining popularity, because it's so much cheaper, but you'd think the morning and afternoon drive shows would remain live and local. You'd think wrong.

Meredith Geddes now hosts four different shows in four different markets with four different program names. Does Jeremy know about Tom? How much is there to say about her love for cats? Will Meredith also be named the new 102.1 the Edge morning show?

Stay tuned...

bsmntdwllr73

This doesn't sound very good as far as the live and local part is concerned. I'm still personally
gutted that Q107 dropped its not entirely-loved (and voice-tracked as well) "Willy on Q". No joke,
but I really loved their Friday night recap show, and the weekly phone-in with mega-music-manager
Bruce Allen. So perhaps there might be a bit of an opportunity for whatever CFNY is calling itself
these days to experiment a little bit with the form and content of this show, too. But probably not!!

September 13, 2018 @ 4:53 PM

Brian Cook

Actually it will surprise you to know but Meredith arrives at the Vancouver studios early. She is there Mid morning. Voicetracks her power and FM 96 shows for the next day but then she does jump in live at times to talk about current things to give the impression she is local. Then she sits in the studio in Vancouver and does the edge afternoon show with Tom (whoever he is) and then she sits with Jeremy Baker and does her afternoon live and local show in Vancouver.
Edge is currently running Kid Craig and Ian Lynch on mornings. Not sure if it is permanent or not. Also I have been hearing weekend announcers that are yet to be listed on the website. Meredith is a great host and listening to the edge afternoon show and CFOX afternoon show you wouldn't really think she is doing two shows in two major markets from one city.
Q and Edge still have work to do to be great stations again and same with Y108.

September 13, 2018 @ 5:19 PM

Anonymous

It's funny that humble and fred took a beating from kingston for doing their morning show from toronto.

And now that I think about it they're about to do a morning show in hamilton from toronto

September 13, 2018 @ 6:11 PM

Steve

I realize it's just how things are now and that it's going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better assuming it ever does, but all this voice tracking is seriously pathetic. So much radio now sounds so much alike that it's almost unlistenable. It's either people who have obviously never been to your town pretending very poorly that they live there or it's Spotify with commercials and a terribly limited playlist. Guess what, clowns. We already have that. It's called free Spotify, and it sucks too...just a little bit less. All of this makes me so mad because I love radio. At it's best, there's nothing quite like it. But almost nobody in a position to do anything seems to care about that anymore.

September 13, 2018 @ 6:23 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Steve
Perfect and very rational statements. Could not agree with you more!!!

September 13, 2018 @ 6:47 PM

Rob J

With other options, why do people still choose radio? Endlessly repeated songs, endlessly repeated ads, endlessly repeated 'banter', endlessly repeated fake laughing, endlessly repeated news updates when nothing new happens, endlessly repeated---well, you get my drift.

September 13, 2018 @ 7:43 PM

Dick

Exactly why I and everybody are leaving in droves to listen to 94.9. Craig and Lucky are the funniest morning show I've heard. Lobsterboy was the only thing funny about Derringer for years. Dean Blundell joins them a couple times a week, great to hear Dean back and he has changed so much too, for the better. Bob Willett, Doug Elliot, Laurie Ann and Lee Eklee. I used to listen to Lee on CHUM FM for years.

This is a great radio station the music is amazing.

September 13, 2018 @ 7:51 PM

H.o.E.

I vaguely remember at some time in the mid to late 1970s being able to hear an FM station from Buffalo that I think must have been DJ-less except for a pre-recorded announcer. It sucked, but at least they weren't trying to fool listeners into thinking there was a live person on the air.

September 13, 2018 @ 8:53 PM

Cambo

...and why most radio is shite now.

September 13, 2018 @ 9:32 PM

Jody Thornton

@HoE

That was the automation system called Stereo Rock. It aired on Rock 102 in Buffalo (now present-day Star 102.5) between 1974 and 1984. The sound quality was incredible for the time.

And the announcer would backsell the two current hits and then the next song played.

September 13, 2018 @ 11:15 PM

Phill

I'm enjoying the new Y108 morning show. Funny group that seem to all like each other, and they just changed the music up a bit. Less Alternative and more new rock and classic.

September 14, 2018 @ 12:54 AM

cGrant

Poor Meredith putting in exemplary effort in her career to work in 4 markets. How dare she. Maybe she should go back to working in 1974 and expect the world to bow before her.

September 14, 2018 @ 12:38 PM

@cGrant

Don't be obtuse. Nobody is suggesting Meredith turn down the opportunities presented to her by Corus.

September 14, 2018 @ 4:00 PM

bsmntdwllr73

This issue has nothing to do with gender or pay equality or anything like that!! And also nothing
wrong with the fact that there are still many people who are passionate about creative local
radio, despite being a bit of an oxymoron or quite anachronistic at this point!! We comment/complain and post (sometimes repeatedly, HI!!) because we care.

September 14, 2018 @ 4:11 PM

BB

The difference in audio quality (between Tom's microphone and Meredith's) is driving me nuts. I've been trying to listen to the afternoon show, but when she and Tom have a conversation it is so evident that they aren't in the same room that I have to turn it off.

September 14, 2018 @ 4:31 PM

Simulcast in six cities

It doesn't bother me too much if they're essentially syndicating their own shows, as long as the DJ is half-decent, but you have to do it a certain way for it to work. Do NOT try to pretend you're local if you're not. Fearless Fred does the same thing, talking as if he's local but then giving jarring hints that he's not. That caller talking about her cottage in Muskoka almost works on the London station. It does not on the Winnipeg one.

September 14, 2018 @ 5:54 PM

Chuck99

The increase in voice-tracking at 102.1 is largely due to declining ratings, which means there is less money to pay for on-air talent. The Edge, Indie 88 and 94.9 The Rock are all fishing from the same listener pool...young males. But fewer people in that age group are listening to terrestrial radio and eventually most of the demo ages out and adopts different listening habits. The more successful stations in the market such as CHFI and Boom appeal to an older demographic that stills listens to the radio. I believe that either Indie or The Edge will eventually have to change formats

September 14, 2018 @ 6:32 PM

Matt

Radio, always looking for ways to cut jobs

September 14, 2018 @ 6:39 PM

Ryan

Good for Meredith for holding down 4 jobs and doing well enough at it to keep them all. However, I dont like it as it is taking spots from others. Was it too hard for Corus to find talent locally in the GTA?

September 14, 2018 @ 7:54 PM

Dan Forth

Chuck99,

What source do you quote that fewer people in that age group (young males) are listening to terrestrial radio? Opinion or fact? Curious as to where you came across this information.

I do agree with you about Indie 88 or Edge changing format, not Edge until they have new ownership and not Indie until they have new...oh you get it.

September 15, 2018 @ 3:08 PM

Andrew

If Toronto Mike could go back and find my rants on the 88.1 fiasco, I basically talk about the fact that radio is local and will always be local. So, so many stations have tried to do this and failed miserably.

People want to hear local news, local events, traffic, weather, etc etc. I love Calgary - I could care less about what's going on in Calgary on a day to day basis.

I have no idea who Meredith is, I'm sure she's a lovely person and all, but she's not involved with Toronto, or any other city she does work for that she doesn't live in.

I love being able to go from coast to coast of this great country, my work lets me do that. One of the things I do is turn on and listen to local radio. It's fantastic.

I've said this so many times when I've been on with Mike - I can listen to music anywhere, anytime now. Give me a compelling reason to tune in and having great jocks is one way to do it. Let them talk. Let them share stories.

It seems so simple, but it just won't happen.

September 15, 2018 @ 3:16 PM

Jai

I live for radio but is so boring seems the owners all love automation as the dollars come
creativity has gone out the window. What happened to the gold old days of radio when
CFTR 680 and 10 50 Chum were going head to head for our ears when radio was exciting
great music and super radio personalities..Real radio wars. it appears now everyone is just
happy to be on the air and getting a piece of the pie. Morning shows were fun now if you miss
it you miss it...what a shame.

September 15, 2018 @ 10:21 PM

Storm

"Edge is currently running Kid Craig and Ian Lynch on mornings. - Brian Cook

Hope they remain with the Edge and not let go when the new permanent morning show is in place. I think it is abysmal to change the on air shift of a current deejay and then release them if the new shift doesn't work out, such as the Edge did with Adam.

September 16, 2018 @ 9:32 AM

Chuck 99

@ Dan Forth

I will give you three reasons why young males are listening to less terrestrial radio. !) Spotify 2) Pandora 3) Apple Music. In Canada, you can currently stream Spotify for free and listen to only four or five minutes of commercials per hour with digital sound and much deeper and broader playlists. The streaming services are changing terrestrial radio the way Netflix has changed network television.

September 18, 2018 @ 12:10 AM

Dan Forth

Chuck99,

What is the level tuning and time spent on digital services vs radio for young males. As it is a digital service, the matrix would be easy to track. Your statement seems matter of fact however what is your source for this information. The reason I ask is, do you have anything to base your opinion on or is your statement your opinion.

September 18, 2018 @ 7:13 AM

Max power

@dan forth
@chuck99
Dan do you realize its 2018? Lets go over chucks numbers, spotify 140 million monthly users 70 million paid subscribers, apple over 50 million paid subscribers, siriusxm over 33 million subscribers.. never mind the hundreds of millions of song or podcast downloads each month..
Technology and choice has eroded every part of mainstream media reach. Every network is way down in ratings relative to historical numbers. People consume media differently.
Why do you think people are attached to their devices, for news updates from CFRB???
I for one listen exclusively to podcasts or spotify as i find regular radio nauseating, and im no spring chicken...

September 20, 2018 @ 7:15 AM

Rjp

I have to agree with @BB. I heard a bit off Meredith and Tom today for the first time. The differences in their mics and audio quality was unbearable. Unfortunately there is nothing worth listening to on the edge anymore.. sad because I grew up on that station.

September 20, 2018 @ 10:29 PM

Steve

If we want to argue that interest in radio is down, should we not also argue that radio, to a not insignificant degree, did this to itself? The less locally relevant you make yourself, the less relevant you become. The less interesting your programming, the less interested anyone is going to be in listening to it. It really is that simple.

The one advantage that radio has over any other form of media is its ability to package and deliver real time information and entertainment in a way that nothing else can. When the power goes out, for example, what are you going to do? Download a podcast for updates? Follow a Spotify playlist called "some guy hit a pole and the power is out in my end of town"? Of course not. You're going to find some batteries and turn on a radio. Sure it's easier than ever to get some of that information from places like Twitter, but there's only so much of that you're going to want to do because you're going to need your phone for other things so will want to conserve *that* battery.

All of this automation and job combining in the name of cost savings is taking away the only things that radio still has going for it. And as I said in a previous comment, none of the folks whose job it is to care about these things gives the first damn. It would be nice if they started, preferably before there's no industry left.

September 26, 2018 @ 2:20 PM

kelly

I wondered why it sounded like she was in a fishbowl.

September 26, 2018 @ 3:15 PM

Tara

I'm a ten year plus edge listener and i have never found it so painful to listen to as I do when its the Tom & Meredith show. It is so forced and not funny in any way. It actually causes me to not listen to the edge during that time. The edge needs to get back to the in your face quirky-ness that all the other hosts. possess.

Now knowing she is not even broadcasting local I am even more bothered.

October 11, 2018 @ 5:13 PM